ATMA Bugging and D2 Resurrected

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxicek

Guide Author
Aug 5, 2005
As most people will be aware by now, we will be able to import our Single Player Characters into D2 Ressurected. ATMA almost certainly won't be supported, GoMule is questionable due to the multi-tab stash. I'm assuming that it won't work, at least in the short term.

I want to use this as a clean break to remove one of the more controversial practices from the SPF, ATMA bugging of Ethereal Weapons. As this is a function of a third party program and was never available in any version, I want to leave this in the past. I expect we will get people coming to this forum who have never played the game before when it launches, I want this forum to be as legitimate as possible.

So this thread is to give people warning, I don't want to ban this the day after you make a new ATMA bugged Grief.
  • For 1.13 / 1.14 players: ATMA bugged weapons will still be permitted but discouraged as per the rules.
  • For D2R Players: ATMA bugged weapons will not be permitted.
  • I'm not considering banning anything else currently, including time travelled items.

I'm going to be brave and leave this thread open for comments and questions. Please be constructive, I don't want this to escalate into a rules discussion.

For those of us who only used ATMA as intended, can someone explain exactly what an atma bugged weapon is?

Totally d'accord with this! I think it was unfortunate that there was no way to remove the accidentally bugged items and all that came from it. D2R seems like a perfect cut.

Regarding that topic and because I somewhere saw it in one of the time traveller threads here: ATMA bugging is via rune words OR Zod rune, right? Because it somehow sounded in the thread, as if Zodding and removing the Zod was an in-game feature for permanent indestructibility. I can't find the post right now though. Does anyone know where I read that?

Regarding that topic and because I somewhere saw it in one of the time traveller threads here: ATMA bugging is via rune words OR Zod rune, right? Because it somehow sounded in the thread, as if Zodding and removing the Zod was an in-game feature for permanent indestructibility. I can't find the post right now though. Does anyone know where I read that?
It used to be that the game itself would overwrite Durability of an item if it is socketed with a Zod, this happens in 1.07-1.09. So in those patches the "bugging" is 100% something you can achieve without 3rd party applications (you can remove the Zod in 1.10a+ and it will stay indestructible).
So the way ATMA behaves is appropriate for 1.07-1.09 but does not conform to how Diablo 2 itself handles Indestructibility from 1.10a onwards. As far as I know ATMA was born in 1.09 times and so it would make sense that this is why we have ATMA-bugging at all.

You're probably thinking of the intro post to the 1.09 News, Info and Gossip thread.

Reactions: maxicek and Grisu
If someone bugs an item with a pre-1.10 Zod, without ATMA that is OK :)

As Art said, probably when Hakai wrote ATMA it wasn't even considered. This problem was only discovered with the 1.10 RWM RWs. This was in about 1.11b when runes were very rare. The moderators at the time thought it was unfair to ask people to delete their hard won items, so it was decided to allow it. When 1.13d hugely increased the HR drops, it went from something only a few people did to much more common. But I think D2R is an opportune moment to make a clean cut.

For openness: I have several ATMA bugged items, so this affects me too. I will probably start D2R from scratch then import items later, especially if GoMule doesn't work initially.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grisu
ATMA bugging is via rune words OR Zod rune, right? Because it somehow sounded in the thread, as if Zodding and removing the Zod was an in-game feature for permanent indestructibility. I can't find the post right now though. Does anyone know where I read that?

I know where you read that as I originally posted this. Unfortunately it was in answer to someone else's question so I don't have any way way to find the thread. I never got into time travelling and really started playing in 1.10 so I can't speak to version before that.

The basic idea was that items in D2 (again 1.10+ at least) have a indestructible flag and a durability. A zero (-1?) max durability also indicates indestructibility. If you made an item indestructible (Zod or RW, sets indestructible flag) and then moved the item in ATMA, ATMA would also overwrite the max durability with zero (-1?). When the zod or rw was removed, the indestructible flag would be cleared but the durability was not updated, leave the item indestructible.

Found It.

Edit: Wow, I used to know so much stuff of questionable value. Of course, it looks like I used to be quite a prat at times. Maybe this is better.

Last edited:
What about legit Zod-bugged items, I don't know exactly in which patch that was possible, but the process was:

drop a zod in an item, remove it in a later patch (don't know which is crucial), tada! indestructable item with socket(s)

edit: lol, ok I have read the thread, nevermind^^

What about legit Zod-bugged items, I don't know exactly in which patch that was possible, but the process was:

drop a zod in an item, remove it in a later patch (don't know which is crucial), tada! indestructable item with socket(s)
I knew about that but I didn't know you could use ATMA to do this too. It's good that the rules will be codified well before the release of D2 R.

So in 1.13+ if Zod/RW removed from item (no use of ATMA, only in-game) it won't be indestructible anymore?

I know about ATMA bug but got the impression - at least for Zod - it happened even without ATMA.

I like the move. Back when I joined the SPF it surely was a bit perplexing to learn about this being common practice (nowadays at least), and I can only imagine new people joining due to D2R would feel the same.

So in 1.13+ if Zod/RW removed from item (no use of ATMA, only in-game) it won't be indestructible anymore?

I know about ATMA bug but got the impression - at least for Zod - it happened even without ATMA.
See art_vandelay's post above:
It used to be that the game itself would overwrite Durability of an item if it is socketed with a Zod, this happens in 1.07-1.09. So in those patches the "bugging" is 100% something you can achieve without 3rd party applications (you can remove the Zod in 1.10a+ and it will stay indestructible).
So the way ATMA behaves is appropriate for 1.07-1.09 but does not conform to how Diablo 2 itself handles Indestructibility from 1.10a onwards. As far as I know ATMA was born in 1.09 times and so it would make sense that this is why we have ATMA-bugging at all.

You're probably thinking of the intro post to the 1.09 News, Info and Gossip thread.
It is possible in patches 1.07 to 1.09 only. After that it is not possible anymore to do this ingame. The reason why you can only legitimately bug an item with Zod is because in 1.07 to 1.09 there was no runeword that granted the indestructible mod. That was only from 1.10 onwards, where they apparently changed how indestructible worked (maybe with the new cheap runewords and unsocketing in mind?). ATMA though still uses the old method of flaggin indestructible items and overwriting properties, so it does something (in 1.10+) you can't do ingame.

@Grisu, at least for Zod it does work in-game:

"(you can remove the Zod in 1.10a+ and it will stay indestructible)"

I agree with this ruleing. I have always disliked the idea of usage of this bug. I will definately follow this rule regardless of whether I upgrade to D2R or not. (Not that I think I will ever have the Zod to bug something, but still.)

@Kartongen you dont need a zod. I haven't seen it mentioned explicitly yet, but from what I understand, the most common way to use this was to put an oath runeword (for indestructible mod) in eth zerker axes, then hel it out for a grief base. Always just seemed like such cheese to me, but I know I wasn't around for those old days.

Oh wow, Pul is the highest you need. I guess that puts it within reach for me. I agree with you though @Luhkoh, it feels so cheesy.

If the premise is based on legitimacy, then 'Zod Bugging' inside of 1.07 through 1.09 needs to be considered as legitimate.

Of course, if the premise is based on Forum Acceptance, that can change entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High