[2015] Fortune and Glory: The Indy Jones Tournament [by japanzaman]

Glad to hear I'm not the only one still playing!

Willie has completed every quest except Larzuk's sockets and has finished Nightmare. I'll return to the socket quest once I find a suitable base to build Treachery for my Merc. Some thoughts on Nightmare:

• P7 was doable for most areas except bosses, which were all done on P1. By the end I had developed a powerful enough Charged Strike to deal with Poison immunes and undead enemies, and LF is also coming along as well.
  • Had a Stormrider drop from a chest in the halls of Pain, with some more runes throughout Act 5.
  • Almost got into serious trouble in 2 places: the first dungeon in Nihlathak's level and the cow level. which I did at P5. For the first one, I got hit with 2 Night Lord boss packs upon entering and had absolutely no room to manuever. Merc was toast in seconds and I had to make a blind run away from the stair case to lure the packs away. Very risky and could have cost me, but I managed to find an open space to TP and get back to town. As for cows, I got plopped right in the middle of the cow kings stable with about 70 or so cows staring right at me. If I had jumped back through the red portal, I probably never would have been able to reenter. So I ran and threw plague javelins, which over the course of about 3 minutes managed to clear out some space. Still, it was very tricky as I almost got outflanked on a couple of occasions- that extra run/walk really saved me there.
  • Treasure Haul up to now: 7 uniques, 4 sets, 62 runes
So now I enter hell at lvl 73 and it looks like P1 or P3 depending on the area. In tight areas with undead monsters, P1 is the only realistic option. I'll try the larger open areas on P3 for the time being. Here is the gear I'm taking with me into hell:

Weapon 1/2: +2 spear Maiden Javelin / replenishing magic javelin
Shield: Rhyme
Helm: Lore skull cap
Armor: Peace breastplate
gloves: +1 spear gauntlets
belt: rare plated belt with resists and life regen
boots: +30% run/walk magic boots
rings: res all regen magic ring / rare ring with fire/light res
amulet: prismatic amulet 17%
charms: lots of res charms and life charms

Looking ahead: I really need a suitable base to drop for treachery, as I got luck and scored a Lem in the Hellforge. Treachery doesn't have a def boost, so it's important to try and get at least a some kind of elite base or eth exceptional base. I've also got a 3 socket bone helm in the off chance an Ist drops, which would allow me to make Delirium (that would be awesome) for the merc. The whole point is to try to find ways to keep him alive, as my entire gameplan revolves around having that Insight boost. Right now, his gear is awful and he's going to get knocked around quite a bit in hell. I'm going to have to play extremely cautiously to keep him alive. I'm also holding on to most of my gold in order to revive him.

Code:
FORUM NAME      |   CLASS   | PROGRESS | LVL | QPOINT | TPOINT | TOTAL
----------------|-----------|----------|-----|--------|--------|------
japanzaman      |   Amazon  |   A1 H   | 73  |   82   |  109   | 264
Grisu           | Sorceress |   A1 N   | 20  |    5   |   10   | 35
Pb_pal          |   Druid   |   A4 N   | 32  |   18   |   39   | 89
Dazliare        | Assassin  |   A2 N   | 24  |    6   |    3   | 33
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still playing too!

Act 4 is going well, although killing has slowed down very slightly due to increased monster health. The Venom Lords are also a bit trying as we are rocking 3% FR. Progress is still good and quick, although Gerhalt has taken a bit more of a back seat role and lets the bear take the lead. He marks the first character where I've actually been HAPPY to see spawners. Their pups die from rabies well before Jabari can chill them, so it leaves ample corpses for the vine to eat, keeping my life nice and high.

Our old friend Izual took an age. I'm really rooting for an Amn to drop soon so that I can make a 'Strength' weapon for Gerhalt and get some CB going for these longer fights. Up through the RoF we went, killing Hephasto and collecting our forge drop:

O3Ds5iv.jpg

Awesome! That's about as good as we could have hoped for. The rune is meaningless, but that was an absolute steal of a gem drop (more on that later).

Up through the CS we went, just mowing our way through everything. The seals were standard fare, with the Vizier and De Seis falling easily, and the Infector requiring a trip back from the WP to kill safely.

Now before we hit that last seal, we had to do something about our resistances as we really didn't feel like taking on big D with 3% FR. So Gerhalt stole Jabari's Stormguild, and cubed himself a Garnet ring with the PRuby from the Hellforge, putting us at 47/31/75/4 for the D fight with a couple other tweaks. As soon as we hit the seal and spawned our big red friend, things went sideways. Jabari died instantly, as did our bear, and everything devolved into a horrific game of cat and mouse:

WkrCxgA.jpg

So we threw bears at Diablo and bit him when we could, and then we ran around trying not to get hosed until Rabies ran out. After about 1/3 of Diablo's life was gone, we had run out completely of mana pots, and were down to 1 last red pot and our rejuvs (as you can see above). This was not good, and meant we had to try and conserve our mana, so we couldnt be throwing bears around all willy-nilly. We decided to leave a TP open a few screens away and whenever we got low on mana or health (which was often), we would pop back, heal, and return from the WP. We eventually got D to stick around in a spot where his attacks couldn't hit us, and we would duck aroudn the corner to bit him every now and then. This tactic worked, as Diablo eventually fell. Now Gerhalt is waiting in Harrogath, wondering what he's going to do wihtout a single health or mana pot to his name. Oh well, a trouble for another time. :)

Other Treasure Point Finds:
- Leadcrow
- Ral
- Infernal Belt

--

Code:
Grisu           | Sorceress |   A1 N   | 20  |    5   |   10   | 35
Pb_pal          |   Druid   |   A5 N   | 35  |   21   |   49   | 105

Nice progress everyone!

It took me 4 different instances of DII to do all the false tombs in Act II, because I hadn't more than 30 minutes each time I started D2...in the end, I managed to move on to Act III though :)

The only S/U I found is Isenhart's Lightbrand. I found a bunch of runes though and my trophy points seem more than acceptable at this time *g* Found a 15% MF magical ring and gambled a 31% MF circlet with my first try on a circlet...so I'm packing 136% MF at the moment :D

Blizzard + Lightning is cool, and I opted for a Prayer merc to save potions. Although I'm drowning in potions ATM...I'll see how thing go in the next few Acts! Good luck everyone!

Code:
Grisu           | Sorceress |   A3 N   | 28  |   11   |   31   | 70
Pb_pal          |   Druid   |   A5 N   | 35  |   21   |   49   | 105

So Hell has begun and things have gotten real pretty fast. As expected, my merc can only handle a few seconds of action before I have to pull him back to keep him from getting killed, even at P1. I've played most areas at P3, except the Crypt and Mausoleum which were easily the most difficult areas for my javazon given both are crawling with lightning immune undead monsters. It didn't help that the game decided to spawn what seemed like 10 boss packs per level, which made grinding through it quite difficult and rather unrewarding.

Other areas have become more manageable, as I managed to find a ber-de-corbin base for my Insight, which has helped speed things up with the undead enemies. I also found a superior sharktooth armor, which I'll socket to create treachery as soon as I get into the cluster and can reset my map.

Stairtraps have been scary but manageable so far. Got crazy for a minute when I entered the dark wood and found myself confronted with two boss pack mobs of lancers, cursed, and fanaticized. Lots of poison and running! And cursing!

Anyway, that's it for now. Keep plugging guys!

Gerhalt has attained the rank of Destroyer!

I wish I had a better update, but my drive got corrupted and I lost all my screenshots and notes from his trek through Act 5. :( Luckily however, somehow the spreadsheet survived, so I have all his treasures accounted for.

It was an easy journey through the final Act. Rabies continued to grow in power, and the monsters kept dropping like flies.

At some point during the journey, Gerhalt finally found that Amn and made himself a "Strength" sword to use alongside his Steelclash (which he popped in the Frigid Highlands), which substantially upped his survivability. Jabari was also given a new present in the form of a 'Stealth' Armour, to give him a few extra frames of casting. The most notable gear upgrade, however, came when Gerhalt popped a Face of Horror from a stash in the Pit of Acheron. The flee is the big bonus here, and he spent the rest of the act pin-balling baddies into each other, which really made the spread of rabies effective. He liked it so much that he personalized it, leaving the only quest not completed from normal the Larzuk socket.

The ancients were a non-issue, as they stayed distracted by all my summons while Rabies whittled them down. The first 3 waves of baal's minions also provided little resistance, but waves 4 and 5 were a bit tougher. I had to separate them into packs of 1-2 to make them manageable.

Cows were an absolute joke, although they didn't provide us with anything noteworthy.

--

Code:
Pb_pal          |   Druid   |   A1 Nm  | 48  |   27   |   71   | 146

Looking for something to work on when I'm not feeling up to progressing in hell with my phoenix striker in the Lack of Information tournament, so...

Entering with Aquinas the Paladin. I started him last night. Everything was fine, one point in holy fire to kill everything. One point in prayer for the regen. After clearing the cold plains, I decided to close d2 to mule off nearly all of my accumulated potions and unidentified stuff, then run from the cold plains WP to clear the cave. No biggy, but I managed to attract like 15 rogues running behind me, so I couldn't really leave the cave without being surrounded by a ton of them. I could have killed them easily but that felt cheaty, so I figured I'd clear the cave and then use a precious town portal to leave. Also, by then I was lvl 8 but I forgot to get a merc before doing the cave. Well clearing the cave level 1 with just 4 red potions ended up being a giant trial. The issue was two archer bosspacks: coldcrow and some random archer pack that was also cold enchanted. I quickly drank all my potions on the first bosspack. So for coldcrow I had to try to take down a minion, then run for it to a dark corner somewhere, use prayer to regen, and come back.... did this over and over. Also, as I put the finishing hits on the other boss, I realized that there was a very good chance that her frost nova upon death was going to kill me, because my bulb was already pretty low. Rather than retreat and let her regen, though, I decided to go for it. I survived the frost nova with 9 HP remaining. PHEW.

Finally clear the rest of the cave, and my reward at the end was a nice big sparkly chest... and no keys to open it. Woohoo!

TP out of the cave, go clear the countess/mausoleum/crypt... thankfully got a key somewhere in there so I was able to run back to the cave and get that.

No runes, sets, or uniques yet. I'm not sure exactly what level I am now actually... will check later.

Also, I'd happily update the table if someone would explain how... I don't wanna mess it up.

@JudgeHolden - Welcome! What's your end-game build plan? Are you sticking with holy fire or going to try something else? Close call in the cave there, good job!

For the table, just quote the last message that has the most up-to-date table, and simply delete everything else from the post (including the [ QUOTE] [ /QUOTE] tags) except for the table (everything between the [ CODE] [ /CODE] tags). I'll add you in for now, and you can fill in all your point totals :)

Good luck!

Code:
JudgeHolden     |  Paladin  |   A1 N   |  X  |    X   |    X   | X  

I'll also add that using the Insert button and selecting the Code option is recommended over just cutting and pasting directly into the text box as it can screw up the character spacing, important for keeping the table legible. Copy the entire table contents with a simple Ctrl+c. Then select the Insert option above the text area (it's just to the left of the save button) and pick the code option. From there, paste the table into the code window then insert the the code. Now make your changes. Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

After returning briefly to nightmare to socket my sharktooth armor so I could make treachery, I now have some survive-ability with my merc. More than anything, it's nice to have curses disappear, as the guy is a curse magnet. The added venom and IAS is also helping with killing. I think it was wise to go ahead and make it now rather than hold out for something better. My experience has taught me never to take anything for granted once you reach hell.

I also managed to make a nifty little belt with the imbue quest.

belt.png

So now its on to Andariel, a fight that is usually quite difficult. For some reason I think she is tougher than the other bosses in Hell. I've got tons of juvies saved up, so I think I'll be able to handle her on p1 without too much concern.

Code:
japanzaman      |   Amazon  |   A1 H   | 78  |   99   |  115   | 292

Well, Willie has met her untimely fate, and unfortunately in an area that I easily could have, and perhaps should have avoided. I was pressing into the Stony Tomb, which was full of lightning immune undead and got pinned in a corner by a mob of lightning immune horrors with a boss pack of beetles, which were fanatacized on top of that. I quick exited to save the character, but alas Willie's journey is no more.

Act II was going to be challenging, even at P1, and it's possible I never would have made it anyway with poison being my only means of backup. It'll be fun to see how successful other approaches are to this challenge. Good luck everybody!
Code:
japanzaman      |   Amazon  |  RETIRED | 79  |  105   |  116   | 300

@japanzaman - Oh no! Sorry about the loss (even if it's in technicality alone). That's too bad, I thought for sure Willie was going to get Guradian. Are you going to continue playing her under the tournament conditions? If so, you should keep us updated here, even if it is only in spirit!

Well, that went quickly.

Things were going slowly, but surely for Jeramond. In the beginning, there was a lot of running around from gathering treasures to waypoints back to town, saving us from using up TP scrolls. In addition to Cold Crow, the Cave had another Cold Enchanted Rogue Archer pack. Ended up using most of my potions between these two. Taking them on without Thawing Potions hurts!

Managed to kill Blood Raven without too much incident and with plenty of spare health pots in the stash. I was very happy to start plundering the Crypt and Mausoleum--tons of treasures to be had. Jeramond was able to upgrade his weapon to a sapphire-socketed Spiked Club. Mahala, his fire-arrow rogue mercenary, was lucky enough to get a Jewel of Envy socketed in her Hunter's Bow.

Things went pretty smoothly from there. We were very happy to rescue Deckard Cain, who could identify the mounds of treasures we'd been stashing away. We heard slaying the Countess would reward us with a rune stone, but that pile of treasure on her floor didn't have any such stones.

Monsters became more difficult to defeat once we entered the Monastery. We made sure to grab every potion we could find, looking toward the times ahead. Before he had to fight Andariel, Jeramond had found 2 antidote potions and a very coveted 19% poison resist amulet. He was disappointed, however, that the many bookcases in the Barracks and Jails didn't contain any Tomes to put his TP scrolls in -- he only managed to find a couple of tomes of identify.

The fight with Andariel only cost 4 healing pots, the 2 antidotes beforehand, a mana potion, and one rogue mercenary who thought shooting a bow in melee range of the Maiden of Anguish was a good idea.

Upon reaching Lut Gholein, Jeramond took up the job of clearing out the sewers once Mahala had recovered from her wounds. The loot down there was atrocious. We found rats, spiders, unnameable goo, and a measly collection of healing pots. No antidote potion was found to deal with Radament the Returned. Trusting Mahala to snipe the few skeletons he'd encountered before reaching Radament, Jeramond charged in.

He quickly discovered that hiding behind a corner were another dozen skeletons who, combined with the few he had run past, soon had him completely surrounded. Jeramond frantically tried clearing a way out while casting his scroll of TP he'd brought with him. The portal appeared behind Radament and out of reach. He chugged his last healing potion and started using his only 3 rejuv potions, trying to clear a few more skeletons out of his way so he could reach the portal. It was not to be.

Jeramond's last thoughts were, "Now I'll never know what was in that shiny treasure chest across the room."

Jeramond the Fallen, level 21 Paladin -- slain by Radament and company

I'll admit that was sloppy play on my part at the end. I spent too much of my time in the sewers still trying to min/max my usage of potions and TP scrolls. I found Radament's area relatively early in Sewers level 3 and was down to 2 or 3 healing potions, no antidotes, no mana potions, and 3 rejuvs before I decided to charge in instead of pull some of his minions back out of sight.

Pb_pal said:
@japanzaman Are you going to continue playing her under the tournament conditions? If so, you should keep us updated here, even if it is only in spirit!
I think I'll give her a break for a while, and probably D2 in general. I'll be checking in on this tourney, of course, as it'll be interesting to see if somebody can beat my score.

Forgot to put my score n stuff in the table, so here ya go:

Code:
Vildecor        |  Paladin  |    RIP   | 21  |    6   |    0   | 27

Gerhalt has moved out into NM. Killing is still fairly good, but bosspacks are beginning to make fights longer and tougher for the group now. The Face of Horrow is still more than pulling its weight, letting Gerhalt bounce monsters around and back through groups to effectively spread his virus.

They moved up easily through the Den and the COld PLains without trouble. The Blood Raven fight was really annoying, with a ton of running around. This of course meant that Jabari and the bear would get distracted by zombies, but we switched to our Steel axe for the OW and eventually the poison and bleeding wore her down. Onwards we forged, killing Coldcrow and moving down to the Cave level 2.

Down there we found our first real test in the form of this zombie boss pack:

s8xfsK7.jpg

The tricky part here was that there was an Extra Strong Zombie boss pack mixed in there as well. The bear died probably 4 times in this fight, but eventually Rabies proved superior.

In the Dark Wood we found ourselves a Sol rune, which meant it was time for a 'Lore' helm for Jabari. Or rather, it WOULD be time for one, except that we haven't found a SINGLE 2-socket helm thus far. Jabari is still doing decent damage right now, but he'll be wanting that skill boost sooner rather than later, so hopefully one turns up!

Onwards we trudged, all the while things becoming tougher and killing speed dropping. We offed the Smith and headed into the jails. The intensity instantly got dialed up to about 100 when we ran into Pitspawn on level 2. He was insanely difficult. We managed to get his pack locked into one of those floating "jail cells", which I'm positive is the only reason we are still alive.

vzA6yYp.jpg

Keep in mind right now that Gerhalt's LR is only 21, so those lightning balls are absolutely deadly. Having them pinned in the jail cell let us slowly kill off the minions with rabies, and leave only Pitspawn himself there. This is where things got tricky. He could wipe out Gerhalt's entire health bulb in about 3 hits (and almost managed to a couple times!), so we didn't want to get anywhere near him. As you can see above, he was shooting into the pillar, so we were at least safe from harm and we figured maybe Jabari could take him out. Nope. Jabari did so little damage to him (he has 75% innate CR, not sure if him being CE boosts that at all) that he actually GAINED health while Jabari attacked him. Okay, change of plans.

Our tactic shifted to throwing a bear at him, and then running in, biting, and getting the heck out of there as fast as possible (it had to be FAST, as he melted the bear in about 3-4 hits). Here is a shot of that tactic in action. This was terrifying, but with very careful footwork it eventually led to Pitspawn's death. Definitely the hardest fight so far, and it used up most of our healers and mana pots, which is not encouraging for the Andy fight. This fight was of course followed up by a rather difficult archer boss pack which gave the group some serious difficulty as well.

Uv7OG2C.jpg

As in Normal, Gerhalt couldn't wait any longer to receive the treasure Charsi had promised him and imbued himself a new belt. Not great by any means, but better than what he had previously at least.

The Catacombs continued the trend of feeling very near the brink of death with this Lightning Hound boss pack, as well as this Ghoul Lord Boss, who each gave us a tough time. One good thing to come from the Cats was that we finally found a 2-soc helm and were able to make that Lore helm for Jabari (not that I noticed any appreciable difference in his killing).

We had saved up all the antidote potions we found throughout the act, so we were able to buff gerhalt and Jabari quite substantially for the Andy fight. The whole thing was quite hectic. Mostly running around, with lots of bears being cast and some risky bitng.

clV5U3U.jpg

Eventually, the Maiden of Anguish fell, and we were able to head to Lut Gholein, although we had to do it again with zero remaining healing and mana pots. Sigh, this seems like it may just be a recurring trend for Gerhalt, but that's okay, at least he's alive to complain about it. :)

For those wondering, here are his bookcase stats from the act (MUCH worse than his Normal difficulty ones!)

4 Bookcases found
- 3 Scroll of TP
- 1 Scroll of ID

Luckily, he got all the tomes he needed in Normal, but that's a pretty disappointing haul, for sure.

Treasure Point Finds:

- 4x Tal
- Sol

Code:
Pb_pal          |   Druid   |   A2 Nm  | 53  |   39   |   78   | 170