2020 Spring RFL Sign Up and Running Thread: Round 3 (Areas)

PhineasB

Guide Author
Mar 14, 2020
Let me warmly welcome you all to the RFL! This thread is for signing-up and talking about the third and last round of the 2020 Spring RFL!

What is RFL?
RFL stands for Rune Finding League. RFL is a free for all rune finding tournament that has three individual parts. You can participate for every three round or pick only one or two.

During this contest we farm runes in various areas during 3 weeks periods, with one week of rest and planning between each round. Players get points based on rarity of the rune (not its level) and at the end each player posts top 5 highest scored runes to get the final score.

For the first round we run Cow level, second is about running Travincal Council Members and for the last round we run areas of one's own choice.

When is RFL?
So, this third round starts on Friday, 7 May at 0.00 and ends on Thursday, 28 May at 23.59. Sign-up is open for each round until the end.

Standings after two rounds:
1. Art_vandalay (15 points)
2 .Pb_pal (12 points)
3. WoRG (10 points)
3. Nano (10 points)
5. Gripphon (8 points)
6. ffs (7 points)
6. PhineasB (7 points)
8. Babyhell (6 points)
9. Zemaj (4 points)
10. Arctodus (3 points)
11. CaseyJones (2 points)
12. MrBlonde (1 point)

General rules
These are rules that stand for all the three rounds. Specific rules for the first round are posted below.
  1. For each round, running time is limited to 20 hours of playing (when you mule to stash or in ATMA/GoMule, you can pause clock/counter/online stopwatch or whatever you use). However, when you finish your 20 hours of running, you can start a new batch of running which is again limited to 20 hours of playing. You can play as many batches as you want.
  2. You are not allowed to start a new batch as long as you don't finish full 20 hours of the previous one.
  3. Every batch is scored individually, and you will get points towards the league according to your best batch from each round.
  4. Best batch is the one where your top 5 runes give the most scores. Scoring can be found below.
  5. Screenshots of runes are not required, but I assume people would like to see them anyway. You are encouraged to post your findings...
  6. ... but only after each round is finished! Don't post your qualifiers when the round is still going. You are warmly welcome to discuss your other findings however. But remember: Don't post your qualifying runes!
  7. Runes qualified (giving scores) are all Pul+ runes.
  8. Cubing runes into higher ones is not allowed. In other words don't cube Pul runes into Um to get a higher score.
  9. Versions allowed: 1.13-1.14. Also version 1.07 is allowed.

Round 3 Rules
You can run any areas in the game you want (APART from Cow level and Council members). Running areas where all runes can drop is encouraged! ONLY drops from monsters count. You are free to hit chests and objects but runes from these WON'T count.

Scoring
Scoring is based on rarity of runes, not level. System is the same as we had earlier during RFOs and Zodthon. Combine the points of the top 5 runes from your best batch each round.

Pul 3.4
Mal 5.0
Um 5.1
Gul 7.1
Ist 7.5
Ohm 10.1
Vex 10.6
Sur 13.7
Lo 15.1
Jah 18.3
Ber 20.5
Cham 27.5
Zod 71.8 (not available for the 2nd round)

Pul 19.4
Um 29.1
Mal 38.7
Ist 58.0
Gul 77.2
Vex 115.7
Ohm 153.0
Lo 229.6
Sur 308.2
Ber 462.3
Jo 615.8
Zod 739.3
Cham 923.7

Towards the whole competition, however, you will get points after each round depending on your placement.

Scoring towards the whole RFL:
After each round is done, you will get points toward the whole RFL depending your placement that round.

1st: 10 points
2nd: 8
3rd 6
4th: 5
5th: 4
6th: 3
7th 2
8th: 1

And remember, only your best batch from each round counts. While we crown every winner from each round, the biggest champion is of course the overall winner.

The Champion of the RFL is the player who has the most points given by placements total.

In case of a tie after three rounds, the winner is the one with a higher scoring rune from Areas. If that is a tie as well, we check the Travincal, and then Cows. If all three are still the same, it's 2nd best from Areas etc.

Sending results
PM me your top 5 runes from your best batch. Please do this immediately after you have stopped running so that we can have results and standings after each round ASAP. Also PM me if you didn't run. Your PM should include: Forum name, five runes, five scores, and the total score. Example:

PhineasB
Zod 71.8
Cham 27.5
Lo 15.1
Lo 15.1
Ist 7.5
total: 137

After receiving your results, I'll make the results thread for each round. There you can brag about your runes, and also post screenshots of your top 5 runes, at least. This is not mandatory however. Claiming to have found 5 Zods may seem strange without screenshots though.

Prize
Eternal glory and the seal of approval from the Zod God.

Participants (as of 5/11/20)
Please state IF you are running 1.07.
-------------------------
PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell
maxicek
ffs
CaseyJones
Gripphon
jjscud
ESDv2
zemaj
peytron
MrBlonde
J-Dog

There will be a sign-up and running thread for each round individually. This sign-up stands for "Areas" only. Please post if you have comments or suggestions. You are also warmly welcome to discuss your builds, running tactics, finds apart from qualifiers etc.! Everything regarding the tournament in general.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

Last edited:
Sign up is below. I will run the first 10 hours with my Untwinked 99er Barb at Baal. If I'm in the groove, I'll finish the set with thim. If not, I'll do 10 hours in the Pit with my untinwked 99er Druid (currently spec'ed to Windy).

PhineasB

Not positive where I'll run, but leaning towards trying a HC Bowie in CS (definitely not untwinked)...we'll see

PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)

PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh

Woohoo! Been looking forward to this one. Where's everybody running and with what character? I'm planning to run an arcane set for sure (first time in arcane) and will be testing soon whether I want to run it with my javazon or light sorc (i have no griffons). After that, assuming I finish early I'm going to boot up my pitnecro and start lvling him up, and count whatever I get in with that toward a second set. He served me well last year in round 3 anyways.

@WoRG you did a CS bowa last year right? But sc I guess? Will look forward to seeing it. You should make a video this time ^^.

Reactions: PhineasB
PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal

I'm in of course. Back to HC for this one for me, I'll be in the CS with a hammerdin that I've been building over the course of this RFL in between running. I'll properly introduce him next week.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: Luhkoh and PhineasB
PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227

Ran the first 2 rounds, definitely running this round....I got 3-4 characters to choose from. So I’m gonna try to run 2 sets with 2 different characters each to break up the runs. Thinking 1st AS or WSK/Baal with Javazon plus CS with the hammer pally. Then transition to the windy Druid for pits and Blizzard sorc with AT. Could also try my Trapsin with Act 5 Halls to Nihl...All characters have the gear to run P7-P8 except the Trapsin which may be ok to try p5 halls, but probably p3 more than likely. So, right now that’s the plan...subject to change obviously.

Updated from Iphone...will edit tomorrow if table or something isn’t right.

Reactions: Luhkoh and PhineasB
PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano

Not sure what I'm running yet, maybe something other than CS this year..

PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell

Will go with Tournamenteress most probably, so it should be AT for me. Maybe a shared (or even second) set with javazon in AS, I have to run this place!

PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell
maxicek

Considering running the AS, but will probably end up in the CS again. Can someone recommend me Arcane Sanctuary builds / strategies?

PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell
maxicek
ffs

Leaning towards lvl 85 area running with decent MF. Not sure yet which build, but I have some weird things in mind that I'm going to try out. ;)

@maxicek Strongest AS builds so far have been Javazon and Fire Sorc. Maybe Nova isn't much worse. As for strategy, most people just ran the region with the straight path design, not the ones with gaps/portals or twisted stairs. After clearing the outer circle of that, I personally always went back to AS waypoint and to A4 town. Another option is to S&E and start the next run via Warriv => A1. There are a couple of gameplay vids here (end of previous post).

Reactions: maxicek
PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell
maxicek
ffs
CaseyJones

Likely to run RoF and CS on some combination of UT99er Javazon and UT99 nova sorc. I figure I want to gain some decent XP along the way too to maximize time efficiency. AS just doesn't deliver on xp at my char levels.

@CaseyJones Lack of XP is putting me off AS too. If you don't get decent drops, it is pretty depressing if the XP bar doesn't move either...

Reactions: CaseyJones
PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell
maxicek
ffs
CaseyJones
Gripphon

Pitzerker party. I don't need runes, but I wouldn't mind good Griffon's

Reactions: Luhkoh
PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell
maxicek
ffs
CaseyJones
Gripphon
jjscud

My CS runner has been benched for a while as I've been focusing on Baal running. This sounds like a good excuse to start back up.

Here's one build I've been meaning to experiment with, AT Windy Druid for higher player settings. Couple of test runs on P5 and mediocre map:

Gear:
Doom BA
faceted Nightwing's
Enigma
Spirit
2/16/14@ craft amulet
Arach
SoJ
FCR/MF/PR ring
WT
TO gloves

Switch: CtA, Spirit
Merc (Defiance): Infinity, CoH, Andy's

Since I'd like to go with decent MF for lvl 85 area running, he's currently running with ~300. Apart from that, the idea was to make Hurricane strong enough to deal meaningful damage and kill minions while he's focusing bosses with Tornado (instead of pushing Tornado damage with Reaper etc.). It also helps against PI bosses as well as larger groups of normal monsters, engaging when there's many of them. I made a Doom BA for him which rolled okay (357 ED, -49 ECR). An alternative setup I tried was with Hoto + HHG, socketed with three cold RBFs (14/14) that I made for a Riftsin at some point. Similar performance, although Doom is higher damage whenever bosses roll extra cold resist modifiers, plus Holy Freeze helps with his safety.

Not sure I'll stick with him as it's obviously not a top tier build and definitely way behind areas like AS when it comes to runes. But he seems fine overall for combining MF and RF, and it's refreshing to run something else than the usual builds and targets.

@ffs ive just started doing some wind druid p1 AT runs for mf in the last couple of days. Somehow your runs are as fast on p5 as mine are on p1 :mad:. I have doom and nightwings sitting in his stash, but have only been running with shako and hoto so far. Did you max arctic blast like gripp did for that HoR entry? I couldn't bring myself to put points in it over oak.

Didn't put any points in Arctic Blast apart from the one required, at least on P5/P7 I figured I'd want Oak. May give it a try though since he doesn't really get into big trouble so far and PIs do slow him down at times.

Lots of headpiece options and Shako is very strong of course. Only situation where the lower Hurricane damage is felt is against PI bosses. Also 'Lore' in a +3 Tornado/+3 Hurricane base is really good, lower Hurricane damage but higher Tornado than NWV, plus a little MPK and LR. Don't have something like +5 Tornado/+5 Hurricane pelts unfortunately.

On P1 I'd probably replace Doom with a 6x Ist sword, no need for that extra damage.

Reactions: Luhkoh
@ffs nice I may message you when I get a little farther into my runs with him. They feel quite hectic right now and I'd like to get them to sub 50s (but right now they're just under 60s).

On the RFL 3 front, I did some test running with my java and my light sorc in arcane (found a Lo during this). Been counting approximate numbers of kills this morning from videos I took, while watching in slow-mo. I'm estimating something like:

Java: 30 ghosts / 45 regular monsters per run @ 85-90s per run = ~19 runes per hour
Lightsorc: 30 ghosts / 20 regular monsters per run @ 70s per run = ~20 runes per hour

Java is wearing 2/20 circlet, caster amulet, titans, engima, -9elr/15ias monarch, 2/20 rare gloves, fcr ring, ravenfrost, razortail, silkweaves, and cta/spirit swap for 68fcr/35ias.
Sorc is wearing shako, 19fcr caster ammy, crescent moon, viper, spirit, magefist, dual soj, arachs, silkweave
Both are using defiance mercs. Not sure if prayer would be more comfortable.

Both runs could be improved a LOT, but I'm going to assume by the same proportion roughly. So anyways, they seems about even for me, with a slight edge to the sorc. And since I find the sorc much easier to play (no weapon swap, much higher mana pool), im leaning toward using her. Or maybe I'll go half and half. I considered trying some sort of 99fcr java with faith merc a la gripphon, but realized I couldn't get 99fcr without losing cbf, so sort of scrapped the idea.

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High