[2006] Tournament of the Scavenger [by Wolron]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Migration finished :) I deleted the double posts of the original thread (anyone remember the squid?)

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by @Wolron on Feb 24, 2006. The last post was made Jul 15, 2006.
(link to original thread 1 on diabloii.net)

(link to original thread 2 on diabloii.net)
(link to original thread 3 on diabloii.net)

Tournament of the Scavenger

Tournament of the Scavenger

In the beginning, your character did not have an easy life. He was born in a time of poverty and his sole objective in life was survival. He learned from an early age to be on the lookout for implements to support that singular quest for survival. Over the years he had developed his keen eyes and his instincts to the point where simple survival was an objective that only lived in his memory. Now he is wealthy beyond the dreams of his peers.

But the need to search, the need to find, the need to utilize still burns at a fever pitch. Like an addict who cannot deny the needle or the pill, he pursues his pleasures in spite of all logic and common sense. For him this means traveling back to those days of poverty and survival. It means scrimping and saving and finding and using what is found to prevail against all odds! And then, when it appears that the time of need is again behind him, he repeats the denial and discards the newly found riches so that he can again bask in the pleasure of the hunt.

Of course, every now and then there is that special find. The sword or the belt that leaves him breathless, the boots with a feel and fit so pleasurable that they simply cannot be removed. The armor that not only protects, but also displays and augments the aura of power that its owner possesses. And so, he will not part with it...ever!

Welcome to the Tournament of the Scavenger.
The rules:
1. HC untwinked only.
2. No Multiplayer.
3. Version 1.10 or 1.11 allowed.
4. RWM is allowed, but no other mods.
5. Full clears are not required. However, since you are not allowed to repeat areas, it may be a good idea to visit all areas and clear them as much as possible. After all, you never know where that unresistible item may be hiding.
6. All Way Points must be activated.
7. All quests must be completed before you leave the Act. Imbue and socket quests cannot be saved for later, they must be used in their Act.
8. The Cow level must be completed at the end of each act. It should be considered as the last thing that you do in Act 5. This is an important consideration because you can use all the items that you have collected in Act 5 while you are slaughtering cows.
9. Choose any character type, use any skills.
10. Any Players setting may be used and it can be changed at any time.
11. Any mercenary may be used.
12. You may use any equipment that you find in the field.
13. You may use the equipment that you are given at the start as long as you want in Act 1.
14. ATMA cannot be used to expand your usable stash of equipment. However, ATMA can (and should) be used in two ways. First, you can establish an ATMA socket filler stash (look at it as a gem/rune/jewel bag). Your socket filler stash can be used to transfer socket fillers to and from the game. Second, you can mule off any items that you like for your own personal collection. But you cannot mule any items onto your character.
15. If you die, you may restart with a new character. However, you must try a different character class. That means that you can only enter seven times. In addition, each time you enter you get a two point penalty. That means that someone who dies once and reenters will begin with a score of -2.

Use of shops:
You are not allowed to sell anything at the shops except socket fillers (Jewels, gems of all types, runes). That means that you cannot scavenge expensive staves and accumulate wealth that way. In fact, you cannot even sell the spare potions that accumulate in your belt or backpack. After all, the scavenger has already done that and he is independently wealthy as a result. Now the pleasure is in the hunt!

You may gamble to your heart's content, and you can buy anything that you want. But where will you get enough gold? Your only source of gold is what you find in the field or the proceeds from those socket filler sales. It may be more sensible to use that gold for potions, scrolls and repairs. We have all experienced paying for mercenary resurrections at high levels (50,000 gold is a ballpark). It might be good to think about that early in this tournament!

Equipment:
Find, buy or gamble anything that you can. Develop yourself into a prime fighting machine on the strength of your keen eye and your luck. But, at the end of each act you must throw it all away!!! Well, almost all. At the end of each act, you must select an item (call it a souvenir) that you will treasure for the rest of the tournament from either your own equipment or your mercenary's equipment. That item must be worn proudly in the same slot, and never discarded: it must remain equipped for as long as your character lives. {NOTE: For the mercenary, this could be embarrassing if you fall in love with an Act 1 mercenary's bow (and make it your first souvenir) and then decide to hire an Act 3 mercenary later. That bow cannot be used and the Act 3 mercenary would have to go weaponless.}

You will perform this ritual in the following way: as your last action before moving to the next ACT, you will discard all items except the souvenirs that you have collected and the one new souvenir that you choose to keep from this Act. You can do this in one of two ways. You could just drop them on the ground and then "save and exit" and then return to the game in the new Act. Or, you could "save and exit", go to ATMA, stash all of your items (the gloves/belt/boots/helm/armor/rings/ amulet/weapon(s)/shield) except the souvenirs that you have accumulated . In any case, do not forget to also get rid of all extra items that you may have been holding in your stash and your backpack. NOTE: This does not include socket-fillers, charms, potions, scrolls/tomes, Horadric Cube, quest items. Finally, you may go to the next act and start scavenging again (or buying or gambling if you have been able to keep some of that hard sought gold and don't mind parting with it). Once you move on to the next act, you may never return to a completed act. {Since quest items can be taken with you, you may use Wirt's leg as a backup weapon at the start of each act!}
Depending upon your build, and what type of mercenary you use, you can have a maximum of 16 souvenir items. A mercenary may have as many as four (in the case of an Act 3 merc), and you may have as many as twelve (counting the weapon switch slots, if you use a one-handed weapon and shield in each). As you progress through the game, you will gain these souvenir treasures at a rate of one per Act.
Example: An Amazon that uses an Act 2 mercenary and a Bow in both hands will have 13 possible equipment locations to fill. She will add one permanent item per act. This means that she will head into NM difficulty with five permanent items already accounted for. She will head into Hell difficulty with ten permanent items. The last three of her items will be found during the first three acts in Hell. At the end of Act 3 she will have no items to discard because she will have no empty spaces left. She will then be able to replace an item during Act 4 of Hell and during Act 5 of Hell. These "replaced" items should also be counted in the scoring as outlined below.

Your task will be to develop a strategy that allows you to develop your character in spite of this interesting quirk that you have. That may mean purposely using the first few treasures for your mercenary. It may mean selecting items that can later be upgraded with sockets or with cube recipes. In most cases it will lead to frustrations later in the game as you find that really great item that you have always wanted to use, but unfortunately, you have already committed yourself to another item. Feel free to mule such a find off into ATMA, but you cannot mule anything onto your character.

Scoring:
WPs are worth 1 point each. (All of them, even the rogue's camp)
Quests are worth 2 points each
Subtract 1 point for each level (start with -1 point for this and +1 for the Rogue WP, which is zero to start!)
Add your scavenging bonus. Using the following point assignments, multiply by the Act that you assign the item in. Acts are numbered 1 through 15 for these purposes.
Example: If you take souvenir gloves in the first act, multiply the "gloves number of 2" by the act number of 1 (2X1) and add 2 to your score. If you take souvenir armor in the second act, multiply the "armor numbe of 1" by the "act number of 2" 1X2 and add 2 to your score. If you take a souvenir ring in the third act, multiply 3X3 and add 9 to your score. This goes on, act by act. If you save a ring for the last act of Hell, you would multiply 3X15 and add 45 to your score!

This is intended to provide some gamesmanship. The really important items have a low value and saving their position (you cannot save the item itself!) until later acts (to optimize their power) will not give you much scavenging bonus. You have to decide whether to take the high score or to take the high power.

Helm - 1 points
Armor - 1 points
Gloves - 2 points
Boots - 2 points
Belt - 2 points
Rings - 3 points
Amulet - 3 points
Weapon - 1 points
Shield - 1 points
All mercenary items - 3 points

Start Date: Now!
End Date: July 1st, or until there is no further interest which ever occurs first.

To enter, leave a post using the following format:
Forum          Character      Class       Level     Act            WP              Score
Wolron         Kirby          Assassin       1      A1   Rogue Camp  0

DEAD/RETIRED
Forum          Character      Class       Level     Act            WP              Score

I will enter the first post (unless someone beats me to it) and you should just be able to reply to it or which ever post has the most recent table. Add your score line and go to it!
Updates are required at the end of each Act. You may post your progress as often as you like, but since the end of the Act is such an important event in this tournament, you really need to provide a post at the end of each act using the following format:
Scintillating Amulet with +14 to all resistances (scored 9 points at the end of act 3)
A mercenary circlet with +24 magic find. (scored 6 points at the end of act 2)
A mercenary armor of Splint mail with 3 sockets waiting to be filled. (scored 3 points at end of act 1)
Her total scavenger points (27 points)
Her level is 45 (-45 points)
Her WPs activated are 40 (+40 points)
Her Quests completed are 27 (+54 points)
Total score: +76

Code:
ALIVE
Wolron         Kirby          Assassin       45      A1NM   Rogue Camp  76

DEAD/RETIRED
Skunkbelly       Poorsoul         Druid     39      A5   Ancients      51 RIP

When you die, your last entry will go into the DEAD/RETIRED list and will include "RIP" or "RTRD" right behind your final score.

Happy Hunting!!!

Last edited:
Packrat is Ready to Hunt

Wolron will enter as a Paladin by the name of Packrat. Packrat will probably specialize in Blessed Hammer and its synergies with a minor in Holy Bolt. He will probably live side-by-side with an Act 2 merc. The current thought is to use a scepter and shield in both weapon/switch.

Code:
[b][U][I]ALIVE[/I][/U][/b]
Forum          Character      Class       Level     Act   WP           Score
Wolron         Packrat        Paladin       1       A1    Rogue Camp     0

[B][I][U]DEAD/RETIRED[/U][/I][/B]

I have tons of work to do, I still have to do our taxes, I'm travelling a lot, my daughters are being challenging, and my wife is on the warpath about my D2 habit. Hell yes, I'll join into this one!

SirScrounge the Summoner has embarked on his questing for souvenirs. He actually began life last night, and honestly, I've never had such good luck in starting. In the Blood Moor, of course on p8, I found a 2 os cap and two chipped topazezez (whatever). Some fine rares followed. The Den was no match for his skellies, he even donned a hand axe with a chipped emerald as he laughed maniacally in the heat of battle. Blood Raven proved a greater challenge, never before have such heaps of undead poured forth from the Burial Grounds. To no avail, and she even dropped Hotspur Boots for his weary feet.

Mention was made of a fellow named Cain who needed rescuing from some birdcage, and that was handled in due course. SirScrounge kept running, and wearily stumbled to the Black Marsh WP before calling it a night and resting his minions. He is rather well-equipped given his current position in life. A fine blue ammy dropped, +26% GF and +13% MF, so gold is building up nicely, at least enough to cover potions and the occassional purchase/gamble. This is really going to be interesting early on, trying to decide what souvenirs to keep. May the Darkness grant him wisdom to choose wisely. I'll eventually be moving to an Act 2 Merc (of course) but for now my rogue is a fine companion.

Summoner SirScrounge and Aliza the Fire Rogue
lvl 15 = -15
3 quests x 2 = 6
5 WP = 5
Assignments = 0
Total Score = -4

Code:
Wolron         Packrat        Paladin       1       A1    Rogue Camp     0
Chumley669     SirScrounge    Necro        15       A1    Black Marsh   -4

Packrat was heading toward Blood Raven when Skunkbelly called to say that there was a new skunk on the way!!! So here I am in Skunkbelly's lair looking after the first little skunk. It may be a while before Packrat can continue on to Bloodraven.

Packrat Score

lvl 7 = -7
1 quests x 2 = 2
2 WP = 2
Assignments = 0
Total Score = -3

Code:
Wolron         Packrat        Paladin       7       A1    Cold Plains     -3
Chumley669     SirScrounge    Necro        15       A1    Black Marsh   -4

Shucks, this sounds fun! I know I should take an easier build, but I'm of a mind to play a Druid - summoner or windy TBD. Mayhaps with a bow; we'll see what sort of drop-karma I've established this week.

Code:
Wolron         Packrat        Paladin       7       A1    Cold Plains    -3
Chumley669     SirScrounge    Necro        15       A1    Black Marsh    -4
FoghornLeghorn FindrsKeeprs   Druid         1       A1    Rogue Camp      0 

Very nice ideea, count on me.
Code:
nommx          SlimShadow     Assassin      1       A1    Rogue Camp      0 

Congrats Wolron and Skunkbelly. :)

At first reading this seemed a little complex, but after a reread it's not so bad and very interesting, so I'm in for sure.

Let's see, there's a Pally, Necro, Druid, Assassin and Sorc. That leaves Barb and Zon (for diversity), so I'll go a Barb. Will update soon.

Just one clarification, whatever gold you have obtained from picking up gold piles and selling socket-fillers, you get to take forward to the next act right?

Butz. :dunce:

I reread the rules, and it as good as states you can keep the gold, however I do need clarity on something else.

You have to get rid of all equippable items except souvenirs before the next act and it states you can keep potions, scrolls, etc. My question is, can you keep your charms given that they aren't an equipable item?

Cheers,

Eek, 3 posts in a row. Sorry about that...damn edit timeout. :(

Ok, so I was getting towards the end of Act I and had absolutely nothing at all that I could even contemplate taking on to the next act. I hadn't started gambling yet and had saved up a little, so was almost relying on a decent gambled rare as a saving grace, when a chest in the Catacombs (on L2 I think from memory) popped this...pretty much taking the decision out of my hands.

Nagelring
Ring
Required Level: 7
Item Version: 1.10 Expansion
Item Level: 11
Fingerprint: 0x5787e87
+68 to Attack Rating
Magic Damage Reduced by 3
Attacker Takes Damage of 3
27% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Even though it's a "big-ticket" body location (a 3 multiplier) that would be nice to save to a later act, free MF at the start of every act is almost priceless.

Andy fell in due course without any issue, then I unequipped everything but the Nagel, dropped it all on the ground and headed across the desert. I managed to save a fair amount of money, as I spent most of Act I with a 30%GF ring, 29%GF ring and 20-something%GF grand charm that I dropped in the catacombs when I ran out of space. Will use most of it no doubt gambling/equipping in Act II.

Oh, a little more about the character. I mentioned it's a barb, but I've decided to go a thrower. Thrown weapons are pretty easy to come across and there's a nice variety of types usable by the one mastery.

At the end of Act I, he's L20 with 10 Throwing Mastery 1 in all available warcries so far (including Find Item, another thing I'm hoping to use to advantage), and the obvious leap attack.

Being a one-handed thrower, there are NO barb combat skills that add to my offense, which is a bit of a drag, but at least I will have plenty of skills to put into songs. I'm hoping to use Howl to good advantage, have lots of critters running away from me while I throw things at them. ;)

On to the required update:
A Nagelring (scored 3 points at end of act 1).

His total scavenger points (3 points)
His level is 20 (-20 points)
His WPs activated are 10 (10 points)
His Quests completed are 6 (12 points)
Total score: 5

Gold in stash: 39487.

Code:
Butzull        Seeker         Barbarian    20       A2    Lut Gholein     5

P.S. I've kept the charms going into Act II. If this is wrong I'll dump them as soon as I hear (preferably before heading into the sewers).

All gold and charms can be kept and taken to the next act. In fact, the only stuff you have to leave behind are the "wearable things". So, at the beginning of each act you will probably have plenty of potions, keys, scrolls, charms, gold. Well, plenty is an exaggeration! Remember, wirts leg can be kept for later, so it can be an early-act weapon!

Yes, it is very simple to begin with. The only real thing to be careful of is to not acquire gold by selling stuff (except for gems/jewels and runes). Then at the end of each act, the hard part will be picking an item that you have to wear forever. The scoring is a little complex with the scavenger bonus, but it has to be posted so I will check and make sure that everyone is doing it correctly.

Remember, you can use atma to stash socket fillers, but nothing else.

Have fun!

Code:
Skunkbelly     ScavengingSkunk Zon          1       A1    Rogue Camp      0

Just adding in Skunkbelly, who has switched to an amazon.

Code:
Chumley669     SirScrounge    Necro        18       A1    Jail Level 1   -4

SirScrounge got the gumption up to continue his way through life. The Black Marsh was breeze, including the crumbling Tower and the evil Countess within. He has heard that she drops magical rune stones that add power when socketed to items, and he anxiously searched her corpse. Hs reard? A single Eld...for a 1st kill! Sighing wearily, he ran with his minions to the Tamoe Highlands, clearing the Pits along the way. He found some septic replenishing javelins to use as a weapon to assist the skellies. Things going well, he ran into the Barracks, and was set upon by a huge fellow, The Smith! He fell quickly under the weight of the skellies. Retrieving the Malus, SirScrounge headed into the jail, with the intent of stopping for the night at the L1 WP. He found a Unique Necro wand, +1 all skills, right before stopping. This begins a quandary...it's very nice to have such an item, particularly early in his career. However, there are certainly better things out there. To keep or not after Andariel? This souvenir selection is not as easy as it may appear.

SirScrounge the Summoner
Level 18 = -18
WayPoints = 7
Quests 4 x 2 = 8
Assignments = 0
Total = -3

Code:
Chumley669     SirScrounge    Necro        18       A1    Jail Level 1   -3

SirScrounge got the gumption up to continue his way through life. The Black Marsh was breeze, including the crumbling Tower and the evil Countess within. He has heard that she drops magical rune stones that add power when socketed to items, and he anxiously searched her corpse. Hs reard? A single Eld...for a 1st kill! Sighing wearily, he ran with his minions to the Tamoe Highlands, clearing the Pits along the way. He found some septic replenishing javelins to use as a weapon to assist the skellies. Things going well, he ran into the Barracks, and was set upon by a huge fellow, The Smith! He fell quickly under the weight of the skellies. Retrieving the Malus, SirScrounge headed into the jail, with the intent of stopping for the night at the L1 WP. He found a Unique Necro wand, +1 all skills, right before stopping. This begins a quandary...it's very nice to have such an item, particularly early in his career. However, there are certainly better things out there. To keep or not after Andariel? This souvenir selection is not as easy as it may appear.

SirScrounge the Summoner
Level 18 = -18
WayPoints = 7
Quests 4 x 2 = 8
Assignments = 0
Total = -3

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High