[2015] Barbarian Brothers Tournament [by Azimuthus]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts. :)

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by Azimuthus on Mar 21, 2015. The last post was made May 12, 2015.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

(Note: Picture of Conan is missing)

"Treasure hunting? Pfff... Treasure finding - yeeeees!" (c)

Prologue

– Gheed, my family is starving. Could you lend me some gold?

– Gold!? Bah! That was not what I meant when I said "Don't be shy"! Hey, you are a barbarian - go find some job. With your enourmous muscles that won't be too hard I guess.

– But.. what job?

– Hey I don't know. Go do some mining for Charsie, or maybe Akara needs a ploughman, whatever... but.. hm.. wait a second. Let me take a look. Hm... it seems you are fit for that job...

– What, what job?!

– Well... em.. there are some precious items which I need for my private collection. You said you need gold - well, yes, I can pay gold for it. Just bring me something really valuable.

– But where can I get these things?

– Where? Ha-ah-ah-ha... Do you see that Blood Moor outside? Well, there are many areas like that. Items are just there. Maybe you'll meet some nasty monsters, but don't worry! Here is an axe and a buckler for you. Take it, it is free! These two magic scrolls will be useful as well - with the first one you can find out if an item is what I really need. Second scroll will bring you back here to this camp. Better, of course, not to go alone. Maybe you have a partner or a friend to come with...

– Eeer... I have a brother, but he lives in Harrogath.

– Harrogath? How nice. In this case I would advise to go in that direction. Maybe you'll find something on your way there, but when you'll get your brother, you two could combine efforts and find something really valuable! Now go! What are you waiting for?

Tournament rules and details

This is a treasure hunting restricted softcore tournament (Latest patch version needed: 1.13). You can't start until you are registered and given a personal Treasure Table (details are below).
[Registration closed, however there soon will be the 2nd version of the tourney].

-= You can play only 1 class: Barbarian. You can have no merc until 5th act, where you need to recruit any barb merc you like (this will be your only merc for the whole game, you can't change him later).

-= When you are level 12, you must put all further skill points into "Find Item" skill (it must be 20 without +skill items/abilities). That means if it is possible to add +1 point into this skill, you must do so and you can't put points somewhere else until lvl 20 Find Item is reached. However, if you have a free skill point (for example, after Radament Quest) and "Find Item" skill is at its current maximum, you can put this extra point where you like.

-= This is Single Pass Untwinked tourney. Replaying areas twice is forbidden. If you started cleaning an area and quited a game, this particular area is considered "clean". No items can be taken from it anymore, however, you may still need to kill some mobs to finish it (for example, this may happen with Arcane Sanctuary). You can skip areas if you like.

-= This is softcore, so you may die. However, there is one restriction. You must recover your main corpse (with all main items) at all costs, otherwise your are disqualified. So, if you made restart and see your main corpse lying nearby - this is considered as disqualification. You can't press "Save & Exit" - but must use tp or wp or stairs to escape.

-= You can reset ancients if needed.

-= Respec (Akara) is forbidden.

-= You can't keep Charsie or other "rewarding quests". You must accomplish them before you move to the next act! You can't return to previous difficulties/acts to buy something from vendors. So if you need something, make sure you've got it (you can remake as many games as you like to get needed item from a particular vendor - but only while you are still here in this act).

-= You can make Cow Level once (on /p1) after finishing a difficulty.

-= You can use ATMA or tcp/ip to mule, and ladder runeword mod.

-= /players X option is forbidden. You can play only on standard /player 1 - on all difficulties.

-= You can finish at any time you like (post a message then). You can no longer continue if you have beaten Hell Baal (and cleaned Hell Cows) or failed to retrieve your body after death.

Special feature

Winner here is not one who accomplished Hell Difficulty, but one with the most Treasure Points. This is a unique special feature of this tournament. Every participant must lead a "Treasury Table" which automatically calculates your Treasure Points and assigns you a rank (rank is just for fun). To get a table, you must leave a post with your email (or - you can send it me via Private Messages). Once I get your email, I'll make a table and give you a personal link with permission to modify it. This will be easier if you already have google account, but that doesn't really matter, any email works, however with google account you'll probably have faster access to the table.

In the table (take a look at the sample) you have a Main page and several sub-pages (look at the bottom to select them). You should enter personal info on the Main page (lines marked with yellow font). Every time you find unique/set/runes, you must add it to the table. To do so, just find this item in the list, select red "zero" number and press "1". If you find 2nd one, put "2", etc. Same with runes. Notice, that set (green) items give less treasure points than uniques, however, you'll get some extra points for 2, 3 or more items of one set. The more one-set-items you find - the more extra points you'll get for this set as a bonus.

Please, do not modify other cells in lists, don't delete columns or lines or lists - or this will damage score calculation. Also don't touch item score numbers. However, if you want, you can change line/column width, if there is a problem seeing numbers. This won't affect formulas.

Advice: while playing keep a window with a table opened. Once you find a rune or set/unique, don't switch to the table immediately, but wait until you go to town. There, once you removed runes/uniqs from inventory (to stash, to mule, to vendors, or just to the ground), switch to Treasure Table to put on the list this/these item(s). Thus you'll avoid possible mess.

Notice: treasure points are somewhat tricky - it is not that they depend fully on their rarity. Generally, uniques are more valuable than sets. Stronger weapons/armors are generally more valuable than weaker ones (this depends on their base version, not special features). However, certain items (like SOJ for example) are so rare, that they have "upped" treasure points. You may consider some items too "over/under-priced" (and I can fix that in later file version), but do remember, that all participants have this same table with these points - in this sense all have equal possibilities to win. Of course, everything depends on personal honesty - there is no way one can prove he did / didn't find this or that uniq/rune. Just don't take this too seriously, have fun and have an empathetic joy when others manage to find something really valuable.

PARTICIPANTS TREASURE TABLES (clickable):

Azimuthus (Schnibble)
ThomasJohnsen (Fagin)
Epaminondas (Ionut)
SunsetVista (Silumgar)
Southpaw8668 (Hjul)
Gynli (Goldigar)
Imakeigloospat (Wario)

PARTICIPANTS PROGRESS TABLE:

Code:
Score  Rank           Forum Name     Char name   LVL  Act      Area
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12381  Capitalist     SunsetVista    Silumgar     84   --- FINISHED ---
10843  Heavyweight    Azimuthus      Schnibble    84   --- FINISHED ---
10717  Heavyweight    ThomasJohnsen  Fagin        84   --- FINISHED ---
830    Monger         Gynli          Goldigar     36   --- FINISHED ---
125    Huckster       Southpaw8668   Hjul         22   --- FINISHED ---
121    Huckster       Epaminondas    Ionut        21   --- FINISHED ---
0      Dawdler        Imakeigloospat Wario        7    --- FINISHED ---

This will be a tough tourney. I was with you until the esoteric "treasure points" spreadsheet with its mystery values. Perhaps if you published your scoring system beforehand in a notepad style format, similar to the Magic Find Olympics, people would be more persuaded to join?

EDIT: I just realized your big yellow link was clickable, and leads to a google docs with the entire scoring system. My bad.

- Gheed, look what I found. Is that what you need?
- Crude dagger? You.... well, listen up here. Have you found such tiny yellow gems?
- Emm.. seems like ye.
- Now put some into your sockets in armor and helm - this will help you to find things I really need.

- Gheed, but mobs have nothing.
- Listen up. Have you even tried to pick their pockets? No? I'd strongly recommend.

So it seems not so much people are eager to take the task - but anyway that is interesting for me, so I'm in. Started with The Barb named Schnibble and stopped at Outer Cloister. So far almost nothing - but.. not nothing at all. First, Countess dropped 2 tirs, and that is +8 points. Second, just as I got Find Item skill and used it on the first pack of mobs, Nagelring (18 mf) fell from their pockets! Incredible and very useful find, which gives us +30 points more.

I like the idea, and may join later.
You are welcome -)

Players 1 all the way means Find Item is more important than usual.

I made the rule because it will take too much time with /manypeople setup and untwinked barb. And even act 1 /p1 is somewhat dangerous, so there is still a challenge but with p1 - less routine and more dynamics.

Act 1 cleared. Andy dropped nothing, but in catacombs I found Axe of Fechmar. However, useless, 2h and with freeze (while we need corpses!). According to rules I had to use Imbue as well. Tried gloves - but got crap as usual. Gambed 2 pairs of good gloves though with almost double +20 reses (light/fire, cold/light) - very good.. but still, need gloves with MF, not just with bare reses.

Last edited:
I'd like to try this; probably with start this weekend or sooner if all things fall into place. It seems like a nice enough place to get back into game after a long break.

I have never played SP (seriously at least) though, so if anyone has a link to the tools you guys use, I'd appreciate it.
Also the only barbarian I have ever played was a BO-tool used as a slave on my 2nd machine in HC games (a sorceress/necromancer/paladin fan through and through). Thus I would really appreciate inputs on which build(s) might be suitable within the rule restrictions. Was thinking frenzy or whirlwind since they both seem easy for a beginner.
Hopefully I'll get some levels under my belt before Jiansonz begins (and finishes :D).

This should help you with getting to know the FAMs (Forum Accepted Modifications). I myself have become quite familiar with ATMA (and a touch of GoMule) so if you need help with those programs I'd be happy to help if you run into errors.

About builds, it's probably going to work like this:
1-11 Investing in prereqs, saving points for later prereqs depending on your kill skill.
12-31 Find Item
The skills from Rada/Izual will probably be your first investments into your kill skills, as the 1-11 skill points will most likely be consumed from prereqs/mastery.
So any build will fly (assuming that this my understanding follows the guidelines properly). I'd recommend Frenzy because I love zooming off into mobs, but WW, Frenzy, Conc and whatelse (shouter? :p) all fit the bill.

I'd like to try this; probably with start this weekend
You are welcome -) I'm offline for 2 days, but will be back in Saturday perhaps (or even Friday).

Thus I would really appreciate inputs on which build(s) might be suitable within the rule restrictions.

Personally I chose berserk skill as a major one - perhaps the easiest variant. WW is a bad skill for some reasons. Before ItemFind I put 1/1/1 point into sword/axe/mace (not more, because never know what kind of weapon u'll use later - maybe very good uniq mace?) and at least 1 point into leap (useful to escape). And some into howl - synergy to Berserk and useful too to frighten big packs.

Last edited:
Interdasting said:
This should help you with getting to know the FAMs (Forum Accepted Modifications). I myself have become quite familiar with ATMA (and a touch of GoMule) so if you need help with those programs I'd be happy to help if you run into errors.

About builds, it's probably going to work like this:
1-11 Investing in prereqs, saving points for later prereqs depending on your kill skill.
12-31 Find Item
The skills from Rada/Izual will probably be your first investments into your kill skills, as the 1-11 skill points will most likely be consumed from prereqs/mastery.
So any build will fly (assuming that this my understanding follows the guidelines properly). I'd recommend Frenzy because I love zooming off into mobs, but WW, Frenzy, Conc and whatelse (shouter? :p) all fit the bill.
Azimuthus said:
Personally I chose berserk skill as a major one - perhaps the easiest variant. WW is a bad skill for some reasons. Before ItemFind I put 1/1/1 point into sword/axe/mace (not more, because never know what kind of weapon u'll use later - maybe very good uniq mace?) and at least 1 point into leap (useful to escape). And some into howl - synergy to Berserk and useful too to frighten big packs.
Thank you both very much. I installed ATMA a long time ago for drop-probabilities; maybe the version I have can be used, if not I'll install a newer one. Besides that I'll probably need to install RWM and possibly GoMule.

I browsed a couple of build-guides in the Barbarian forum, but sadly quite a few of the links are broken; I found reasonable guides on Berserk, Concentrate, Frenzy and Singer, but nothing really in-depth on whirlwind. That dosen't matter too much though, since I'll probably go with the advice given and choose Frenzy or Berserk with some 1-point wonders. Is it feasible to avoid picking a weapon-mastery until about level 30-40ish? That would allow me to wait for a decent drop or some runes.

..regardless I think I'll opt for Fagin as the name of my looter and will pm Azimuthus right away.

Last edited:
If you're going the berserk and I'm assuming war cry route, I would recommend the highest damage output weapons of could get, which in untwinked play is typically mauls, which would fall under the mace class. If you are going this route, I would recommend putting point here sooner than later. Witht that being said there is always the opportunity to find a game changing item along the way.

ATMA IV should work with 1.10+, but I prefer ATMA V for the Save-All feature. The version doesn't matter as much as abiding by the rules of not cheating (dupes, hacks, et cetera).

I was able to 1-point a Mastery until late 20s/early 30s. By then you definitely have a weapon of choice. Just try to get AR mods on your weapons if you want to wait that long. That being said, you're probably going to choose mace or axe if you want Berserk or Frenzy, respectively. Good luck. :)

bladejj said:
If you're going the berserk and I'm assuming war cry route, I would recommend the highest damage output weapons of could get, which in untwinked play is typically mauls, which would fall under the mace class. If you are going this route, I would recommend putting point here sooner than later. Witht that being said there is always the opportunity to find a game changing item along the way.
Interdasting said:
ATMA IV should work with 1.10+, but I prefer ATMA V for the Save-All feature. The version doesn't matter as much as abiding by the rules of not cheating (dupes, hacks, et cetera).

I was able to 1-point a Mastery until late 20s/early 30s. By then you definitely have a weapon of choice. Just try to get AR mods on your weapons if you want to wait that long. That being said, you're probably going to choose mace or axe if you want Berserk or Frenzy, respectively. Good luck. :)
Ok that settles it for me. I'll try mace mastery with one point until after lvl 20 find item and go the Berserk route. Hopefully that will get me at least to Hell act I without planting too many monsters before I give up or die as specified in the rules.

I have been trying a few things in ATMA (installed latest version to be safe) and I can load a character; items and such. I will probably find out more along the way. I opted for RWM also but not the rune-coloring and no GoMule atm. If another allowed mod is needed to make the spreadsheet, I expect I will be notified by PM.

Thank you both for your inputs. As usual this place is filled with friendly and helpful players even if the game isn't played all that much anymore.

Last edited:
ThomasJohnsen said:
(...), but nothing really in-depth on whirlwind. (...)
Ready? 20-pt WW, 20-pt Mastery, 20-pt BO, your forced 20-pt Find Item, and 1-pt everywhere else. Hold RMB down, get leech, win! :p

(Not trying to be rude, just illustrating that WW is pretty easy. Also, it's hard to plan gear out in an untwinked, single-pass tournament, so ideally pick a weapon base, and work your stats toward it. Get resists where you can, life where you can, and try to squeeze in some PDR% if you can find it ('Treachery' works great with Fade) because you will be getting hit mid-whirl by anything in range. You can find speed breakpoints all over the place, and remember you cannot use a potion mid-whirl. Use short burst, triangular shapes to get maximum coverage and minimal whirl time. Try not to namelock a mob, because you will chase it down dancing until you run out of mana. WW is great!)

Last edited:
Well tbh I have already begun playing. I haven't gotten very far though, since I have not yet received an e-mail from Azimuthus and fear that I have to restart once I get the spreadsheet link.

WW does sound very interesting to me. And if I have to restart I may opt for that. Currently I have 1 point in mace-mastery and found a 2os +3 mace-mastery primal helmet. That seems very effective, though to be fair players 1, early act I isn't much of a benchmark.

I'm in. Although I already have another char, Ion, waiting in Random Tournament, I'll take this tournament on to reacquaint myself to D2 :). The char name will be Ionut. I'll send a PM with email for the table link.

I'm thinking throwing/warcrier barb, but need to study the specific build further.

Edit: Aargh! I just saw it requires 1.13. Is it possible to enter with 1.11? If not, I'm afraid I must postpone entrance as I'm not ready yet for the rune flood :).

Edit: Aargh! I just saw it requires 1.13. Is it possible to enter with 1.11? If not, I'm afraid I must postpone entrance as I'm not ready yet for the rune flood
Well, you can, but your treasure score will be probably less, yes, because of lower rune drop rate. So if you are in, please confirm.

Well tbh I have already begun playing. I haven't gotten very far though, since I have not yet received an e-mail from Azimuthus and fear that I have to restart once I get the spreadsheet link.

WW does sound very interesting to me. And if I have to restart I may opt for that. Currently I have 1 point in mace-mastery and found a 2os +3 mace-mastery primal helmet. That seems very effective, though to be fair players 1, early act I isn't much of a benchmark.

You may continue if so far you have not found any runes/uniq/sets. If you did, either you should remember well your findings to put in the table or you can restart.

Last edited:
I haven't had too much time to play and also feared I had to restart. But am currently in inner cloister; full clears, players 1.
Just a single gold-drop, but it's pretty sweet in combination with Find Item (or I hope it will be - hasn't netted anything yet; examining every corpse is too tedious and mana-intensive, so I stick to using it on Champions and bosses).

Screenshot001.jpg
Got Ral+Eld from the countess.

Screenshot003.jpg

The resulting sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1on_cglmzj_ctj5t4vqD3erl_0G8zMeJOvNejXWp8wQM

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High