[2006] Tournament of the Scavenger [by Wolron]

Tramp moves on to Act 4

Code:
Score   | Forum Name    | Character Name | Class    | Lvl | Act | Last WP |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
457      Skunkbelly      ScavengingSkunk  Zon         81   A5H   Crys. Passage
144{RIP} Wolron          Packrat          Paladin     58   A3NM   Kurast Docks
103      Butzull         Seeker           Barbarian   51   A2NM   Lut Gholein
61       Vang            Sloth            Barbarian   35   A5     Harrogath
54       Chumley669      SirScrounge      Necro       37   A5     Bloody Foothills
46{RIP}  Wolron          DeathFinder      Necro       32   A4     Pand. Fort.
41       Wolron          Tramp            Sorceress   31   A4     Pand. Fort.
24{RIP}  zatlaren        Blaen            Necro       28   A3     Kurast Docks
20       mnemonic        Nimradel         Sorceress   28   A3     Kurast Docks
4        nommx           SlimShadow       Assassin    20   A2     Lut Gholein
0        FoghornLeghorn  FindrsKeeprs     Druid        1   A1     Rogue Camp
-3       Docturnal       Carebear         Druid       17   A1     Jail lvl1

skunkbelly said:
Catch me if you can, Wolron :jig:
Tramp would feel good if she could just get to half of your score. In fact, beating Packrat's 144 seems a long way off.

I guess you will be getting a bundle of rejuve potions along with the better equipment. Yes, I think that the ScavengingSkunk will be #9! But, how many untwinked guardians? You may be missing a wonderful chance to break into that elite club!👅

Well, Tramp had a dilemma after killing Mephisto. She was actually glad that he dropped nothing good. The souvenir dilemma was this:
Nokozan Relic, Hawkmail unique armor, Loath Cowl Circlet with +1 to cold skills and +39%PoisonResist and +12%FireResist and +16Life.

Hawkmail was eliminated because it is not much better than a stealth armor. Nokozan was eliminated because I kept remembering that amulet that ScanvengingSkunk found :rolleyes: Thus, the circlet almost became her Act 3 Souvenir. Afterall, a socket will be added later and more resistance acquired.

Then I thought some more and decided that the fire resist advantage of the nokozan was just too good to pass up. Then... Well, then I stopped thinking and kept the relic!

ACT 1 Souvenir: Serpent Lord(Unique Long Staff) {1x1 = 1}
ACT 2 Souvenir: Large Shield with three sockets {2x1 = 2}
ACT 3 Souvenir: Nokozan Relic {3x3 = 9}
Score: -31(L) +28 (WP) +36 (18Q) -4(3rdtry) + 12 (Scav.)= 41

Good call to keep the Relic. That's a handy little amulet to have around.

I can still make Scavenging Skunk an untwinked guardian. For one thing, now that I've retired from the tournament, I can repeat areas, find some better gear, etc. I have a Thundergod's and a Metalgrid amulet to put on if I wish (and I do), and I can also do some reliable runs for more juvvies (maybe Countess runs, maybe Tristram... anywhere that isn't too hard, with lots of bosses hanging around). And best of all, I can gamble until I find some decent weapons. I can also do some more crafting. Finally, I'll need to get myself a Rhyme shield (since that silly Death's sash is going away fast). But that's all stuff I can easily do without twinking.

Eh, I'm still around, sitting at 43, getting ready to go into Niths temple and then the Baal. Just been a little busy with my none tournament character, but I'll get onto it shortly. Just My no finding luck isn't to nice to me, so I actually hork every corpse(lol, it takes a ton of time) so I just have to get motivated, but Skunkbelly, that is mighty impressive, I would be grateful to get to act5nm.

Unbelievable progress, Skunkbelly, and congrats on getting this far. I am interested in playing this tourney, RL has just gotten in the way lately...the downside of having children, I suppose. I've only played D2 twice in the past two weeks, and then only to dink around a bit. I'll pick it back up in a bit, though.

Tramp steps on Diablo's tail

Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
55       Wolron          Tramp            Sorceress   34   A5     Harrogath
54       Chumley669      SirScrounge      Necro       37   A5     Bloody Foothills

ACT 4 Souvenir: Soul Clasp (Heavy Belt) {4x2 = 8}
Score: -34(L) +31 (WP) +42 (21Q) -4(3rdtry) + 20 (Scav.)= 55

Zanarhi (Act 2 merc) did not take part in the defeat of Diablo. Tramp did it herself due to a lack of gold. Tramp is still playing on p8, but a combination of static field and Ice Blast did the trick. When Diable turned away to reposition himself, Tramp moved in and pinned his tail down. While he was thus indisposed, Tramp placed three static field charges where they would do the most damage. Then, as the frantic and maddened Diable turned to see what had just violated him, Tramp backed off and finished him with Ice Blast!

Zanarhi was finally resurrected after Tramp killed Diable and sold some useless socket fillers. Then it was time for the big decision. Prior to the Diablo drop, the only two possible Souvenirs were a single socketed ethereal halberd (merc weapon) and an ethereal splint mail (merc armor). Either of those could be improved through socketing or upgrading and considering that they were for the merc, that would be good enough. However, then Diablo dropped a Gorefoot Boots and an interesting belt. The Soul Clasp belt is not really so special, except it is particularly well designed for this tournament and this character. Here are its attributes:
+33 to life {always useful}
+62% defense {ho hum}
Attacker takes damage of 5 {every little bit helps}
+19% Cold Resist and +19% Lightning Resist {Exactly what this character needs to balance out because the Nokozan relic has taken care of fire resist!}
+55% Extra gold from monsters {Very helpful when you cannot sell anything except socket fillers!}

The other three possibilities will be easy to replace as Act 5 unfolds, but I doubt that I will ever find a better belt for Tramp. Later it can be upgraded to a battle belt to get a little more defense and the fourth tier of capacity (if tramp should live so long!).

OK, now it is time to move on to Harrogath and find a good item to socket! Maybe Zanarhi will find another ethereal armor or weapon! We shall see.

Code:
457      Skunkbelly      ScavengingSkunk  Zon         81   A5H   Crys. Passage retired
55       Wolron          Tramp            Sorceress   34   A5     Harrogath

Well, ScavengingSkunk retired, as I posted last week... but that doesn't mean he's resting on his laurels. ScaveningSkunk is hopefully on his way to becoming my first untwinked guardian.

After retiring, I immediately donned my Metalgrid amulet (the iron golem charges aren't being used, but the 30 resist all is very helpful) and the Thundergod's Vigor (my preciousss) that Mephisto dropped me. The one thing I muled in: a bunch of rejuvenation potions. If I'd been playing this character untwinked under my own rules, I would've been allowed to stash rejuvenation potions along with other items the character found.

Thus prepared, ScavengingSkunk went to the top of Mt. Arreat to do battle with the Ancients. It took several rolls to get a manageable group (the first four all had that lovely Fanaticism aura... eek), but finally a reasonable batch was spawned: only one LI, and no curses or auras. Although the fight took half a stash full of rejuvs, the Ancients fell with no casualties to the side of Good (not even my merc or valk). My job was mostly to shoot guided arrows from a distance, while the merc and valk tanked. I was pretty amazed, given how awful our equipment is, that we faired so well.

The Worldstone Keep was a tough battle, but I've found my way to the level 2 WP, and mapped out all of level 2. It's a long journey from the WP to the stairs to level 3, but on level 3 I had a terrific surprise: the stairs to the Throne could not possibly be any closer. I would've taken on Baal and his cronies tonight, but the second I entered the Throne two things happened: my entire party was instantly IM'd, and the entire screen lit up with Gloam-lightning. RUN! Back up the stairs we went, and back to town. It's been a long day, so fighting through the Worldstone Keep again isn't in the cards... but hopefully tomorrow afternoon or evening, ScaveningSkunk's labors will come to an end... one way or another!

Tramp Kills Baal and his clone

Code:
67       Wolron          Tramp            Sorceress   48   A1NM   Rogue's Camp

ACT 5 Souvenir: Dire Casque Tiara {5x1 = 5}
Score: -48(L) +40 (WP) +54 (27Q) -4(3rdtry) + 25 (Scav.)= 67

Zanarhi (Act 2 merc) actually survived the battle with Baal (P8). He consummed two of Tramp's Full Rejuv potions, but Tramp did not need them, so no harm done. Baal was a sucker for static field followed by blizzard and Ice Blast.

Then it was off to the pasture land and the hellish cows. They dropped a lot of gems and a Nokozan Relic, but Tramp already had one of those hanging around her neck. Thus, the souvenir desion came down to three items:

A Field Plate Stealth Armor for Tramp.
A Superior 4 socketed Gothic Plate Armor for Tramp.
A Dire Casque Circlet for Tramp. {+7STR, damaged reduced by 4, attacker takes damage of 9, +18 to all resist, +15 Fire Resist}

Well, Tramp realized that another better stealth armor would be fairly easy to come by, so that was eliminated from consideration.

Then there was that 4 socketed armor that her socket quest gave her. She had good jewels and runes that would have given her considerable resistance help, so that was a temptation.

Before making a decision, Tramp wondered whether or not that upgrade cube recipe would work with a circlet. Nothing in her books said anything about the four circlet types (Circlet, Coronet, Tiara, Diadem) being exceptional or elite. Well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Tramp brought out her perfect amethyst, her RAL and THUL runes and gave it a try. It worked! But there was just one little problem. The upgrade skipped over the Coronet and went all the way to Tiara. That meant that the minimum required level was 52. If that was not enough, the upgrade added +5 to level so the new Tiara had a combined level requirement of 57!

So, keep the Tiara and wait until the level increases from 48 to 57 (probably late in Nightmare Act3), or go with the 4 socketed armor. Tramp just loves a challenge, so the decision is to keep the Tiara in her stash and go without a helm until level 57. There will be better armors coming, but there may not be a better helm.

Tramp Succombs to the Smith in the Barracks

Code:
78{RIP}  Wolron          Tramp            Sorceress   50   A1NM   Outer Cloister

Score: -50(L) +45 (WP) +62 (31Q) -4(3rdtry) + 25 (Scav.)= 78

Tramp let the Smith get too close. Whump, she was dead.

Hmm, I wonder what character type will be my fourth try. Perhaps an Amazon.

Code:
457      Skunkbelly      ScavengingSkunk  Zon         81   A5H    Crys. Passage
**       Vang            Sloth            Barbarian   46   A1NM   Cold Plains
67       Wolron          Tramp            Sorceress   48   A1NM   Rogue's Camp

Sloth has defeated Baal, on the mighty /p1 settings! The cow king was slain and the Gods of diablo drops have cursed me once again. I was forced to spend 300k on gambling a good pike to give to my merc, as nothing dropped or was horked(amazing when you hork everything and still find nothing) gambled a rare pike with 40%ed and 80poison/over4, then I wasted my socket quest on that as well. Wow. What a pile, lol.

I have 15stat points and 6skill points waiting to be placed, hoping that something good drops giving me a hint of where I should procede. I have a mighty 1100 life, around 1200defense(defense merc +shout+ironshin) and roughly 50 resist all, thanks to a +12all and +14all GCs. I just cleared the den and activated the cold plains waypoint in NM.

Scavenged
Act1: Merc rare ring mail with nothing to note on useful mods: 3x1=3
Act2: Steel flail: 1x2=2
Act3: Merc Rare circlet with +20-29fire damage and 50pdover5sec: 3x3=9
Act4: Crafted Blood Gloves w/ 9%crushing blow and 3%lifeleech: 2x4=8
Act5: Rare pike for merc, what a pile: 3x5=15

Score:
Normal: 93
NM WP: 2
NM quest: 2
Level: -46
Scavenged: 37
Total: **

Vang and I had a near post experience, so I am entering my RIP again!

Code:
78{RIP}  Wolron          Tramp            Sorceress   50   A1NM   Outer Cloister

Score: -50(L) +45 (WP) +62 (31Q) -4(3rdtry) + 25 (Scav.)= 78

Tramp let the Smith get too close. Whump, she was dead.

Hmm, I wonder what character type will be my fourth try. Perhaps an Amazon.

Nothing of interest yet. No items worth keeping so I have to hope for a good drop or two.

Code:
-9       Wolron          RiverHunter      Amazon      16   A1     Black Marsh

Score: -16(L) +5 (WP) +8 (4Q) -6(4thtry) = -9

RiverHunter kills Andariel and moves on to Act 2 Normal

Well, there were no good drops. Except a couple useless uniques that an Amazon really cannot use for long. Therefore, I embued a javelin an will take that as my act 1 souvenir. It is not much of a javelin, but any javelin will due with the Lightning Fury attack. Besides, it is good to use low scavenger point items in the early acts so that you can use higher multipliers for the other items.

Act 1 Souvenir: Beast Scratch Javelin {1 x 1 = 1}
Score: -20(L) +10 (WP) +12 (6Q) -6(4thtry) + 1 scavenger point = -3

Code:
-3       Wolron          RiverHunter      Amazon      20   A2     Lut Gholein

Riverhunter is ready to go after the amulet for the staff of kings. She has nothing yet that even is close to a souvenir for Act 2. Her act 1 souvenir was nothing too, so much for luck.

Score: -24(L) +15 (WP) +17 (7Q) -6(4thtry) + 1 scavenger point = +3

Code:
3        Wolron          RiverHunter      Amazon      24   A2     Far Oasis

Riverhunter barely got past Duriel. No gold left and no merc. The decision to keep another javelin type weapon seems good. Any old javelin or spear will do for lightning fury. I hope Act 3 produces a decent item because the best I found so far was Unique bloodrise gloves. Not quite end game material!

Act 2 Souvenir: Sharp Short Spear of Worth {2 x 1 = 2}
Score: -26(L) +19 (WP) +24 (12Q) -6(4thtry) + 3 scavenger point = +14
Code:
14       Wolron          RiverHunter      Amazon      26   A3     Kurast Docks

Riverhunter simply could not get started in act 3 with no merc, no equipment and no gold. She finally withdrew.

Code:
14{RIP}  Wolron          RiverHunter      Amazon      26   A3     Kurast Docks

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High