[2014] The CtC Tournament for HC and SC players (untwinked, single pass) [by HC Gunther]

Wow looks really hard.
I start right now TheAnimal

Code:
Name          Character    Class       HC? Diff.   Area               Level  M/R/S/U/C/RW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HC Gunther    Zounds       Paladin     SC  Normal  Rogue Camp             1  0/0/0/0/0/0
deepfriedpizz Chantix      Sorceress   HC  Normal  Rogue Camp             1  0/0/0/0/0/0
Grisu         Flashy       Barbarian   HC  Normal  Rogue Camp             1  0/0/0/0/0/0
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Cold plains            1 0/0/0/0/0/0

Athena has joined the fray!

I've had some pretty excellent luck so far - 3 topazzes before den of evil! Corpsefire dropped a rare javelin, which will make the time between now and finding a bow pretty painless. I also found a sturdy buckler of blocking, which is always a welcome sight :)

I'm planning to run as a FA/Strafer, but we'll see as I get further along. This is the first time I've played a bowzon since 1.11, so it should be interesting to see what happens!

Code:
Name          Character    Class       HC? Diff.   Area               Level  M/R/S/U/C/RW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HC Gunther    Zounds       Paladin     SC  Normal  Rogue Camp             1  0/0/0/0/0/0
deepfriedpizz Chantix      Sorceress   HC  Normal  Rogue Camp             1  0/0/0/0/0/0
Grisu         Flashy       Barbarian   HC  Normal  Rogue Camp             1  0/0/0/0/0/0
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Cold plains            1  0/0/0/0/0/0
Dazliare      Athena       Amazon      HC  Normal  Cold Plains            6  0/0/0/0/0/0

Code:
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Cold plains            1  0/0/0/0/0/0
Dazliare      Athena       Amazon      HC  Normal  Cold Plains            6  0/0/0/0/0/0
Kitteh        Olypuirs     Assassin    HC  Normal  Cold Plains            12 5/0/0/0/0/0

I assumed that the last column was just for CtC items?
Gambled myself a CtC amplify damage claw. I'm still holding out for a pair of nice rares with CtC, but that will do for now!

Well TheAnimal windy druid reach lvl 12 i continue

Code:
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Stony field            12 4/1/0/0/0/0
Kitteh        Olypuirs     Assassin    HC  Normal  Cold Plains            12 5/0/0/0/0/0

Zounds is ready to go off to the Cold Plains
* Early in the Blood Moor, I found a Scepter with +3 Holy Fire, +1 Holy Bolt. Holy Fire owns the early game, so that find was awesome. I couldn't equip it until I hit clvl 6, but I dominated once I hit that
* I usually rarely identify stuff early on. Instead, I mule it all off and have Cain identify it later. I identify stuff only when the stash is overflowing. Each time I identified a weapon, I cringed a little bit
* When I hit clvl 12, I started gambling gloves and boots. I got a Boots of Charged Bolt for my first CtC. I also got a Gloves of Chance (14% MF). No more gambling gloves for a while!
* I finished my session after clearing the Cold Plains and associated areas (but not the Stony Field), I used GoMule to check if I had any CtC's. Only the boots
* I am torn - do I gamble boots with the hope of getting a rare with CtC and MF? Or do I save my money for when Akara has a CtC Scepter with good oskills?

Zounds the Smiter with Elly the Cold Rogue, Level 12, 1 Magic CtC, Cold Plains next

Kitteh said:
I assumed that the last column was just for CtC items?
Yes

Kitteh said:
Gambled myself a CtC amplify damage claw. I'm still holding out for a pair of nice rares with CtC, but that will do for now!
Sweet!

Code:
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Stony field           12 4/1/0/0/0/0
Kitteh        Olypuirs     Assassin    HC  Normal  Cold Plains           12 5/0/0/0/0/0
HC Gunther    Zounds       Paladin     SC  Normal  Rogue Camp            12  1/0/0/0/0/0
gorgeousroadkill Shaetemmu Necromancer ??  Normal  Outer Cloister         ?  ?/?/?/?/?/?

This is my first time playing an Enchantress, and I'm quickly realizing how gimped Enchant is. The added damage is pathetic! Character level 19, level 2 Enchant with 13 points in Warmth = 20-27 added fire damage (23.5 avg), and it lasts for less than three minutes. Meanwhile a Holy Fire Paladin at the same level can have a level 13 Holy Fire = 57-69 added fire damage (63 avg) and a 5-swing Zeal. Even at skill level 20 with maxed synergy and maxed Fire Mastery, it adds less than 600 avg damage. I guess that's what I get for relying on a skill that is only supposed to be used to support other party members...

Enough complaining, on to the progress. Chantix cleared the Blood Moor and Cold Plains by whacking things with a magic staff with 1-8 added lightning damage, which was surprisingly effective. Amplisa the Cold Rogue was added to the party after Blood Raven and was quickly equipped with a 3 socket short bow with two chipped emeralds and a Jewel of Envy. The strategy from that point on was generally spam Static Field and let Amplisa finish everything off.

The first CtC item was found in the Dark Wood, a Scimitar with Amplify Damage. Chantix's damage output went from pathetic to beyond pathetic at that point, as I didn't even have Enchant yet. I gambled some CtC boots and found a CtC armor for Amplisa (both Charged Bolt). We slowly made our way to the Countess, who was nice enough to drop an Eth, so as soon as I get an Ort I'll be making a Zephyr bow for myself. In the Jail I found a rare CtC sash (Charged Bolt again) and a rare Sacred Globe with Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25% and some decent added poison damage. I also have a rare short bow with CtC Amplify Damage that I keep on weapon switch so that Amplisa can keep using her poison bow.

The strategy at this point is basically Enchant Amplisa and let her do all the work while spamming Static Field against bigger groups. Progress is agonizingly slow and I secretly hope I die soon so I can try again as a non-gimped build.

On the plus side, I found The Hand of Broc in the Stony Field, which is a TC3 grailer for me, but not particularly useful for Chantix unless I plan on going melee-Enchantress with a Passion weapon later on.

Chantix the Enchantress and Amplisa the Cold Rogue, level 19, Inner Cloister, 2 magic CtC, 3 rare CtC

deepfriedpizza said:
The first CtC item was found in the Dark Wood, a Scimitar with Amplify Damage. Chantix's damage output went from pathetic to beyond pathetic at that point, as I didn't even have Enchant yet. I gambled some CtC boots and found a CtC armor for Amplisa (both Charged Bolt).
You can choose to wear grey armor socketed with Topazes instead of the CtC armor.
deepfriedpizza said:
I secretly hope I die soon so I can try again as a non-gimped build.
You can re-spec Chantix if your current build isn't working for you (and it really sounds like it isn't).

HC Gunther said:
You can re-spec Chantix if your current build isn't working for you (and it really sounds like it isn't).
I was planning on going Enchant/Orb with the extra skill points once I maxed out Enchant to deal with fire immunes but it looks like I might have to consider going Orb first and then getting Enchant later on (or maybe respec something else entirely until Enchant becomes somewhat viable).

Question: the Larzuk/Anya quest rewards count as somewhat of a free pass in terms of the CtC requirement, right? So I could theoretically make a Harmony bow, then personalize it via Anya and be allowed to use it?

Code:
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Stony field           12  4/1/0/0/0/0
Kitteh        Olypuirs     Assassin    HC  Normal  Dark Wood             15  6/1/0/0/0/0
HC Gunther    Zounds       Paladin     SC  Normal  Rogue Camp            12  1/0/0/0/0/0
gorgeousroadkill Shaetemmu Necromancer ??  Normal  Outer Cloister         ?  ?/?/?/?/?/?

Best find so far is a 10mf/CtC ring.

deepfriedpizza said:
Question: the Larzuk/Anya quest rewards count as somewhat of a free pass in terms of the CtC requirement, right? So I could theoretically make a Harmony bow, then personalize it via Anya and be allowed to use it?
They are somewhat of a free pass, but you are restricted to the listed CtC rune words. You can't make any other rune words.

I defeated Andariel. TheAnimal my windy druid is lvl 20 and i starting Lut Gholein. I have two set items because i don't find a CtC item for replace it

Code:
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Lut Gholein           20  5/3/2/0/0/0
Kitteh        Olypuirs     Assassin    HC  Normal  Dark Wood             15  6/1/0/0/0/0

Kitteh said:
Code:
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Stony field           12  4/1/0/0/0/0
gorgeousroadkill Shaetemmu Necromancer SC  Normal  Kurast Docks         28  6/3/0/0/0/0
I hope I haven't ruined the table. If someone cares to go through the trouble to restore it in case I have, it's much appreciated. You can also use "grk" for my name, it's shorter.

So, Shaetemmu is finally resting in the Kurast docks, after I decided to to go through the Palace, Arcane Sanctuary, and the tombs, the big bug included, in one go. At full clears players 8 it was very tiring, I almost gave up before Duriel's last tomb, I was exhausted (still am, just saved and exited a few minutes ago) and made some mistakes, but nothing too serious. The tombs were relatively easy to clear as I was using attract to clear the way for my 6 skellies and Gumby than amp damage and CE, once the first body hit the floor. The Maggot lair was a pain, though, with one NDE due to boredom of watching one nearly frozen skeleton hitting in slow mode a giant boss worm with a freezing attack, while the rest of the army and my rogue were blocked in one of those "S" shaped narrow passageways. I tried to hit the giant worm with my CtC flee wand when the worm decided to make a meal out of Shaetemmu. I barely escaped, with a sliver of blue (I was frozen) in the life bulb.

The drops have been laughably bad. Not only that, but the decent pieces of equipment I had were exchanged with CtC ones. The only lucky breaks are with the second shield, where I still can equip a Necro shield with some nice mods and two OS I've been saving in the stash for a while and a rare gambled 28MF, 12 life ammy with an awesome mod: +1 to summonig skills (druid only...), but I guess the moment I venture in the Spider's Forest I'll find a crappy shield with CtC charged Bolt or something, and an ammy of Frost Nova.

Shaetemmu and Maeko are still using the 3 chipped topazed gemmed mails from the first act, Maeko has my 2 chipped topazed cap, while Shaetemmu recently equipped a 2 topaz full helm. Topazes were very scarce, and I still (remember I do full clears) haven't seen a single Gem Shrine from the beginning of the game. Not one! For the MF ammy I gambled about 400k gold, which left me bankrupt after the maggot lair, now I've managed to gather some gold and will probably gamble for a decent belt.

Despite visiting Drognan very often he only recently decided to sell me a decent wand: CtC nova, +3 SM and 29 mana. Yes, it's been that bad. I still wear the rare ring with CtC I found in the first act, I have gambled boots and gloves with CtC and +29 and +30 FR respectively, I have a belt with CtC and nothing else, another wand on switch with +3 CE and chance to flee, a spike shield with CtC and +4 @ res, bought from Drognan. Maeko, my cold rogue, has a rare composite bow I've gambled with monster flee and +7 dex and some measly poison resistance on it.

I've decided to save Charsi's imbue for when I reach Harrogath and find a Demonhide Sash, provided my luck stays the same and I can't find anything decent. That's it from me, good luck to all of you, and may your drops be green and gold!

dhaos said:
Code:
dhaos         TheAnimal    Druid       HC  Normal  Lut Gholein           20  5/3/2/0/0/0
grk           Shaetemmu    Necromancer SC  Normal  Kurast Docks          28  6/3/0/0/0/0
Thank you, Kitteh. Hope I've got it right.

Last edited:
I died!

After my last update I was seriously considering respec'ing to something less useless than Enchant, but I figured, "Hey, Andariel has -50% resistance to fire, so I might as well make it that far before I give up, right?" Well, Bone Ash spawned in the middle of a pack of Mana Burn Tainted, and between being frozen + mana burned and being boxed in by a group of Fallen, Amplisa and I succumbed quickly.

I might make another character, but I haven't decided yet. I need to read up on the different CtC crafts/runewords to get a better idea of what gear might be available.

Code:
grk           Shaetemmu    Necromancer SC  Normal  Kurast Docks          28  6/3/0/0/0/0
dfp           Chantix      Sorceress   HC  Normal  Rogue Camp            19  2/3/0/0/0/0

I'm not sure how you guys want to indicate a dead character, but there you go.

Not quite. Sorry, I'm awful at describing things!

1. Copy and paste the table (including [code and [/code]) into notepad
2. Alter your information and straighten it all out
3. Copy and paste it into the thread reply
4. Good to go :)

Can anybody word it better?

That is 4 times in two days that I have typed pasta instead of paste...

deepfiredpizza - condolences on the death
dhaos - the numbers on the right are only for CtC's equipped. Having 2 non-CtC set items shouldn't be included in the numbers

Zounds has reached the Outer Cloister
* Akara gave him a Felicitous Ring (7% MF) for rescuing Cain, so I can't lose that MF
* In Tristram, Stoutnail dropped. I can't use it
* I am not finding any chipped Topazes or CtC items, but I am finding Town Portal scrolls left and right
* In the Underground Passage, I got my first CtC weapon - a Large Axe with CtC Amp Damage
* The Countess gave me a Tal. While in the Tower, I also got a CtC Sash and another CtC weapon - a Mace with Amp Damage
* Outside the tower, I started fighting with my new weapon and discovered that it sucked. Smite did more damage than it did. I kept getting surrounded and frequently had to run away
* I went back to town and did LOTS of shopping. I finally bought a Screaming Scepter of Sacrifice with +3 Holy Fire, +2 Might amd +1 Holy Bolt. I am going to use the Holy Fire Aura now switch to Might once Elly has some MF
* When I hit clvl 17, I gambled boots a lot in the hope that I would get a rare with CtC and MF. I went from boots with 10% CtC level 3 Charged Bolt to a rare boot with 10% CtC level 3 Charged Bolt and some useless mods to a boot with a 12% CtC level 4 Charged Bolt (feel the power!) to a boot with a 5% CtC level 3 Frost Nova. Charged Bolt does nothing, so the Frost Nova is a nice upgrade
* The Pit Level 2 was nasty for me with two boss archer packs as I entered. I ran back to level 1 to heal a couple of times and they killed Elly at one point
* In the Tamoe Highland, a chipped topaz dropped when I already had 5 socketed, so Elly took over all the killing duties. I am going to be using Smite from here until Andy
* My CtC's are:
--- Screaming Scepter of Sacrifice with +3 Holy Fire, +2 Might amd +1 Holy Bolt
--- Large Axe with CtC Amp Damage
--- Sash with CtC Charged Bolt
--- Boots with CtC Frost Nova

Code:
HC Gunther    Zounds       Paladin     SC  Normal  Outer Cloister        17  4/0/0/0/0/0
RIP:
dfp           Chantix      Sorceress   HC  Normal  Rogue Camp            19  2/3/0/0/0/0

Code:
grk           Shaetemmu    Necromancer SC  Normal  Pandemonium Fortress  32  6/2/0/0/0/0
HC Gunther    Zounds       Paladin     SC  Normal  Outer Cloister        17  4/0/0/0/0/0
RIP:
Shaetemmu continued his journey through Act Three, and he got lucky (for once) in the Lower Kurast. :jig:
This will probably be a prime candidate for personalization, if the kind of drops I've seen so far continue to annoy me. The Council were very easy, the Durance maps small and very friendly, with the Durance 2 WP right next to Meph's lair. Meph fell quickly and his drop was crap.

Shaetemmu's gear is basically the same, the only difference being a wand Ormus had sold me just before I went to Meph, with CtC Nova, and +1 to Summoning Skills, Blood Golem, Bone Spear and CE. I've gambled about 1.5 million gold at Alkor with absolutely nothing to show for. I think I'll save my money for Anya, she usually is kinder to me.

I really hope I didn't mess the table yet again. The very best of luck to you all!

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High