[2019] The "I am Overburdened" Tournament! [by Dazliare]

Dazliare said:
jonnyphive said:
I am joining too. Today has gone sideways for me so I don't have access to the screenshots for my proper first update, but I wanted to stake my claim as the first to enter with a Barb. :p
Sounds great! We just need a Necromancer now and we'll have all 7 :)

Tryste has completed act 1. The Catacombs largely went just fine, and I found one nice thing along the way:

Fortuitous Ring of Chance
Ring
Required Level: 9
Fingerprint: 0xe4e31197
Item Level: 12
Version: Expansion 1.10+
17% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

MF prefix and suffix! So hype.

Also I figured out the issue I had with screenshots, so here is Andariel's kill screen. Drops are mediocre except for the normal topaz

Screenshot008.jpg

I'll rush the cube to cube up all my gems and make some space as I'm quite low with so many chippies, but first up is A2 shopping. I'm looking for a Bone Shield of Deflecting with a suffix, as well as a 3os breast plate and boots of fortune. Elzix coughed up these amazing gloves too:

Viridian Heavy Gloves of Fortune
Heavy Gloves
Defense: 5
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0x559b5a2
Item Level: 20
Poison Resist +20%
23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

I love poison resist in act 2. Realistically it's not that great, but poison damage can be super annoying when you kill a bunch of zombies and there are clouds everywhere. Best roll for the "of Fortune" suffix is 25% MF, so we did pretty well there too

I have to say I love the early stages of a tournament character. You're upgrading a lot and levelling quickly, and finding upgrades feels really good.

Tryste, level 20 will-be-hydra sorceress. Halls of the Dead next

Code:
Forum Name     Hero Name      Class        Level    HC/SC    Last Waypoint       Personalized Item
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hackedagainanda Oxygen        Paladin        13     HC       Stony Field         -
Dazliare        Tryste        Sorceress      20     HC       Lut Gholein      -
srrw            TBA           TBA             0     HC       Rogue Encampment    -
PhineasB        Septimus      Druid           0     SC       Rogue Encampment    -
CaseyJones      Ninjara       Assassin        6     HC       Cold Plains         -
Jocular         TBD           Druid           1     TBD      Rogue Encampment    -
Ghonn           TBD           Amazon          1     SC       Rogue Encampment    -

CaseyJones said:
Just a brief update...Ninjara is progressing smoothly now, early on I had a 20 poison damage over 2 seconds jewel drop that really helped boost my early game damage. Cleared the cave, buriel grounds, crypts/mausoleum, tombs, stony field, underground passage, dark wood, and tristram. Cain is safe. I know you were wondering :p

Sitting at a pleasant level 14.5 after completing Trist.

As for drops, bleh. I don't have any +MF% yet. I've had a single chipped topaz drop about 10 minutes before this last play session ended and have not socketed it yet. For some reason seems I keep getting chipped ammies and skulls which I am less than fond of early in the game. No rare rings or amulets yet. I've been running at p8 early for the boosted xp and drops so I do still see an occasional rare drop. No sets or uniques yet either.

I've gambled many gloves and boots and have yet to see any with MF so I just trudge along with my crappy drops ;)

I'm sure my luck will change...sure it will...*tries to convince self*

Code:
Forum Name     Hero Name      Class        Level    HC/SC    Last Waypoint       Personalized Item
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hackedagainanda Oxygen        Paladin        13     HC       Stony Field         -
Dazliare        Tryste        Sorceress      20     HC       Lut Gholein         -
srrw            TBA           TBA             0     HC       Rogue Encampment    -
PhineasB        Septimus      Druid           0     SC       Rogue Encampment    -
CaseyJones      Ninjara       Assassin       14     HC       Dark Wood           -
Jocular         TBD           Druid           1     TBD      Rogue Encampment    -
Ghonn           TBD           Amazon          1     SC       Rogue Encampment    -

jonnyphive said:
Alright, I'm in. This tournament is perfect for me; I've long considered hosting a minimally-restrictive tournament myself, and the restrictions in this one are present in just the right amount. I enjoy the equipment and stash restrictions, but not so much stat- and skill-based limits, so I was pleasantly surprised to see this pop up. Thanks for hosting, @Dazliare!

I already have a hardcore necro in A1 hell (parked for ~3 years... one day), so I went with a different class not currently represented: barbarian. I then made the mistake of asking my wife to name my new barbarian, and she suggested "Barb". I told her the character can only be male but that just made her smirk even more, so Barb the barbarian has entered the tournament.

My plan is to use a sword/shield pairing and create some odd WW/Berserk hybrid, although I may respec to pure Berserk in Hell if whirlwind starts to feel too risky. I bought a short sword on my first trip back to town, and haven't used any other weapons since. I will only use swords for this playthrough unless, for instance, a high-end Butcher's Pupil drops and I personalize that instead. Otherwise, all swords all the way. A sword/shield barb is one I've never played before so I'm really looking forward to the new experience. As I am going max block, the relatively lower strength requirements and higher dexterity requirements of swords (as compared to other weapons) makes them a natural pairing. I am playing full-clears single pass, /p8 norm+nightmare, and /p1-p3 for hell.

So without further adieu, here is my first update:

Barb came across a good omen shortly after entering the Cold Plains when he found his first rare item:

Unfortunately, the sword had some bells and whistles but little utility, as my +2 max damage saber attacked faster and had higher physical damage.

Ah, untwinked play with no real attack skill to speak of. How whimsical situations like this are:

What is going on with this bow? Why can I not figure out why it lists the damage it does? Am I completely missing something here?

I started gambling crystal swords at level 11, and scored what initially looked like a very nice weapon. Unfortunately, 5% leech off 30 damage is... not much leech. So after rescuing Cain I visited Gheed again and got lucky:

Due to the low damage of normal weapons, +damage is much better than %ED, so I was quite happy with this and am excited to get back to playing with some much improved damage. So far I have 1 point in all pre-reqs, 4 points in Find Item, and 2-3 points in Sword Mastery. I want FI at 32%, and after that I'll be pumping Sword Mastery (and grabbing pre-reqs and 1-pt wonders) until 24 and 30, at which point BO and WW will take precedence.

Barb the barbarian, level 15, Cain rescued with full clears through the Dark Wood.

Code:
Dazliare        Tryste        Sorceress      20     HC       Lut Gholein         -
CaseyJones      Ninjara       Assassin       14     HC       Dark Wood           -
jonnyphive      Barb          Barbarian      15     HC       Dark Wood           -

Jocular said:
The only thing that I can think of is that the +1 max damage affix isn't showing, @jonnyphive. Weird o_O

And we're off! Flick, the crossbow wielding summoner has vanquished all with ease! Coldcrow was no match for my pooches, her cold enchanted minions nicely neutralized by their willingness to be meat shields.

Nothing much to report yet. I'm looking forward to getting dire wolves. Currently no points in vitality, life is for losers! Druids get such a poor life gain I'm unsure if I should get Oak Sage or HoW. Hmmm. Level 20 HoW gives 150% ED, which equals 150 dex, which would equal 300 life. Level 20 Oak Sage gives 125% Life, which would require ~65 vitality to equal 300 life. Seems like i'd be better off using Oak instead of HoW just by looking at stat efficiency. Not to mention that any +life gear/charms under the influence of Oak would allow me to pump dex far more than if using HoW. This is all subject to change/respec if I never find a bow worthy of dex investment.

Code:
Jocular         Flick         Druid          11     HC       Burial Grounds      -
jonnyphive      Barb          Barbarian      15     HC       Dark Wood           -

Hutton said:
Alright, I'll round out the class balance with a Necromancer!

I'm going to play a Summoner but focus on Mages rather than Skeletons...

Code:
Jocular         Flick         Druid          11     HC       Burial Grounds      -
Hutton          Boris         Necromancer     1     SC       Rogue Encampent     -

Dazliare said:
Hutton said:
Alright, I'll round out the class balance with a Necromancer!

I'm going to play a Summoner but focus on Mages rather than Skeletons...
Sounds great! I'm picturing some power shopping for a +3 skeleton mastery +3 skeletal mage wand in your future :D

hackedagainanda said:
Got through act 2 tonight with a few gems and runes.

Duriel on Players 8 was one of the hardest battles I've fought in my D2 career.

Unfortunately the drops were not proportional to the struggle.

If I survive Nihlathak and the Ancients I will have surpassed my hopes for Oxygen.

Screenshot293.jpg

Code:
hackedagainanda Oxygen        Paladin        28     HC       Kurast Docks       -
Hutton          Boris         Necromancer     1     SC       Rogue Encampent     -

Dazliare said:
Tryste has completed the first portion of Act 2

That said, I'm planning about a week away from video games. I likely won't have more updates during that time, but I'll keep in touch :) Good luck to all! I'll resume progress on Tryste in a week or so!

PhineasB said:
Septimus finished A1 and grabbed the cube to clear out the chippies that had filled up the inventory and backpack. Topaz luck was best I've had, with full hat and armor by Stony Field and merc full by the time we finished Countess. Speaking of which, a 30 MF Nagel dropped on the way down, and then Countess dropped 2 Tals, which went into a 3os hunter bow for the merc and made the rest of A1 easy:
A1 N (30 MF Nagel).jpg
A1 N (Countess).jpg
I actually skipped two arms of the Catacombs because I was out of inventory space and went back to them after grabbing the cube. Andy required only one trip to town:
A1 N (Andy).jpg
We now have a defensive A2 merc, with a 20 IAS Savage Voulge on the first roll, which we will try to improve on that as diamonds drop. The Druid has 3 flawed topazes in a Breast Plate, hoping to find a 2os pelt with useful staff mods.

Skill progression has been to pump fissure, now at 10, and adding one point to summon for 1 pt oak and one pt dire wolf, with the goal of focusing on grizzly and volcano once we hit lvl 30, with Tornado or Hurricane following next depending on the merc choice.

Edit: Forgot to mention, he's playing through on p7, at least through Normal and Nightmare, down to p1 for countess, and likely p3 for Normal Duriel and Diablo.

Good luck to everyone else.

Code:
Forum Name      Hero Name     Class       Level     HC/SC    Last Waypoint       Personalized Item
hackedagainanda Oxygen        Paladin        28     HC       Kurast Docks        -
PhineasB        Septimus      Druid          21     SC       Lut Gholein         -

Babyhell said:
I guess I found the hosting place for leveling my druid(s ?) ;)

He'll be SC as I don't have any HL one, and he (at least the first) will be a summoner. Why not afterall ;)

Nice idea, will now check all those druid specific items with real hope !

Here he is !
dex3WJRl.jpg

GL everyone :)

Some sound !

Code:
Forum Name      Hero Name     Class       Level     HC/SC    Last Waypoint       Personalized Item
hackedagainanda Oxygen        Paladin        28     HC       Kurast Docks        -
PhineasB        Septimus      Druid          21     SC       Lut Gholein         -
Hutton          Boris         Necromancer     1     SC       Rogue Encampment    -
Babyhell        BabyBeasts    Druid           1     SC       Rogue Encampment    -

peytron said:
I'll give this a shot, why not right? Going to try a Berserk Barbarian since I think I want one in the future. Going to play SC.

Let's hope I don't mess up the table (probably will):

Code:
Hutton          Boris         Necromancer     1     SC       Rogue Encampment    -
Babyhell        BabyBeasts    Druid           1     SC       Rogue Encampment    -
Peytron  Lawrence Barbarian 1 SC Rogue Encampment -

Jocular said:
Fixed ;)

Code:
Peytron         Lawrence      Barbarian       1     SC       Rogue Encampment    -

Babyhell said:
After some time at p7/p8, BabyBeasts is surrounded by wolves at lvl 12.5, at Stony field WP (run to get it so I can stop for today).

Images'n story
BabyBeasts arrival at Sanctuary
pWVfPwol.jpg

The first real upgrade... a damaged scepter! Untwinked pleasures :D
QK1IQ0hl.jpg

A nice jewel for the start... but had to wait a bit to buy a scepter with a socket o use it
3UFkLatl.jpg

This was nice also... XP shrine right next to mob packs, including Bishibosh :)
CDwRx5Cl.jpg

Amongst them i got that 6psn large charm. Will be used for now, even if most of the damage comes from wolves
kqs8nwdl.jpg

Stopped after a run to get that Stony field waypoint, cleared the ath until i saw it, so i can clear mobs around eventually on next game
VqjRKc1l.jpg

Cain is still sleeping somewhere ;)
9rrlo8el.jpg

Level 12.5 playing @p7/p8, areas are cleared, including barrels in Mausoleum/Crypt. Merc is a cold one, btw.

Nothing really interesting dropped...a jewel of envy socketed into a scepter as weapon is working quite well for now, and not enough topaz for armor and helm... will have to wait a bit for the good rares !

Edit: fix imported ;)

Code:
Babyhell        BabyBeasts    Druid          12     SC       Stony field         -
Peytron         Lawrence      Barbarian       1     SC       Rogue Encampment    -

Chaostar said:
Ok ! I shouldn't do this, cause I already have a lot to do with my chars, but I can't resist a hard and fun tourney !! :p

After thinking about what char to play, I ended up with an amazon.
Let me introduce Triin (named after a sweet blond Estonian girl who kissed me on a pirogue :D )

I started at /players 8, decided to clean every corner of the map and open all chest / barrels.
Start was nice, 2 xp shines on first map !

First rare item ! :p

Triin will use fend as main attack. For now, she uses jab lvl 1, and throws javelin when needed, like here :

or here :

It's really easy, my rogue mercenary helps a lot !
She is now in the Inner cloister, on her way to Andariel.
And she's already overburdened (had to sold a lot of rejuv and chipped skulls) ! :D

Code:
Chaostar        Triin         Amazon         19     HC       Inner cloister      -
Babyhell        BabyBeasts    Druid          12     SC       Stony field         -

Hutton said:
Made some progress with Boris- cleared up to Dark Wood on players 8, and rescued the old man.

Plain sailing so far.

Blood Raven got wrecked by the young body-block:

Screenshot002.jpg

Best item I've found so far:
Screenshot004.jpg

Code:
Chaostar        Triin         Amazon         19     HC       Inner cloister      -
Hutton          Boris         Necromancer    15     HC       Dark Wood           -

Jocular said:
I'm having a hard time getting into the theme of the tourney as well, @Chaostar. This is how I looked by the time I got to the catacombs :D
itWs6vB.jpg

Things are going well, summons always make short work of Act 1. Anything that can sometimes be dangerous is neutralized by my meat shields and ranged attack. It was pretty fun to work side by side with the Rogue. Even Pitspawn Foulpooch went down easy.

JMNm6dz.jpg

This was my main piece of equipment through Act 1. I came across a gem shrine in the Blood Moor and, even though I cleared through to the Burial Grounds, I failed to find any topazes. So I was forced to make a flawed ruby. This bow was pretty powerful up until the lower levels of the Catacombs.

57O72Db.jpg

Right here I played pretty stupidly. There were only two champ spiders in this room and decided to run into the corner to try to get my summons into the room. All of a sudden I aggro'd one of the spiders and couldn't move! Since I haven't put any points into vit each hit was doing at least 1/5 of my total bulb and putting me into hit recovery...I had to summon some wolves on my location and burn through at least 5 rejuvs. Can't make more mistakes like this if I want to play this guy as a glass cannon!

Z2i2mzG.jpg

Andariel dropped easy, surprisingly easy. I didn't think my wolves did that much damage. She gave me a pretty cool rare amulet with light resists, poison length reduction, and mf%.

Code:
Ghoul Wing
Amulet
Required Level: 9
Fingerprint: 0x8347561f
Item Level: 12
+4 to Strength
Replenish Life +3
+15 Maximum Stamina
Lightning Resist +13%
Poison Length Reduced by 25%
7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Right now I'm hanging out in Act 2, about to head down into the Maggot Lair.

Code:
Jocular         Flick         Druid          23     HC       The Maggot Lair     -
Hutton          Boris         Necromancer    15     HC       Dark Wood           -

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High