D2 About that D2R Survey - Thoughts?

Rush

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 12, 2020
So a survey was recently run on the direction of D2R, mainly from Reddit contributors and it brought up some interesting results as far as what people are looking for from D2R. While there's a lot a I don't agree with in the results as far as QOL additions and other things are concerned.

What do you think? Is the community in danger of seriously wrecking Diablo 2 if Blizzard pays attention to documents like this? Here are the survey results in which around 4K people responded. Thoughts?

Reactions: Yogirat and coju
Most the QOL of life stuff I agree with, after playing a few mods with separate Charm area, I find it to be a total convenience feature.

I would like new runewords, updated uniques, and added uniques for throwing weapons out to wazoo to make sure all throwing weapons get uniques.

Then again I have a long list of stuff I would love to see, but understand probably none of it would be implemented along with the majority of that "wishlist" (like for instances, /pX will not make it into Battle.net, but I would actually like it to be available as long as two or more players are in the game to account for duo players)

So basically whatever the question the answer is yes. I think people are getting a wrong picture about what this game is going to be. IMHO only minor changes are necessary. If you want a new game there is D4 in the making which will probably have all those features in the survey...

Is D2R the 2nd expansion for D2?
Naw, but based on what Brevik said, I would not be surprised if some parts of a second expansion exist after seeing how much stuff Vicarious found.

The question is do they do anything other than release with a few QOLs, which is on everybody's mind. Think it comes down to a lot of factors.

My list:

1. How much did they make from doing the remake, aka copies sold.
2. How much of a second expansion is done actually if any?
3. It would have to be in able, purely IMO, to be released at minimum about a year before D4 launch and with the 6-12m post launch window of D2R.
4. Maybe it isn't a full fledged expansion, but more like a DLC introducing new endgame systems(maps, new items, even new skills added as the Skill Tree ui looks like it could easily support it now), easily copied from a few wonderful mods with their own take.

Yep, after looking at this I typed I live in a dreamland. All good though, hope for the best, expect the normal on this :cool:

Naw, but based on what Brevik said, I would not be surprised if some parts of a second expansion exist after seeing how much stuff Vicarious found.
What did Vicarious find? I was wondering why no one has tried getting old characters running. That would enable nightmare and hell to be played if it can be selected from the main menu.

@In The Name of Zod Here VV found a bunch of old files and stuff along with original arts, etc.

About the 36minute mark they got into details about finding a fair amount of source material and I wouldn't be surprised if additional Act with the cleric was already being worked on and some of the files were present too:

Here is a link that supposedly shows a new Blizzard survey for D2:
Am I missing something, or is there a disconnect here? We recently saw in an interview that the devs were trying to deliver D2R as a faithful version of D2, and now a new survey is out? Either it is fake, or we have some weird internal conflict going on at Blizzard.

I'm not sure a lot of those are actually "seasonal only" Buffing specific skills is just dumb and I can't imagine the balance issue (unless it is intended to not exist)

I don't think it is an internal conflict, I'm thinking they are finding out a lot of people want some QOL as well as just general improvements (trash runewords, sets, uniques being improved, new ones, etc)

Like for example, a good improvement for Double Throw would be to add Berserk 1% to it as well per level.

Maybe adjust level requirement, no reason Gladiator's Bane should be 85 for example, honestly IMO 69 should be highest level required for any unique.

Either it is fake, or we have some weird internal conflict going on at Blizzard.
Oh I've no doubt there's some internal conflict. On any remake project, whether it's a game or movie or t.v. show, there's always at least one person in control who thinks they can improve on the original and it nearly always ends in disaster.

We just have to hope that their not as powerful as the voices saying don't fix what ain't broke.

Reactions: Crudesash
I mean I'm not even considering buying it at all if they don't rebalance all of the skills they broke in 1.10. No point in getting the same game twice if it's going to be a half assed remaster.

I don't necessarily want the same exact game again because the skills that are good are boring, half of them are glitched to hell and back, and some of them are just not strong enough despite being skills you learn at lvl 12 or later.

Did you know the necromancer's poison skeletons do less damage the more skeleton mastery you have? It wasn't that big of an issue in 1.09 because the enemy's scaled to the point where it had some use to negate regen. However, almost every enemy in the game doubled in 1.10. That broke how Attack Rating worked because Attack Rating is factored into your defense. Which is why you never hit anything that is a higher level than you.

The synergies aren't balanced well for entire classes at times let alone for some skills that are realistic skills you would want to use. The disparity between good skills and bad ones are absolutely ridiculous and it is caused by the synergy values being completely lazily implemented.

I've played the game for 21 years, but I'm not blinded that the game needs updates. Drastic game changing updates to actually make it a successful game. The D2 community has been broken for many years now. It went from a game where there were probably 50 000 games up on any server at a time to where there are only like 2000 on a given server at a time and like 75% of those are bots.

The uninteresting skill balance killed the game years ago for multiplayer. Most of the playerbase plays single player now. So I welcome any of the quality of life changes to make the game feel less annoying. 1.10 broke so much of the game so drastically I do not care what the change is I'm for it. As long as it follows the vision of what Diablo 2 was made for. So that doesn't really mean much. Same basic gameplay. I'm attached to none of the UI, none of the loot based systems, and none of the drop rates that are so low I have a better chance of winning the lottery 100 times on a full moon during an amish honey moon than to roll past it on the loot table.

Also I want all of the super unique bosses back. Razorspine is my homie and they removed like 4 more bosses just like him due to loading time problems. That no longer being an issue would be a great time to bring them back.

I would not worry about any of that crap with WC3 reforged because that was a different team, different company, and they weren't made before wc3 reforged happening. VV has already made a better remaster of the original like 3 times before to overwhelming success so I trust they will probably do so again here.

I trust VV more with the update than Blizzard's own legacy team since those are the clowns that released 1.10 to begin with. Where it wasn't a complete and absolute failure it did diminish the perfect balance the game had before that. To where not every build was good, but nearly every single one was viable in 1.09.

Reactions: KremBanan
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High