[2007] PvP Tournament - Battle Royale! [by Zhao_Yue]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by @Zhao_Yue on Aug 14, 2007. The last post was made Oct 21, 2007.
(link to original tournament thread on diabloii.net)
(link to original progress thread on diabloii.net)

Link to Summary and Results section (starting post #84)

PvP Tournament - Battle Royale!

Introduction
"Battle Royale - A random group of duelers get together. They are forced into the death arena, aptly named the Blood Moor, where they are equipped with food, water, a map and their own personal weapon(s). In the moor, they have to compete in a violent death match game till only one single victor remains. Failure to follow the rules or participate in the death match results in death by an exploding collar everyone has to wear."

Basically it’s you verses many opponents as you strive to use all your resources not only to kill everyone in the area, but also to stay alive. You must play the hunter … but also be hunted! :evil:

Date
Tentatively I’m looking for at least 12 participants before I go ahead with the tournament. If enough participants sign up, it will start on Saturday September 15, 12am (EST) and will end 4 weeks later, on Saturday October 13, 6pm (EST). Sign up for participation will be from now until the tournament starts.

General Rules
Each player may enter up to 3 different characters. Each character will be scored and ranked based on how well they perform in their matches.
Entry fee is 6 Perfect Gems per character.
GM rules apply. (See below)
Matches are done in the Blood Moor, Hell difficulty.
Each match will consist of randomly collected 3-8 players (grab people off the forum, MSN, etc). (I will use this thread to solicit people for weekend matches ahead of time, so players have a chance to catch a pre-scheduled game or 2.)
Each match will consist of 6 rounds. If ping is bad for some players, hostage can be split up 3/3 for 2 different time zones, or 2/2/2 for 3 different time zones. But this is dependant on the fact that regional hostage is actually available.

Rounds
Before each round, each player must signify their readiness. Once all players have done so, one player should say go and the round proceeds. The round ends when there is one (or in some cases no players) left alive.
Players slain within the round must stay in the Rogue Camp until the round is over. They may then collect their body.
In the case where 2 players are left and they die at the same time, the slain message will be used to indicate the winner. I.e. A slays B and B slays A will appear, and A will be declared the winner of that round.
Re-entering the game to remediate Leap Bug/Charge Bug is allowed. However, you cannot mule on additional items from other characters or ATMA stashes in between rounds.

"Mercy Rule"
If the FFA is 5 players or larger, the 2 players with the lowest standings in the group may choose to team up as a group of 2. The team is treated as 1 entity and both players receive the team score for that scoring game. This option offers more offence and defense potential for low performers but slightly diminishes the possible points each person would get compared to fighting as an individual. If a player has 0 points, he/she may no invoke this rule. This restriction may be waived if and only if each player in question has participated in only 0 or 1 PvP tournaments or events before this one.

Banned and Restricted Skills and Items
No bugged, hacked or duped items. Pre-1.11 items are allowed.
No potions, mercs, wells or shrines.
No mass slow (>10%), no mass poison from items (>200), no mass replenish (>25). Characters that use poison as their main attack have no limit on the amount of poison they use.
No overabsorb. Limit 2 items per element with the standard ban on Rising Sun and Black Oak. Points and usage in the Paladin's Resist Aura Skill will be counted as 1 source of absorb.

Bone Prison, Decrepify and Life Tap are banned. This includes CTC and charges from items. No usage of Widowmaker for non-Amazons.
Holy Bolt is banned.

No recasting Cyclone and Bone Armor. CTC from ‘Rain’ and ‘Bone’ are allowed.
No minions that cannot be summoned in town with the exception of Decoy.
No Holy Freeze.
No Slow Missiles including CTC and charges from items.
Blessed Hammers and Concentration cannot be used at the same time.
Items with Knockback are not allowed unless used in conjunction with skills the knockback.
Teleport is banned. This includes items charges, but CTC Teleport on The Oculus is allowed.
Faster Run/Walk is limited to a total of 110 from a combination of items, charms and skills. Feral Rage and Frenzy FRW bonus is not included within the 110 limit.

Scoring
Build Bonus
A character will begin with a build bonus, dependant on the build they choose:
Level A – Whirlwind Barbarians, Smite Paladins, Fist of the Heavens Paladin, Bone Necromancers, Trap Assassins
Level B – Non-WW Melee Barbarians, All Amazons, All Sorceresses (Non-Enchant), Paladins not included in Level A, Poison Necromancers, Non-Trap Assassins, Shapeshift Druids
Level C – Singer Barbarians, Enchantresses, Non-Caster Necromancers, Elemental Druids

Level A – 0 point bonus
Level B – 25 point bonus
Level C – 50 point bonus

Hybrids will be be measured by the average of the 2 build classes that they are composed of. For example, WW/Trap will be scored as a combination of Trapper and Ghost, so the class bonus will be 0+25/2 = 12.5.

If your build is not listed above, or are unsure of its classification, PM me and I’ll make a ruling.

Class bonus point will be added at the end of the tournament, for calculation purposes.

Match Scoring
Scoring within matches is as follows: 1 for participation per match, 2 per kill and 1 for last man standing. 6 rounds are completed and the points are multiplied by the Players factor.

For example - 5 players have a 5 way FFA:
Code:
[B]    Part Kill(x2) LMS Sum Net[/B]
AAA 1    4x2      2   11  11x5=55
BBB 1    3x2      1   8   8x5=40
CCC 1    8x2      0   17  17x5=85
DDD 1    9x2      2   21  21x5=105
EEE 1    0x2      0   1   1x5=5
Part = Participation, Kill = Total kills in Match, LMS = Last man standing

If Players DDD and EEE decide to invoke the “Mercy Rule”:
Code:
[B]        Part Kill (x2) LMS Sum Net[/B]
AAA     1    4x2       2   11   11x5=55
BBB     1    3x2       1   8    8x5=40
CCC     1    8x2       0   17   17x5=85
DDD+EEE 1    6x2       2   15   15x5=75
The team scores 75 points and the 2 members split the points by 2, rounded down. So both players would score 37 points individually. Theoretically they receive fewer points as team as they miss killing each other for points, as compared to fighting individually.

I will keep an updated standings table of all the characters, in case it needs to be referenced for possible usage of the “Mercy rule”.

Limit to Number of Matches
Characters will be scored to matches that add up to 30 player value matches. For example, a character that completes a 4 + 5 + 5 + 8 + 8 player matches would have a total of 30 and thus be considered complete.

However, to avoid the possibility of the number of matches not evenly adding up to exactly 30, characters will be given a safety net of a maximum of 45 player matches. The score will be factored down, to get it relative to 30 player matches. For example, if AAA did 37 player match and had a score of 140 points, his score would be factored down by 30/37. So 140 * 30/37 = 113.5 for their final score. The class bonus would be added after this.

In the end, there can only be one! Or two, maybe 3.
The top 3 scorers at the end of the tournament will divide up the Perfect Gem loot as follows:
1st – 60% of the pot
2nd – 30% of the pot
3rd – 10% of the pot
A player who enters 3 characters and finishes them 1, 2 and 3 can take the whole pot.

Also the bottom 3 scorers will be awarded with a funky avatar they must wear for a week, to signify ‘Good effort, but better luck next time!’ Conversely if a player enters in 3 characters and takes all three basement position, he/she must hand their head in shame and leave the forum. Nah, just kidding! 😆

Good luck to all who choose to enter, and happy hunting!

*Edits were made at Zhao_Yue's request. Those changes are highlighted.

Last edited:
Please enter in your characters in the table below:

Code:
Forum Name      Character Name        Level       Pgems Paid
-               -                     -           -

You can send you entry fee of 6 pgems per character to cjew_tor (at) yahoo (dot) com. I will cube them, er ... I mean store them for safe keeping. 😁

smilts said:
On the no mass poison from items rule. Would that mean a character such as a poison daggermancer would be banned or is that skill poison and therefore different?
Actually I should change that. Characters that have poison as their main attack shouldn't have restrictions on their poison usage.

silospen said:
Didn't see a 1.07 item rule - Do these count as bugged/hacked/ items

Pre-1.11 items are allowed.

Code:
Forum Name                Character Name        Level       Pgems Paid
KV                        Embryo                1           None
Smilts                    Tas                   1           6
smilts                    Steel                 1           6
Silospen                  Ungodly_Martyr        96          6
Silospen                  ThePerfectJava        98          6
sequana                   Broucek               91          6
sequana                   Jasmine               86+         6   
DX                        Mr_Fluffy             76          6

Me is in about to lvl my character atm hopefully I can get him to 90 or so will send my gems as soon as possible

Edit sent

Level in the above table should have been the categorization of you build (A, B or C) for the build bonus, but I suppose that was a bit ambiguous. I guess you can email me your build category and I'll add the bonus at the end of the tournament, in order to keep some suprise factor in play.

In case you missed it, Cat made a few addtions/corrections in the rules that I missed when I first posted. You can find them highlighted oranged in the original post.

I'm in...

Code:
Nazdakka                  Truckle               87          6

Liquid_Evil said:
50 bonus points for entering a windy?

Did you just copy and paste an old Tier chart, zhao? :wink2: Good luck with the tourney.
Without teleport, a windy can be beaten by:
Assassins (Trap, WW or Hybrid)
Necromancers (Bone or Poison Nova)
Sorceresses (Fire, Lightning or Cold)
Amazons (Bow or Javalin)

Shifter Druids, WW Barbs and Smiters can lead the summons away and attack their exposed flank, or just keep killing the summons until the Windy runs out of mana. GM is not a kind environment to the Windy. (That's where something like a Dynasty would come in to represent. 😁 )

Edit: Actually I would like to hear your wise words with regards to this tournament, any additional thoughts? You think a Windy can do well?

Code:
Darkoooo                  N/A                   N/A         6

I haven't yet made the char yet:laugh:.

Code:
Darkoooo                  N/A                   N/A         6
Naab                      Al                    1           6
Naab                      Naabster              89          6

Might add another carc later

Wohooo, pvp tournement!

I'm gonna sign one character up for this, but I haven't decided on which one yet, but it's great to see that the pvp scene isn't dying!

I'll make a total slaughterfest with all of you, tributed to colony's honour :hide:

EDIT: might as well make it official:
Code: