[2012] Diablo Character Vanity Challenge [by Liquid_Evil]

Drystan said:
Haha - love your Vanity Challenge character. Teeth? And the puns... Sort-of-punlike-puns? I like your item choices. I didn't think Teeth would be all that good, especially verse bosses. Were you tempted to go into Bone Spear at all?
Grats on your Gul!

Liquid_Evil said:
Less than 2 hours to go and only a tentative 8/20 submissions. (And that's just 2/5 if we reduce to the lowest common denominator!) Either you guys like to ride the razor's edge or some of you slobs have signed your own request for an avatar change.

Get 'em in by midnight.

HanShotFirst said:
Greetings worthy foes, interested readers, and amazingly amazing and awesome judges!

I was charged with the task of creating a character centered around Gods and Mythology that was to use Fire or Physical skill as a primary skill. I opted to create a character that used both Fire and Physical (as I thought it made for a stronger theme :nod: ).

I opted to approach my character selection/creation by first finding an appropriate god or mythological being and then selecting the character class, skills, equipment etc. (as opposed to selecting the equipment, skills, character class and then doing some fancy talking to justify my selection :whistling: ). Being apparently somewhat ignorant of mythology I thought it would extremely easy to find some destructive brute of a fire god that would translate well into a Diablo II character . . . it was not. As I soon learned there are two types of fire gods: the benevolent (and most common) type that brings fire to our hearths and homes, and the malevolent (and much rarer) type that sets fire to our hearts and homes. I read up on my Greek and Roman gods (and found them far to benevolent). Next I read up on my Central and South American gods and found more benevolence :scratchhead: (really surprising me considering how violent some of those cultures were purported to be :confused11: ). Next I read up on the gods of the North American natives and the Pacific Islanders and found nothing adaptable! The gods of South and East Asia had the resume but weren’t very D2 adaptable (my favorite apparently always rides a tiger, and the runner up has two heads :doh: ). I was contemplating how I might create a two-headed character when suddenly I remembered I had totally forgotten Norse mythology :dontknow: ! In about the time it takes to say “Fool of a Took!” and “Stupid fat Hobbit!” I’d found my man, er um, god, giant, . . . thing 👍 .

Meet Surtr (link to artist’s rendering).

For those of you who don’t know (I didn’t), Surtr is a giant in Norse mythology that comes from the fire realm of Muspell (a harsh and waterless realm composed of fire and rock – said to be impassible to those who are non-natives). Surtr is said to wield a bright and flaming sword that he uses at Ragnarok (which I interpret to be synonymous with the end times) to defeat (er, kill) Freyr (god of farming and weather who brings peace to mortals). After defeating Freyr, Surtr is said to set the whole world ablaze in his fire. Cool :evil: . Beyond that not much is said, except that he is said to have a female companion named Sinmara. Finally, now that’s something I can use.

Based on the physical description of Surtr I decided that the female character classes, and the pale and fragile looking Necromancers and Druids were not an option. Creating a Barbarian was tempting (mostly due to the class’s physical stature) but the combat skills didn’t really seem to fit the theme. Surtr uses a sword, a big flaming sword (so, a two-hander) so, the only physically damaging combat skills that a Barbarian could really use would be Bash (too slow), Stun (too slow), Concentrate (pretty slow), or Whirlwind (not a bad idea except it prohibits chance to cast on striking . . . boring). Paladins on the other hand, are lesser in stature but better in complexion (did I mention Surtr means “black” in Old Norse) and much better in fast, physically damaging, chance to cast on striking capable, combat skills.

So, now that you know probably way more than you wanted to know about how I make decisions, allow me to introduce:

Patriarch Surtr
The Concentrating and Zealous Charger with his Faithful female companion

Stats:
LCS Screenshot

Strength: 198
Dexterity: 87
Vitality: 263
Energy: 15

Life: 1190, 1989 w/CTA BO
Mana: 138, 232 w/CTA BO

Defense: 1211
Attack Rating: 7099, 8931 w/Lava Gout Enchant
Faster Run Walk: 20
Faster Hit Recovery: 17 (7 frames)
Increased Attack Speed: 40, 73 w/Faith Aura (5 frames)
Magic Find: 25
Gold Find: 62

Resists in Hell:
Fire: 85 +29% Fire Absorb
Cold: 75
Lightning: 75
Poison: 75

Skills:
I decided to use Zeal because it is a very fast offensive physically damaging skill that would enable maximum triggering of chance to cast on striking effects (see equipment). Concentration was used because Surtr’s ‘faithful female companion’ was already providing Fanaticism. Sacrifice was maxed for the synergy but not used. Charge was used as a one point wonder through NM and then maxed in Hell (and boy was it fun . . . makes me wonder why I’d never really used it before :scratchhead: ). Twelve skill points weren’t used, but if they were to be used, they would go into a Charge synergy.

Smite: 1/3
Sacrifice: 20/22
Zeal: 20/22
Charge: 20/22
Might: 1/3
Blessed Aim: 1/3
Concentration: 20/22

Equipment:
Weapon:
Flamebellow, because . . . well it’s obvious isn’t it?! Flamebellow is a big flaming sword (in more ways than one)! It adds fire damage (relatively a lot of fire damage) and it’s bright red (as close to flaming as a D2 sword can be). It lets Surtr breath fire. Also, it has Fire Absorb (and a fire giant should not be vulnerable to fire)! Perhaps most important, it has a 12% Chance to cast Level 16 Firestorm on striking. Add a Shael Rune and Surtr hits the final breakpoint for Zeal and the Level 16 Firestorm triggers a lot and adds a ton of fire effects to the screen. In short, it was the only weapon I could possibly consider. Ooh! Ooh! Wait! Did I mention that some people speculate that Surtr could have been the inspiration for Tolkien’s Balrog . . . and Flamebellow is in a ‘Balrog Blade’ . . . too cool!

Flamebellow
Balrog Blade
'Shael'
One-Hand Damage: 49 to 248
Two-Hand Damage: 182 to 390
Durability: 50 of 50
Required Dexterity: 87
Required Strength: 185
Required Level: 71
Sword Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 87
Fingerprint: 0x944b3fb
+13 to Strength
+5 to Vitality
+231% Enhanced Damage
Adds 233-482 fire damage
20% Increased Attack Speed
+15 to Inferno
+3 to Fire Skills
29% Fire Absorb
12% Chance to cast Level 16 Firestorm on striking
Socketed (1: 1 used)

Helm:
Jeweler's Great Helm of the Mammoth, because it added horns (Surtr is often depicted with horns), and made Surtr’s head appear red (as though it was smouldering)! Also, it adds life, and giants should have a lot of life. Giants should also have tough skin (hence the Sols).

Jeweler's Great Helm of the Mammoth
'SolSolSol'
Defense: 31
Durability: 40 of 40
Required Strength: 63
Required Level: 60
Item Level: 96
Fingerprint: 0xc2a6dc08
+33 to Life
Damage Reduced by 21
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Armor:
Chains of Honor Wire Fleece, because it was the least cheesy way to use a Dol and met all of Surtr’s needs. (I considered using Fortitude for much the same reasons but Fortitude casts Chilling Armor and Surtr hails from a realm without of water, much less frozen water, so that made no sense whatsoever and would have ruined the theme).

Chains of Honor
Wire Fleece
'DolUmBerIst'
Defense: 816
Durability: 32 of 32
Required Strength: 111
Required Level: 63
Item Level: 81
Fingerprint: 0x6a424462
+20 to Strength
+70% Enhanced Defense
Damage Reduced by 8%
All Resistances +65
8% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +7
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
200% Damage to Demons
100% Damage to Undead
+2 to All Skill Levels
Socketed (4: 4 used)

Gloves:
Surtr’s Lava Gout, because I wanted Surtr (himself) to be imbued with fire damage through Enchant. I thought about using Demon Limb on switch but that didn’t seem right. To me, using Demon Limb on switch would seem to make the fire damage seem more battery or rather coin operated than imbued . . . and battery operated heroes aren’t cool. Plus, operating at the final breakpoint for Zeal, Enchant triggered pretty often adding more fire effects to the already busy screen :alright: .

Surtr's Lava Gout
Battle Gauntlets
Defense: 138
Durability: 38 of 38
Required Strength: 88
Required Level: 42
Item Level: 59
Fingerprint: 0x140befec
+189% Enhanced Defense
Fire Resist +24%
Adds 13-46 fire damage
+20 Maximum Durability
20% Increased Attack Speed
Half Freeze Duration
2% Chance to cast Level 10 Enchant on striking

Belt:
Surtr’s String of Ears, because after collecting the ears of kesteg’s, kstuart’s, and Jason Maher’s characters, he really shouldn’t waste them should he?

Surtr's String of Ears
Demonhide Sash
Defense: 104
Durability: 22 of 22
Required Strength: 20
Required Level: 29
Fingerprint: 0x1bd0d79a
+157% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
Magic Damage Reduced by 10
Damage Reduced by 15%
8% Life stolen per hit
+10 Maximum Durability

Boots:
Surtr’s Infernostride, because it increased Surtr’s Maximum Fire Resist (and a fire giant should not be vulnerable to fire)! Is there an echo in here? They also add fire damage (not much but every little bit helps the character and the theme). And, most importantly, they have 5% Chance to cast Level 8 Blaze when struck which meant there was almost always a ton of huge flames blanketing the screen (remember Surtr had no shield so he got struck often, very often).

Surtr's Infernostride
Demonhide Boots
Defense: 101
Durability: 12 of 12
Kick Damage: 26 to 46
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0x8c9724d5
+140% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
Fire Resist +30%
+10% to Maximum Fire Resist
Adds 12-33 fire damage
62% Extra Gold from Monsters
+2 to Light Radius
20% Faster Run/Walk
5% Chance to cast Level 8 Blaze when struck

Ring:
Storm Band, because . . . well why wouldn’t I want to use it? The name is great, as I have a great mental visual image of storm bands spreading out before Surtr’s approach :evil: . . . and the stats are exactly what I needed!

Storm Band
Ring
Required Level: 74
Item Level: 96
Fingerprint: 0x78cfbf0
+77 to Attack Rating
Damage Reduced by 2
Lightning Resist +29%
Poison Resist +29%
6% Life stolen per hit
6% Mana stolen per hit

Ring:
Angelic Halo, because I needed a set bonus so why not make it a good one? The name seemed to be a bit of a problem until I realized that he probably took the Angelic Ring and Amulet from the corpse of Freyr after the battle at Ragnarok, then it all made sense.

Angelic Halo
Ring
Required Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0xcb982032
+20 to Life
Replenish Life +6

Amulet:
Angelic Wings, (see above).

Angelic Wings
Amulet
Required Level: 12
Item Level: 64
Fingerprint: 0xd31b77cd
+3 to Light Radius
20% Damage Taken Goes to Mana

Switch Weapon:
Call to Arms Flail, because a giant should have a lot of life.

Call to Arms
Flail
'AmnRalMalIstOhm'
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 87
Durability: 30 of 30
Required Dexterity: 35
Required Strength: 41
Required Level: 57
Mace Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Item Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0x1e814e0c
+265% Enhanced Damage
Adds 5-30 fire damage
7% Life stolen per hit
Replenish Life +12
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
40% Increased Attack Speed
+6 to Battle Orders
+2 to Battle Cry
+6 to Battle Command
Prevent Monster Heal
150% Damage to Undead
+1 to All Skill Levels
Socketed (5: 5 used)

Switch Shield:
Spirit Monarch, (see above).

Spirit
Superior Monarch
'TalThulOrtAmn'
Defense: 171
Chance to Block: 42%
Smite Damage: 12 to 34
Durability: 98 of 99
Required Strength: 156
Required Level: 54
Item Level: 81
Fingerprint: 0x4cfa9213
+22 to Vitality
+112 to Mana
+15% Enhanced Defense
+250 Defense vs. Missile
Lightning Resist +35%
Cold Resist +35%
Poison Resist +35%
Increase Maximum Durability 15%
Attacker Takes Damage of 14
55% Faster Hit Recovery
35% Faster Cast Rate
+2 to All Skill Levels
+8 Magic Absorb

Charms:
Sapphire Grand Charm of Sustenance
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 37
Item Level: 94
Fingerprint: 0xef8f2333
+30 to Life
Cold Resist +28%

Shimmering Grand Charm
Required Level: 27
Item Level: 50
Fingerprint: 0xc9f6fcbe
All Resistances +15

Shimmering Grand Charm of Inertia
Item Level: 45
Fingerprint: 0xe6c6ef0e
All Resistances +15
7% Faster Run/Walk

Shimmering Grand Charm
Item Level: 80
Fingerprint: 0x2e3d8fe2
All Resistances +15

Steel Grand Charm of Balance
Required Level: 41
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x9d1a3c18
+118 to Attack Rating
12% Faster Hit Recovery

Shimmering Small Charm
Required Level: 25
Fingerprint: 0xed41c6b0
All Resistances +5

Shimmering Small Charm of Balance
Fingerprint: 0x8eef20c5
All Resistances +5
5% Faster Hit Recovery

Fine Small Charm of Vita
Required Level: 39
Fingerprint: 0xba0cfa56
+20 to Life
+12 to Attack Rating
+3 to Maximum Damage

Fine Small Charm of Vita
Fingerprint: 0xec445cd5
+18 to Life
+16 to Attack Rating
+1 to Maximum Damage

Mercenary:
Shikha (as close a name to ‘Sinmara’ as I could find), Level 84 Rouge Fire Arrow Merc, Surtr’s companion since Act 1 Normal:

Weapon:
Faith Diamond Bow, because it has fire damage (and only fire damage), the Fanaticism Aura turns the ground red/orange (as though it’s on fire!), and it let’s me call her “Surtr’s faithful companion”.

Faith
Superior Diamond Bow
'OhmJahLemEld'
Two-Hand Damage: 146 to 177
Required Dexterity: 132
Required Strength: 89
Required Level: 65
Bow Class - Normal Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0xad604d90
+280% Enhanced Damage
+64% Enhanced Damage
+1 to Attack Rating
All Resistances +15
+120 fire damage
75% Extra Gold from Monsters
Ignore Target Defense
300% Bonus to Attack Rating
75% Damage to Undead
+50 to Attack Rating against Undead
+1 to All Skill Levels
Level 14 Fanaticism Aura When Equipped
10% Reanimate As: Returned

Helm:
Guillaume’s Face, because it matches Surtr’s helm’s base item type (and you know matching couple’s outfits are cute).

Guillaume's Face
Winged Helm
Defense: 217
Durability: 32 of 40
Required Strength: 115
Required Level: 34
Fingerprint: 0x7f020aca
+15 to Strength
+120% Enhanced Defense
30% Faster Hit Recovery
35% Chance of Crushing Blow
15% Deadly Strike

Armor:
Smoke Wire Fleece, because it matches Surtr’s armor’s base item type (see above), and it seemed fitting that ‘Smoke’ should be following behind Surtr.

Smoke
Wire Fleece
'NefLum'
Defense: 801
Durability: 32 of 32
Required Strength: 111
Required Level: 53
Item Level: 79
Fingerprint: 0xff802fd0
+10 to Energy
+75% Enhanced Defense
+280 Defense vs. Missile
All Resistances +50
-1 to Light Radius
20% Faster Hit Recovery
Level 6 Weaken (18/18 Charges)
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Character Story Concept:
It is an eon after the events of Ragnarok and the world has once again been corrupted beyond redemption. Surtr must therefore once again issue forth from the realm of Murspell, defeat the gods Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal, destroy the corrupted Worldstone and then once again set the world ablaze in a cleansing fire.

Gaming Experience:
Normal and Nightmare were completed at Players 7 with Surtr using a pretty random assortment of twinking gear that was always replaced by the endgame gear the moment it became available. Surtr’s Infernostrides and Lava Gout Battle Gauntlets helped create some sense of character identity in Normal but it wasn’t really until the very end of Nightmare (reaching clvl 71 and Flamebellow) that there was a very strong sense of theme.

Once Flamebellow was equipped everything seemed to come together and the character really became a lot of fun to play through Hell. Operating at the final breakpoint for Zeal, Surtr’s 12% chance to cast level 16 Firestorm on striking (Flamebellow), 2% chance to cast level 10 Enchant on striking (Lava Gout), added to the 5% chance to cast level 8 Blaze when struck (Infernostrides) and the arrows of the Act 1 Fire Merc meant that there was always a huge amount of fire exploding on the screen. As I planned the character I had suspected that most of that fire damage was only going to be for show but once playing through Hell was pleasantly surprised to discover that it did make a big difference in some important places. For example, I was really concerned about being able to make it through the Maggot Lair PI’s but was very excited to discover that at Players 1 Surtr had enough fire damage to cut through PI’s as though they were any other monster in the game :alright: . There were a few FI/PI monsters (mostly in Act 4 Hell) that Surtr couldn’t defeat (using his standard gear) so I did what I thought a hulking giant would do: knock them out of the way (using charge) and move onto more important things. Things like defeating Baal (pictured) and laying waste to the world (sadly not pictured 🇳🇴 ).

What else? Ah, finds! Surprisingly there were some decent drops despite Surtr’s nearly meaningless 25% MF. These drops included: Nature’s Peace, Demonhorn’s Edge, Baranar’s Star, Messerschmidt’s Reaver, and a very nice Wolfhowl:

Readouts:

Nature's Peace
Ring
Required Level: 69
Item Level: 83
Fingerprint: 0x51d70ad2
Damage Reduced by 10
Poison Resist +21%
Slain Monsters Rest In Peace
Prevent Monster Heal
Level 5 Oak Sage (19/27 Charges)

Demonhorn's Edge
Destroyer Helm
Defense: 354
Durability: 34 of 45
(Barbarian Only)
Required Strength: 151
Required Level: 61
Fingerprint: 0xe2d9b5f6
+126% Enhanced Defense
4% Life stolen per hit
Attacker Takes Damage of 63
10% Increased Attack Speed
+1 to Masteries Skills (Barbarian Only)
+2 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
+3 to Combat Skills (Barbarian Only)

Baranar's Star
Devil Star
One-Hand Damage: 129 to 159
Durability: 54 of 172
Required Dexterity: 44
Required Strength: 153
Mace Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Level: 84
Fingerprint: 0x24d46ae4
+15 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
+200% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1-200 fire damage
Adds 1-200 lightning damage
Adds 1-200 cold damage over 5 seconds
+100 Maximum Durability
50% Increased Attack Speed
200% Bonus to Attack Rating
150% Damage to Undead

Messerschmidt's Reaver
Champion Axe
Two-Hand Damage: 177 to 282
Durability: 31 of 75
Required Dexterity: 59
Required Strength: 167
Required Level: 70
Axe Class - Fast Attack Speed
Fingerprint: 0x9b2ae88b
+15 to Strength
+15 to Energy
+15 to Dexterity
+15 to Vitality
+200% Enhanced Damage
Adds 20-240 fire damage
+25 Maximum Durability
100% Bonus to Attack Rating
+2% to Maximum Damage (Based on Character Level)

Wolfhowl
Fury Visor
Defense: 335
Durability: 30 of 35
(Barbarian Only)
Required Strength: 129
Required Level: 79
Fingerprint: 0x82f13ac6
+8 to Strength
+10 to Dexterity
+9 to Vitality
+122% Enhanced Defense
+4 to Werewolf
+6 to Lycanthropy
+6 to Feral Rage
+3 to Warcry Skills (Barbarian Only)
Level 15 Summon Dire Wolf (8/18 Charges)

The Wolfhowl might be my best to date so I’d say it’s about time to create a Wolfbarb . . . or maybe it’s time for more 1.07 :scratchhead: . . . either way, I’d say this character has been fun but is ready for retirement.

Thanks to Liquid_Evil for creating/hosting (great to have you back)! Thanks to the judges for volunteering their time and wisdom (if there is anything at all I can do to influence you in my favor please don’t hesitate to message me :nod: ). And lastly, thanks to anyone else who bothered to read this 👍 !

Jason Maher said:
I'm officially signing up for an ugly dog avatar. I've put a lot of effort into this character, and there's no way I can get a write-up done in time that will do her justice. I will do a proper write up when I've completed the character, for general informational and amusement purposes.

I'll leave this here by way of an apology.

NacRuno said:
Introduction

Ladies and gentlemen. You are about to witness one of the most entancing dancers you will ever see with your own two eyes. She will present you a show that will literally burn in to your mind. Behold to the beautiful gypsy dancer Esmeralda.

Unfortunately I will need to cut it short with my introduction and story due to leaving it to the last minute. Although I made it through matriarchship with my char, some other last minute work kept me busy more than I hoped to be. When I read about the theme and my skill requirements I knew I wanted to build a fire trapper. I wasn't sure about the back-up skill for a long time and I considered going the 'Passionate' route and zealing my way through the fire immunes. Then I read a mat thread of maxicek (Blaze) where he introduces this fire/kicker hybrid as a fire dancer. It just felt soo fitting that I couldn't pass the opportunity. Using a Rift as the kicker weapon just added more to the fireworks and the show =). She was a total badass as Wake of Fire burned everything down with ease through NM. I read about that skill having a huge AoE but I wasn't expecting this much. It easily covers the whole screen, whereever the monsters are, and makes all non fire immunes to go down very nicely.

The name Esmeralda just occured to me as being an entancing and dancer from a fairy tale. I was planning on using more of the story (The Hunchback of Notre-Dame), but my creativity didn't help much there. My general plan for the theme was mainly use the fire traps, use dragon talon as a back-up (although it was my main skill for the last 2 acts, using the traps only to help the merc against mobs) and avoid using death sentry, venom and any shadow as Esmeralda would have wanted nothing of the sort.

I played at /p8 through Normal and NM and then switched to /p1 for Hell. It wasn't so bad until the Ancients, which took forever. I think I had to cast a Town Portal for more than 30 times during the fight. At first I was trying to fight them face to face but both me and my merc was just falling down too fast. Then I decided Esmeralda had no need to face them as a man, she could as well run around them laying traps until both non FIs are dead. Talic remained at the end but it wasn't so hard fighting him off as long as I had remaining health potions. In one of my attempts he actually killed me when he had a sliver of life himself, making all the time I spent running around a waste. In my next attempt I was more prepared with the potions and managed to defeat him. In both of my close attempts he spawned mana burn and that was the main reason I wasn't able to keep up without potions.

My next feared challenge was Lister and his group but I managed to lure them one by one, making all an easy kill.

Here is the stat and gear allocation. I tried to follow the item restrictions using a crappy jewel in sigon's helmet. The sigon's shield was a nice addition though, with the +skills and the extra AR it gave to the helmet. For the rest of the items, those rares are actually better than all the uniques I have in my stash. I wanted to get as much crushing blow as possible to make things easier with my fast kick speed, thus the crafted gloves and Duress. I needed 30 IAS for the kick breakpoint, so that had to come from Goldwrap and the gloves.

I had a bunch more images but you will need to suffice with the following:
Some dance moves on fire
Killing Hell Andy
Killing Hell Nihlathak
Talic that killed me
Making Matriarch

And here are the stats of my toon.

Gear & Stats
Rich (BB code):
Stats

Name:    Esmeralda
Class:   Assassin
Build:   Fire Dancer (Trapper/Kicker Hybrid using WoF and Rift for kicks)
Level:   78

Theme:        Circus/Carnival
Skill Reqs:    Fire or Physical

Strength:   75/94
Dexterity:  20/46
Vitality:   365/373
HP:         1299/1412
Mana:       140/191
AR:         6629

Resists on Hell (F/C/L/P): 27/30/30/27
Resists on Hell (F/C/L/P): 75/75/75/75 (w/ Fade)

Items

Weapon1: Esmeralda's Rift - War Scepter
Shield1: Esmeralda's Sigon's Guard (socketed with PDiamond)
Weapon2: None
Shield2: None
Helm:    Sigon's Visor (Socketed with Rare Jewel: Plague Gyre 12% EDamage, +1-3 Cold Dmg, Poison Res +25, +5% MF)
Armour:  Duress - Light Plate
Belt:    Goldwrap
Gloves:  Rune Grip Crafted Gloves (+20% IAS, 6% Life stolen, 8% Crushing Blow, +30% EDefense, +13 Life, Fire Res. +9)
Boots:   Esmeralda's Gore Rider
Amulet:  Doom Collar Rare Amulet (+1 to Assassin Skills, +3 to Min Dmg, +58 to Life, All Res +4, Lightning Res +26)
Ring1:   Havoc Whorl Rare Ring (+50 to AR, 5% Mana stolen, +4 to Energy, Replenish Life +6, Lightning Res. +11, +7% MF)
Ring2:   Shadow Eye Rare Ring (+18 AR, 8% Life stolen, +9 Str, +3 Dex, All Res +6, Poison Res +23)

Skills

Wake of Fire: 20/22
Fire Blast: 20/22
Wake of Inferno: 20/22
Dragon Talon: 16/18
Dragon Flight: 1/3
BoS: 1/3
Fade: 5/7
Cloak of Shadows: 1/3
Mind Blast: 1/3

WoF Damage:     306 - 352 @ 11 frame laying speed w 30 IAS
Dragon Talon Damage:     208 - 379 @ 3/9 frame per attack w 70 IAS

Crushing Blow: 38%
Open Wounds: 43%

Faster Hit Recovery: 50%

Charms

Coral Large Charm of the Glacier (+12% Lightning Res./+3-6 Cold Dmg)
Ruby Large Charm of Storms (+15% Fire Res./+1-30 Lightning Dmg)
Ocher Small Charm of Strength (+7% Lightning Res./+1 Str)
Garnet Small Charm of Balance (+5% Fire Res./%5 Faster Hit Recovery)
Lapis Small Charm of Vita (+6% Cold Res./+18 Life)
Sapphire Small Charm of Inertia (+11% Cold Res./%3 Faster Run)
Cobalt Small Charm of Balance (+9% Cold Res./%5 Faster Hit Recovery)
Garnet Small Charm of Burning (+8% Fire Res./+4-7 Fire Dmg)
Russet Large Charm of Dexterity (+8% Fire Res./+4 Dex)
Crimson Small Charm of Strength (+5% Fire Res./+1 Str)
Beryl Small Charm of Dexterity (+5% Poison Res./+1 Dex)

Mercenary

Name: Wulf
Type: Act V - Barbarian

Equipped with: Crescent Moon Legend Sword, Crown of Thieves and Duriel's Shell

First time I used a Barb mercenary and I was pretty happy with how he fared. I was actually using an Insight wielding Act II merc till end of NM for constant trap spamming but swithing to this guy just after defeating NM Baal. I tried to avoid the Act 2 mercs just because Esmeralda doesn't have a good history with them =).

Noteworty Finds

Nothing other than the hellforge drops (Pul/Gul). It was nice to get back the investment in Rift back so quickly =).

Final Thoughts

I was actually skeptical about using fire traps as my main skill but WoF proved to be much more effective than I could ever imagine. The amount of crushing blow I had also made my kicks were deadly against large monsters and bosses. The damage numbers of WoF looks quite low but it was more than enough to save me in many tough situations till the end of Hell.

Liquid_Evil, for holding this challenge and giving me the motivation for the build
maxicek and Nagisa, for the inspirational mat threads

Full Item Readout
Code:
Doom Collar
Amulet
Fingerprint: 0x3e577214
Item Level: 67
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+1 to Assassin Skill Levels
+3 to Minimum Damage
+58 to Life
All Resistances +4
Lightning Resist +26%

Duress
Light Plate
ShaelUmThul
Defense: 245
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Level: 47
Required Strength: 41
Fingerprint: 0x5d853927
Item Level: 43
+40% Faster Hit Recovery
15% Enhanced Damage
Adds 37 - 133 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
15% Chance of Crushing Blow
33% Chance of Open Wounds
+161% Enhanced Defense
-20% Slower Stamina Drain
Cold Resist +30%
All Resistances +15
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Um Rune
Socketed: Thul Rune

Havoc Whorl
Ring
Required Level: 46
Fingerprint: 0x8c8423f4
Item Level: 68
+50 to Attack Rating
5% Mana stolen per hit
+4 to Energy
Replenish Life +6
Lightning Resist +11%
7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Goldwrap
Heavy Belt
Defense: 36
Durability: 18 of 18
Required Strength: 45
Fingerprint: 0x6edecd30
+10% Increased Attack Speed
+58% Enhanced Defense
+25 Defense
66% Extra Gold from Monsters
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+2 to Light Radius

Esmeralda's Gore Rider
War Boots
Defense: 156
Durability: 34 of 34
Required Strength: 94
Fingerprint: 0xb1f78c15
+30% Faster Run/Walk
15% Chance of Crushing Blow
15% Deadly Strike
10% Chance of Open Wounds
+190% Enhanced Defense
+20 Maximum Stamina
Requirements -25%
+10 Maximum Durability

Sigon's Visor
Great Helm
Defense: 59
Durability: 40 of 40
Required Level: 14
Required Strength: 63
Fingerprint: 0x9c99fa06
12% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1 - 3 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
+25 Defense
+30 to Mana
Poison Resist +25%
5% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Set (2 items): +624 to Attack Rating (Based on Character Level)
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Plague Gyre

(2 items): 10% Life stolen per hit

Plague Gyre
Jewel
Required Level: 14
Fingerprint: 0xd6bd214f
Item Level: 75
12% Enhanced Damage
Adds 1 - 3 Cold Damage Over 2 Secs (50 Frames)
Poison Resist +25%
5% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Rune Grip
Heavy Gloves
Defense: 9
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 57
Fingerprint: 0x4c739641
Item Level: 71
+20% Increased Attack Speed
6% Life stolen per hit
8% Chance of Crushing Blow
+30% Enhanced Defense
+13 to Life
Fire Resist +9%

Shadow Eye
Ring
Fingerprint: 0xfdf8ae0f
Item Level: 82
+18 to Attack Rating
8% Life stolen per hit
+9 to Strength
+3 to Dexterity
All Resistances +6
Poison Resist +23%

Coral Large Charm of the Glacier
Large Charm
Required Level: 18
Fingerprint: 0x32609823
Adds 3 - 6 Cold Damage Over 1 Secs (25 Frames)
Lightning Resist +12%

Ruby Large Charm of Storms
Large Charm
Fingerprint: 0x57f93f67
Item Level: 62
Adds 1 - 30 Lightning Damage
Fire Resist +15%

Ocher Small Charm of Strength
Small Charm
Required Level: 10
Fingerprint: 0xd1251977
Item Level: 19
+1 to Strength
Lightning Resist +7%

Garnet Small Charm of Balance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x30397910
Item Level: 56
+5% Faster Hit Recovery
Fire Resist +8%

Lapis Small Charm of Vita
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0xee074e55
Item Level: 68
+18 to Life
Cold Resist +6%

Sapphire Small Charm of Inertia
Small Charm
Required Level: 32
Fingerprint: 0x15efef93
+3% Faster Run/Walk
Cold Resist +11%

Cobalt Small Charm of Balance
Small Charm
Fingerprint: 0x8db04084
Item Level: 61
+5% Faster Hit Recovery
Cold Resist +9%

Garnet Small Charm of Burning
Small Charm
Required Level: 24
Fingerprint: 0x40ed9a48
Item Level: 83
Adds 4 - 7 Fire Damage
Fire Resist +8%

Russet Large Charm of Dexterity
Large Charm
Required Level: 13
Fingerprint: 0xadacc2bf
Item Level: 28
+4 to Dexterity
Fire Resist +8%

Crimson Small Charm of Strength
Small Charm
Required Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0xe7d4e5b8
Item Level: 9
+1 to Strength
Fire Resist +5%

Beryl Small Charm of Dexterity
Small Charm
Required Level: 5
Fingerprint: 0xfa55b829
Item Level: 12
+1 to Dexterity
Poison Resist +5%

Esmeralda's Rift
War Scepter
HelKoLemGul
One Hand Damage: 10 - 17
Durability: 70 of 70
Required Level: 53
Required Strength: 44
Fingerprint: 0x3c1b6478
Item Level: 28
20% Chance to cast level 16 Tornado on striking
16% Chance to cast level 21 Frozen Orb on attack
20% Bonus to Attack Rating
+150% Damage to Undead
Adds 160 - 250 Magic Damage
Adds 60 - 180 Fire Damage
All Stats +8
+10 to Dexterity
38% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
75% Extra Gold from Monsters
Level 15 Iron Maiden (40/40 Charges)
Requirements -20%
4 Sockets (4 used)
Socketed: Hel Rune
Socketed: Ko Rune
Socketed: Lem Rune
Socketed: Gul Rune

Esmeralda's Sigon's Guard
Tower Shield
Defense: 25
Chance to Block: 44
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Strength: 75
Fingerprint: 0x768622f9
+1 to All Skills
20% Increased Chance of Blocking
All Resistances +19
1 Sockets (1 used)
Socketed: Perfect Diamond

(2 items): 10% Life stolen per hit

Perfect Diamond
Weapons: +68% Damage to Undead
Armor: +100 to Attack Rating
Shields: Cold Resist +19%
Lightning Resist +19%
Fire Resist +19%
Poison Resist +19%

Mercenary:

Crown of Thieves
Grand Crown
Defense: 296
Durability: 29 of 50
Required Level: 49
Required Strength: 103
Fingerprint: 0x42d32104
11% Life stolen per hit
+160% Enhanced Defense
+25 to Dexterity
+50 to Life
+35 to Mana
Fire Resist +33%
82% Extra Gold from Monsters

Duriel's Shell
Cuirass
Defense: 693
Durability: 150 of 150
Required Level: 41
Required Strength: 65
Fingerprint: 0x3939a75a
+194% Enhanced Defense
+97 Defense (Based on Character Level)
+15 to Strength
+78 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Cold Resist +30%
All Resistances +20
Cannot Be Frozen
+100 Maximum Durability

Crescent Moon
Legend Sword
ShaelUmTir
One Hand Damage: 62 - 158
Two Hand Damage: 141 - 266
Durability: 37 of 44
Required Strength: 175
Required Dexterity: 100
Fingerprint: 0x5d222d3
Item Level: 79
7% Chance to cast level 13 Static Field on striking
10% Chance to cast level 17 Chain Lightning on striking
+20% Increased Attack Speed
183% Enhanced Damage
Ignore Target's Defense
-35% to Enemy Lightning Resistance
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+9 Magic Absorb
+2 to Mana after each Kill
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30/30 Charges)
3 Sockets (3 used)
Socketed: Shael Rune
Socketed: Um Rune
Socketed: Tir Rune

Liquid_Evil said:
Welp, that does it! Please no more edits or submissions. Huge thanks to all of our participants! The judges and I will deliberate over the weekend and I'll try to get something posted on Monday or Tuesday.

Judges- Send everything to my email instead of PM box.

omgwtfbbqpwned said:
Strygwyr, The Bloodseeker
icon.gif

LCS of Strygwyr, The Feral Rage Werewolf

Preface: I swear on the name of Liquid_Evil that I did not litter the contents of the below spoilers with a single .gif and/or .jpeg, so I'm guaranteeing it's 56k friendly. ;) Also, should I be lying, it's not NSFL or NSFW or 4chan-material in any way.

Who, What, When, Where, Why, How, Batman Symbol:
To those unfamiliar with DotA: I'm sorry; 1. you've either been living under a rock, or 2. you're older than kestegs, or 3. possibly both.

The following is copypasta from DotA's official site:
An unusual hybrid of Demon and Orc, Strygwyr is an outcast amongst all mortal creatures. By thriving on and bathing himself with the blood of those he slays, Strygwyr can heal his wounds - even those that could prove fatal. Beware the fool who dares venturing alone, for Strygwyr can sense his blood miles away and gain vision through his helpless prey's eyes. Having ruptured the enemy with mighty blows in his bloodthirsty frenzies, Strygwyr corners his foe into making the impossible decision - bleed to death by trying to outrun the hasty demon, or be ripped to shreds in its awesome fury.

Awesome. And for those familiar with DotA (sidenote: and decent at playing DotA), you know him all too well as BS aka "Ally Chat: ofmg you ****ing noob why would you pick such a useless hero ***** rage quit". True story.

Vitals and Gear:
Level 90 Druid
Base Life/Final Life (WW & BO): 560/2169
Base Mana/Final Mana: 696969696/100 No one cares and no one will notice this.
STR: 304
DEX: 333
VIT: 25
NRG: 20
FHR: 5 fpa

Slvl 27 Feral Rage (with HoW): 1325-6691 @ 9/11 fpa [75% CB, 35% OW]
Feral Rage AR (with HoW): 21460

Slvl 27 Feral Rage: 998-4998 @ 9/11 fpa [75% CB, 35% OW]
Feral Rage AR: 17112

Slvl 8 Fury (with HoW): 1380-6978 @ 7/7/7/7/11 fpa [75% CB, 35% OW]
Fury AR (with HoW): 18111

Slvl 8 Fury: 1053-5285 @ 7/7/7/7/11 fpa [75% CB, 35% OW]
Fury AR: 13764

Lycanthropy: Maxed
Feral Rage: Maxed
Heart of Wolverine: Maxed
Carrion Vine: Maxed
Werewolf: Remainder
1-point Wonders: Fury

Weapon: Strygwyr's The Cranium Basher (Realgar Jewel of Fervor
Switch-Out: 1.10a 'Call to Arms' War Scepter // 'Spirit' Monarch
Helm: Strygwyr's Visionary Basinet of the Fox (Viper Eye Rare Jewel, Viper Eye Rare Jewel*)
Armor: Cow King's Hide (Dol)
Gloves: Satanic's Dracul's Grasp
Boots: Cow King's Hooves
Belts: Eagle Harness Crafted Blood Belt
Amulet: Beast Heart Rare Amulet
Ring1: Raven Frost
Ring2: Viper Coil Rare Ring
Charms: Skillers, Damage, Lifers, Res.

* Not a typo. Double Viper Eye rare jewels, both white, both pointing up. Points plox. Take that, Republicans!

Skill Theme:
Let's examine Bloodseeker's skill set in the world of DotA (pure copypasta):

skill-0.gif

Blood Rage
Drives a unit into a bloodthristy rage. That unit is unable to cast spells, has its attack damage increased, and loses a small amount of hit points every second.

How I achieved this effect:
Slvl 28 Werewolf - Silences the Druid.
Slvl 30 Heart of Wolverine - Grants 223% damage.
(I'm not using 'Malice' - bite me!)

skill-1.jpg

Bloodbath
Whenever Strygwyr kills a unit, he bathes himself in the blood, regenerating his life source.

Slvl 30 Carrion Vine - Restores 11% of corpse's life to Druid.
Satanic's Dracul's Grasp - 5 Life Per Kill, 15% Life Leech.
Slvl 27 Feral Rage - 4-116% Life Leech with each attack (the weaker the enemy, the more Strygwyr heals).

skill-2.jpg

Strygwyr's Thirst
Enables Strygwyr to sense the bleeding of any enemy hero below 40% hp. If he finds one, Strygwyr gains vision of that unit and increased movement speed.

Slvl 27 Feral Rage - 19-58% Skill FRW with each attack (the weaker the enemy, the faster Strygwyr runs).

skill-3.gif

Rupture
Deals a mighty blow to the enemy causing any movement to result in bleeding and loss of life.

Eagle Harness Crafted Blood Belt - 10% Open Wounds.
Satanic's Dracul's Grasp - 25% Open Wounds.

Stat Theme:
In DotA, Strygwyr gains 2.0 strength per level, and 3.0 agility per level. In Diablo II, Strygwyr gain's 2 strength and 3 dexterity per level. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

DotA Items:
Heart of Tarrasque
icon.jpg

+40 Strength
+300 HP
Health Regeneration (passive)

Beast Heart **
Amulet
+30 to Strength
Replenish Life +10

** I wanted to personalize this so badly. Stoopid Blizzard.

Cranium Basher
icon.jpg

Strygwyr's The Cranium Basher
Thunder Maul

Satanic
icon.jpg

+25 Strength
+20 damage
+5 armor
Lifesteal (passive)
Unholy Rage (active)- Gives +175% Lifesteal for 3.5 seconds

Satanic's Dracul's Grasp
Vampirebone Gloves
+15 to Strength
10% Life stolen per hit
5% Chance to cast Level 10 Life Tap on striking

Following Liquid_Evil's Stupigenious (I keed, I keed) Ruleset and Themes:
1. Partial Set - Cow King's Hide, Cow King's Hooves.
2. Helm - Strygwyr's Visionary Basinet of the Fox.
3. Socketing - Dol in armor, rare jewel in helm.

Physical/Fire:
Feral Rage is physical.

Animalistic/Foxy:
Do I really need to spell it out? ;) There are a total of 15 animal references in my gear. Can you spot them all? Hint: I counted 'Beast' as one, and I also counted doubles. Unoriginal you say?

Also, with regards to this whole foxy thing: see Brock.

Point-whoredom:
Weapon: Strygwyr's The Cranium Basher (Realgar Jewel of Fervor
Gloves: Satanic's Dracul's Grasp
Helm: Strygwyr's Visionary Basinet of the Fox (Viper Eye Rare Jewel, Viper Eye Rare Jewel*)

Gameplay and Thoughts:
TL;DR version (as Shakespeare once said, brevity is poop face up your mom):

omg's standard rules
[x] All quests completed, with the exception of reward quests.
[x] All way points are to be taken, with the exception of Hall of Pain.

Normal (/p8): In this order.
Nightmare (/p8-->/p1): At first I was like; but then I was like.
Hell Act I: Made some hoes bleed. Aww yeah.
Hell Act II: Strygwyr is not Woody. Woody is Duriel.
Hell Act III: Life in nature is harsh.
Hell Act IV: This COMPLETELY describes the journey from River of Flame to Diablo's pentagon.
Hell Act V, in general: We from this to this in less than 20 minutes of gameplay.
Hell Act V, Ancients: The ancients = crab. Ha ha ha! No wait. Strygwyr was the crab. orz
Hell Act V, Baal and friends: Made me cry.

Managed this without a single death

NDEs? I tell you this, if Blizzard North made the life bulb change color everytime it dropped 800 life, I would have had several seizures. Druids were not made to have silly life.

Obligatory Hell Hell Forge pic: It was Ko.

One hour a day or so, grinded Nihlathak for exp, had my Cranium Basher equipped for some of Act IV and all of Act V, used an upped Steeldriver prior.

Strygwyr went merc-less because I am a boss.

Future:
>> Maybe some gear tweeks.
>> Travex and Boo-Boo will be joining future fights.
>> For those who want to build something like this, take a weapon that hits at least 7/9 frames with Feral Rage, pump Vita, and you should be good to go.

Closure: This was fun. Thanks for hosting L_E, and thank you to the judges who will no doubt be delivering hail-Batman justice upon my enemies.

@Drixx/Humbuggerer/cheerupemokid10: It's hard when omgwtfbbqpwned is this sexy, I know.

Special thanks:
jimsfriend/frozzzen for trying to get me to make a character on Eastern Sun so that I'd be disqualified. Nice try, you penfifteens.

I didn't make any of these images, I stole them off the internet. All relevant DotA information can be found here.

maareek said:
I'm very disappointed, people - I haven't received the first bribe! I hope you all like dog avatars, 'cause I'm giving negative points to everybody! There'll still be a winner in omg's group, though, because everyone in that group not named omg gets bonus points. I hate to reward any of you for not being corrupt, but rules is rules!

On a (slightly) on-topic note: I'll dig through the write-ups after work tomorrow. A cursory glance reveals some interesting points, though, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Grisu said:
Drystan said:
@Grisu - I just think you wanted my disqualified cos we're in the same catagory. One less competitor, maybe? :scratchchin:
Me? naaahhh... :whistling:

maareek said:
I'm very disappointed, people - I haven't received the first bribe! I hope you all like dog avatars, 'cause I'm giving negative points to everybody!
What? My cheque didn't arrive yet? Should be here any day!

maareek said:
omgwtfbbqpwned said:
@Drixx/Humbuggerer/cheerupemokid10: It's hard when omgwtfbbqpwned is this sexy, I know.

Assuming we do decide to disqualify you, I'm going to assume that searching for this exact image is what made you too late for the deadline. And then I'm going to go laugh for five hours. ;p

Liquid_Evil said:
@ omg- Minus 9000 for lateness!!!111

We will still grade it since you did just barely miss the deadline (it is a bit stupid to throw away ~3 weeks of char planning and building even if you were a pill a the contest start). Sadly however, it wouldn't be fair not to stick you with *some* sort of penalty since you had to go an ignore my umpteen warnings concerning the time. You just had to add those last few reddit images, didn't you? I'll let the judge's assess their own deduction of what they think is fair and take the average. I hope you're on good terms with max, maareek, and Pyro. :dontknow: Hopefully this is a good enough compromise. Anyway, best of luck whatever your scoring outcome. gg? gg.

Please no more submissions and thanks again to everyone for participating!

ioupainmax said:
So just to confirm, there were only 11/20 entries and these people didn't submit a write-up:

Paradigmshift
Jason Maher (explained in a post above)
kstuart
Kitteh
ancalagon the black
Drixx
Humbuggerer
Serdash
zemaj

Correct?

kstuart said:
correct for me, didn't really have the time to do anything with my one

i'd gotten as far as planning what i wanted to do (sacrifice paladin basically called Silas) but being its not the worlds most powerful build and in fact is damn right danagerous to use if you forget the 8% life loss and employ usual freezealot tactics of whack them to death

probably carry on with the character over time to see just how crap he is

Liquid_Evil said:
Yeah, that looks correct.

Did not submit:
Paradigmshift
Jason Maher (explained)
kstuart
Kitteh
ancalagon the black
Drixx
Humbuggerer
Serdash
zemaj

Did submit:
Krupa
cheerupemokid
Grisu
Ralguleld
nualum
Drystan
coju
kestegs
HanShotFirst
NacRuno
omgwtfbbqpwned

I'm a bit surprised at the low level of participation (especially considering the quick and dirty duration of this event and the openendedness of the whole shebang). I should have had a special avatar class just for those that signed up and then didn't do a character. Ah well, it will be something to consider for future hosts considering similar events.

Jason Maher said:
I'm in Act 1 Hell. Ran NM Baal to get to level 76 so I could equip the stylish item in the picture I linked to above, and then simply ran out of time. I will complete the character with her current equipment (she's handling p8 in Hell Act 1 - we'll see how that goes when I get to Acts 4 and 5), and then put up a Mat thread. I'll be honest, there would be very few changes I'd make if I didn't have the item restrictions.

Thanks for hosting Liq, great idea. Hope to see a few more tournaments in this kind of style. Might even dream one up myself, so I can rig it that Liq gets an ugly dog avatar. :badteeth:

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High