[2014] Heritage of Habacalva Tournament [by twilight]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Migration complete :)

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by twilight on Jul 8, 2014. The last post was made Sep 27, 2014.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

"The renowned Sorceress, Habacalva, once assaulted the elemental planes themselves wielding an enchanted mace. Her enemies soon came to fear the mention of the weapon as much as her name."

Following the steps of Habacalva this tourney is about Melee Enchantresses. You take the role of one, and this time charge the very gates of the Burning Hell instead of the elemental planes. Dare you? Will your name be feared as well?

General Rules:
1. Hardcore
2. Any Version, just list your version if not 1.13. Extra bragging rights if you use a patch from before Enchant gave AR-bonus.
3. MP is not allowed, Habacalva had no help either. And this is the Single Player forum.
4. Extended Stash is allowed
5. FAM is accepted. Extra bragging rights for no RWM and/or no extended stash.
6. Any player setting is allowed if you choose to do it
7. No saving and exit from death (unless you really have to)
8. Multipass
9. Mercenary allowed
10. Start time: Now. End time: 2 weeks after no updates. An update MUST contain reaching a new WP or reaching a new clvl.
11. If it was not evident: self-find
12. Scoring Guide once enough (5+) participants, a table will be made to update progress. Lowest guardian gets most bragging rights!
13. no respec, sry. Enchantress is not hard to lay out, and as it is 1.13-only feature it would not be fair.
14. Charged items are free to use.
15. Items which give you points you are not allowed to spend points into (all prerequesits are limited to 1 hard points) are allowed to use as much as you want until I notice it creates unbalance AFTER you reach level 18.
16. If you change your mind on any of the optional stuff (eg. you want to leave your no-rwm, want to patch up your character, or abandone rule +1) you are allowed. Naturally you can no longer re-pick the restrictions you passed.

rule +1: if you want, someone can roll you a dice on weapon-limitation, and you can be considered yourself i nan enchantress sub-class! (whatever the throw, you can always use Maces - not the weapon-class (contains hammers), or weapon sub-class (contains flails), but the item-type! - in memory of Habacalva).
Rule+1, 1) Also everyone is allowed to use any throwing-potions.
Rule+1 2) You are allowed to hold anything on your switch, as long as neither you nor your merc deals any damage. You are also not allowed to buff/debuff with these. Practically the only reason this rule exists is to allow you to MF-run on chests. Remember: rule +1 is entirely optional, and exists to make your life harder if you want.
#1 clubs and maces, 1-h hammers // Blood on Bludgeon
#2 morning stars and flails // Torn Wounds
#3 hammers // Hammerfall
#4 staves // Not for Dancing
#5 wands and orbs // Pressure Point
#6 scepters // Ragna-Rod

Full list of skills which are allowed:

Cold Tree:
Frozen Armor, Shiver Armor, Chilling Armor, Cold Mastery, Frost Nova

Fire Tree:
Warmth, Enchant, Fire Mastery, Blaze

Lightning Tree:
Telekinesis, Teleport, Energy Shield, Static Field
Lightning Storm is not allowed at the moment, but if someone would really like it, participants will make a poll about it.

Frost Nova and Blaze are allowed for expanding the possibilities, and not being famous for a working build, unlike Nova, AND they are still somewhat melee-skills. So feel free to try them out if you want.

You can use this dice-thrower.

Ladder List

Last edited:
I'm in. Not sure about the character name whatsoever, will create her when I get back home from the office. So if you'll have a table by that time just throw a placeholder stuff like lorem ipsum for me :)

About the rules.
Habakalva wielded a mace, right?
What about using blunt weapon only starting from Hell difficulty? (cause 'chantress is not an easy character to level - esp. self found - so one will naturally be happy to use anything that helps levelling from level 18 till the moment you decide to leave NM).

Also, it would be extra fun to throw a dice and let the Holy Korean Random decide what weapon type will be an end game for a participant. Like,

- clubs and maces, 1-h hammers // Blood on Bludgeon
- morning stars and flails // Torn Wounds
- hammers // Hammerfall
- staves // Not for Dancing
- wands and orbs // Pressure Point
- scepters // Ragna-Rod

Also, the respecs. Are they allowed, and if they are, what are the limitations? Like, "you can shift your build any way you want if it stays within a melee enchantress canvas".

Reactions: Grisu
Sry for being away, led a busy life.

So yes, you are allowed to use other skills, but not damage-skills.

Full list of skills which are allowed:

Cold Tree:
Frozen Armor, Shiver Armor, Chilling Armor, Cold Mastery, Frost Nova

Fire Tree:
Warmth, Enchant, Fire Mastery, Blaze

Lightning Tree:
Telekinesis, Teleport, Energy Shield

Frost Nova and Blaze are allowed for expanding the possibilities, and not being famous for a working build, unlike Nova, AND they are still somewhat melee-skills. So feel free to try them out if you want.

Thunder Storm is under question!

On weapon: Although Habacalva wore a Mace, you on the other hand don't have to. Any participant is allowed to use any weapon (s)he likes/manages to lay hands on. Enchantress is a hard to play character in herself. IF you play under 1.13, here is a nice tip thoug: the Steel runeword can bring you a LONG way, a melee enchantress can massacre her way through Act 2 better than any other character to be honest.

Uses under question:
charged items I think can be allowed to be used
items giving skills aside the ones you spend points into are under question. Even if they give non-sorceress skills.

More Rules:

rule 13: no respec, sry. Enchantress is not hard to lay out, and as it is 1.13-only feature it would not be fair.
rule +1: if you want, someone can roll you a dice on weapon-limitation, and you can be considered yourself i nan enchantress sub-class! (whatever the throw, you can always use Maces - not the weapon-class, but the item-type! - in memory of Habacalva)
#1 clubs and maces, 1-h hammers // Blood on Bludgeon
#2 morning stars and flails // Torn Wounds
#3 hammers // Hammerfall
#4 staves // Not for Dancing
#5 wands and orbs // Pressure Point
#6 scepters // Ragna-Rod

You can use this dice-thrower.

#naranjadita: I rolled you a 6.

--------------

My character:
ver: 1.07
name: Ekhidna
lvl: 6
last wp: Cold Plains

Code:
Name          Version  Level               Progress    RWM   subclass
Ekhidna         1.07     6               Cold Plains   -   -
Xiuhtecuhtli    ?        1                  -          ?   -
?               ?        1                  -          ?   Ragna-Rod

Oh cool! Hoped for the orbs spec but rods are fine too :3

What about the Static Field skill? It's kind of surprising to see it not being included in the yes-list.

Code:
Name          Version  Level               Progress       RWM   subclass
Ekhidna       1.07     6                     Cold Plains     -         -
Xiuhtecuhtli   1.13d   45                   sewers lvl 2    -         -
Naranjadita   1.13d   1                     A1 Start        yiss     Ragna-Rod

p.s. Can anyone edit the table for me? I failed to do this better than Edward buttocks-hands <_<

Zenigma said:
I looked up Habacalva on a Diablo wiki page, and it said that she used an enchanted sword.

Because they made up their theory based on which item actually in game would fit the story of Habacalva. That's why it is in the "speculation" section, and is actually told "* The Enchanted Blade: This is based strictly on personal opinion".

But the actual story of the infamous enchantress is in the D2 manual, and is directly quoted in the first post here, and is quoted on the wiki-page's "Sources" section.

As @naranjadita said it is a pity Blizzard don't give more attention to its sideways-NPCs. There are at least a handful of very strong heroes existing only by random mention in the manuals. They could have been great merchandises, sources of comicbook oneshots, online comics, or official short-stories.

CODE.jpg

This looks like a really cool tournament, and so though I'm not a good enough player to attempt it, I'll be watching/cheering from the sidelines.

twillight said:
Because they made up their theory based on which item actually in game would fit the story of Habacalva. That's why it is in the "speculation" section, and is actually told "* The Enchanted Blade: This is based strictly on personal opinion".

But the actual story of the infamous enchantress is in the D2 manual, and is directly quoted in the first post here, and is quoted on the wiki-page's "Sources" section.

As @naranjadita said it is a pity Blizzard don't give more attention to its sideways-NPCs. There are at least a handful of very strong heroes existing only by random mention in the manuals. They could have been great merchandises, sources of comicbook oneshots, online comics, or official short-stories.

Fascinating! Just out of curiosity (and I apologize this is slightly OT), is there any place that explains the stories behind the set items in Diablo 2? Some are pretty obvious (Tal Rasha's, Natalya's, Griswold's, etc.), but what about sets that don't make as much sense, e.g., Orphan's Call?

UPDATE

My character is called Habacalva. So I can remember what I'm supposed to be doing with her. I don't play a lot of HC and I play a lot less untwinked, so her chances aren't great. I'll initiate cowardice-mode and see how we go.

She's bopped her way through the first couple of areas with my usual "Aha, a sceptre - bop bop bop" plan. I'm only on /p5 (see above), but she's trundling along ok. No real major near-misses, so that's encouraging.

I've never really played a character with ES, so I'll be looking into that. My instinct is go maces, but I'll see what drops. As it's not compulsory, I'm not willing to give a definitive "this item type" just yet. I'm using RWM, but I may not use an extended stash. That will depend on what drops.

I've parked her at the Stony Field waypoint for a bit; I may play more tonight or just try and get some sleep and do it tomorrow. I haven't picked up a mercenary yet because I can't be dealing with Blood Raven right now.

Idea. Why don't we use the google document service for tracking our progress? Twilight could attach the link to the first post so that we won't have to scroll through a number of posts looking for the latest table version and stuff like that.

http://tinyurl.com/kk9scf2

Levelled to clvl 10! Works smooth so far. Found a rare scepter with some ED, fire damage, poison damage and ctc Amp. With poison potions and static field it works great!

Potions! I love potions! And I enjoy (maybe a bit too much) killing entire crowds of Fallens (ans everything else as well) with poisonous potions. Potions. POTIONS POTIONS POTIONS! HAIL POTIONS!

Edit: you know how "Raka Ni Shu" is translated from Sanskrit? "Level Twelve Fast", that's how.

I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines while all these tournaments take place.. so even though I am at a strong disadvantage (due to my computer being a turkey), I want to enroll in the HoHT :D

Need some clarification though... "rule +1: if you want, someone can roll you a dice on weapon-limitation, and you can be considered yourself i nan enchantress sub-class! (whatever the throw, you can always use Maces - not the weapon-class, but the item-type! - in memory of Habacalva)"

So this refers to Mace/Flanged/Reinforced?

I'm playing on 1.13d, no Ext. Stash atm (Subject to change) I'm pretty sure I have a grasp of the restrictions/rules...

Anyone want to roll for me? :3 (Added myself to the table, dunno how to turn that long-ass string of text into a tinyURL.. .____.)

-EDIT- Currently fisting Zeds on /p 8 until I get a roll. Never been so glad to find a +1 Max Dmg Amulet.. lmao

naranjadita said:
Thy, wasn't it you who made a fire/phys insight wielding ES enchantress a couple years ago though?

Um. I don't remember that, which isn't saying a great deal. Nor can I find one on my character list. Unless I made it in vanilla, HC or 1.07. I only have my FAM characters in my save folder at the moment. (Apart from this one HC tourney char.)

That's going to bug me until I found out who did it. I'll go check the Mat/Pat/Guardian list.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High