[2014] The CtC Tournament for HC and SC players (untwinked, single pass) [by HC Gunther]

Hi everybody i'm lvl 29 star Kurast docks
I'm really tired to clean all areas -.-
My best item ._.
Code:
Havoc Wrap
Chain Mail
'Ral'
Defense: 75
Durability: 27 of 45
Required Strength: 48
Required Level: 19
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 24
Fingerprint: 0x104fb378
+16 to Life
Damage Reduced by 1
Fire Resist +46%
Lightning Resist +13%
12% Chance to cast Level 4 Charged Bolt when struck
Socketed (2: 1 used)

Code:
Name          Character    Class       HC? Diff.   Area               Level  M/R/S/U/C/RW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
grk           Shaetemmu    Necromancer SC  Normal  Pandemonium Fortress  32  6/2/0/0/0/0
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Kurast Docks          29  8/2/0/0/0/0
HC Gunther    Zounds       Paladin     SC  Normal  Outer Cloister        17  4/0/0/0/0/0
Kitteh        Olypuirs     Assassin    HC  Normal  Dark Wood             15  6/1/0/0/0/0
Grisu         Flashy       Barbarian   HC  Normal  Rogue Camp             1  0/0/0/0/0/0
Dazliare      Athena       Amazon      HC  Normal  Cold Plains            6  0/0/0/0/0/0
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RIP:
dfp           Chantix      Sorceress   HC  Normal  Rogue Camp            19  2/3/0/0/0/0

Zounds has reached the Lut Gholein
* I used my Charsi reward on a belt so that I will have 3 rows of potions again
* In the Jail Level 1, I socketed my tenth chipped Topaz, taking me to 111% MF
* I found a Hsaurs' Iron Stay in the Jail Level 1, my first set item. Not wearable of course
* When I hit clvl 19, I gambled a Long Battle Bow for the Rogue. One shot doesn't do as much damage as the Long Bow with 3 chipped Emeralds, but two probably do
* Andy dropped all blues and yellows, none with CtC's. In other words, crap
* My CtC's are:
--- Screaming Scepter of Sacrifice with +3 Holy Fire, +2 Might amd +1 Holy Bolt
--- Screaming Throwing Knife of Frost
--- Sash with CtC Charged Bolt
--- A ring with CtC Charged Bolt
--- Boots with CtC Frost Nova

Zounds the Smiter with Elly the Cold Rogue, Level 21, 5 Magic CtC, Lut Gholein

Code:
Name          Character    Class       HC? Diff.   Area               Level  M/R/S/U/C/RW
grk           Shaetemmu    Necromancer SC  Normal  Pandemonium Fortress  32  6/2/0/0/0/0
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Kurast Docks          29  8/2/0/0/0/0
HC Gunther    Zounds       Paladin     SC  Normal  Lut Gholein           21  5/0/0/0/0/0
Kitteh        Olypuirs     Assassin    HC  Normal  Dark Wood             15  6/1/0/0/0/0
Dazliare      Athena       Amazon      HC  Normal  Cold Plains            6  0/0/0/0/0/0
Grisu         Flashy       Barbarian   HC  Normal  Rogue Camp             1  0/0/0/0/0/0
RIP:
dfp           Chantix      Sorceress   HC  Normal  Rogue Camp            19  2/3/0/0/0/0

Code:
grk           Shaetemmu    Necromancer SC  NM      Cold Plains           48  5/1/0/0/0/0
HC Gunther    Zounds       Paladin     SC  Normal  Lut Gholein           21  5/0/0/0/0/0
RIP:

Baal's drop. Anya personalized Shaetemmu's shoes. After finishing the Secret Cow Level, I tried in vain to gamble for something useful (except the moderately good boots), power shop Anya or craft a decent piece of equipment. At the end of Normal difficulty I had a grand total of 1 (one) Perfect Saphire, and the craft was forgettable. Charsi decided to give me the most useless imbue for my demonhide sash, so it was decision time, before venturing on to NM difficulty. I've Larzuk'ed the Gull Dagger I found in the LK, and decided to opt for those rare boots, instead of some blue gloves with 29LR and 22MF (IIRC), which I've put back in my Atma stash. My belt is a CtC Nova and +15 CR, it will have to do for now, until I find or gather the money to gamble for something better.
I've had some better luck with runes in the fifth Act: 2 Sols and 3 Shaels aren't bad, considering my Normal hellforge drop was an El...

Maeko has a flee Razor Bow with base damage that doesn't do much in NM, but I won't bother about her, I'll try to get equipment for a NM Offensive Might Merc, to help with my skellies' damage. I found these boys in the Blood Moore, something I've rarely seen. Oh, one last thing: I've socketed my Gull with a +2 Dex, +30 FR Jewel I found, and although I lose on a +1 to Necromancer Skills CtC wand I used to equip, the change in the quality of drops (in the 20 minutes or so I was playing earlier) is spectacular.

Good luck everyone!

Dazliare said:
Maybe I'm missing something, but aren't we required to use CtC items if we have them? How are you using gull?
As I wrote earlier:
HC Gunther said:
Once a slot has a CtC item, it must always have a CtC item with some exceptions. The exceptions are:
* You and your hireling can always equip grey helm and armor socketed with Topazes (or nothing)
* You can always equip the ring you get from Akara and Ormus for completing a quest
* You can always equip an item modified by Charsi, Larzuk or Anya
GRK used Larkuk's quest on the Gull, so the Necromancer can equip it.

I'm considering joining and streaming all of the progress. I'd like to try something not impossible but also not too easy. I've tried golemancer and rabies in past tournaments (both died). Any thoughts or suggestions on what you'd like to see played? I recently lost a lvl 97 necro so maybe not one of those...

Hi everybody, I defeated baal (players 8)
Code:
grk           Shaetemmu    Necromancer SC  NM      Cold Plains           48  5/1/0/0/0/0
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  NM      Rogue camp            47  5/3/0/0/0/0
RIP:

baal_zpsde928da7.png

pharphis said:
I'm considering joining and streaming all of the progress. I'd like to try something not impossible but also not too easy. I've tried golemancer and rabies in past tournaments (both died). Any thoughts or suggestions on what you'd like to see played? I recently lost a lvl 97 necro so maybe not one of those...
Fendazon

jdkerr said:
It seems you left "Passion" off the approved runeword list.
Added

Code:
grk           Shaetemmu    Necromancer SC  NM      Jail level 1          51  5/2/0/0/0/0
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  NM      Rogue camp            47  5/3/0/0/0/0
RIP:

Just a small update: I caught a nasty virus last week, but still tried to have a go with Shaetemmu. Awful decision, he almost bought the farm on several occasions while trying to finish the Countess's tower, while I was busy sneezing, wiping my nose, and generally not seeing much on the screen except an almost empty life bulb. I was very happy to see the Countess dead, it didn't even mater that she gave me only a Nef for my troubles. I'm still decided to play p8 all throughout NM, so no switching to p1 when killing the Countess or (I dread the day) going through the Maggot's Lair. No RWM for me either, so my choice in RW will be very limited, that's why I'm looking for a suitable stick for the Offensive Merc I'll befriend when I reach Lut Gholein. I've found a decent one, with a bit of damage and 7%LL, with a socket I might consider filling with a Dol rune (for the CtC flee).
I've also found this, might consider keeping it for the potential +63 @ res, for Anya to personalize, Akara gave me a relatively decent ring (6 FR, 11 LR, replenish life +5) I'm wearing, this is my Ammy, and the last piece of jewelry Shaetemmu brags about. I'll try setting a date today with Andy, hope all goes well.

HC Gunther said:
GRK, your ring and ammy are very nice. How did you get them? Gambling or did you just find them?
Found them both, I stopped gambling after finishing Normal difficulty, I'm saving the money for after I do NM cows (if I get there, that is), when I'll know where my gear needs improving before going to Hell difficulty. By the way, from what I've read in other competitions here, it is OK to put gold in ATMA and note down the amount (for example, Shaetemmu has 2 million stashed away). If stashing money for later isn't all right, please let me know. Thanks.

Code:
grk           Shaetemmu    Necromancer SC  NM      Jail level 1          51  5/2/0/0/0/0
jdkerr        Acephal      Amazon      HC  NM      Rogue Camp            46  2/4/0/0/1/2
RIP:

Introducing Acephal the Bowazon. I figured strafe is the perfect CtC skill, so I am looking forward to producing some fireworks as I collect the right gear. Currently using the predictable Zephyr/Peace combination. Nothing of interest to report in the first difficulty, as usual. Imbued an ethereal Partizan for the mercenary and got a nice ring reward from ActIII (4% life steal, 25LR, 20CR, 9FR). We will see what fun Nightmare holds!

I'm also thinking a Strafer is the way to go for this tourney and I haven't played any sort of Amazon for a very long time.

Just a couple of questions:
  • Are charms, potions and scrolls allowed? (seems likely but just want to confirm)
  • How were you (HC Gunther) able to equip a Long Bow with 3 chipped emeralds? The rules state we can only equip white or blue items until we find a ctc item. Being able to equip a grey item will make a big difference. "When I hit clvl 19, I gambled a Long Battle Bow for the Rogue. One shot doesn't do as much damage as the Long Bow with 3 chipped Emeralds, but two probably do"
  • If I place a "Dol" rune into any socketed weapon it gains the "Hit causes monster to flee" mod. Does this mean that I can now use it as a ctc item?
  • Same for a Rainbow Facet?

cheers

Dezrok said:
Are charms, potions and scrolls allowed? (seems likely but just want to confirm)
No restrictions on those

Dezrok said:
How were you (HC Gunther) able to equip a Long Bow with 3 chipped emeralds? The rules state we can only equip white or blue items until we find a ctc item. Being able to equip a grey item will make a big difference. "When I hit clvl 19, I gambled a Long Battle Bow for the Rogue. One shot doesn't do as much damage as the Long Bow with 3 chipped Emeralds, but two probably do"
I guess I screwed up. Originally, it was going to be that you could equip anything until you found a CtC weapon and then someone suggested changing it to be white or blue and that is what I put, but I didn't change what I planned to have the rogue equip. I will change it to white, grey or blue. I think it should be as easy as possible to get through the early parts of the game.

Dezrok said:
If I place a "Dol" rune into any socketed weapon it gains the "Hit causes monster to flee" mod. Does this mean that I can now use it as a ctc item?
No. That would making gearing up too easy.

Dezrok said:
Same for a Rainbow Facet?
Again no.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High