Anyone running D2 in MacOS Catalina?

maxicek

Guide Author
Aug 5, 2005
I’m re-writing the D2 and Macs thread (at George RR Martin speed) and wondered who is actually running D2 in Catalina?

If yes, please share what method / Software you are using and how well it is working for you.

Thanks

max.

Technically this doesn't apply to me any more because recently I switched to Win 10 on a Bootcamp partition, after getting a new MacBook with Catalina. But I only took that route because I wanted runs to be as fast as possible. Virtual environments under Mac weren't quite ideal for that.

Generally I had always preferred running natively under Mac OS, so before resorting to the above I tried a few VM options. My favorite solution by far was Codeweavers' Crossover. There's a 14 day free trial version, but it costs 60€/equivalent otherwise. If you're willing to spend that I can definitely recommend it. It worked almost perfectly really, just the occasional FPS spike, but otherwise it's barely noticeable that D2 is not running natively.

Using GoMule natively under Mac OS was no problem either, I only had to dig a little in the Crossover folders to find the save folder. I didn't get commands like -ns etc. to work, though (which would also apply to RWM I guess). I'm not very tech savvy though so there's a good chance someone else will be able to get it to work easily.

Reactions: maxicek
I have RWM working in Wine, I expect it will be similar.

What version of Windoze are you running in your bootcamp partition?

I went for Windows 10. It's up-to-date and Microsoft offers a free download of the unactivated version. Activiation keys are cheap anyway, but not necessary. The unactivated version has some features blocked but those are irrelevant from what I could tell.

Reactions: maxicek
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High