[2007] goodbye tournament: Solitary superheroes [by Jaedhann]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Migration finished

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by @Jaedhann on Oct 2, 2007. The last post was made Oct 25, 2007.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

goodbye tournament: Solitary superheroes

Well, my time has gone. I had a great time at this forum and enjoyed the whole game (a little to) much thanks to all you kind people. One thing i never did however was join another tourney except the MF ones. The major hurdle was the limitation the rules made for the characters. It seemed the whole thing would just take to much time. But ohhh, did i love reading the progress of some people. In my mind some of them are the true masters of PvM playing.

So i would like to host, as a goodbye present a hopefully short, but fun tourney. Where most of the other where mostly involved with patience, skills and a lot of 'killing by merc', this one will hopefully be about style, brute force and a little roleplaying.

May i present to you: "The league of solitary superheroes."

Basic rules.

1. SC only. You may do it hardcore, but some rules may make that extra hard.

2. Twinking to the bone. Ever seen James Bond or Batman without the cool items? I don't think so. You may be a superhero allready, but even they need some good, spiffy gear to survive.

3. No minions, no merc. You are a solitary superhero, so you work alone.

4. Rerunning allowed, not all quests have to be done.

Now, it still is a tourney, so you must be able to score points so we can declare a winner in the end. You, as a superhero, must do some tasks to showoff you amazing powers at the yearly superheroes convention the last day of october (when the tourney ends.)
Therefor you have to produce some evidence in the form of screenshots, and you must have your stories ready to take the form of the myths that they will evolve in.

First thing to do is to create a deeper psycholigy of your character. Why did he or she take up arms against evil in the first place, and how did his superpowers (skills) evolve in what they are now. You do this somewhere along the line, but before you make your endpost (see rule 8)

Second, you will make a screenshot of you character dressed up reflecting that psychology. It would be cool if he/she actually fights in that outfit, but not needed.

Third, you will deliver 'an amazing feat'. Like killing a boss naked or just do something crazy/impossible/real funny. Describe what you have done, maybe assisted by some screenshots.

Forth, you will have to pick you nemesis. That is a monstertype that, wheneverand wherever it spawns, you will kill all of it's kind on that level. You may choose between dolls, gloams and ok's. More points are rewarded by me by picking a harder nemesis regarding your character. If you pick dolls while playing a melee sorc, you will get the credits for that.

Fifth, you will have to make a cliffhanger screenshot somewhere along the way. You will post this in the thread before you decide that your superpowers have evolved enough and you declare yourself done. See them as some photo's the superheroes send eachother before the convention just to make the others jealous. A cliffhanger screenshot is made by your hero, surrounded by monsters and at the brink of death. Make the situation look really hopeless.

sixth, pick your kryptonite. This is done by adding a mayor weakness to your hero. You decide what weekness, and i'll reward credits.

Seventh, Pick a grail. The one item you set you mind up on finding this time. It may be a set item or a unique or a magic item with a prefix AND a suffix. You must declare your grailitem when you subscribe to the thread.

eighth, make an endpost. You do this after you have defeaten Baal at least. You may also kill him 100 times more, but you must be a Pat/Mat before you can make an endpost. Brag about yourself, or cry as you are filled with guilt over all the poor monster you have slain or,,well, just make something up.

As far as the scoring, you score relative to others. I will judge how you did the tasks and how you presented them. I am completely impartial but can be bribed with a good dosis of humor. The point is, you don't play this tourney to win, just to enjoy the creation of a character and to play the game a little different maybe.

The winner will get the rarest item i ever found. It is sure noone has anything like it. It's completely useless, but it's the ultimate bragging trophy at the convention.

Monarch
Defense: 0

Chance to Block: 42%
Smite Damage: 12 to 34
Required Strength: 156
Required Level: 54
Indestructible
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0x38583772
Socketed (1: 0 used)​

Last edited:
For you, Jae, I will enter. Do we reveal our superpowers and such now (as I already have much of this idea planned), or do we wait until a certain point?

BTW, if I were to win, I'd be tempted to haxx a Zod and throw it in that shield... just because. :rolleyes: Ofcourse, a plain Blanched Jewel would be fitting too.

@sirpoops. Well, to get this started, maybe you could allready post your superpowers allready. I'll make a chart for characters and progress.

Code:
[B][U]Forum name       Char. Name      Char type.      Grail item.      Nemesis.      Lvl.      Last WP.[/U][/B]
        |        |        |        |        |    |

Code:
[B][U]Forum name       Char. Name      Char type.      Grail item.      Nemesis.      Lvl.      Last WP.[/U][/B]
PancakeMan    |Arthur            |2H Zealot    |Grandfather    |OKs        |1    |

In an outpost of the Rogues, deep in the Moors, a child appeared outside the tent of Akara. She decided to raise the boy herself, and in doing so teach him the ancient and mysterious skill of wielding ethereal weapons, crafted by smiths of a higher plain.

Time passed, and as the boy grew he learned more and more of the art of fighting, learning from Rogues returning from the fight. He even began talking with the strange man from the East who showed up in camp each Autumn.
The man told him tales of far off lands, where a boy could study the ways of the ways of the Holy Paladin in the temples of Zakarum. The boy knew what his path was to be.

At the age of 15, he set off on a journey East with Warriv, traveling to the mystic land of Kurast. They first stopped at the Monastery to trade the year's supply of spices with the inhabitants, then continued on to Lut Gholein.
Here, for the months that Meshif was busy trading with the Sand Tribes, the boy learned the ways of the Mercenaries. He studied how they reached a state of mental calm before fighting, and how when they did so a dim ray of light emitted from them, in a physical manifestation of their thoughts.

The boy began playing a game with the mercenaries, hiding from them and following them around, only to jump out from the shadows and yell "Boo!" to try to scare them.
One day, he was playing this game, and decided to follow them all around town. They led him through the markets, around the Gate District, in and out of the tavern, and finally into the Palace.
By this time it was dark, and the boy crept up to a window to watch them.

They met with the Prince, the son-in-law of the King, who everyone knew coveted the throne.
After a long talk, the Prince departed, and the King appeared, bowing before the Mercenaries in greeting.

The Mercenaries stabbed him. They continued to do so, until the King lay still.

This was when the boy vowed never to hire a killer like them, never.

He was not the same on the boat to Kurast, but cheered up when he met the Priests of Kurast, and began his training.

Now, the world darkens, and who was once a boy is now a man. He stands in the village that was his home, ready to begin his quest.

Arthur will be a 2 handed Zealot, standard skill layout, but possibly with a few tweaks. As you said, he'll be twinked to the teeth, wielding some serious weaponry the whole time.
And since he is two handed, what blade is stronger than the fabled Grandfather?

If I win that shield, I will place it in the trophy case of the SPF, that I may preserve the story of one of the most generous players the SPF has ever known.

Code:
PancakeMan    |Arthur            |2H Zealot    |Grandfather    |OKs        |15    |Dark Wood

The sensei always told Arthur he had a gift, that his trikes were faster and more coordinated that the others, but Arthur didn't believe him.

Now, in camps overflowing with Fallen, he learns that this power, what some may call a superpower, emerges.
He strikes down his enemies faster and with a heavier weapon than anyone he has ever known.

He has been offered an ally in his quest, but he will not accept one. His only ally are his gadgets, shiny doodads that increase his already sizable power.

This is only the beginning, as soon he will meet the first great hurdle of his quest. For a demon lurks in the Monastery, and Arthur heads there as we speak.

Darkoooo said:
I would like to join this so much, but don't have time for it right now... Any idea when will you close it?
Hahahahaha, you know, you won't believe this, my friend from Lichtenstein visited me the other day, and I told him about Jae, he somehow managed to guess my account password name and read this thread. I really don't know why did he ask this question cause it clearly states the tournament ends on the last day of October, anyways my friend returned to Lichtenstein without apologizing, some friend eh?

Let me quote a well known member:

:dunce:

I feel like I should enter.

Code:
PancakeMan    |Arthur            |2H Zealot       |Grandfather       |OKs           |15       |Dark Wood
Jaago        |Blade        |Trang daggermancer|Tyrael's Might |Dolls          |1       |
        |        |           |           |           |       |

Blade was born in a bordello called Soho. He could've lived his life as a happy son-of-a-b*** bast*** just if his mother hadn't been bitten by a vampire when she was pregnant. Of course Blade is the one to bear all these consequences of his mother making out with any strangers by becoming a half-vampire. An ugly one to boot. For some strange reason he has become quite sarcastic by his nature. The curse he was blessed with made him an extraordinary sight in his youth and that's why all other life forms have forsaken him to everlasting solitude; even those moronic morons in Lut Gholein dare not go near him, not to even speak of any other helpful assistant. Actually, Blade is s disgusting that he can't even summon the minions he has been so fascinated about when he found an ancient tome leading him into the dark secrets of necromancy. Trying to become a powerful necromancer Blade soon discovered that his skills didn't lie in his spell casting either, but in his ability to handle knives and poisons.

At the age of fifty (not much for a long-living vampire) Blade sought to free himself from his misery. He wandered to harrogath and cast himself off from the highest cliff on all Arreat. But fate had chosen him another destiny. As Blade was reaching the ground beneath him, his fall was stopped by the Archangel Tyrael, who caught him from the fly and landed him softly on the ground. Blade could see that even the most benevolent being in the universe had to brace himself in order to even talk to Blade.
"I have a task for you, Blade," Tyrael said, "a task that will lead your path into redemption."
Blade wasn't in the mood for chit chatting. "Yeah, right. Get to the point, I have stuff to do, as you might have noticed," he said and started towards Mount Arreat again.
"You must kill the three Prime Evils," Tyrael said in a hurry.
It was the last thing Blade was expecting, it intrigued him. "Why me?"
"Umm... All others have, err, kind of died. You're our last hope." As Tyrael saw the disdain on Blade's face he quickly added: "You will be rewarded greatly. I will release you from your curse if you succeed. If you don't you will meet your end anyways."
"I might try it," Blade replied and with a smooth gesture he indicated that the discussion was over. He started walking.
"As you're already doing it, you could also look for my armor, I seem to have forgotten where I left it," Tyrael mumbled after him.
___

I will make Blade wear a full Trang-Oul's Avatar set and wield a dagger of some sort. He will use poison dagger as his main skill. His nemesis are those pesky undead dolls that are the doom of any fragile melee builds.

I think Blade's kryptonite will be other vampires so that he will have to remove his Trang-Oul's set (maybe excluding the belt) every time he enters an area that could spawn with vampires. I think it makes sense because vampires can see through him being only a half-vampire. He's gonna have fun in hell throne. If it becomes impossible I may consider some kind of equipment.

Oh btw, I seriously hope that finding the grail item isn't necessary to complete the superhero.

Jaago said:
Oh btw, I seriously hope that finding the grail item isn't necessary to complete the superhero.
Nah, that's not needed. Just added it so items drop are still a little relevant. Did i ever mention i like mf'ing?

~~~~announcement~~~~

Due to organisational problems the superheroes convention is now resceduled to the last day of November.

We apologize for any inconvinience.

-Jae

Code:
PancakeMan    |Arthur            |2H Zealot       |Grandfather       |OKs           |15       |Dark Wood
Jaago        |Blade        |Trang daggermancer|Tyrael's Might |Dolls          |1       |
poops        |CharlieCharger    | Chargadin        | Ravenfrost       | OKs       | 15    | Outer Cloister

I haven't come up with a good enough story yet, but I do know what I want for a cliff-hanger. It's going to be really hard to get the timing of the right screenshot, but it'll definitely provide drama.

As for his amazing feat, it will be a full-clear of the Chaos Sanc in Hell, on /players8, wearing nothing but his weapon and charms (and maybe a plain magic +dex/str amulet or ring if I need the help for equiping the weapon). Speaking of, the end game weapon will be:

Tomb Reaver
Cryptic Axe
Two-Hand Damage: 161 to 737
Durability: 20 of 65
Required Dexterity: 103
Required Strength: 165
Required Level: 84
Polearm Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 86
Fingerprint: 0x9ece245d
+390% Enhanced Damage
+2 to Maximum Damage
All Resistances +35
78% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+14 Life after each Kill
+4 to Light Radius
75% Increased Attack Speed
7% Faster Hit Recovery
214% Damage to Undead
+301 to Attack Rating against Undead
10% Reanimate As: Returned
Socketed (3: 3 used)

Edit: I should have made Torch of Iro his grail item, since I already found it. 👅

Oh, I forgot about my heroic deed.

I have decided upon what I shall do:

I will kill Hell Baal, maybe not the first time I get to him, but at some point, with my weapon being an un-up'ed Knemils Awl.

You know, that thing that is practically useless.

As for the cliffhnager it will be really cool.

Blade stood before the slain body of the Lord of Destruction wiping his dagger to the sleeve of his serpentskin armour. The dust created by smashed boulders was tickling his nose enough to cause him to sneeze. The realization hit him like thousand needles: It was the same sleeve where he had wiped the poisoned dagger. In a tremendous hurry he splashed his remaining antidote potion on his face. The pain didn't ruin his joy, though. Finally he'd be released from his vampiric curse. As he saw Tyrael descending from the Heavens, a grim grin grew on his face. With confident steps he walked towards the Archangel.
"I have accomplished this mission," Blade said, "It is time you fulfill your part."
"Oh, no," Tyrael replied, "This was just the beginning of you journey. You see, the Worldsone must be destroyed, which will cause a crack in the time-space continuum. It will throw you back to the Rogues' Camp where you journey began. Only by defeating Baal three times will you be able to do it for good. but be warned, you have only completed the easiest part of your task."

Blade's first thought was to carve Tyrael's heart out of his chest with his dagger and stomp it to a wet spot on the floor of the Worldstone Chamber, but he doubted there would be anything else but a rotting bag of sand maggot droppings there. Instead, he only said: "What are you waiting, then," murmuring some pretty clever obscenities with lower voice afterwards.

When Tyrael's sword shattered the Worldstone, Blade's journey flashed through in his eyes. He saw himself running out of the Rogues' Camp and smacking fallen with his puny dagger, cursing his puny damage. He could see that his journey was in the end very easy until the third level in the catacombs. There he had faced vampires. He had felt himself naked and powerless in their presence. Still, he had been able to push himself through them with the help of that intoxicating blue liquid Akara had sold him quite a bit. Killing Andariel hadn't been fun but he had managed to do it anyways.

Blade saw himself travelling through deserts in a caravan with some turban-wielding weirdo to Luth Gholein. The deserts hadn't caused him much trouble but In Arcane Sancutary and the Tomb of Tal Rasha he had again faced vampires. Recovering from those places had taken him many nights in Elzix's tavern, quaffing blues and reds alike like the taste hadn't mattered. After that ordeal, Duriel had been a cakewalk.

The dreads of Kurast jungles had left burnmarked images in Blade's mind. Hordes of small ratty men with knives and blowing dart pipes will probably haunt his memories forever. Blade also remembered how he met those undead dolls for the first time in the Flayer Dungeon. The way his blood rushed in his veins, his pupils shrinking and his muscles tensed pushed him into a frenzy that didn't calm until he had ripped apart their little bodies and spat on the remainders, laughing psychotically all the time. That was a thrill he enjoyed more than anything else, even more than the things he used to do alone in the dark. Anyways, the Law of the Jungle hadn't been easy on Blade, because he was preyed by the masses, possessing next to none crowd control. Also, vampires appeared once again. Temples in Kurast, Travincal and Durance of Hate made Blade think more than once if he had left his clothes to the docks. In fact he had. Killing p8 Mephisto half-naked was an experience he didn't want to have again.

In (normal) Hell Blade finally learned how to convey his hate into poisonous novas. That had been a lifesaver for him, because River of Flame had been nothing short of an explosive maggot/grotesque orgy. It had been very satisfying for Blade to see those pesky little critters at death's door. Chaos Sanctuary had taken some patience but it hadn't been too dangerous.

In Harrogath Blade finally had started to use Blackbog's Sharp cinquedas. The weapon had made everything so easy for him at first, but when he had gone to Larzuk to get it repaired he had experienced a shock of a lifetime.
"20 grand," Larzuk had said.
"20 grand? That's piracy, you obnoxious landlubber!"
"20 grand or you'll never see you dagger again. Did I mention how finely crafted it is?"
"I'd craft your gut with it for 20 grand. I'll pay you 2 grand."
"Look, I'll get this straight. 20 grand no more no less. It is no easy piece of gear to repair."
"Come on, I'm trying to save the world here and you're ripping me off with your repair costs."
"Doesn't make much difference to me whether you save the world or not if I starve to death, you know."
"Oh, screw it. Here's your money. But I say that I'm happy it wasn't more than 5 durability I lost with it."
"you be that."
That had been the toughest quarrel for Blade before the Throne of destruction and the Deadly Tedious Gang of Lister and Co. The had been long and drowsy, but it had shown that Blade had finally mastered his hit & run strategy nearly perfectly...

After an undetermined period of time Blade found himself lying in a ditch just beside the Rogue Encampment with a terrible headache.
"shouldn't have taken the purple one last night," he mumbled as he dragged himself towards his stash to gear up again.
___

Blade is now Slayer Blade. He will continue his journey through Nightmare difficulty from now on.

Code:
Jaago        |Blade        |Trang daggermancer|Tyrael's Might |Dolls          |46     |Nm Rogues' Camp
poops        |CharlieCharger    | Chargadin        | Ravenfrost       | OKs       | 15    | Outer Cloister

Code:
PancakeMan    |Arthur            |2H Zealot       |Grandfather       |OKs           |26       |Great Marsh
Jaago        |Blade        |Trang daggermancer|Tyrael's Might |Dolls          |46     |Nm Rogues' Camp

THREAD LIVES!!

Arthur is now up to level 26, and in the Great Marsh. Slow going since about mid-Act 2, the big hurty weapon is simply too slow to be effective in most situations. So far, though, he hasn't really had any problems.

I'm really looking forward to getting to do some Baal runs, or even Eldritch runs. Level 45 will start the fun, with my Cloudcrack, and level 53 will make it even better (Oath Balrog Blade.)

Im not sure if i can still join, But if i can i would like to join with a duel wielding Nats Claw Assasin. 2 Nats claws, Double the fun. And to beef it up a bit she will be using only tiger strike and Dragon tail.

If i can join ill get a proper theme going, however my basic idea is that she can go invisible (using full nats set for the ethereal set)

For my special dead i will try to kill the hell ancients without my claws ^^. Thus only fists. Crazy i know.. but ill give it a go.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High