[2018] Bushcraft Tournament [by DiabloTwoinDC]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Migration finished :)

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by jiansonz on May 10, 2018. The last post was made Jun 12, 2018.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

- From Wictionary.com -
Bushcraft - the skills needed to survive in the bush, and by extension any natural environment.

What is this nonsense?
The goal of this tournament is to play a character WITHOUT returning to town. NO returning to town (or stash), and NO interacting with NPCs beyond what is necessary to complete quests. That means no shopping/gambling, and NO Cain IDs. Speaking to NPCs to claim quest rewards may be done while in town upon completion of act.
  1. Returning to Harrograth to get thawing potion from Malah - OK
  2. Returning to get @resist scroll from Malah - NOT OK

Rules and Info:
  • This is an open-ended tournament (no start/finish date)
  • You can enter as many times as you'd like.
  • Untwinked, Single-Pass, HC/SC (disqualification upon death)

Code:
Player:               Name:         Level:   Version:  Class:      Build:           Date:
-------------------   ------------  ------   --------  ---------   --------------   -------
DiabloTwoinDC         Endro          20      1.13      Druid       Fissure-Ranger   2018-05-09

Last edited:
Endro (lvl 12) - Stony Field

Well, I've quickly realized that the hardest thing to get used to, is going to be the lack of IDs. You're really gonna have to ration those out on items that could be potential upgrades on gear.

Hopefully, it won't be as painful further into the game. But, another thing to contend with is lack of repairs. That's one reason I went with a Ranged/Caster/Summoner. Carrying around a backups for when your gear breaks is annoying. For that reason, this has been my best find so far. 27 durability!
Screenshot377.jpg
I was going to do shopping/gambling/repairing at the end of each act. But, I'm gonna try and make it the whole way without any support from the townsfolk. So, I guess it's time to ditch my usual habit of picking up rings/pots/wands for gold..

Used my only gem shrine to upgrade a chipped emerald. I suspected this would be needed for the battle with Blood Raven.
Screenshot374.jpg
Screenshot375.jpg

She was way too fast for my Firestorm, so the battle descended into a match of dodging each other's arrows. Finally, managed to trap her in a corner and Firestorm quite a bit. Nearly didn't have enough health pots to survive though.. :confused:
Screenshot379.jpg
Screenshot380.jpg

Always loved reading these All Alone type tournaments. Quick question though:

DiabloTwoinDC said:
Speaking to NPCs to claim quest rewards may be done while in town upon completion of act.

Does this mean that at the end of the act we can collect ALL rewards from that act? Ie. merc from Kashya, ring from Atma, Resist scroll from Malah.

Or is it simply we can only collect rewards that are needed to push forward through the quests? I think it's been done both ways before in the past, just wondering which you intended.

Pb_pal said:
Does this mean that at the end of the act we can collect ALL rewards from that act? Ie. merc from Kashya, ring from Atma, Resist scroll from Malah.
That's the way I was going to do it. Collect all rewards after beating act bosses. Although, I'm debating going without a Merc. Also considering not using any of the "item" rewards (Anya, Ormus ring etc). That way all items have to come from the field.

I try not to put many rigid rules into tournaments. If you want to play with some variation, by all means. It's all about the spirit of the journey. :)

You can follow all the rules to a T. But, making a Spear weilding Blizzard Sorc isn't the objective.. :rolleyes:

ok, I will try this and see if it is possible. Here is my intent, if I am not with the spirit of the tournament let me know. I will never return to town, I will never talk to anyone, I will not buy anything, sell anything, get anything repaired or identified. I will collect all quest rewards at the end of the Act. I will hit all way points and complete all quests. I will not use my stash. I will use Players 8 if i is allowed. I cannot think of anything else to "not do".

If I complete Act 1, I will be shocked!

I am going to try an Amazon named Hermit. She will use a bow when she can find enough arrows.

@Wolron - Yea, I'm doing p8 for normal/NM. Your choice.

@Grisu - It's up to you. Originally, I was going to return to town at the end of each act and allow anything: shopping/gambling/resurrecting Merc.

The only basic "rule" or format is that you set out from town, and do not return until act is complete (with exceptions for progressing quests). Most quests aren't actually necessary. So, if you want to take it to the extreme, you can prohibit returning for stuff like Anya's thawing potion as well.

I'm attempting to do all quests. So, I'm allowing town trips, just to speak to NPCs to progress quests. Then, after beating act boss, I'll return to town and collect all quest rewards. Although, I'm probably avoiding A1 Kashya reward. And, I'll just ditch Anya reward item. But, feel free to make up your own rules. Twinking is like avoiding the entire challenge, so not so sure about that .. :p

Edit: I'm also using stash, but I'll only be able to access at the end of each act.

Endro (lvl 15) - Black Marsh

The lack of IDs and not using stash is getting brutal. I was trying to save rings + chippies to cube some stuff in A2. But, Endro is being crushed by the lack of space. IDs are not coming fast enough. You really gotta be choosy about what to use them on..

Run away and Molten Boulder!
Screenshot385.jpg

Had this sword for a long time before ID. Nice replacement for my scepter that was about to break. 51 Dura! ;)
Screenshot383.jpg

First pelt that dropped. I'll take it:
Screenshot386.jpg

DiabloTwoinDC said:
Endro (lvl 15) - Black Marsh

The lack of IDs and not using stash is getting brutal. I was trying to save rings + chippies to cube some stuff in A2. But, Endro is being crushed by the lack of space. IDs are not coming fast enough. You really gotta be choosy about what to use them on..
Amen brother! Hermit is on her way to rescue Cain, though I know not why. She is already dropping chips and charms. The good news is that She found a unique cap (Biggins Bonnet, I guess, buy it remains unidentified!). This tournament is rougher than my Spirit Tournament because of the lack of interactions, but easier in that any item you find is usable. I am enjoying the challenge!

I have a problem. I killed those three brutes and pilfered their scroll from the tree of Inafuss. I went back to the Rogue Camp because I had to to continue the Cain Quest. Of course when I asked Akara to interpret the scroll, she gave me the reward for The Den of Evil. My solution is to keep that skill level unused until Andariel is dead. What do you think?

Endro (lvl 18) - Barracks

Whew. Hitting lvl 18 for Dire Wolf was a nice upgrade. Now he's got some meat to hide behind and shoot arrows and Fissure. Found this sweet unique mace with 39 dura! ;)
Screenshot392.jpg

I'm a bit concerned about the Andariel fight.. I was running desperately low on health pots for a while. But, I also don't have any room to stockpile. I figure Fissure and running away should do the trick though.

Hermit has gotten to the inner cloister. It was not easy. In Jail level 1 she had almost no health (looked like 10%), no health potions, no arrows, no mana potions. Her first amazing accomplishment was using fists to kill a couple easy monsters. That got nothing except another -5% health. Then she remembered that there are hidden secret rooms with loot in them. Sure enough, there were two light healing potions and a rare spiked club. She even had an ID scroll to use on the club. After that, it was still pretty rough, but she spent the rest of levels 1 and 2 of the jail on the edge of eternity. Late in jail level 1 she found arrows. Pitspawn Fouldog and his band were the last difficult battle. She had to avoid him for a while so that she could dispose of the "band".

Finally she reached the inner cloister and decided to call it a night. She will start off there tomorrow and see how she fairs against Andariel.

Hermit is at level 19. Here is her favoite bow (Isn't it wonderful that bows do not wear out!)

Bramble Fletch
Short Bow
'Tal'
Two-Hand Damage: 3 to 5
Required Dexterity: 15
Required Level: 17
Bow Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 13
Fingerprint: 0xb914b51d
+2 to Minimum Damage
+1 to Maximum Damage
+75 poison damage over 5 seconds
5% Mana stolen per hit
Socketed (2: 2 used)

She has two nice rare rings also:

Ghoul Loop Ring
Required Level: 5
Item Level: 7
Fingerprint: 0x85a627fc
+8 to Maximum Stamina
+1 to Maximum Damage
Fire Resist +6%
6% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Poison Length Reduced by 25%

Rune Knot
Ring
Required Level: 9
Item Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0xc536c6e1
+1 to Strength
+4 to Life
+47 to Attack Rating
+1 to Maximum Damage
Lightning Resist +19%

This belt is not great, but it won't wear out.

Raven Clasp
Light Belt
Defense: 3
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 4
Item Level: 10
Fingerprint: 0xbca61eca
+7 to Mana
Cold Resist +8%
Attacker Takes Damage of 1
Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds

Other than an amulet with +10 MF, the rest of her gear is either worthless or near the end of its life (or both!).

This is a great idea for a tournament, but I can see why so few are willing to try it. Personally, I can hardly wait for Act 1's conclusion so I can get a mercenary. I have saved a Biggins Bonnet with only 2 durability left to give to that merc. I also have a decent bow in the off hand for her. Other than those two items, all I have is wirt's leg, the horodric malus, a few spare potions and a bunch of chippies. No ATMA use yet, and I have decided to ignore ATMA as long as possible. The only real purpose that I can see for it is saving socket fillers.

Wolron said:
In Jail level 1 she had almost no health (looked like 10%), no health potions, no arrows, no mana potions.
Scary! :eek:

I had 2x boss packs in the tower that wiped out all my healing pots right before Countess. After that scare I decided to go with a replenish HP Ammy, and put a skull in armor.

I’m at inner cloister as well. Feeling confident now:

-2x Dire wolves + oak sage
-3os Long bow (em, em, envy)
-Fissure instead of Firestorm
-3 tier white belt!

This has also challenged my memory. I’ve had plenty of times where I dropped loot because no space/no IDs. Then when you come across an ID, where did I drop that blue ring? ..

Or, I’ve been passing up on chippies now because of lack of space. But, once space opens up, I gotta run back and get them! :p

Endro (lvl 15) - Lut Gholein

Gold donation to the Rogue Encampment.
Screenshot398.jpg

Oh man, that is nice to finally visit stash and clear out all those chipped gems. I guess I technically returned to town twice after killing Andy. To clear out inventory, and then back to pick up her drops, which I hope will improve Endro's gear quite a bit:
Screenshot396.jpg

Andy was painful for wolves, but pretty easily managed.
Screenshot395.jpg

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High