Best base items for RW's?

jrlafrance

Nov 29, 2004
Best base items for RW's?

As linked to in my signature, for X-Mas, I would like to make these runewords from my HFRing. My question is what are the best base items for them?

For these assume they will be used by Frenzy/WW the most:

Beast (I'm thinking Berserker Axe) Superior or not?
Doom (Berserker Axe) Sup. of not?
Grief (Berserker Axe) Sup. or not?

These will be general items for different characters:
Chains of Honor (Archon Plate) Sup. or not?
Delirium (No idea whatsoever)
Fortitude Armor (Archon Plate) Sup. or not?
Fortitude Weapon (No idea)
Silence (No idea, I'm assuming Bow/XBow, but could be anything with 6os)

Now you may be thinking to yourself, why didn't he ask about Call to Arms? Well, I've already made it, and will divulge the item at a later date! :grin:

One other question. I have Ber and Sur from before HF rushing. Doom obviously requires Cham. Should I save all runes and do Doom first, then continue HFRing to complete the rest? I think that would be the best thing, but I really want to make Beast soon! I also think it would be quicker in the long run to wait and make Doom, Cubing to Cham could take a very long time without Ber and Sur head start!

Wow, quite the list. just out of curiosity, do you really think you'll be able to manage the rest of the runes in the next few weeks.

Anyways, I agree with Zerkers but I don't think Sup is worth the cost, definately not for grief.

Edit: Also fort in a weapon? A fort/fort barb sounds cool as a project, if a bit expensive, but after this you would have much better weapon options.

As linked to in my signature, for X-Mas, I would like to make these runewords from my HFRing. My question is what are the best base items for them?

Now you may be thinking to yourself, why didn't he ask about Call to Arms? Well, I've already made it, and will divulge the item at a later date! :grin:

One other question. I have Ber and Sur from before HF rushing. Doom obviously requires Cham. Should I save all runes and do Doom first, then continue HFRing to complete the rest? I think that would be the best thing, but I really want to make Beast soon! I also think it would be quicker in the long run to wait and make Doom, Cubing to Cham could take a very long time without Ber and Sur head start!

Seriously, you're crazy. :yikes::yikes: All I can say is good luck with that project. You're gonna need it:prop:

The way I see it, go with mundane items for things that need to be repaired frequently like melee weapons and armor pieces for melee characters. And if or when it comes to self-repairing or indestructible rune words, then Superior would be the best.

Deff don't sup the CoH or Enigma (or fort for that matter, i personally prefer an eth one on the merc) unless you have it on a goldfind barb, b/c the prices will drive you insane...and why not try getting those weapon rw's on a PB? I mean you lose out on range but at least you don't gotta repair every 5 mins

Beast should be in an eth glitched zerker. Find a 5 socket eth zerker, make 'Death' in it, unsocket it with Hel recipe (zerker should now be indestructible), then make Beast. No reason not to use a superior 1.07 eth zerker if you can get your hands on one. Just make sure that all the runes you use for 'Death' are version 1.10+.

Grief should also be in an eth glitched zerker if you're going to pair it with Beast on a barb. If you don't roll at least 34 IAS, Hel it so you can reuse the same axe for another attempt. For characters other than barbs Grief PB > Grief zerker.

Fortitude should be in a plain archon. Superior just makes repair costs stupidly high.

Everything else just isn't worth the effort, especially not Doom unless you already have a Cham. If you're going to do the HF rushes anyways, you can get Infinity and Faith for the price of Doom. Faith is somewhat comparable to WF, but Infinity is one of two items (Enigma being the other) that can elevate a character (lightning sorc, and to a lesser extent LF zon) to god tier. Doom is just a PvP toy for barbs to BM zons and smiters with.

this is goind to take you a damn long time to do. For the fort, i'll suggest non-sup ap, and i never did it in a wep.

jrlafrance said:
I made mine in a diadem. My Kingslayer enchantress is currently much enjoying the crowd control. With the +defense mod, the base item type matters less, as it's not based off the base defense; you can get marginally higher defense from other items, or you can opt for something that looks cool. A crown, grand crown, or corona would be another good choice; I think they look pretty cool on most characters.

For the armor, Fortitude is a nice one, but a much cheaper option (useful for defense-driven characters) is Prudence in ethereal armor. If you get an ethereal armor, and socket it with the cube recipe, you get the ethereal bonus again, for a net of (100 * 1.5) * 1.5 = 225% base defense. The %ED from Prudence is applied on top of this, and since it's self-repair, you don't need to worry about that. My sorcy is using an ethereal Prudence scarab husk, and tops 10k defense with other gear and Shiver Armor. The only downside to this is you can't use the cube socket recipe on superior items, but hey- you get a big enough bonus from the twice-applied ethereal mod, anyways.

When deciding between superior and normal, keep in mind the armor type. Torso armor is the most often hit, if I recall, and it tends to be the most expensive, so you need to think carefully before using superior here. Obviously, if you're getting self-repair or indestructible as mods, it's not an issue, but as none of your choices offer that, I'd really consider going with normal, unless you want to be hitting the Bank of ATMA between each game. Anything with charges is likewise hugely expensive to repair, and self-repair won't help here (I really wish they had a 'self-recharge' mod; it would be a nice midpoint between charges and oskills). Obviously, any runewords made in a missile weapon are best made in a superior one, unless they have charges that you use with any frequency.

Anything with charges is likewise hugely expensive to repair, and self-repair won't help here (I really wish they had a 'self-recharge' mod; it would be a nice midpoint between charges and oskills). Obviously, any runewords made in a missile weapon are best made in a superior one, unless they have charges that you use with any frequency.

There's a cube thing for repair + refill charges. As far as I remember Ort repairs fully and Ort + some kind of gem (need to look it up at AS for which kind of gem it is) repairs and recharges fully. I usually don't bother when using teleport charges as I generate enough cash for that bit anyway, but for high-end runewords it's sure a valid option.

On battle.net I made a delerium in a druid pelt and it was very helpfull for my elemental druid. Its pretty expensive (sp) for a class specific item but well worth it. If I was to make one to be used for any class I would make it in a bone visage. Druid helms are nice though if you have a druid!!

i second pharoah in making delirium in circlet class..
made mine in a diadem too for my zon and it was useful as well as nice-looking..
put it in a tiara if u wanna use it instantly plus no strength reqs 4 mercs.
e +def offset the pathetic innate circlet def as well=)

Though I strognly advice against the Doom (until a Cham drops, which is more likely to happen before you can cube one through HF rushing), I think it's best made in a polearm to get Holy Freeze on your Might merc! It might be pretty badass on a barb or frost zealot, but for such an expensive runeword, you'd want more universal use.

I've nothing to add to the advice given about the rest.

Wow thats some insane RW you want to make:wink3:
As for doom rw....gib me jah, ber and I will make your life easier:thumbsup:

I would make the body armor RWs in a non-sup armor, or keep a large supply of Orts around. Or is it Rals?
As for Delirium, if it is to be used for multiple characters, I would go with something with decent defense, like a Corona. It takes some strength, but the extra defense really shows over the tiara/coronet option. If it is for a druid/barb, try and find a helm with +skills, for instance a +3 to Battle Orders helm works well.

I would not make Doom, rather make Infinity, Faith or Enigma. And using Sup items are a pain in the *** to repair, remember Zerkers break FAST!

As for Delerium, maybe a +3 Bo helm or Druid helm? Or a high-def build would suit great a Corona Delerium, Bone Visage or Deamon Head.

I sceond Aman, dont make Forti in a weapon. AP is a classic choice for Forti, looks great on many chars.

As for Silence, I would much rather make a Death rw.

And if you insist on making Silence, just make sure that no matter what you do, don't make it in a ilvl 99 Hydra Bow :rolleyes:

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High