[2019] The "I am Overburdened" Tournament! [by Dazliare]

Jan 3, 2007
Tournament migration finished - thanks @Vildecor! :)

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by @Dazliare on May 27, 2019. The last post was made May 12, 2020.
(
link to original thread on diabloii.net)

Hello all! I haven't played much D2 recently, but I've found myself burnt out of a lot of the other games I play, and I've been toying with a character idea for a bit, so I figured I might as well just host a tournament around it. There hasn't been a new tournament in some months, though I do know there are a couple of active ones still (one that I'm even a part of!). That said, please feel free to join up. This will be pretty straightforward without too many rules, and shouldn't feel too difficult :)

But first:

The title!

Often when you try to loot an item, but have no room, your character utters one of the most common phrases in all of Diablo. Not "Stay a while and listen", but "I am overburdened".

That's how our characters in the tournament shall be. We are overburdened, constantly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules
Not too many rules here frankly. I didn't want to make a bunch of complicated rules that folks will have trouble remembering. I wanted this to be a fun little adventure that everyone feels like they can participate in
• Your character should be HC (although you may go SC, but a SC death disqualifies the character from further participation).
• You may enter and re-enter as many times as you wish.
• Any version is fine
• Players can use any character class, any build, and assign stat- and skill points as desired.
• Re-specing is fine
• Any /players setting is allowed, and may be changed at will. Cheese those sparkly/special chests on Hell all you want! I encourage it!
• Any merc may be used.
• Single pass only (i.e. no rerunning of bosses, containers, shrines or areas).
When you start a new game and are on the move towards the next area you haven’t played, it’s OK to Save and Exit if you get in trouble during the “transport”. Otherwise, only S&E in town or when you are sure no monsters are around.
• You may return to previous acts and difficulties, but note that single-pass still applies (if you really forgot to collect it while you were there the first time, you may retrieve Wirt’s Leg for Cow level, please avoid killing if possible and no picking up loot).
ATMA, Gomule etc. may be not used as an extended stash. NO MULING
• Quests can be completed whenever you wish (ex. you may use the Normal socket reward in NM).

Equipment
• Your character should be untwinked.
• Only white, socketed, ethereal, magical, rare, or crafted items may be used. Runewords, uniques, and set items are not to be used, with one exception
• You may personalize any one item. Any item at all counts for this. Runeword, unique, set, whatever you like.
• Sockets may be filled with anything except Rainbow Facets, unless the resulting item is to be personalized per the rule above. Runes may be socketed into otherwise eligible items
• All charms are allowed. (Except Gheed's Fortune)
• Merc equipment must follow the same rules as your character
• Quest items (e.g. Khalim’s Will) may be used

A brief explanation of the rules and theme
I lost my characters in the three way dance tournament (RIP), but I really liked the shared stash mechanic. I wanted to reproduce that here, but I had trouble coming up with a thematic way of doing so. I also wanted to play through the game using no uniques, sets or runewords, and that's when I remembered that before Gomule existed, most of my stash was random sets and uniques that I thought I might use at some point. I thought about naming the this "The Anti PackRat Tournament", but I like this one better :) The idea is that you will have too much stuff all the time, hence being overburdened, and you have to be choosy about what you decide to keep

Tournament starts now and ends eventually.

Last edited:
I'll start things off with Tryste, the eventual Hydra Sorceress. Vehumet the hydra sorceress died in the three way dance, so Triste is hoping to avenge her. We're off to a fantastic start with 6 topazes between Triste and her trusty fire rogue, Oriana. The first rare item we found was a dagger with poison damage in the Den of Evil, which made the early part of act 1 straightforward. I'm using Frost Nova mainly since act 1 has so many hordes of "trash" mobs. I've also never really used either nova before, so I may try the lightning version at some point just for fun. It works great thus far

We also found a nice rare bow for Oriana:

Imp Quarrel
Short Bow
Two Hand Damage: 2 - 5
Durability: 16 of 20
Required Level: 3
Required Dexterity: 15
Fingerprint: 0x18b2d86a
Item Level: 5
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+10% Increased Attack Speed
Adds 1 - 1 Damage
+52 to Attack Rating
Adds 1 - 2 Fire Damage
Poison Resist +9%

The star of today's session though was this buckler that dropped somewhere in the Cave

Pain Shell
Buckler
Defense: 6
Chance to Block: 10
Durability: 6 of 12
Required Level: 1
Required Strength: 12
Fingerprint: 0xe188d2ae
Item Level: 2
+15% Faster Block Rate
10% Increased Chance of Blocking
+1 to Mana
Lightning Resist +5%
Fire Resist +5%
Attacker Takes Damage of 1

Something is wrong with my screenshots (they're only showing the bottom corner of the screen. Probably something to do with resolution), so I used Gomule for these readouts. Per the tournament rules, I will not be muling at all.

The last nice find of the evening was this amulet:

Felicitous Amulet
Amulet
Required Level: 3
Fingerprint: 0xe592be3c
Item Level: 5
7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

I don't think I've ever found an MF amulet this early! Things are looking good!

Tryste the will-be Hydra Sorceress and Oriana the Fire Rogue. Level 12. Stony Field next

Cool idea!

The title is very apt, since I too and completely overburdened with D2 projects. That said, I really like the idea and I'll almost certainly be joining soon, once I come up with a character/build I want to play. Also, thanks for reminding me to finish my TWD characters. :p

@Dazliare feel free to correct the table after me if something is out of place :rolleyes:

Code:
Forum Name     Hero Name      Class        Level    HC/SC    Last Waypoint       Personalized Item
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dazliare       Tryste         Sorceress      12     HC       Cold Plains         -
srrw           TBA            TBA             0     HC       Rogue Encampment    -

Yep, still not sure.

Jocular said:
Nice to see a tournament get started around here :D I'll join in a couple weeks.

I can't remember the last time I tried playing without an extended stash. This will require much deliberation...
That's the whole idea! You can't be a pack rat for this one :) Glad to see there's some interest! I'll post an update on Tryste tonight

I'm joining the fray with a Ranger Pally, named aptly Oxygen!

No particularly impressive drops so far but I'm hoping to push through acts 1-2 tonight.

Code:
Forum Name     Hero Name      Class        Level    HC/SC    Last Waypoint       Personalized Item
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hackedagainanda Oxygen        Paladin        13     HC       Stony Field         -
Dazliare       Tryste         Sorceress      12     HC       Cold Plains         -
srrw           TBA            TBA             0     HC       Rogue Encampment    -

I need to get an untwinked Druid going and this sounds like a good long-term project to get him moving. He will be dual elemental, likely maxing fissure and tornado, along with Grizzly. I am thinking Hurricane and Oak sage for extra points?

He will be softcore in case of death to allow him to continue along. I have another Druid -- pure fire -- on my laptop, started about a year ago and played only when traveling for work. If Septimus doesn't make it into hell before a death, I may leave him be and focus on the other when the time comes. But this build seems like fun to give a go, likely going with cold rogue.

Code:
hackedagainanda Oxygen        Paladin        13     HC       Stony Field         -
Dazliare        Tryste        Sorceress      12     HC       Cold Plains         -
srrw            TBA           TBA             0     HC       Rogue Encampment    -
PhineasB        Septimus      Druid           0     SC       Rogue Encampment    -

Tryste has made it to the Outer Cloister waypoint. I had planned to play a bit more today, but I got a new jigsaw puzzle instead and spent several hours on that (and I have an 18,000 piece puzzle on its way!) instead. Act 1 has gone surprisingly well. Usually I find early sorceress to be really painful, but this one has been enjoyable.

I used my first respec to move from frost nova to fireball. I'll want fireball for Andariel anyway, and frost nova just wasn't cutting it even with 10 points into it. Unfortunate as mechanically I really enjoyed it. The only downside now is it is very hard to weaken things enough to let Oriana get kills. We'll see if that bites me down the road.

Decent gambles, though nothing spectacular. I'll post the boots below as they're probably the best part of today's session.

I also found both the set and unique cap, which are fairly rare (Biggin's Bonnet is TC3), so it was interesting to vendor them. I've also been vendoring rings to save room for chipped gems. I'm thinking I probably have that backwards, as cubing rings and amulets hoping for more MF is probably better than keeping chippies to cube up, but we'll see. I can already tell no muling will be really interesting.

BOOTS:

Shadow Trample
Boots
Defense: 3
Durability: 12 of 12
Required Level: 10
Fingerprint: 0x413ee2f
Item Level: 20
+2 to Dexterity
Heal Stamina Plus 50%
Lightning Resist +6%
Fire Resist +7%
15% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Repairs 1 Durability in 33 Seconds

Code:
Dazliare        Tryste        Sorceress      17     HC       Outer Cloister      -
srrw            TBA           TBA             0     HC       Rogue Encampment    -
PhineasB        Septimus      Druid           0     SC       Rogue Encampment    -

Sounds like a joy. In an untwinked phase right now so this fits right in.

Going trapsin, fade, and a holy freeze merc. Guardian here I come!
Code:
Dazliare        Tryste        Sorceress      17     HC       Outer Cloister      -
CaseyJones      Ninjara       Assassin        6     HC       Cold Plains         -

It seems difficult :)
2 questions :
- muling out is allowed ? (If a sorceress drops Stormlash, she can stash it out for other chars ?)
- You can equip 1 personalized item. But if I personalized a shako and use it, can I sell it to equip a personalized griffon ? Or only 1 item can be personalized ?

Thanks

jonnyphive said:
I have to echo @Chaostar's question regarding muling OFF only. I am very interested in this tournament, but the potential to have to sell off items I would otherwise be thrilled to have acquired, would be a real detraction for me personally.

Chaostar said:
It seems difficult :)
2 questions :
- muling out is allowed ? (If a sorceress drops Stormlash, she can stash it out for other chars ?)
- You can equip 1 personalized item. But if I personalized a shako and use it, can I sell it to equip a personalized griffon ? Or only 1 item can be personalized ?

Thanks
Excellent questions!

1) Muling out is totally ok. The spirit of the Tournament is that I didn't want folks to horde a bunch of things to use later like gems for crafting. I wanted it to feel like "I can only use what I find, and I have some limited storage to keep a few useful things". If you find an item that another character wants to use, just mule it off. I only ask that you don't use it on this character later :)

2) Only one personalized item, period. I toyed with having three personalized items (one for each difficulty), but I really wanted folks to find use out of items they might not normally use. I don't want every caster to just use dual spirit and insight like any regular character. As the tournament goes on, I might increase this to two. If I decide to do that, the second item would unlock in A5 Hell, and be a great reward for killing Nihlathak. It would also keep the spirit of the tournament with only using one personalized item for most of the game. I'll think about it

The idea of the personalized item is that it allows you to use that one amazing thing that happened to drop, instead of it feeling like a waste. If you happen to find a Vex Rune, I want you to feel like it's not a "wasted" drop since you can personalize a runeword.

I will be joining soon as well, but with a softcore character because I want to be able to use her even after the inevitable death. She is an amazon who will specialize in bows... or maybe javelins. I've never made a bowazon before, but a single pass untwinked pseudo-hc bowazon might be just a tad too challenging for me now that I think of it :rolleyes:. Sorry for not coming up with any less common build(s), but I still lack java & bowa.

Will update table later.

Ghonn said:
I will be joining soon as well, but with a softcore character because I want to be able to use her even after the inevitable death. She is an amazon who will specialize in bows... or maybe javelins. I've never made a bowazon before, but a single pass untwinked pseudo-hc bowazon might be just a tad too challenging for me now that I think of it :rolleyes:. Sorry for not coming up with any less common build(s), but I still lack java & bowa.

Will update table later.
Welcome! There is no shame in running something like a java - we're here to have fun after all. I actually thought about running a bowzon just because rare bows are sexy as hell, but I've been wanting to play hydra for a while

Code:
CaseyJones      Ninjara       Assassin        6     HC       Cold Plains         -
Jocular         TBD           Druid           1     TBD      Rogue Encampment    -
Ghonn           TBD           Amazon          1     SC       Rogue Encampment    -

No huge updates tonight. I didn't have too much time to play, so I finished the jail and the Cathedral. This decent axe dropped, which when enchanted has respectable damage output

Bitter Reaver
Axe
One Hand Damage: 5 - 16
Durability: 20 of 24
Required Level: 9
Required Strength: 32
Fingerprint: 0x3d2e36f2
Item Level: 17
30% Enhanced Damage
+2 to Maximum Damage
+36 to Attack Rating
Adds 7 Poison Damage Over 3 Secs (75 Frames)
Fire Resist +6%

Also the Gnasher dropped, which makes 3 TC3 items on this character that can't use them hah

Code:
Dazliare        Tryste        Sorceress      19     HC       Inner Cloister      -
Jocular         TBD           Druid           1     TBD      Rogue Encampment    -
Ghonn           TBD           Amazon          1     SC       Rogue Encampment    -

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High