[2012] Diablo Character Vanity Challenge [by Liquid_Evil]

Liquid_Evil said:
Kitteh said:
I get the feeling I'll be the only untwinked player xD
As I have absolutely no kit. Actually, can I actually do this untwinked? No guarantee of item requirements etc :/
Then just do the best with what you have. No worries.

@ omg- Dota? I've heard of it, but have never partaken in a game. Also, I don't think your theme is quite as bad as you're making it out to be. Perhaps it's not as straightforward as some of the others, but I think there's a lot of room to work to make something super suh-weet. Pwn that theme.

@ Jason- Of the ones you posted, I have two of those dog head 'tars (among several others) just rarin' to go. Might use the hat one too if I can't find better. Thanks.

cheerupemokid10 said:
@omg: I pity da foo! *Mr. T style yo*

I'm not so sure about all the restrictions and how I'll work them in just yet... But we'll see. I've got some good ideas goin and am trying to think of something a little more creative than some of the obvious straightforward things I could go with. You better look out cause this animalistic/foxy beast is comin' your way. Now to decide about 1.09 or 1.13 with all those new Christmas items I got...

kestegs said:
Those dogs won't be visiting my avatar space. I can't imagine any judge being foolish enough to vote against me 😉

My build is at least 60% worked out already, it's gonna be epic, sorry you guys have to wait 3 weeks to see it, try to wait patiently.

NacRuno said:
I guess circus/carnival theme is not bad at all compared to others =).

I have a couple ideas but my item base is pretty limited, I am debating on going fully untwinked while I am at it. All the item restrictions seems to have untwinked alternatives anyways, so shouldn't be much of a problem.

Will need to brainstorm a bit more before I get started.

Paradigmshift said:
All 3 of the item restrictions are in play? Or is it just select one of the 3 to use as an item restriction? Just making sure I understand clearly. The mentioning of the RNG afterwards seems to suggest that we can select one of the 3. Maybe my understanding of the context of the message is just wrong.

Liquid_Evil said:
Paradigmshift said:
All 3 of the item restrictions are in play? Or is it just select one of the 3 to use as an item restriction? Just making sure I understand clearly. The mentioning of the RNG afterwards seems to suggest that we can select one of the 3. Maybe my understanding of the context of the message is just wrong.

Yes. All 3 of the item restrictions are in play and they are the same for everyone. I mentioned the RNG because I know that you people don't like to do much thinkin' and some might just be content to plug in some numbers to finalize stuff. For example, because your name has a "2" next to it, your character must use either a Lightning or Magic skill as a primary skill. So if you didn't care either way, you could just assign either of those a value (1 or 2) in a RNG and voila, you'd have your char's skill worked out. Whatever. It's not for everyone, I just linked to it to help the truly uninspired.

Drystan said:
I don't know. A lot of terms such as "Three Mandatory" and "multiple options."

This is how I read it.
1:

"*THREE* Mandatory Item Requirements
All players must abide by the exact same item requirements. However, there are multiple options for personalization.

1-PARTIAL SET: Your character must wear at least 2 same-set items to net a partial set bonus. However, your character must not wear a full set nor wear more than 4 items of the same set.
2-HELM: Your character must wear either Sigon's Visor -OR- Darksight Helm -OR- a normal/socketed/magic/rare/craft/runeword in either a Great Helm or a Basinet item type.
3-SOCKETING: Your character must have a Dol rune and/or a Rare jewel socketed somewhere in your gear. Weapons/Armor/Runewords all allowed."

They are no 'multiple' options for personalisation, if all "three" are "mandatory." I read this as all three must be done, since all chars have the 'exact' same restrictions.
The 'multiple options' would thus relate to:
Multiple sets to get the set-item bonus. We all can choose different sets, thus they may be different.
We can choose either Sigon's or Darksights or items with a the base-type of those two items. Personalisation becomes which we decide.
We can choose whether to use a Dol, a rare jewel, or both.

But, as they are "three mandatory item requirements," all three must be done.

I don't mind this, as it's fairly easy, especially twinked.

But the next one I truly dislike. Limiting people's 'skill' damages. Surely, while still terribly, you must mean overall damage output, as opposed to skill. I am stuck with Lightning or Magic. That limits me to Berserk, Vengeance or Lightning. No Oath, no Infinity, no Fortitude, no Obedience.
Being Horror, I can't just pick an Oath 'Zerker Axe barb, and call him Bunyan, the Giant Axe Murderer. I have to find some way to incorporate Magic or Lightning as my main killers. Yet one person in this field can.
While I agree to add diversity, it, IMO, gives a huge deal more variety to someone primarily using Physical damage.

In addition, the Druid has NO Lightning or Magic based skills (unless one of the tornados aren't physical/cold, but I don't think so.) So surely you mean overall damage output, as opposed to skills, as a weapon with Lightning/Magic damage, Azurewrath etc, should be allowed.

HanShotFirst said:
kestegs said:
This is going to be easy, anyone from my group want to just throw in the towel now?
:unimpressed:

Jason Maher said:
I provide these suggestions for HanShotFirst, kstuart, and most especially kestegs, who shall redfine the word "fail" with his pitiful effort:
:sleep2:

I can only hope your characters are better than your trash talking . . . but I'm not holding my breath :smug: .

Drystan said:
I'm looking up horror characters on YouTube, and every time the pic changes, I'm expecting it to be a shock movie, and the volumous "SCREAM" to blast my ears. I'm watching on mute, knowing I'll eventually find one, but I'll probably still jump at the shock image that appears.

Liquid_Evil said:
Drystan said:
But, as they are "three mandatory item requirements," all three must be done.
This is true. What I mean when I say "multiple options" is that you have the choice of which set bonus you want to capitalize on, which of the helms you would like to wear, and whether or not you use a Dol rune or a rare jewel, etc.

I am stuck with Lightning or Magic. That limits me to Berserk, Vengeance or Lightning. No Oath, no Infinity, no Fortitude, no Obedience.
I don't understand. You definitely could use Oath, Infinity, Fortitude, and/or Obedience on your character. Your items don't have much bearing on the skills that you use.

Being Horror, I can't just pick an Oath 'Zerker Axe barb, and call him Bunyan, the Giant Axe Murderer
Sure you could. Berserk is magic damage.

Your assigned skills actually only prevent you from using a Druid. However, you do have these skills at your disposal: Magic Arrow, Lightning Bolt, Charged Strike, Lightning Strike, Lightning Fury, Shock Web, Charged Bolt Sentry, Death Sentry, Psychic Hammer, Claws of Thunder, Phoenix Strike, Teeth, Bone Spear, Bone Spirit, (Potentially Revive), Berserk, Fist of Heavens, Vengeance, Blessed Hammer, Holy Bolt, Holy Shock, and the entire Sorceress Lightning tree.

You could use any *one* of those and then just hybridize with something more to your liking. If you are a physical-loving guy, then pair one of the above with a fun physical damage skill. There are tons of options. If you *truly* loathe all options or must go with a Druid, then you can use an Azurewrath or similar items and just take your chances with the judges. Try to have fun with it.

Drystan said:
Those runewords boost Physical damage. Maybe I'm not sure how Berserk works, but ...
Berserk converts final physical damage to magic AFTER all the other bonus' have been applied, doesn't it. Whoops!

Maybe I'm looking for something more obscure, in a genre I really don't know that well. I'm probably delving too deeply. I've got a week away with work, where I'll have enough time to sit down, and write a few options out and try to co-ordinate some things/skill/item combinations.

As an example, I looked at the Grim Reaper, wielding... The Grim Reaper. On a melee Necromancer. Very unoriginal, and obvious, but as I said, an example. Necro Magic/Lightning = Bone Spear/Spirit. But then he wouldn't be using The Grim Reaper, as it has no Lightning or Magic damage either, and I'd look for a weapon with Magic/Lightning damage. But that would kill the theme.

There's been a couple less obvious and more original ideas with the same conclusion, but I think that one most clearly demonstrates my dilemna.

Thanks.

Liquid_Evil said:
Drystan said:
Those runewords boost Physical damage.
So? These characters don't need to be completely optimal. If you want to wear a Fortitude on a caster, it's totally fine. We are going for style, so whatever fits *your* interpretation of the theme the best is going to net you the most points. And just because you have to utilize a magic or lightning skill, it does not exclude your character from using physical/fire/cold/whatever skills.

As an example, I looked at the Grim Reaper, wielding... The Grim Reaper. On a melee Necromancer. Very unoriginal, and obvious, but as I said, an example. Necro Magic/Lightning = Bone Spear/Spirit. But then he wouldn't be using The Grim Reaper, as it has no Lightning or Magic damage either, and I'd look for a weapon with Magic/Lightning damage. But that would kill the theme.
You are over-thinking this. You don't need to use both skills. If you want a melee necro, then build a melee necro. Just make sure you use some magic damage skill ~half of the time (because the necro has no lightning skills to choose from, you are stuck with the magic requirement). You also don't need to work lightning or magic damage into your items. This is purely a skill restriction. Pick a fun lightning OR magic SKILL and then you are free to hybridize with whatever else you want. (Or go pure, whatever.)

There's been a couple less obvious and more original ideas with the same conclusion, but I think that one most clearly demonstrates my dilemna.
I have the utmost faith in you, Drystan.

Krupa said:
i´ve chosen a name and most of the equipment...missing two bits, but looking to buy them.
gotta look into which build would actually fair well with those choices. ah well got 8 hours of work tomorrow to think about it

edit: does avenge count as a cold based skill?

Ralguleld said:
Liquid_Evil said:
-If your name has a "1" next to it, your character must use either a Fire or Physical skill as a primary skill. You can supplement or hybridize with whatever else you would like.
-If your name has a "2" next to it, your character must use either a Lightning or Magic skill as a primary skill. You can supplement or hybridize with whatever else you would like.
-If your name has a "3" next to it, your character must use either a Poison or Cold skill as a primary skill. You can supplement or hybridize with whatever else you would like.
-If your name has a "4" next to it, your character must use either a Physical or Summoning skill as a primary skill. You can supplement or hybridize with whatever else you would like.

I don't understand this. I thought those skill restrictions would have been chosen by you or other more or less evil power *wink*. In other words, I expected to see the number next to my name, but there is no number. Should that mean that I could pick what I want?

Drystan said:
I thought Forti/Oath wouldn't work with Berserk, because I forgot that Berserk converted the damage to Magic last. Thus, I thought there would be no benefit while wearing Oath/Forti, unless I broke the theme and went Physical (ie, not Berserk.) I'm completely wrong there. I don't even know how I came up with that!

Yeah, I understand that's how the mandatory magic/lightning skill works. I just don't like it, as if I built the necro above, I (my own restrictions,) would force him to melee to keep with his character, as opposed to using the Bone Spirit/Spear, even though it's the whole look that should stand out more - the Scythe wielding Necro with bones around him.
I'm a bit finicky that way.

Things are fairly worked out, so there's no need to follow it up. Remember, I'm thinking inside the chimney as well! It's just the plans I've considered (based on my own limits etc) haven't suited to these restrictions well. I've got another idea that may suit really well, but just a matter of sitting down, and planning him at work tomorrow.
I'm going to be looking forward to the end of the week, after planning and thinking about it. I don't think work will be terribly mind-consuming this week. :)

Thanks, and I'll be sure not to disappoint. Should be easy once I'm actually able to get started.

Edit @ RalGulEld: You are number 4. Under your group (Group A), it lists names as 1. 2. 3. and 4. Ralguleld. That means your skills are Physical (lucky IMO,) and/or Summonings.

Liquid_Evil said:
Ralguleld said:
I don't understand this. I thought those skill restrictions would have been chosen by you or other more or less evil power *wink*. In other words, I expected to see the number next to my name, but there is no number. Should that mean that I could pick what I want?

:S Trolling I hope? You are #4 a bit further down from the material you quoted. Hopefully this clears it all up:
GROUP A Theme: Circus/Carnival
1) NacRuno
2) Paradigmshift
3) coju
4) Ralguleld

-If your name has a “4” next to it, your character must use either a Physical or Summoning skill as a primary skill. You can supplement or hybridize with whatever else you would like.

Ralguleld said:
Eh, well, I see :doh:

Perhaps I am blind (just came to work and checked SPF), or maybe I could try to apologize with the fact that my native language logic expects "next to" behind the name (e.g. RalGulEld 4). Hopefully my silly question does not count to the style yet. :girly:

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High