A Character Lost

Zenigma

Jan 19, 2014
Anyone know how to recover characters? I experienced a power outage while playing and my dearest untwinked CB sorc has disappeared from the character menu. All her files seem to be present in the d2 save folder with all my other characters' files. Anyone know how to get a character back under these circumstances?

The last time I backed up my save files was 3 years ago, and an older version of the character is in there. If there is no organic way of pulling her back, can I copy a piece of her save file from the older one to get her to pop back up in the character menu with what she had from her last save? I'm not going to resurrect a three year old save file. If I can't get her back with anything less than 2 hours of progress lost, I guess I have to start from square one.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Swamigoon
Do you use GoMule or similar? Can you open the .d2s and manipulate it successfully within the mule program?

Reactions: Zenigma
Gomule. Opening the character comes back with an empty character sheet, across the top it reads 'disconnected"

A very simple test is to copy the files to another location, delete them in the save folder, run D2 and exit, then paste them back in the save folder and run the game again. I had the problem with characters not showing at one occassion (when this worked) but I don't remember the circumstances.

Reactions: Zenigma
Gomule keeps backups every time you change something on a character/stash. Try searching for a file that will look like yourcharname.timestamp.d2s.org in Gomule.backup folders and copy the latest working one to the save folder and ditching the.org suffix. Best of luck!

Reactions: Zenigma and Luhkoh
Gomule keeps backups every time you change something on a character/stash. Try searching for a file that will look like yourcharname.timestamp.d2s.org in Gomule.backup folders and copy the latest working one to the save folder and ditching the.org suffix. Best of luck!
What folder would it be in? The only backups I'm finding are for extended stashes

E: I found the folder, but is there anything else I have to do to the file name to get it to register, by chance?

E#2: It worked!!!! I found the correct folder, and when I was changing the extension, I ended up adding an extra .d2s--Thank you all very much for the input

@Maltatai I tried this fix, and it wasn't successful--the file had data in it (3KB of memory) but it wasn't registering in game.
@skiffcz It worked after locating the file and finagling with the file type. I really appreciate not throwing this character down the drain :geek:

Final edit for clarity: Just went through the stash and deleted anything that I had already deposited by verifying fingerprints. Also deleted anything in the stash that didn't have a fingerprint (3 flawless gems), as I might have already deposited them. I know I'm not trader, but I still don't want to be a traitor ;) And considering the fact that she will eventually be going on the UT99er thread when she's done farming, I want her to be as authentic as possible. Worth noting that all I lost was a pair of Marrowwalk boots. So I'm happy that I'll be able to post to the IFT with her item progress soon! Apoptosis the CB sorc is back from the brink of destruction!

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High