[2016] ~+ C y b e r p u n k Tournament +~ [by Mezion]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts. :)

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by Mezion on July 31, 2016. The last post was made Jan 21, 2017.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

6rAYjBH.png

When greedy corporate demons impose their rules on Sanctuary city, only a handful of individuals can intervene. In this era of augmented humans, cybernetic angels and rune-scripted artificial intelligences, nothing is certain.

Quick intro:

By replaying the Undeadcraft Tournament recently, I realized why it was kind of hard to start a character. Even if the best of intentions were there, that tournament was slow to get to the good parts (which is fine for people looking for a challenge, I am still hosting it). This brings me here, to a new-type of tournament. This time, it's about the Dystopian world of demonic controlled sanctuary city. It’s a new twist on multiple themes I am very fond of and hopefully it should be fun for you guys.

Focus:

+ Crafting
+ Using items that are out of the norm
+ Using skill charges and skillss outside of your class
+ Roleplaying
+ Finding alternative farming areas (maybe?)

Basic Rules:

- Hardcore or Softcore, but retirement on first death.
- RWM/RRM may be used.
- Diablo version is up to you. Use whatever you want, make sure to tell us.
- Stats. There is no rule regarding stats allocations.
- Multiplayer permitted.
- Player setting can be modified to suit your needs.
- Buying/Gambling permitted.
- Replays are allowed (and even encouraged).
- Muling is permitted to transfer things out. The only time you can mule things in is when creating the character (more on this later).

Duration

I do not intend to give this Tournament any fix duration.

Scoring, & Rewards

+ 1 point per Quest done
+ 1 point per waypoint controlled (including the towns)
+ 5 points for completing Normal.
+ 10 point for completing Nightmare.
+ 15 points for completing Hell.

+ Bonus points: Someone finishing their journey (either successful or dead) should still provide a nice explanation and final presentation of their character. It will be possible to earn additional points if the character is remarkable, aesthetically pleasing, etc.
+ Bonus points: If you defeat the whole game and end your run, you can still retire with glory. You have the possibility to turn this character into one of your permanent character used to farm or anything you want, and so, this opens up muling for you. Why am I explaining this? You can receive bonus points if you fully flesh out your character even after "winning" and find a use for it.

Characters:
  • Are allowed to only use specific skills and specific equipment, and this is regardless of their actual class so you can be creative with off-class skills. The system permits some flexibility: Passive skills and synergies may be augmented. Any item with a listed skill (either in the form of charges, on hit/striking or +skill) can be used. Examples:
    • If you can only use clay golem, you can still invest in all other golem-related skills to buff him, but you can only cast clay golem.
    • If you can use Corpse Explosion, you can use Corpsemount.
    • If you can use Curses, you can use wands with + curses/+ specific curse on them, item with curse charges, etc. (This is also to help enable the cross-skill usage).
  • Characters have a Hack-gem associated with them. They can only use these gems in their equipment, and can hack equipment with them (all other gems can be used for crafting, but can’t be socketed in any items)
  • They are limited in their Hireling choices.
  • Hirelings have the same item restrictions.
  • Balance is not something to consider here necessarily. Some characters will have more choices for equipment than other, and some more choices of skills. Some might be better to roleplay than others, and this is fine since we aren’t all looking for the exact same experience out of this I believe. Pick what feels right for you, and don't hesitate to try again.
For all characters:

Skills:

+ Amazon Passive & Magic skills (not Valkyrie)
+ Barbarian Combat Masteries

Hacking:

All characters are able to “hack” items. This means that they can make an item usable for them, which they wouldn't have access normally. To do this, they must either:
+ Socket the item with their hack-gem (any quality).
+ An Anya quest reward will automatically hack an item for you.

Basic equipment:

All characters will begin the game with some basic items muled in (this is to help speed up the process and give a chance to hack some starting item. This also makes the beginning less of a crawl). This includes:
+ 3 chipped gems (of their hack-gem type)
+ The Horadric Cube

Items:

+ Any rune can be used
+ Any jewel can be used.
+ Charms can be used if they match any item criteria available to your class, or if they boost a skill tree that you are using.

[----- - ----- - ----- - ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ -----]

The classes:

[BioEngineer]

ve4Ycob.png

The BioEngineer is an expert in DNA manipulation and various bio-creations. He is unafraid to use his talent on himself and anyone around him.

Hack-gem:

+ Emerald

Items:

+ Prevent Monster Healing Items
+ Blood Items (crafted)
+ Necromancer Shrunken Heads
+ Rare/Set/Unique Belts
+ Poison attack potions
+ Charms with poison damage

Skills:

+ Shapeshifting (Werewolf & neutral)
+ Clay/Blood Golem | Revive
+ Poison Creeper
+ Venom
+ Poison Javelin | Plague Javelin
+ Poison Dagger | Poison Explosion | Poison Nova

Mercenary:

+ Rogue Scout & Barbarian

[Bounty Hunter]
gn60uLR.png

There is no greater threat than a Bounty Hunter with a contract on you. You never know where the shot will come from, but it will come. Oh yes it will.

Hack-gem:

+ Amethyst (Gem)

Items:

+ Open Wound items
+ Crushing Blow items
+ Rare/Set/Unique Crossbows
+ Amazon Weapons | Assassin Katars
+ Blood Items (crafted)
+ Charms with + min/max damage.

Skills:

+ Tiger Strike | Dragon Talon | Dragon Claw | Cobra Strike | Dragon Flight
+ Burst of Speed | Cloak of Shadows | Fade | Shadow Warrior/Master
+ Blade Sentinel | Blade Fury | Blade Shield
+ Amplify Damage | Decrepify
+ Magic Arrow | Multiple Shot | Guided Arrow | Strafe

Mercenary:

+ Rogue Scout & Barbarians

[CyberWitch]
UY4K5SZ.png

The CyberWitch monitors her surrounding in augmented reality at all time. She usually bring a mobile-console to interact with the cyberspace. If needed, she is able to discharges static and hack living things around her.

Hack-gem:

+ Topaz (Gem)

Items:

+ Caster Items (crafted)
+ Curse on attack items
+ Sorceress Orbs
+ Rare/Set/Unique Gloves
+ Charms with lightning resist

Skills:

+ Curses
+ Shock Web | Charged Bolt Sentry | Lightning Sentry | Death Sentry
+ Charged Bolt | Lightning | Chain Lightning | Thunder Storm
+ Any skills from runewords
+ Any warcries from charges

Mercenary:

+ Rogue Scout & Ironwolves (Lightning)

[Daemon]
Fn4BQmi.png

The Daemon is a special psi agent. He uses his mind to interact with others and forces his will upon his enemies. He is capable of telekinesis of all kinds and mind control.

Hack-gem:

+ Sapphire (Gem)

Items:

+ Make Monsters Flee When Hit items
+ Hit Blinds Target items
+ Curse on attack items
+ Caster Items (crafted)
+ Masks
+ Charms with mana

Skills:

+ Conversion
+ Telekinesis | Static Field | Teleport | Energy Shield
+ Psychic Hammer | Mind Blast | Shadow Warrior
+ Howl | Taunt | Grim Ward
+ Dim Vision | Iron Maiden | Terror | Confuse | Attract
+ Skeletal Mage
+ Magic Arrow | Guided Arrow

Mercenary:

+ Rogue Scout & Desert Mercenaries (Prayer/Thorns)

[Nanomancer]
7AcUu4l.png

Nanomancer are special agent with highly-enhanced bodies. Part of their new implants acts as miniature nanite-factory, which enable them to control swarms of nanite to do their bidding. In Sanctuary city, this comes in handy when dealing with the dead. Not only are they easy to swarm and turn to dust, they are in fact good material for more nanite. This makes the Nanomancer an expert to deal with the dead.

Hack-gem:

+ Diamond (Gem)

Items:

+ "Reduce Damage By" items
+ "Attacker Takes Damage" items
+ "Damage vs Undead" items
+ Rare/Set/Unique Paladin Shields
+ Caster Items (crafted)
+ Charms with Faster Hit Recovery

Skills:

+ Thorns | Sanctuary | Conviction
+ Prayer | Cleansing | Vigor | Redemption
+ Holy Bolt | Charge | Holy Shield | Fist of the Heavens
+ Blade Shield
+ Corpse Explosion

Mercenary:

[Occult Pariah]
OrPR3vQ.png

People stopped believing in magic. However, there is something quite scary with people doing old sacrificial rituals in the name of cyberspace entities. What sort of blessing can one find?

Hack-gem:

+ Skull (Gem)

Items:

+ "triggered when hit" items
+ Bone type items (Bone Knife, Bone Helms, Bone Shield)
+ Hit Power Items (crafted)
+ Blood Items (crafted)
+ Charms with life

Skills:

+ Sacrifice
+ Thorns
+ Iron Maiden | Life Tap
+ Teeth | Bone Armor | Corpse Explosion | Bone Wall | Bone Spear | Bone Prison | Bone Spirit
+ Raven | Creepers | Spirits
+ Shapeshifting (Werebear & neutral)
+ Hydra

Mercenary:

[Rogue A.I.]
NYhD093.png

Recent news talks about some disturbance in cyberspace. I’’m not sure about that, but when I try to use augmented reality to have a good look around the city, that’s also messing up and lagging badly. Anyone is investigating this?

Hack-gem:

+ Sapphire (Gem)

Items:

+ Hit Freezes Target items
+ Hit Power Items (crafted)
+ any Ethereal items
+ Hack: 2 Jewel (new option to hack an item)
+ Charms with cold damage

Skills:

+ Frozen Armor | Frost Nova | Shiver Armor | Chilling Armor | Frozen Orb
+ Warmth | Enchant
+ Telekinesis | Nova | Thunder Storm | Energy Shield
+ Decrepify | Lower Resists

Mercenary:

+ Rogue Scout

Choose one:
> Grid Monitor

+ (Mercenary) Desert Mercenaries (Blessed Aim/Holy Freeze)
+ (Skills) Curses
> System Predator
+ (Mercenary) Ironwolves (Lightning)
+ (Skills) Bone Spirits
+ (Skills) Twister | Tornado | Hurricane

[Street Punk]
9pdIHoX.png

Living on the streets has its perks. The deals are easy to find and easy to do.

Hack-gem:

+ Emerald (Gem)

Items:

+ Faster Walking/Running Speed items
+ "Extra Gold" non-Mail/non-Plate Boots/Gloves/Belts/Helm/Armor
+ "Extra Gold" charms
+ Druid Pelts/Barbarian Helms/Necromancer Shrunken Heads
+ Attack potions / Thrown weapons
+ Daggers
+ Safety Items (crafted)

Skills:

+ Find potion/item
+ Bash | Leap | Double Throw | Frenzy | Whirlwind
+ Magic Arrow | Multiple Shot | Guided Arrow | Strafe
+ Blade Sentinel | Blade Fury | Blade Shield
+ Any skills from charges

Mercenary:

+ Rogue Scout & Barbarians

[Titanian]
JDixt7G.png

Life of a private officer can be good you know. All you need is a good amount of stamina-enhancing implants, and some corporate Jo who is really scared for his life and pays well. After years, you become quite the newman. I’m not even sure if “man” is the appropriate word when more than 90% of your body is cyber implants.

Hack-gem:

+ Amethyst (Gem)

Items:

+ Safety Items (crafted)
+ Indestructible items
+ Absorb items
+ "Repair Durability" Weapons
+ "Repair Durability" Mail/Plate Boots/Gloves/Belts/Helm/Armor
+ Charms with defense

Skills:

+ Jab | Power Strike | Impale | Fend |
+ Iron/Clay Golem
+ Smite | Charge | Holy Shield
+ Might
+ Defensive Auras
+ Bash | Leap | Stun | Leap Attack | Concentrate | Berserk

Mercenary:

+ Rogue Scout & Desert Mercenaries (any)

[Virtuoso]
n1ZNYhw.png

{incomprehensible noises, repeated fast and aggressively}

Hack-gem:

+ Topaz (Gem)

Items:

+ Caster Items (crafted)
+ Elemental Wands
+ Extra Gold Items
+ Magic Finds Items

Choose one:
> Electro/Synth/Trance artist

+ Any deep purple/red clothing
+ Ruby (Additional Hack-Gem)
> Metal/Rock/Punk artist
+ Any deep blue/green clothing
+ Skull (Additional Hack-Gem)

Skills:

+ Warcries | Find potion/item
+ Holy Fire | Holy Freeze | Holy Shock | Conviction

Mercenary:

+ Rogue Scout & Desert Mercenaries (Prayer/Thorns/Defiance/Blessed Aim)

[----- - ----- - ----- - ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ -----]

Area:

Most of the areas aren’t allowed for rerun. However, there are exceptions. These areas are well suited for the dystopian setting, and may offer some good farming if needed. At any point, if you need to grind a little before moving on, feel free to visit:

Act I:
- Forgotten Tower (A yes, a good run, a quick buck, she won’t even notice)
- Cathedral (Charming, peaceful, sinful. The Cathedral is quite the nightclub.)

Act II:
- Harem (Decadence and excellent music)
-
Arcane Sanctuary (Cyberspace area inhabited by one of the most famous code artist known as The Summoner. Be sure to load up on proper anti-demonic virus programs before venturing)
- Sewer (Lut Gholein) (Sometime you have to hide. Sometime, you have to find what hides)

Act III:
- Kurast (Lower/Bazaar/Upper) (A dense population, trading avenues and nice chests too)
- Sewer (Kurast) (You might yet find treasures in the undercity)

Act V:
- Nihlathak's Temple (+Halls) (What sort of nightmares are created here?)

So there you go, enjoy! I will update this post if some things are unclear, feel free to ask.

Code:
~ ALIVE ~
Character ----- Type / Class   ----- Forum Name ----- Level ----- Act ----- Score

~ DEAD/RETIRED ~
Character ----- Type / Class  ----- Forum Name ----- Level ----- Act ----- Score

Music:

Small music section to set the mood if you want inspiration:
System Shock 1 Music: Intro Theme (Chicajo Retro Mix)

Carpenter Brut - Roller Mobster

Carpenter Brut - Turbo Killer

Blade Runner Blues - Vangelis

Perturbator - "Future Club" [Dangerous Days Premiere - 2014]

Perturbator - "Raw Power" ["Dangerous Days" Official]

Perturbator - "Sentient"

Abandoned Streets - Jordan F

HOME - Resonance

Hotline Miami 2 OST: Mega Drive - NARC

Edit:
- Added some examples for the skill/item restriction.
- Small tips here: be creative with the item restriction like "must have Open Wound" or similar effect requirement. Runes and runewords are a good way to make item that meets the criteria.
6rAYjBH

Last edited:
Sounds fun. Count me in. Playing 1.14d HC and only muling in 3 chipped amethysts (no cube).

Code:
~ ALIVE ~
Character ----- Type / Class   ----- Forum Name ----- Level ----- Act ----- Score
Velora          Titanian/Amazon      Vildecor         1           1         1

~ DEAD/RETIRED ~
Character ----- Type / Class  ----- Forum Name ----- Level ----- Act ----- Score

Thanks for joining Vildecor. I'll be participating as-well pretty soon. I'm unsure yet of which one I'll do. A fancy Virtuoso might be fun since I don't have anything like that in single player (also I keep finding "good looking armor" with other characters which make it tempting to collect them for no good reasons really). A Nanomancer might be good also, specially to farm undead areas. mmm... Will think about it some more and join you soon.

This looks awesome! I'll be joining as soon as I figure out what build/class to play. Couple questions:

1. Can we revisit previous acts/difficulties for shopping purposes? Or to use our Anya personalization reward to hack an item?
2. For the Occult Pariah, what are "Bone Items"? Just base items made from bone (Bone Knife, Bone Shield, etc) or ANY item with bone in the name (Bonesnap, or a rare with bone in the title, for example).

Hey Pb_pal:
1) Yes revisit the town as needed for any need, even past difficulties.
2) Bone items will be limited to the items made from Bones, like the ones you mentioned, and not the one named "Bone-something". I will add this in the original post to make it more clear, thanks!

I think I get it, and I'm interested, but one quick question:

Whatever class we pick, we can only use the items listed, plus the three hacked items, right? If so, won't it be quite difficult until crafting starts becoming an option? The bioengineer for example; PMH can't spawn on a helmet, and you can't craft a blood helm until you can cube a perfect ruby. You could theoretically farm the tower a hundred times for the runes and gems needed for a bunch of blood gear, but is that the intent? Or am I just reading it wrong haha.

Bioengineer has the PMH problem in every slot, since PMH can only spawn on a weapon...so no jewellry, gloves, boots, or helms until you can craft them right?

Dazliare said:
I think I get it, and I'm interested, but one quick question:

Whatever class we pick, we can only use the items listed, plus the three hacked items, right? If so, won't it be quite difficult until crafting starts becoming an option? The bioengineer for example; PMH can't spawn on a helmet, and you can't craft a blood helm until you can cube a perfect ruby. You could theoretically farm the tower a hundred times for the runes and gems needed for a bunch of blood gear, but is that the intent? Or am I just reading it wrong haha.

Bioengineer has the PMH problem in every slot, since PMH can only spawn on a weapon...so no jewellry, gloves, boots, or helms until you can craft them right?
You are right that the BioEngineer will have a hard time with jewelry. However, the hack-gem is of any quality, so any Emerald will be usable to hack a socketable item.

Okay I'm just going to go for it, enough mulling over the different options. :p Presenting Vril, the Occult Pariah Bonemancer.

He won't be taking any chipped gems or a cube along for the ride, but he'll be off to his slow start tonight!

Code:
~ ALIVE ~
Vril            Occult Pariah/Necro  Pb_pal           1           1         1

~ DEAD/RETIRED ~

Dazliare said:
Angstrom the nano-mancer joins the fray. What are "Damage Prevention Items"?
Welcome Dazliare! Damage prevention is this mod:
Y3jjNE7.png
So any item with "Reduce damage by". I will update that section for clarity. Also guys dont forget that you can use any runes, and so runes/ runewords are a great source of specific mods that your character might have access to.

The gears are turning! I'm planning a FoH paladin with access to a few different auras depending on the situation, as well as holy shield. Scepters are good to go as well because of the innate %dmg to undead.

Another question - are oskills granted by a usable item fair game? My current scepter has +1 to holy fire. Can I use it?

Dazliare said:
Another question - are oskills granted by a usable item fair game? My current scepter has +1 to holy fire. Can I use it?
Sadly no, oskills and charges are fine to use only if they are listed for your class. (Corpse explosion charges for example are usable since CE is listed, even if you are a paladin. In fact, they even enable the use of the item they are on)

Take your time Pharphis and thanks for the interest.

So I guess I might as-well join myself now. I was thinking about various concepts (Daemon, CyberWitch, etc.) but its been forever since I played an Amazon and I REALLY feel like crafting some Blood items and being mean in general, so there we go: NeonJinx: Bounty Hunter (amazon). Time to see how much bleeding/leeching/crushing blow I can stack.

Code:
~ ALIVE ~
Angstrom        Nanomancer/Paladin   Dazliare         ?           ?         ?
NeonJinx        Bounty Hunter/Amazon Mezion           1           1         1

~ DEAD/RETIRED ~

Code:
~ ALIVE ~
NeonJinx        Bounty Hunter/Amazon Mezion           1           1         1
Butler          Titanian/Barbarian   Malevolent       1           1         1

~ DEAD/RETIRED ~

Cool looking tourny!
I'm in with a Titanian berserker, expect deeds.
It will be interesting to see if stacking safety crafts will have any noticeable effect with all the PDR/MDR.

What a start. I didn't expect this to be so interesting this fast.

So right away I set the game to /player8, kill some demons, socket a bow with an amethyst and I'm good to go. But oh boy...
  • Right as I entered the Cold Plains, I was greeted by these big guys and their Lightning enhanced chief. I had no damage at that point and it took a while to deal with this. (Notice the cave nicely in front of the waypoint)
  • Then when entering the Stony Field I was greeted AGAIN by a lightning enhanced, but archer this time. Not only that, Rakanishu was right next to her and came to help.
  • Guess what greeted me at the entrance of Dark Wood? Lightning enhanced! At least at that point me and the merc are stylishly dressed in purple. To boot, I found a bow with Amplify damage proc which helps a lot.
  • So Cain is safe home now and 2 set item have been found that I can't use. Pretty eventful start. I don't know what is up with all the lightning enhanced or map with everything next to each other but its fun.
Here's a few pics resuming the events so far.
2mApayL.jpg

Code:
~ ALIVE ~
NeonJinx        Bounty Hunter/Amazon Mezion           14          1         7
Butler          Titanian/Barbarian   Malevolent       1           1         1

~ DEAD/RETIRED ~

Malevolent said:
Clarification: what does Plate Armours/Mail/Clothing include? Is a belt clothing? I would consider a cap to be clothing.
Basically any Plate or mail piece of equipment that isn't Jewelery/Weapon/Shield.
So: Boots/Gloves/Belts/Head items/Armor.

edit: clothing was probably a poor choice of word, I will clarify that in the original post. Thanks.

Nice write up. I'll join. Going for a paladin / occult pariah. Hopefully I can craft enough blood items to offset sacrifice. Not going to mule anything in.
Code:
~ ALIVE ~
Velora          Titanian/Amazon       Vildecor        1           1         1
Vril            Occult Pariah/Necro   Pb_pal          1           1         1
Angstrom        Nanomancer/Paladin    Dazliare        ?           ?         ?
NeonJinx        Bounty Hunter/Amazon  Mezion          14          1         7
Butler          Titanian/Barbarian    Malevolent      1           1         1
Rashir          Occult Pariah/Paladin Sint            17          2        14

~ DEAD/RETIRED ~

I decided to give Rashir a go. After I created the guy I realised I couldn't use my starter kit until I socketed some stuff. I understood why the muling on part was in the rules. Oh well.. guess I'll just have to pop everything and go fistfighting on /p1 to keep things smooth. Luckily it didn't take too long to get my first skull drop so I bought a large axe and was good to go.

While playing through act 1 four things came to mind about Rashir.
1. It will be a long time before I find enough leech to use sacrifice somewhat reliantly. So I'm just going with regular attacks right now.
2. Thorns is pretty strong and fun, but only on /p1. Which means I will be severely underleveled as opposed to normal... which brings me to point #3..
3. Thorns requires you to get hit. Which is crap. Especially on an underleveled and ungeared character. I'm picking up every healing potion I can find and have used quite a few purples to save my life already. If this guy ever finishes normal I will be surprised.
4. Thorns doesn't work on ranged or elemental attacks. This sucks a lot. I can't think of a reason why I forgot this, but archers and the likes are already making my life hard. This point especially will be tough to overcome.

I decided to finish act 1 quick and not linger anywhere so I could get a prayer merc to take some of the heat for me. So far so good. Andariel wasn't too hard but I had to blow through a lot of my purples to kill her. No skulls in her drop and only a chipped ruby. So far I found 4 skulls to hack items. I hacked a weapon for myself first, then a bow for my act 1 merc, after that an armor for myself (in hindsight this might've been a mistake) and the fourth I got somewhere in act 2 which helped a lot to get a weapon for my act 2 merc.

I made some screens and actually found some uniques too. Can't use them ofcourse, but at least it's something.. I'll post the screens later.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High