[2016] The Build Your Own Tournament! [by Dazliare]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts. :)

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by Dazliare on Apr 29, 2016. The last post was made Oct 6, 2019.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

Something something interesting backstory that I’m frankly too lazy to come up with

--

Welcome to the Build Your Own Tournament! A tournament where you are free to make your own rules, or follow in another’s footsteps. This tournament is for all the folks out there who look at the list of past tournaments and would like to try one that isn’t active anymore. It’s for the folks who have a tournament idea but don’t want to host their own. Come one, come all!

Let's get to the rules!

General Rules

1. HC, or SC with disqualification upon first death (feel free to continue to update, although you cannot win the tournament.)

2. Single-pass, untwinked only. (You may, of course, sprint from a WP to an uncleared area when starting a new session. Keep kills to an absolute minimum while maintaining safety, but all drops are off limits)

3. You may defer completion of non-item "rewards" quests (Larzuk Socketing, Anya Personalization) and return for the rewards at any point. You may also return to previous acts/difficulties for shopping purposes as you please.

4. ATMA/GoMule may be used as an extended stash (you may also hot-mule off, as long as you adhere to the rules. Please take extra care to avoid any problems. Here is the relevant quote from the SPF Rules FAQ:

5. You may re-enter as many times as you wish, or enter multiple characters at once. You may sign-up any time.

6. Version 1.10+, RRM/RWM/FAM allowed. No MP, no Trading.

7. Any /players setting may be used at any time.

8. Save + Exit to avoid death is NOT allowed, and results in disqualification from the tournament. (you may, however, S+E if running from a previously cleared area and you get yourself in trouble.)

9. I will make and maintain a table with progress. This will hopefully eliminate mix-ups and missed updates.

Tournament Specific Rules:

None! When you start a character, please post a basic summary of your personal ruleset, or mention who’s you plan to follow. I ask that you link to your rules when updating us.

11. There are no restrictions, except those you make for yourslef

12. The winner(s) is/are anyone who makes Guardian status. The prize is unending pride and a whole whack of admiration from the SPF.

13. Have fun! May all your drops be IFT worthy.

The tournament starts now, good luck!

I'll start us off with Cienele, the bowzon! Play-through specific rules:

1. Only magic and rare items may be equipped at all times, including starting out. You must punch enemies until a magic/rare is found

This includes quest items like the viper amulet, etc.

3. Respec is fine

4. Runewords are not allowed

5. Mercenaries must only use magic/rare items as well

6. Only blue and yellow art jewels are usable

7. Socketed magics and rares are fine, but may only be socketed by jewels, topazes, or sapphires

Taken from Random Tournament 2013:

djmbbandie's Assassin:

Forever Skills:
Cloak of Shadows
Fists of Fire
Blade sentinal--> Death Sentry
Phoenix Strike

Normal Skills:
Tiger Strike
Dragon Claw
Dragon Tail
Burst of Speed

Gear:
Medium armor
Bone Helm--> Circlet
Bone Shield
Heavy Gloves
Belt
Light Plated Boots

Halberd
Scissors Katar
Wrist Blade
War Sycthe --> Halbread--->Bardiche

Rules:

1. The top 8 listed skills are the only skills usable.

2. putting points in synergies is fine

3. usable Gear and weapons are restricted to the items listed above.

4. extended stash

Katarina the Very Excited Assassin (version 2) Level 1: Up next: Blood Moor.

This will be started tomorrow night.

Dazliare said:
I'll start us off with Cienele, the bowzon! Play-through specific rules:

1. Only magic and rare items may be equipped at all times, including starting out. You must punch enemies until a magic/rare is found

This includes quest items like the viper amulet, etc.

3. Respec is fine

4. Runewords are not allowed

5. Mercenaries must only use magic/rare items as well

6. Only blue and yellow art jewels are usable

7. Socketed magics and rares are fine, but may only be socketed by jewels, topazes, or sapphires
Never knew you were swedish =)

EDIT: No? Just that fascination with blue and yellow made me think of their flag =)

When does this Tournament start? Today? Let me know, I'm in.

Edit: I saw Southpaw bring up sixstringers tournament ruleset for the sword of destiny (below), and that just seemed super fun. I'm switching over to that from my passivezon for this tourney. I'll get back to her after I have my first run in with a big pack of gloams :x.

Character Name: Navatara
Class: Zeal Paladin, Probably using Holy Shock. Exact Build TBD
Level: 1, HC
Zone: Rogue Encampment

Daz! Cool idea!

This will give me an opportunity to try out a build that I've always wanted to run, but could never really come up with a tournament idea that could accommodate other classes and maintain the same spirit.

Presenting Aikido the Revivomancer.

Background: Aikido is a modern Japanese self-defense martial art that focuses on redirecting an attacker's momentum to disarm or disengage them. In that vein, his journey will make use of only what he can gain from his enemies to use against them.

Rules:

1. Only equipment dropped from enemies may be used. This means no items from shopping, gambling or poppables. This rule applies only to things that can be "equipped", so potions, scrolls etc can be purchased. Anything can be sold TO vendors, and repairs are not restricted. Same applies to merc equipment. Quest items (gold lettering only, so cube, Anya Scroll, Khalim's Flail etc) are not subject to this restriction.

2. The only skills he will be allowed to use are Revive, Iron Golem (made from only items dropped from monsters), and Corpse Explosion(restricted to a single point). A single point in all Curses is also allowed.

That's it really, pretty straight-forward!

Good luck everyone, I look forward to seeing some creative ideas here. :)

The "How can an Oculus be ethical ?" tournament.

Everyone enters with Sorceress, levels to 42 in normal, then enters nightmare equipped with an Oculus (2 if weapon swap is used)

Single pass, first death ends players challenge, player to Kill Hell Baal at highest level wins. :)

Resurrecting Sixstringer's awesome tournament idea and I will be starting with Kristberg the Concentration Barbarian.
Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

TOURNAMENT: THE SWORD OF DESTINY

The legends are many. A single warrior. A single blade. Together, no host of evil can stand against them. They are linked through prophecy and legend. Aragorn and Anduril. Rand al'Thor and Callandor. King Arthur and Excalibur.

This tournament plays off the classic stories of the hero and his trusty sword. You find or make a legendary sword, and then are linked to that blade for the rest of your career.

THE RULES:

1) The Sword of Destiny:
The first unique or set two-handed sword that drops is your character's "Sword of Destiny," the weapon that has been linked to him/ her through prophecy. Once that weapon drops, it is the only weapon that is permitted to be used, with one exception (see #2). If you do not meet the requirements, it remains your Sword of Destiny no matter what other drops occur. At level up, all future skill points must be devoted to becoming qualified to use that sword. You may socket your sword of destiny, upgrade it, enhance it in any way you wish, but it must be the only weapon you use. There is only one way to change your weapon after the first unique or set two-handed sword has dropped . . . see #2.

2) The Runesword: No warrior is more intimately linked to his sword than the warrior who has crafted his or her own sword. Once, and once only per character, you may use runes to create a runeword out of a two-handed sword. Once that is done, the character can never use any other weapon, with no exceptions. It replaces or supercedes any set or unique sword you have found or drops in the future. A character who creates a runesword has essentially made his final weapon choice. This is, however, a way to upgrade your weapon if your Sword of Destiny turns out to be less than endgame powerful. If you make a "Steel" runesword with Tir and El in Act I normal, however, that is your sword until your character dies or wins the tournament.

3) Two-handed swords are the only weapons permitted for use in this tournament. Your character has devoted his life to swordcraft. Barbs must use two-handed swords two-handed and cannot dual wield. You can use any rare or mundane sword that drops during gameplay until you find your Sword of Destiny, but you cannot purchase anything but a white or grey sword. No blues ever, at any time. You can also use the imbue quest for a two-handed sword if you choose, though that can be used for other gear as well.

4) If your Sword of Destiny drops as ethereal, you must use that sword until its durability expires. Then, once it is useless, the gods will grant you another Sword of Destiny (i.e., you must go back to using whites, greys or rares until the next unique or set two-handed sword drops. No sword that drops while you are using the Ethereal blade is permitted for use.

5) Untwinked, hardcore, or softcore until first death. Players may choose their players setting and change it at will. Enter as many times as you wish.

6) Re-running of areas is permitted. The hero will search every corner of the world to find the blade of prophecy, but consider: re-running low-level areas is a good way to ensure your Sword of Destiny will be low-level as well.

7) Classes: Any, though some characters have clear disadvantages. (More info below).

8) Other gear: All other gear (including jewelry) must be mundane (white or grey), rare, or crafted. No blues allowed anywhere on your character, and no set or uniques except the Sword of Destiny.

9) All charms are permitted.

10) Socketing rules: You are a swordsman, not a jeweler. You cannot socket anything in ANY gear except your sword, as you are intimimately familiar with it. Anything you find (gems, runes, jewels, facets) is fair game for socketing in your sword--including any sword you use before your Sword of Destiny drops, but you can't socket any other gear. And remember, only one runeword sword allowed per game as described in rule 2.

11) No gambling. Heroes of Destiny do not find their gear by gambling.

10) Melee kills only. Curses, auras, buffs, etc. are allowed to enhance the damage of the sword, but spells or skills which deal damage without a strike of the sword are not permitted in combat (they can, however, be used as synergies or have a point as a prequisite.) Damage return skills are OK, such as Thorns, Iron Maiden, and Spirit of Barbs, as they are essentially melee skills.

12)Summons, Minions, and Mercs: Heroes of Destiny often have companions, but they typically travel in small bands. For this tournament, you can have no more than two damage-dealing members of your party, including mercenaries. For example, a necromancer who summons a golem and a skeleton could not have a mercenary. However, a druid with a grizzly and Act I mercenary could summon his Heart of Wolverine (because it does not deal direct damage to enemies), but not a raven or poison creeper.

13) Merc gear: Mercs can only wear rare, crafted, or white/greys. No socketing of merc gear.

14) No scoring, except that the lowest level Guardian wins. This will encourage players to take risks and not do to much re-running. Tournament ends when there have been no posts for two weeks.

SPECIFIC SKILL INFORMATION:
ASSASSIN:

No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:
Everything except War Cry. No dual wielding.

DRUID:
Uh . . . not much. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No shapeshifting, as then you're using claws and not a sword. Nothing in the elemental tree except Cyclone Armor.

NECROMANCER:
All curses are permitted in combat except Confusion and Attract. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No poison skills, no bone spear, teeth or bone spirit. No corpse explosion.

PALADIN:
No holy bolt, Fist of Heavens, blessed hammer, smite, or conversion.

SORCERESS:
Only skills available are Enchant, Warmth, Energy Shield, teleport, masteries, and the cold armor branch.

Southpaw8668 said:
Resurrecting Sixstringer's awesome tournament idea and I will be starting with Kristberg the Concentration Barbarian.
Spoiler
Tournament: The Sword of Destiny

TOURNAMENT: THE SWORD OF DESTINY

The legends are many. A single warrior. A single blade. Together, no host of evil can stand against them. They are linked through prophecy and legend. Aragorn and Anduril. Rand al'Thor and Callandor. King Arthur and Excalibur.

This tournament plays off the classic stories of the hero and his trusty sword. You find or make a legendary sword, and then are linked to that blade for the rest of your career.

THE RULES:

1) The Sword of Destiny:
The first unique or set two-handed sword that drops is your character's "Sword of Destiny," the weapon that has been linked to him/ her through prophecy. Once that weapon drops, it is the only weapon that is permitted to be used, with one exception (see #2). If you do not meet the requirements, it remains your Sword of Destiny no matter what other drops occur. At level up, all future skill points must be devoted to becoming qualified to use that sword. You may socket your sword of destiny, upgrade it, enhance it in any way you wish, but it must be the only weapon you use. There is only one way to change your weapon after the first unique or set two-handed sword has dropped . . . see #2.

2) The Runesword: No warrior is more intimately linked to his sword than the warrior who has crafted his or her own sword. Once, and once only per character, you may use runes to create a runeword out of a two-handed sword. Once that is done, the character can never use any other weapon, with no exceptions. It replaces or supercedes any set or unique sword you have found or drops in the future. A character who creates a runesword has essentially made his final weapon choice. This is, however, a way to upgrade your weapon if your Sword of Destiny turns out to be less than endgame powerful. If you make a "Steel" runesword with Tir and El in Act I normal, however, that is your sword until your character dies or wins the tournament.

3) Two-handed swords are the only weapons permitted for use in this tournament. Your character has devoted his life to swordcraft. Barbs must use two-handed swords two-handed and cannot dual wield. You can use any rare or mundane sword that drops during gameplay until you find your Sword of Destiny, but you cannot purchase anything but a white or grey sword. No blues ever, at any time. You can also use the imbue quest for a two-handed sword if you choose, though that can be used for other gear as well.

4) If your Sword of Destiny drops as ethereal, you must use that sword until its durability expires. Then, once it is useless, the gods will grant you another Sword of Destiny (i.e., you must go back to using whites, greys or rares until the next unique or set two-handed sword drops. No sword that drops while you are using the Ethereal blade is permitted for use.

5) Untwinked, hardcore, or softcore until first death. Players may choose their players setting and change it at will. Enter as many times as you wish.

6) Re-running of areas is permitted. The hero will search every corner of the world to find the blade of prophecy, but consider: re-running low-level areas is a good way to ensure your Sword of Destiny will be low-level as well.

7) Classes: Any, though some characters have clear disadvantages. (More info below).

8) Other gear: All other gear (including jewelry) must be mundane (white or grey), rare, or crafted. No blues allowed anywhere on your character, and no set or uniques except the Sword of Destiny.

9) All charms are permitted.

10) Socketing rules: You are a swordsman, not a jeweler. You cannot socket anything in ANY gear except your sword, as you are intimimately familiar with it. Anything you find (gems, runes, jewels, facets) is fair game for socketing in your sword--including any sword you use before your Sword of Destiny drops, but you can't socket any other gear. And remember, only one runeword sword allowed per game as described in rule 2.

11) No gambling. Heroes of Destiny do not find their gear by gambling.

10) Melee kills only. Curses, auras, buffs, etc. are allowed to enhance the damage of the sword, but spells or skills which deal damage without a strike of the sword are not permitted in combat (they can, however, be used as synergies or have a point as a prequisite.) Damage return skills are OK, such as Thorns, Iron Maiden, and Spirit of Barbs, as they are essentially melee skills.

12)Summons, Minions, and Mercs: Heroes of Destiny often have companions, but they typically travel in small bands. For this tournament, you can have no more than two damage-dealing members of your party, including mercenaries. For example, a necromancer who summons a golem and a skeleton could not have a mercenary. However, a druid with a grizzly and Act I mercenary could summon his Heart of Wolverine (because it does not deal direct damage to enemies), but not a raven or poison creeper.

13) Merc gear: Mercs can only wear rare, crafted, or white/greys. No socketing of merc gear.

14) No scoring, except that the lowest level Guardian wins. This will encourage players to take risks and not do to much re-running. Tournament ends when there have been no posts for two weeks.

SPECIFIC SKILL INFORMATION:
ASSASSIN:

No traps. No mind blast.

AMAZON:
Passives tree only.

BARBARIAN:
Everything except War Cry. No dual wielding.

DRUID:
Uh . . . not much. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No shapeshifting, as then you're using claws and not a sword. Nothing in the elemental tree except Cyclone Armor.

NECROMANCER:
All curses are permitted in combat except Confusion and Attract. Summons as long as they follow the summons rule. No poison skills, no bone spear, teeth or bone spirit. No corpse explosion.

PALADIN:
No holy bolt, Fist of Heavens, blessed hammer, smite, or conversion.

SORCERESS:
Only skills available are Enchant, Warmth, Energy Shield, teleport, masteries, and the cold armor branch.
That looks awesome! Best of luck :)

Katarina materializes via the Cold Plains waypoint

Kat: Well, I got started again. The game really likes dropping triple durability rares. Opened with two houses with chests in the Blood Moor, which was a nice surprise. Am now running with a wrist blade of blight and waiting on some ring mail. Let me introduce my new merc.

Heather materializes

Heather: Hi, I’m Heather, Kat was left speechless when Commander Kashya told her there was no Elly currently in the encampment. Fortunately, she had taken a liking to me since I was the first to talk to her when she left the encampment and when she came back. I’m now her merc. No real NDEs so far.

Kat: Besides Coldcrow, which was pretty much divide and conquer. Now waiting on a three socket ring mail and for Gheed to start handing out rare wrist blades…. *taps foot impatiently.

Heather: We’re headed off to the Stony Field next, back to the encampment now for some sleep.

Kat: Yep. Let’s head out.

*portal appears and the two vanish.

*DJ appears

DJ: sorry I’m late, did I miss anything?

Katarina, the currently level 11.9 Assassin with her assistant Heather in the Cold Plains. Next up: Stony Field

Interesting rule sets so far, very creative with some of the backgrounds. I'm going to keep mine simple - the restriction will not be in items or skills, but in attribute points.

Rule of the Titan:

1. Attribute points can only be allocated in strength and/or dexterity.

Going Werebear.

That sword of destiny one looks really fun. I almost want to quit my daggerzon and start that up ;x.

Maybe if I die....

It says you're not allowed to use spells that damage the enemies independently of striking in it. Do you think that rules out auras like holy freeze that do super-pidly pulse damage independently of striking, but have some pulse damage nonetheless? I guess it does, by the rules, and you'd be stuck with fanaticism for a damage aura....

Anyways, looks really cool. I might join you later if I run into some bad luck.

@Dazliare - Awesome hat! Shame about the eth, but it kind of makes it even cooler. EDIT: Just noticed it repairs durability. Well that's just peachy then. :)

@NanoMist - Cool! I had a ton of fun with my Titan Werebear in kestegs' Committed Tournament, although he met an early demis in A3NM. Super fun build, good luck and may your fate be better than mine was!

@Southpaw8668 - Wicked idea, that will be super fun to follow. I hope some others take up that challenge too.

Random question - does anyone know if the +3 bow skills that can spawn on an amazon bow will stay when I imbue it?

EDIT: I half answered my own question. +3 can't spawn on rare amazon only items, but I can't find any info on whether or not the other automods will stay around. Anyone know?

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High