[2015] Fortune and Glory: The Indy Jones Tournament [by japanzaman]

I've been looking forward to this! The path of exile league has burned me out pretty good, though I'm still working on killing Atziri with my new build.

Putting that aside, I have a few ideas for characters. I've been playing a TON of the Witcher 3 recently, and would like to do a witcher themed build. Thinking maybe a sword wielding phoenix striker, with a point in mind blast for Aard, a point in blade shield for Quen, and a point in one of the traps (wake of inferno maybe) for Yrden. Fire Blast will suffice for bombs, and venom would be the equivalent to weapon oils. Sounds like fun already!

So I think tonight I'll start up Geralt, the Witcher. I MEAN, phoenix striker....

Dazliare said:
I think I know the answer to this, but "no shopping" means both no buying and no selling right? I can't sell a chest piece I get from a chest and use that gold to gamble, right?
Well, I hope it isn't that way or else I'd have to restart... I understan "shopping" as buying things from a vendor, not selling to them. It was like that in the Bountyhunter Tournament at least...

Dazliare said:
I think I know the answer to this, but "no shopping" means both no buying and no selling right? I can't sell a chest piece I get from a chest and use that gold to gamble, right?
No shopping means no buying, but yes you may sell legitimately found items for gold to gamble/repair.

OldSoldier said:
Are Hellforge drops usable?

Yes, hellforge is acceptable as it is not dropped by an enemy.

Willie has finished almost all of Normal except for Charsi, Larzuk, and the Cows, which I'll wait until I clear Nightmare before completing. As some of you may have guessed, I've chosen to go the Javazon route, primarily Plague Javelin. So far, there's been little resistance as my Javelin hits 6k and could easily get up to 10k with a few more +skills. It kills pretty well at P7 for most enemies, but I'll need to develop Charged strike/LF by the time I hit hell or things could get rough. I'll still use Plague as it hits hard and is mana friendly.

Drops have been decent, with a few more set items and a unique.

Code:
   FORUM NAME   |   CLASS   | PROGRESS | LVL | QPOINT | TPOINT | TOTAL
----------------|-----------|----------|-----|--------|--------|------
  japanzaman    |   Amazon  |   A1 Ni  | 47  |  29    |   45   | 121
  Grisu         | Sorceress |   A1 N   | 20  |   5    |  10    | 35
  Pb_pal        |   Druid   |   A2 N   | 20  |   6    |   0    | 26
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still in act 1, but I wanted to update the table, and provide a couple screenshots of nice rares. The claw dropped from a locked chest, and the gloves were gambled. I'm THRILLED with the gloves :)
Screenshot001.jpg
Screenshot002.jpg
The claw has made act 1 more or less trivial. Zero close calls. The only thing I have to be particularly careful about is potion use. A lot of my time is spent in corners hiding while Floria (love her name) picks them off 1 by 1.

Last thing I'll mention is that I've gotten really lucky so far with experience shrines. I'm in the jail about half way to 19, which is the highest level I've ever been here.

Code:
  japanzaman    |   Amazon  |   A1 Ni  | 47  |  29    |   45   | 121
  Grisu         | Sorceress |   A1 N   | 20  |   5    |  10    | 35
  Pb_pal        |   Druid   |   A2 N   | 20  |   6    |   0    | 26
  Dazliare      |  Assassin |   A1 N   | 18  |   4    |   0    | 22

@Grisu - Very cool to see the numbers on what poppables you found, thanks for that!

@japanzaman - Congrats on the Destroyer!

@Dazliare - Wow, those are some awesome gloves, nice gamble.

--
Act II has proved to be more fruitful for Gerhalt and company, with some solid equipment upgrades and some treasure points starting to roll in. One thing I've noticed is that TP scrolls and Keys are more common from poppables than I thought they would be. I am of course still hoarding them, so that one day I hopefully don't have to eat my words. :p

First things first, the group set out to obtain the cube. The lack of resistances (7/17/0/5) is starting to become noticeable, but there isn't much I can do about that right now without sacrificing what little MF Gerhalt has on his gear. On the flip side though, the confined areas such as the STony Tomb are wonderful for Rabies to spread through, so that's fun. We worked our way through the desert, taking our Creeping Feature quite easily (though he did a number on my summons).

We got the cube without issue, and promptly headed down into the Sewers. Level 3 surprised us a bit, as I've never had Radament this close to the stairs before. The quest icon popped up before we even left the first "room".

dbJny2m.jpg

After this, we made our way to the Maggot Lair. It was awesome. Rabies is strong enough to kill with 1 infection most of the time, and a second one easily takes out whatever is left behind. Gerhalt had a good time watching his poison spread down hallways, often clearing the whole thing with just one bite. We hit 24 and tried out Solar Creeper for a bit, but the mana regen wasn't enough to make an appreciable difference. Also, it's much ncie having Carrion Vine keep our life topped up to ease the potion consumption, so we'll stick with that for now. After killing the queen and clearing out the Maggot Lair, we decided to blow a bit of gold gambling, and netted ourselves some gloves of fortune (nice!), as well as these decent boots:

YOZ8QQg.jpg

Nothing compared to Daz's gamble, but still good enough for me right now. :)

Rabies continued to shine through the CVT, and Fangy's pack was an absolute joke. Snakes fall easily to poison, so Fangy's pack died with a single Rabies, and he took one additional bite. Up through the palace and Arcane Sanctuary we went, and before we knew it, it was time for the tombs!

Kaa's tomb ended up being first, but Amplisa made short work of him. The rest of the tombs were uneventful, as Gerhalt is set up well to clear them. Rabies has no trouble clearing rooms, and Dire Wolf/Carrion Vine are on corpse cleanup duties. The Ravens even help out a bit when they decide to blind the Unravellers. At some point during his tombs session, Gerhalt made himself a nice 'Steel' Axe. The big difference maker here is the +2 mpk, as it drastically helps keeping his blue bulb full enough to use Rabies consistently. He can also use it to help out against the beefier monsters too, so we're quite happy with it!

We remembered to lower the /p setting for the Act Boss fight this time around, so Duriel ended up being much more manageable than Andy was. There was still plenty of running around, biting, and dire wolf tossing, but Gerhalt never felt in any real danger. Duriel managed to kill Amplisa right at the end of the fight, but we got him! Gerhalt is now chilling at the docks, looking forward to watching the hordes of flayers fall to his bites.

Treasure Point Finds:
- 6x El Rune
- 2x Eld Rune
- 2x Tir Rune
- Cathan's Staff
- Umbral Disk

Code:
  japanzaman    |   Amazon  |   A1 Ni  | 47  |   29   |   45   | 121
  Grisu         | Sorceress |   A1 N   | 20  |    5   |   10   | 35
  Pb_pal        |   Druid   |   A3 N   | 28  |   12   |   18   | 58
----------------|-----------|----------|-----|--------|--------|--------
  Dazliare      |  Assassin |   A1 N   | 18  |    4   |   0    | 22

I think I know the answer, but I'd like to make sure just in case. I can't remember the ruling on this from the other thread.

Are we allowed to pick up the Jade Figurine and complete that quest? Are we allowed to use the potion Alkor gives us (it didn't drop from a monster itself, but its originator - the figurine- did)?

You are allowed to pick up and use treasures that are necessary to complete quests in the game. As you cannot complete the quest without picking up the figurine, you can pick it up. The reward is given to you, so you can use the life potion as well.

We just finished the maggot lair, and are sitting comfortably at 24. No screenshots this time, but I gambled a decent pair of boots, and a decent circlet with a great fire damage roll. Fists of fire is making everything melt pretty quickly. As before, still no close calls. We found 3 runes for treasure points as well.

Sadly, I found 3 uniques, all of which dropped from enemies :( Chrushflange, Skewer of Krintiz, and Bloodrise.

Code:
FORUM NAME      |   CLASS   | PROGRESS | LVL | QPOINT | TPOINT | TOTAL
  japanzaman    |   Amazon  |   A1 Ni  | 47  |   29   |   45   | 121
  Grisu         | Sorceress |   A1 N   | 20  |    5   |   10   | 35
  Pb_pal        |   Druid   |   A3 N   | 28  |   12   |   18   | 58
  Dazliare      |  Assassin |   A2 N   | 24  |    6   |   3    | 33

Finished Act I Nightmare with very few issues at P7. Some undead monsters take some time to kill due to high poison resistance, but I've got a few +skills now to get the poison over 7k and charged strike is starting to come along. I'm praying I get an Amn sometime soon to get Peace, as a few Shaels have finally popped up. I'm also hoping to see a 4 socket polearm to get Insight as well, which would allow me to really unleash the full power of this build. Either way, I'm prepared to play Poison as long as necessary.

I don't have my point sheet on me at the moment, but I'm sure I'm somewhere around 145. Will update later.

Finally got the extra Sol rune needed for Insight and was waiting for a base to drop when I decided to look back through my stash and noticed a poleaxe lying around. Checked the ilvl and it turned out to be 38, which falls between the 26-40 that puts a max of 4 sockets for a weapon. After chugging through the first half of Act II nightmare, I returned to Normal to socket my new best friend.

(pic of Insight missing)

Feels silly using a socket quest on such a low grade weapon, but this will effectively change the game for my character, who now has the freedom to use more powerful mana consuming attacks at will. I may respec to go more lightning at some point, but for now I'll just keep rolling with poison.

I also took the opportunity to finish off the cows as well, which means Normal is completely finished. Now I should be able to mow through most of nightmare rather easily.

Code:
japanzaman      |   Amazon  |   A2 Ni  | 56  |   44   |   56   | 156
Grisu           | Sorceress |   A1 N   | 20  |    5   |   10   | 35
Pb_pal          |   Druid   |   A3 N   | 28  |   12   |   18   | 58
Dazliare        | Assassin  |   A2 N   | 24  |    6   |    3   | 33

Finished Act III Nightmare with very few problems. I also got some considerable upgrades to my gear, after successfully gambling a +javelin skills glove, scoring a +amazon skill amulet, and making Rhyme and Peace runewords. Plague Javelin now hits for 11k and reaches 14k if I use my +2 maiden javelin, which I'm not using because I have a replenishing javelin I gambled in Act I of normal that does the trick just fine.

I also got lucky and scored 3 unique items in this act alone.

Code:
japanzaman      |   Amazon  |   A4 Ni  | 63  |   64   |   93   | 220
Pb_pal          |   Druid   |   A3 N   | 28  |   12   |   18   | 58

Upon reaching the docks, Amplisa was relieved of duty. She had been great, and Gerhalt had grown fond of her, but he had made up his mind when he started his quest that he would be accompanied by an Iron Wolf. He figured their knowledge of the jungles and tombs within would benefit greatly his quest for treasure. With that, Jabari the cold mage was hired.

Out into the jungles we went, and quite smoothly at that. Rabies is doing well against the lower health monsters, the only problem is that Jabari is shattering all of the corpses, so our vine is having trouble keeping our life bulb full. I debated switching Jabari out to either fire or lightning, but I can't sacrifice his crowd control, and will definitely need it later on. Oh well, I guess I can't really complain when the problem is that my merc is TOO effective. :p

We worked our way to Sszark, and with Jabari keeping his minions under control, he was killed without trouble. We finished up the Spider Forest, cleared the Great Marsh, and were on our way to collect the brain when we popped Stormguild right by the Gidbinn. Nice! It went right onto Jabari for now, but Gerhalt might have to steal it for the Diablo fight. I guess Ormus got the notice that we were already thinking about the fight with big D, as the ring he gave us was actually useful for once:

4FCyrnR.jpg

Onwards we cruised through the jungles, where even Stormtree fell without issues. I'm quite pleased with Jabari so far, he really helps to keep things under control which is nice since Druids are lacking in the CC department. The Kurast cities were cleared, and it was time to take on the temples.

Sarina's would be first. Before confronting her, we had to get rid of a nasty Might-enchanted Spider pack. Sarina herself wasn't too difficult, as we met her in a corridor/doorway, and Jabari kept her minions stuck in place.

uc1yunW.jpg

The rest of the temples were very straightforward, as was the Travincal and Council. Gerhalt and his crew are quite strong right now, so it's pretty much just bite, wait, loot chests, and move on. Before we knew it, the Durance was cleared and it was time to take on Mephy.

mH7sIJG.jpg

The bear died a couple times from the poison, but other than that there were no casualties, and no danger to Gerhalt. Eventually, Meph fell, and Gerhalt took the portal to the Pandamonium Fortress to hang out with Tyrael for a bit.

Other Treasure Point Finds:
- 4x Eth
- 2x Tir
-2x Tal
-4x Eld
-1x Ral
-1x El
-2x Nef

Code:
japanzaman      |   Amazon  |   A4 Ni  | 63  |   64   |   93   | 220
Pb_pal          |   Druid   |   A4 N   | 32  |   18   |   39   | 89

I haven't gone anywhere! Even if it takes me a year, I'll continue making slow progress with Geralt. I'm having a blast with this character, but real life is taking a priority at this point in life. Once the weather starts cooling off, I'll have a lot more free time to work on this one.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High