2021 Spring RFL Sign Up and Running Thread: Round 2 (Travincal)

What equipment are you using on your Sorcs? Someone remind me what the magic number is for rares in terms of MF please?
Council are mlvl 85 and rings are qlvl 1, so it's 170 MF where rare chance bottoms out. Full table for "bottom out" values:
raresetbottom.png
mlvl = m ; qlvl = q ; Reg. = non-classpecific item, Class = classspecific item

Reactions: maxicek
@art_vandelay Thanks for posting the table, I haven't seen that one before.

So....
Greater Talons qlvl = 50. 85-50 = 35, so 379% MF
Runic Talons qlvl = 81. 85-81 = 4, so 569% MF

Realistically RTs don't drop enough as a base to stack this much MF, but adding more MF for GTs is interesting for me.

So....
Greater Talons qlvl = 50. 85-50 = 35, so 379% MF
Runic Talons qlvl = 81. 85-81 = 4, so 569% MF
Nope, you're reading from the regular column but claws are class items, so it's 250% MF for GTs and 338% MF for RTs. You can go for both. :p

This is btw the MF needed for the rare roll chance to bottom out, but before that comes the unique roll. So for GTs more MF than 250% will result in less rares and more Bartuc's. (But not a whole lot)

@Kartongen for budget blizz trav runner, I would think you'd want to get to like lvl 88ish (easy to do with blizz at pindle), but I don't know that a specific character level is critical. Then want want gear with max res (except poison), a cta for sure, and maybe a dwarf star (and ofc hellmouths if you have them, but if not it's fine). More importantly, you would want to have the GA/kiras for your merc. Without that merc setup, things are tough. You could use steel shade and some other armor with res as well, but merc will fry anytime the council has conviction.

But if you have all that, by farrrr the most important thing is map. As a non-infinity runner, you are looking for a map where all of the council except toorc are out on the balcony clumped together nicely, and toorc is inside alone. Fortunately toorc is inside alone a whole lot of the time, but it still can be a big effort to roll a map with the rest clumped together nicely on the balcony. Without a nice map like this, runs dont only get longer, but also get a lot more dangerous, chaotic, and frustrating. Also without infinity, dont need to cast static at all (so dont put extra points in it), and I'd probably shoot ice blasts between blizzards. Hope that helps. Good luck!

Reactions: Kartongen
Looks like my Blizz sorc map is pretty good. I was running Meph for essences with her with the same map, so one of these rolls is quite lucky. All on the balcony, not too spread out.

Screenshot004.jpg

I couldn't find a high MF setup that didn't compromise resists or +skills too much. Setup is Vipermagi & Shako, I get about 200MF with this. I may try a full Tal's with facets at some point in the future, but I obviously want to prioritise runes now.

I will still be starting with the Barb though.

Reactions: Luhkoh
@Kartongen Why not a barb for a budget build? Get a map with all the council inside, use the stairs to Durance to pull the merc in. 2x Oath, LoH, Reapers on the Merc and you are pretty much there.

How do you get the council members to spawn on the "outer areas" consistently?

I try to tele there asap. Most of the time successful yet they still don't spawn there 100% of the time.

@saracen85 You need Grip's posts about the magic line.

Reactions: saracen85
Yeah, seems exactly like a "magic line" issue @saracen85. :)

Grip's rune finding guide is a must read for Trav running and includes all the information.

In the 101 thread I compiled there's also several setups, example videos and some notes on build & gear in this post (section 3.2 for Blizzy). Could be helpful in particular for those relatively new to this. It also so links to a few approaches from after Grip's guide was written, such as his MF focused Sorc and 200 FCR variant.

Reactions: saracen85
@Kartongen Why not a barb for a budget build? Get a map with all the council inside, use the stairs to Durance to pull the merc in. 2x Oath, LoH, Reapers on the Merc and you are pretty much there.
I had 6 h 22 min freetime over the last 3 weeks. So I asked for sorc since I have one in hell, meaning I could dream of getting her ready (let alone run some). I would consider running with my fishyzon if I could find a cheap way to keep merc alive, but I am missing too many key pieces.

How much firedamage do the hydras do to a merc? (I know it is reduced on a player (to 1/6?).)
Also, MDR and integer-absorb is after resists, right?

Edit: But this is a very good suggestion for coming years. Thank you.

Barb is 20 WW, 20 BO, 20 FI, 20 mastery?

How much firedamage do the hydras do to a merc? (I know it is reduced on a player (to 1/6?).)
Also, MDR and integer-absorb is after resists, right?
Check out the original post by @onderduiker :

MDR is before resists so for mercenary it's kinda useless against hydras. Absorb comes after resists which is why everyone has Steelshade on their Blizzard Sorc's merc even though it only has the absorb and nothing else.

@maxicek @ffs

Thanks! Did not know about this strat! Trying Enigma this time on my WW-er. Normally I literally run Trav :p

EDIT: Good luck all! It's the 26th here haha.

Last edited:
What is everyone running with?

I decided this year after some good advice from @Babyhell to make a HC Trav runner, and I opted for a zealot.

@Luhkoh said that physical is the way to go, and that seems to be the consensus, so that's what I went for.

The plan? High physical damage complimented with DS and CB. On defense we have stacked resists and some absorb to ease my conscience on the HC side of things.

Standard fanatic zealot build:
20 in Zeal/Sacrifice/Fanat/Holy Shield
rest into Defiance for the defense boost

First off, he rolled a fantastic grief!

Code:
Grief
Superior Phase Blade
'EthTirLoMalRal'
One-Hand Damage: 34 to 38
Required Dexterity: 136
Required Strength: 25
Required Level: 59
Sword Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Indestructible
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x80b227ab
+10% Enhanced Damage
+1 to Attack Rating
Adds 5-30 fire damage
+10 Life after each Kill
33% Increased Attack Speed
Adds +398 Damage
Ignore Target Defense
-25% Target Defense
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
20% Deadly Strike
35% Chance to cast Level 15 Venom on striking
1% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
-20% to Enemy Poison Resistance
Socketed (5: 5 used)

Yes, the IAS is pathetic, but that doesn't matter for this build as he's already at max speed due to Fanatacism. Plus 10% for the superior blade and it's even a little bit more impressive! o_O

The rest of the gear is pretty self-explanatory:
Guillaumes
Enigma
HoZ
LoH/SoE/Gores
Highlord's/Dwarf Star/TEH FROAT

Bunch of Sharp/Fine charms with life and res where needed. 2 columns of empty space for picking.

81% deadly strike to start out (will increase as he levels due to highlords) plus a healthy dose of CB

Merc: Might
Steel Shade
Fortitude
Reapers

Here he is patiently waiting to begin his set, just passed 85:

Screenshot033.jpg

And one cool thing about him, he's FUN. He's decently efficient too! True, he'll never hang with the Blizz sorcs and the WW barbs in terms of efficiency, but he's fast enough to feel like I'm not just wasting my time so that's fantastic.

30-35s runs on average depending how much I try and pick up. He feels extremely durable, I've only had to use purples on the merc in his young trav career so far. The merc has been dying a bit, but only to conviction so I'm gonna hang tight on his gear and see if some more levels help him out a bit.

Good luck everyone!

I'm running my blizz sorc with pretty much the same setup as last year. Except now that I have all unique jewelry for the grail, I dont really care about mf (facets... who cares :p). Still will run with travs because zero mf feels wrong somehow, but otherwise I don't care about it haha. I still am not willing to make a non-eth coh for the sorc, since I think this setup is 99.9% as good. But even if I'm wrong on that, I just don't like trav enough to spend high runes that would only get used once a year here. And ofc, still no fathom unfortunately, so hoto remains.

helm - nightwings (facet)
amulet - maras
weapon - hoto
armor - perfect viper (facet)
shield - spirit
gloves - hellmouth
belt - snowclash
ring1 - soj
ring2 - soj
boots - travs
charms - 4 skillers and some life, res, and/or mana on scs, so 4x4 free space
merc - holy freeze with infinity, kiras, GA

Last year I had nagel rings, a ptopaz in a viper, gheeds, and 7mfscs for more mf for 200ish total, and that worked well too.

@art_vandelay steel shade is only good with infinity merc since his conviction cancels out that of council. With non infinty merc you need kiras and GA, and in my experience it works just as well, so i just use kiras + GA for all characters. Just makes merc not hit quite as hard since he's not wearing fort.

@maxicek @Kartongen I ran 2018 rfl with dual oath no-engima on barb just on p1 and I hated it haha. You 100% need reapers on merc to even consider running it imo (maybe lawbringer would work fine, but then no might aura). I think zealot works better on a budget tbh. Though I'm not sure if thats still true if no cta. But lets say you have cta, or have tested and its comfortable enough with out it... Then you still need kiras+GA and reapers/lawbringer, but then just need any reasonably hard hitting weapon, and he survives much better I think. Though I'm sure is a decent bit less efficient with no hork.

@Pb_pal nice! Looks great. Similar runtimes to what I got on my zealot, definitely fun and a decent runner. If you have kiras and GA (preferably with rals or jewels with fres), thats way better on your merc since you dont have conviction canceling powers as mentioned above. Looking forward to seeing the runs!

I plan on doing my first set with a zealot as well. He's just gotta finish questing through hell first. 2nd set will probably be split between blizz sorc and WW barb. Thanks @Luhkoh for the merc gearing tips! I didn't even think about Kira's being much better than Steelshade without Infinity, and that makes total sense.

My berzerker seems to be my best trav runner so far, so that will be my choice. He may not be as efficient as the builds suggested by Gripphon in the article @art_vandelay linked, but so far he's been easier for me to keep alive (at least at /p1, I still want to experiment with /p3). Also, he can hork.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High