[2018] Tournament: Super Unique 2018 [by GooberGrape]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Migration finished :)

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by @GooberGrape on Sep 19, 2018. The last post was made Mar 11, 2019.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

"Those devils! This time they've gone too far!"

Goober the Grape returned from a hunt only to find her home ransacked. Broken glass and charred furniture was all that remained of her once beautiful stone cottage.

As she descended the steps to her stash, despair set in.

"Oh no."

It was empty, save for a single +1 staff of Firebolts. Her first magical staff from when she was a young child, before she even knew a single spell by heart.

It was then that she realized they'd stolen her memories as well. She couldn't remember a single enchantment or conjuration.

The one thing she still remembered was a list. The names of every single demon who was responsible, searing in her mind white hot.

In a rage, she grabbed her childhood staff and stormed up the stairs and out into the night.

"Pindleskin, Stormtree, Rakanishu...prepare yourself. I'm coming to claim what's mine!"

***Welcome to the "Super Unique" Tournament!***

The concept of this tournament is to kill every Super Unique monster in the game, and take back your loot!

We ran this back in 2012, I cleaned up the ruleset and rewrote the FAQ. So even if you remember playing this before, please read the updated rules and FAQ below.

The Rules!

1. Single pass HC or SC. You may continue after SC death but it will affect final score.
2. Any version of LoD is accepted, but no Classic.
3. MP is accepted, but try to avoid rerunning areas.
4. All forum approved mods (FAM) and muling programs are allowed.
5. Any players setting is allowed.
6. Saving quest rewards is allowed, but try to avoid rerunning areas.
7. Respecs are allowed if your game version allows it.
8. When in doubt, do whatever is fun to you. It's just a game.

The Challenge!

*You may only equip items dropped by Super Unique (SU) monsters or Act Bosses* with the following exceptions:

- You may equip the very first weapon and shield you start the game with
- You may equip items given to you by quests, such as Ormus's ring
- You may also equip items imbued by Charsi's quest, socketed by Larzuk, or personalized by Anya.
- You may use charms but only if they were dropped by a SU
- You may use any items dropped by SU's in any cube recipe
- You may use gems and runes freely but only in items that already meet the above criteria
- Consumable items such as scrolls, potions, arrows and bolts may be used freely without restriction
- Mercenaries follow same equip rules as players

The Heroes!

Since this is the "Super Unique" tournament, you should be playing a "Super Unique" character! Try to play something you've never played before. Ideas for potential builds include ranged paladin, tri-elemental sorc, summoner druid, MA sin, melee spearazon, double throw barb, or poison dagger necro. Most importantly have fun!

Playing this tourney SC will of course be a much more forgiving game, so I recommend you try a harder character build and really make it "Super Unique!"

The Villains!

You get one point per Super Unique killed.
There are 60 per difficulty, for a total of 180 points.
Each SC death gives a -10 to total score.

Below is a list of all qualifying monsters (Super Uniques, or SU's):

Act I

Corpsefire
Bishibosh
Blood Raven
Bonebreak
Coldcrow
Rakanishu
Treehead Woodfist
Griswold
The Countess
Pitspawn Fouldog
Bone Ash
The Smith
Andariel
The Cow King

Act II

Radament
Bloodwitch the Wild
Fangskin
Beetleburst
Coldworm the Burrower
Fire Eye
Dark Elder
The Summoner
Ancient Kaa the Soulless
Creeping Feature
Duriel

Act III

Witch Doctor Endugu
Stormtree
Battlemaid Sarina
Icehawk Riftwing
Sszark the Burning
Ismail Vilehand
Geleb Flamefinger
Toorc Icefist
Wyand Voidbringer
Maffer Dragonhand
Bremm Sparkfist
Mephisto

Act IV

Izual
Hephasto the Armorer
Infector of Souls
Grand Vizier of Chaos
Lord De Seis
Diablo

Act V

Dac Farren
Shenk the Overseer
Eldritch the Rectifier
Thresh Socket
Eyeback the Unleashed
Sharptooth Slayer
Frozenstein
Bonesaw Breaker
Snapchip Shatter
Pindleskin
Nihlathak
Colenzo the Annihilator
Achmel the Cursed
Bartuc the Bloody
Ventar the Unholy
Lister the Tormentor
Baal

FAQ:

Q: What items can I loot?
A: You can loot and sell any item. Otherwise it would be nearly impossible to afford merc resurrection, repairs, scrolls, etc. You can only *equip* items dropped by SU's or listed in the exceptions above. If using a muling program, be sure to keep your equippable items separate from your "Saving this for Charsi/Larzuk/Anya" items. I recommend two stashes to be safe.

Q: What if the screen fills up and I can't tell who dropped what?
A: Just grab the appropriate number of items and call it close enough.

Q: So I can use any item that I find for the Charsi imbue quest?
A: Yes, any item you find with your tournament character. I'll use an example. Say my tournament character finds a Pike on a regular monster or a vendor, not from a Super Unique or Act Boss. Normally I would not be able to equip it due to the rules of this tournament. But if I use Charsi's imbue on it, then it becomes a "Super Unique item" and I may equip it freely. Same goes for Larzuk's socket quest or Anya's personalization. This gives you three "free" items per difficulty, and also allows you to build a few runewords which would otherwise be sorely missing.

Q: Can I use jewels, runes and gems?
A: Yes you may use any jewels, runes and gems you find on any monster, not only SU's. But you may only equip them in items dropped by SU's. So save those gems and runes for cube recipes, modify the items you find on SU's and make them awesome!

Q: How about throwing potions like fulminating/gas potions?
A: Throwing potions are allowed as long as you don't abuse the repair bug. You can use what you find, but when they're gone they're gone.

Q: How about javelins?
A: Javelins are treated as equippable weapons, all tournament rules apply.

Q: How about special chests like the one in Countess?
A: Just the items from Countess herself are equippable.

Q: How about horking?
A: Horking (Barbarian "Find Item" skill) is allowed, and you may equip items horked from SU monsters.

Q: How about Wirt's leg?
A: Sure why not, sounds fun. Wirt's leg may be equipped and used freely. Consider it a reward for reading the entire FAQ.

Q: Can I use any cube recipe I want?
A: Yes you may use any cube recipe you like. But the equippable item(s) must be dropped by SU's. Any item created using the cube may be equipped and used freely, see examples below:

Example: 4 Health Potions (of any type) + Ruby (any type) + Magical Sword = A Magic Sword of the Leech. In this case only the sword needs to come from a SU.

Example: Diamond (any quality) + 1 Staff (any type and quality) + 1 Kris (any quality) + 1 Belt (any type and quality) = Savage Polearm Class Weapon. In this case the Staff, Kris, and Belt all need to come from SU's.

Example: 3 rings = 1 amulet. All three rings need to come from SU's.

You may also turn your SU items into Crafted Items: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Crafting_Recipes

Below is the signup sheet:

Code:
Forum Name        Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint       Score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Rogue Encampment        0

This tournament will run starting today until March 1, 2019. Entries posted after March 1, 2019 will not count toward final score.

Please read the FAQ before signing up, any additional questions feel free to post in this thread.

***Time to take back your loot and become a Super Unique!***

Last edited:
The Paladin, SuperSaint, is entering. He will start off as a holy bolter. Not sure where he will go from there.
Code:
Forum Name        Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint       Score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Rogue Encampment        0
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Rogue Encampment        0

That sound like a good enough excuse to level a Barbarian I otherwise never would.
Code:
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Rogue Encampment        0
srrw              TBA            Barbarian    HC       Rogue Encampment        0

Okay, I've settled on a name.

Forgot to SS Corpsefire drop, Buckler of Blocking and Rare Katar. Killing is atrociously slow compared to what I've been used to with my twinked to the teeth new characters with Envy jewels and Max Damage stuff. But that's the beauty of it and I'm loving it. Howling, leaping and bashing my way through the Moor is a nice change. I'd just like to mention that I've never ever in my 15+ years of Diablo played a Barbarian past Act I Normal. It's fun!

Does anyone mind if I add current level to the table? Seems odd without it.

Code:
Forum Name        Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint      Level    Score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Cold Plains            7       1
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Rogue Encampment       1       0
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Rogue Encampment       1       0

Definitely a very interesting concept !!! Will I join? Really I shouldn't, not at this stage. Too many other plans. But who knows, after I finish my 99er Sorc, I might. I could combine it with my title grail attempt maybe.

Good luck to those already participating !!

This sounds entertaining, and will hopefully give me motivation to start a new character... Or at least gain some early levels before re-purposing it!

Code:
Forum Name        Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint      Level    Score
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
srrw              Hrothgar       Barbarian    HC       Cold Plains            7       1
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Rogue Encampment       1       0
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Rogue Encampment       1       0
Hutton            Brigid         Amazon       HC       Rogue Encampment       1       0

SuperSaint has cleared the Jail level 1. He has found ten of the enemy and dispatched them handily on P8. The bad guys don't seem to be dropping much. Here is the best item so far (dropped by Bishibosh):
Plague Crest Cap Defense: 4 +1 to Energy +4 to Mana Lightning Resist +8% 10% Faster Hit Recovery Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds

The Charci embue was barely better:
Soul Tread Heavy Boots Defense: 6 +6 to Maximum Stamina Poison Resist +10% 14% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
5% Chance to cast Level 3 Frost Nova when struck

Code:
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Jail level 1          18      10
Hutton            Brigid         Amazon       HC       Rogue Encampment       1       0

@Wolron Super Unique monsters always spawn, and always have the same name. If you do many runs, you will notice that the monster guarding the Mausoleum chest is randomized each time, just a "boss" monster, or a "unique" monster. Those have completely random affixes (Cold Enchanted, Extra Fast, Mana Burn, etc.) drawn each time.

Super Unique monsters' names NEVER change, and always spawn within their little map segment (such as Rakanishu at the Cairn Stones, Pitspawn in the H shaped hall in the Jail 2, Eldritch the Rectifier just up the mountain beyond the Frigid Highlands waypoint, etc.) Also, Super Unique monsters have set affixes, in addition to random ones. (Rakanishu is ALWAYS Lightning Enchanted and Extra Fast, with an additional modifier in Nightmare, and 2 in Hell. Pitspawn is ALWAYS Cursed and Cold Enchanted, and gains modifiers in Nightmare and Hell, and Eldritch ALWAYS Extra Fast, and with all Super Uniques, gains additional mods in Nightmare and Hell.)

So even though there is a boss in front of the chest you mentioned (or at least near it, usually) that's only the map tile set to contain a random boss. Snapchip Shatter would be an example of a Super Unique always guarding a chest.

@GooberGrape Rules say all FAM are okay, but I don't see muling/extended stash mentioned. Does approval of mule application also approve extended stash and muling by extension?

logoutzero said:
@GooberGrape Rules say all FAM are okay, but I don't see muling/extended stash mentioned. Does approval of mule application also approve extended stash and muling by extension?
Muling programs are fine, just keep your super unique items separate from your "I might Chari this one day" items. I recommend two stashes.

Edited rules clarification into the main post. Thanks @logoutzero

I decided on a Paladin, because I thought I came up with a pretty odd build, at least I hope you think it's odd. Decided to run Sacrifice with Holy Shock, and I named him Sheev.

Screenshot207.jpg

Corpsefire had my very first pair of baby-mittens, and some toy-darts from my childhood. I equipped both right away (to ditch the starter Short Sword) even though the Throwing Knives were slower. Bishibosh had one of my shirts, and a shovel handle that no matter how many times I've thrown it away, it always seems to come back to me.

Screenshot212.jpg

Blood Raven must have known I was coming for her, and stashed her ill-gotten goods in another dimension, because she didn't have any of my belongings... Bonebreaker had a bit of tapestry used to tie the curtains open that I recognize from the bedroom, that now serves me as a bottle-holder, and I am quite excited!

Coldcrow must have raided my storage shed together with Corpsefire, because she had the matching hat, and more darts from the same exact set!

Screenshot222.jpg

Rakanishu tried to pull a fast one on me when he returned my things. Turns out, it was just a couple of wooden planks he found in the Dark Wood and scratched my name into them!

Screenshot224.jpg

That's 6 down, and a pretty good stopping point for the night. I want to keep going, but I know I'll regret staying up until after Tristram... That's 4 maps to fully clear! I'll add myself to the table after tomorrow's session.

I really shouldn't as i have loads of ther barely started ones including the S/U tourney but to hell with it will figure something out later this weekend. Don't do a huge amount of D2 depending on what i am awatching as until i cba to upgrade my decade old plasma tv (later this year or perhaps a xmas pressie for myself) i have no mechanism to link laptop to tv to have netflix etc on their so i can game at same time.

Punched up some fools in the Blood Moor and waded down into the Den of Evil. Brought Corpsefire down with some Fulminating Potions, gg wasn't close. Got a scepter with 1-3 lightning which is a great 1H at this level. I went early Poison Creeper, that thing is beast.

Code:
GooberGrape       Einfuhr        Druid        SC       Rogue Encampment       5       1
Wolron            SuperSaint     Paladin      HC       Jail level 1          18      10

Quiz question to y'all: Which SuperUnique was removed when the expansion was released? (meaning: you could encounter it in e.g. v1.03 Classic). Bonus points if you get both the name, the area and the fixed mod(s) right.

-------------------------------------------

Right, I could not resist...

I'm playing a Werewolf Druid named Biter. He will have Feral Rage and Heart of Wolverine as main skills, with Rabies on the side. As for Feral Rage, I am not in it for the life steal or the added run speed, only for the extra damage. Enough mana steal to keep FR going as main attack will be needed.

Darn, this is TOUGH!

It was so slow early on that I decided to put a point in Poison Creeper at level 4. With help of a skill shrine, I could cast a level 3 Creeper that survived the whole session and was surprisingly effective against those Fallen packs.

Corpsefire gave me a slightly better weapon than my starting Club, a Dagger with a little lighting damage.

I was annoyed that the Werewolf form didn't add any extra damage, and that the bonus attack speed was more than offset by the ultra-slow base attack speed. Pumped up Werewolf to level 8, and then the attack got significantly faster. :)

Both an LE Archer in Cave level 2 and Coldcrow were tackled mainly with poison potions. Coldcrow dropped a Short Bow with lightning damage, so now I think my merc can carry me until Rabies becomes available.

Wolron said:
I noticed that the Cow King is an Act I item. I usually wait until after killing Baal to go after the cows, but does this mean that I must kill cows after dispatching Andariel? Or is it optional?
You can't. Your character has to kill Baal before being able to open the portal in said difficulty.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High