2020 Spring RFL Sign Up and Running Thread: Round 3 (Areas)

@ffs Very cool use of Doom! Nice build overall, looks like a fun char. I might have to make one some day and give it a whirl.

--

Round 3 is looming, and I needed an area runner in HC. I like to run XP-friendly areas for the 3rd round usually, even if it compromises rune drops a bit. CS Hammerdin was an easy choice for an area runner in HC, a decent chance for runes, with a distant someday goal of maybe going for 99 with him as well.

I already have a SC Hammerdin at level 95 who is geared out for full damage but I've found him to be a bit squishier than I would like. With that in mind, I want to focus on full survivability. Those that have followed with my other HC 99ers will know that I like to overdo it on safety, even if that means sacrificing some speed. Typically this has come in the way of over-maxed resists and 5k+ life. That much life isn't feasible for me on a hammerdin (without some serious beta-era equipment that I don't have, anyway) so I'll have to overindulge on safety in other ways. Obviously I still need good killing speed too, as the faster monsters become dead the lower risk they are.

First things first I quested to Anya (HF was an Ist) then leveled my fledgling Hammerdin up to 90 in the Pits, and then tried out several different builds both on paper and in-game. I tried all sorts of variations ranging from conventional damage-oriented builds using Harlequin Crest to weird absorb builds using Hellmouth/TGods to stacked DR% builds using the likes of Crown of Ages and Verdungos and everything in between. I settled on the following:

Crown of Ages (Ber+Vex)
Maras (25 res - best I've got in HC)
Hoto (40 res)/ 35fcr Spirit (40 all res Sacred Targe - again, best I've got in HC)
Enigma Archon Plate
Trangs Gloves
Arach
Hotspur (fully upgraded)
FCR/res ring and Dwarf Star

Hammer dmg: 11k

Life: ~3.1k after BO
Resistances: 95/75/75/75 (overstacked to 120/134/115/104) -> 40% FR after Conviction (for Infector).

Other stats:
FHR: 90% (needed 1 sc of balance to hit the 86% breakpoint)
DR%: 30%
Fabsorb%: 15%
MDR: 15

Merc: A2 Defiance
Andys
Fortitude
Insight eth Thresher (I tried Reapers but like this way better, it's a pure comfort decision)

Which, after leveling him to 95 with all the testing, looks like this:

ljxfd4U.jpg

Now some reasoning:

I noticed in my testing that once the fire damage is negated (as it is with virtually all hammerdin CS builds) the biggest risk is actually physical damage if I get a nasty pack of Knights in there, or a bad combo on a swarm on Venom Lords (might, fanat, extra strong, etc). This prompted me to explore other options to try and mitigate that. Namely, Crown of Ages.

I know I know, everybody and their mother/father/sister/brother uses Harlequin Crest or Griffons. Remember, I'm looking for ultimate survivability, and sometimes that requires going off the board a bit. Also I'm sure some of you have noticed that I like to do things in a slightly unconventional way if I can. ;)

The final thing I'm considering is 75% block vs 50% block (I have it here now) and the life tradeoff that ensues. I'm pretty sure most people go for max block but I'm wondering if the extra life I'd gain is worth going with a lower block rate. The reason for this is with a CoA setup it's a pretty big strength investment already, leaving dex and life points thinner than I'd like. The difference in dex for 75% vs 50% block at level 99 is 50 points, which equates to 270 life post BO from his CtA. I'm leaning 50% block, as the extra life helps with any kind of damage and he'll have quite high defense to begin with (already at 19k+ without maxed HS, thanks to the Defiance merc) which will negate a pile of the would-be hits. I usually play my chars full-vita so this is new territory for me, let me know what you guys think!

He's already shown his worth too, and the map seems like a good one with some decent finds in Stone Crusher, Horizon's (good bases, but the wrong ones!) and Death's Fathom. He's also picked up a few lower end qualifiers so far in the Um-Ist range, so hopefully that continues too!

@Pb_pal I just love this post. I think you would definitely lose survivability going to 50% block. I would maintain 75 for sure. My experience is just sc, but I have also found the hotspur/maras to just feel more tanky than other options. The COA choice is super cool, and it rocks for your purposes, but how does using ber shako compare in "effective life against physical dmg" with the extra life (and reduced str req's) it brings? I certainly expect max block shako would come out ahead of 50block COA anyways. If a ber in shako is tough to swallow, even pruby can be nice. Also without a vex in the helm in this shako variant, you can get your fire res up to 95 with some points in resist fire. I assume to get to 11k hammers, you have a decent number of skillers? I would consider using 3-4 skillers and then a load of lifers (hopefully with fire res on them too). I know ffs got to like 4k life doing that. On my (sc) hdin, ive ended up going this route, but with a topaz in the shako and only like 6 lifer scs, and he still has 3.1k hp and 82 fire res after conviction (lol).

Whichever way you go, I would have to expect he's less likely to die than Klaus running nihla :p. But I don't want to jinx you either ;).

EDIT: nvm, I see now you have 40 fire res after conviction infector. I'm sure that's totally fine, but if you end up going with that more sc's with life plus fire res, then its nice just not caring about conviction (except that it can kill my merc). Only other thing I have to say is on merc, I like vgaze on him over andys, and then I usually use coh over fort just because he's a little more likely to survive conviction infector, but if you aren't having merc survival issues, then ofc andys/fort is nicer. And I'm not sure how much better/worse the DR in coh is vs the extra def from fort against physical dmg. I also like holy freeze merc, but I could see defiance being the more reliable choice for hc, since de seis could feasibly kill you before holy freeze procs on him haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pb_pal
Thanks!

Full inventory of skillers (Lion-branded), yes. It also helps to buff Holy Shield, which in turn helps my bid for obnoxiously high defense. In the past I haven't really valued defense much, but running with Stevesy in the Untwinked 99er thread has changed my mind on it a bit. A whiffed hit by Doom Knights means a better chance to tele myself out of danger (or to bypass it completely on my way to the seals) if need be.

If this was in SC and I had my better charm inventory to work with I might try that, but I was handcuffed a bit by what I had in HC to use (kinda funny saying that, with a Ber+Vex CoA :LOL:)

The resistances on CoA also sold me on it, since my neither Mara's nor Sacred Targe are perfect, this was an easy way to make them up. I ran some (unsocketed) Shako variants and they felt quite strong, but I kind of just like the feel of this build better. That could just be confirmation bias of course, but in HC if you feel good that usually counts for some extra survivability too.

I'll likely mess around with 75 vs 50 block in or after the RFL, but until I get some better charms I might not be able to, I certainly don't feel comfortable dipping below 3k life. So far so good with no NDEs, but realistically I haven't run with him that much, so if I notice an area that needs some help I'll definitely be asking everyone for suggestions moving forward.

Good stuff @Pb_pal. Hammerdin is always a good choice for this, he delivered crazy good results for me last year. I just played him twice in recent tournaments and didn't feel like going with him again.

Tested a few more things with Wind Druid. I think best way to go about it is Doom main and Lawbringer switch. With (near) max Oak he's at ~3k life even without CtA, trading off around 800 life but in return gaining a reliable solution for those physical immune zombies. He does need to pick up a mana pot here and there, but given Hurricane is killing monsters at the same time it's not really a problem, and when going with Shako that provides a higher mana pool and some extra MF. I ran a bit with this setup and run times didn't really suffer in comparison to the fully offensive NWV variant. Another option could be to pass up on Doom and go with faceted (or Ist'ed) Azurewrath per default, along with Nightwing's and CtA switch. Not entirely convinced though since Sanctuary sometimes knocks monsters out of Hurricane AoE, can be annoying at times... At the moment I prefer it as a situational solution to clean up those PIs rather than always having it active, and for that Lawbringer in low-req base seems better than investing some 100 extra dex points for Azurewrath.

The other build apart from Windy that I'll try out is my beloved Nova Sorc. She can do very well in the Pit for this format, though likely at the expense of MF.

Reactions: Pb_pal and Luhkoh
A little more than 24 hours to the start of Round 3! Good luck to all the entrants, should be a great round. Have fun, everyone!

Reactions: Babyhell
Please state IF you are running 1.07.
-------------------------
PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell
maxicek
ffs
CaseyJones
Gripphon
jjscud
ESDv2

Back in action after delays with new computer...

Reactions: Pb_pal and Babyhell
PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell
maxicek
ffs
CaseyJones
Gripphon
jjscud
ESDv2
zemaj

Not sure if I'll do AS... tried the FoH/zealot in AT and he works MUCH better there.

PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell
maxicek
ffs
CaseyJones
Gripphon
jjscud
ESDv2
zemaj
peytron

So is there some kind of Arcane Sanctuary map rolling guide?

Good luck everybody!

@Peytron Generally people run one arm of the AS and the best one should be the flat layout (as opposed to the MC Escher, Stairs or Red Portal layouts). Which direction it points in is up to you, the best choice is here is the one you are most comfortable teleporting in.

As usual runners want the rogue camp layout with the waypoint north of the starting position.

Other than that you want good bosspack density and ideally few Lightning Spires although a map with 0 Spires should be too much hassle to roll.

Reactions: Peytron
Started as well, just casually leveling characters for a first set:
listeningwind92to93.png
Just a Pit Java with 68% FCR/86% FHR/40% IAS. Runs didn't go below one minute, the 'fastest' run is one where I had to abort because fanatic archers one-hit killed my merc.
Character
Upped Titan's
Enigma
Spirit
Griffon's 'Cham'
HLW
3/20 Gloves
Raven Frost
10/30 MPK ring (1.07)
Razortail
Triple Res Boots: 10% FHR, 16% FRes, 37% CRes, 40% LRes, 21% MF

Inventory:
4 Skillers
12% FHR GC, 2x 5% FHR SC
5 free columns, rest filled with SCs

Merc:
eth Andariel's 'Cham'
Fortitude SA (4k def)
Infinity

I have 'Wagon' layout to the east for Rogue Camp which is suboptimal but the map itself is nice enough:
Screenshot011.jpg
Screenshot009.jpg
The red circles are 'nests' whereas the red dots are hotspots for bosspacks, this is not toooo accurate, just something to give an idea where most bosses spawn. Luckily the 'appendage' in the Pit doesn't spawn a lot of monsters.
Before the round started I did 30 test runs with boss counting and the bosspack average was 7,93 whereas the number of unique boss equivalents (1 champion = 1/2,5 unique boss) was 8,16. So not a great map but easy to run and with some nice bosspack clusters in the first tile.

No qualifiers so far, but found Hotspur, Cat's Eye, (-4/+3) Fire Facet, Cold Skiller/3 Dex, 15% ED superior PB and this:
Screenshot013.jpg
Only 6% but I already found an 8% one last week. So I see this as Windforce Grail -1. 🤪

Reactions: Nano
First hours done, one really noticeable drop which accelerated things a bit with the merc!

Hitting lvl 94 will allow me to be more aggressive too, running at around 95/100secs for now - map is not that great either, i'll cut a running sample later.

Sadly non eth... :-(
Andariel's Visage
Demonhead
Defense: 342
Durability: 10 of 20
Required Level: 83
Required Strength: 102
Fingerprint: 0xb7678e8e
Item Level: 88
Version: Expansion 1.10+
15% Chance to cast level 15 Poison Nova when struck
+2 to All Skills
+20% Increased Attack Speed
9% Life stolen per hit
+121% Enhanced Defense
+28 to Strength
+10% to Maximum Poison Resist
Fire Resist -30%
Poison Resist +70%
Level 3 Venom (8/20 Charges)

Reactions: art_vandelay
PhineasB
art_vandelay
WoRG (1.07)
Luhkoh
Pb_pal
Kstil3227
Nano
Babyhell
maxicek
ffs
CaseyJones
Gripphon
jjscud
ESDv2
zemaj
peytron
MrBlonde

Been waiting for this one.

Theoden_at_hornburg.jpg
Hands down my favorite character is my 99fcr teleporting 3 aura p5/7 mf/rune hunter bowazon @ the pits...

I also did make a dreamer zealot with holy frost main with my dumb dumb carrying infinity that I could venture into CS, not overly fast but hes a badass and fun to play

Reactions: PhineasB
I just started my arcane sanctuary runs. I was between my griffonsless light sorc and java like I discussed earlier, but think I'm going to commit to using the javazon the whole set. I did test a few more setups a couple of days go.

First a setup I thought was very cool/interesting but ended up not using. Was wearing my 2/20 circlet and 2/20 amulet and put on magefist in order to reach 99fcr on cta swap. Then on switch I made a monarch with 3 plain 15ias jewels and 1 plain 3mpk jewel to hit 55ias (with a 15ias jewel in my circlet). I thought this was cool and creative, and it definitely worked well. But I'm just too lazy/unskilled for the constant weapon swapping to not slow me down too much.

So I tried out my standard 68fcr setup with spirit on the javelin switch so i don't have to tele on swap. Yep muuuuch better and smoother for me. I then got tired of potion management so much, so started using a bunch of mana sc's (got to 900 mana), and had a total of 11 mana leech and 5mpk from silks. This worked great and I had to pot less than once a run if I didn't get mana burned.

But then I decided to retry insight on the merc, and my runs were faster lol. So i ditched the mana scs for light and fire res ones and some with life just to reduce potting from taking dmg from the vampires and lightning spires, ditched the silks for some rare boots with high res, and used my 2/20 amulet + soj rather than my 2zon/8fcr/mana leech amulet I was using with an fcr ring when I had infinity merc. Runs are very smooth now and are clocking in just under 80s. I'm taking the time to check the dead end as well as the middle section. I'm sure the times will decrease a bit, but feels impossible to get down closer to a minute. Only annoyance now is running low on jav qty. Here's a video I recorded to show the gear. Let mw know if anyone has tips!

@Peytron as far as i can tell, your AS map isn't that important. The things art mentioned are definitely nice and are things to look for, but I don't get the impression they'll make a big difference at all. Just make sure you only run the spires leg since its much easier to reduce the ghosts dropping over the void.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High