[2006] Obsession Tournament [by Wolron]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Migration finished :)

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by @Wolron on Dec 26, 2006. The last post was made Jan 24, 2012.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

Obsession Tournament

Updated rules #424

Have you ever been obsessed with something (Diablo II perhaps)? An obsession can be overpowering. It can cause you to do things that you later regret. This tournament may become an obsession for you. No, strike that, this tournament is obsession. The basic idea is that you really have very little choice in what you do, except at the beginning when you select your obsessions. Here are the rules:

Your obsessions:
(1) At the beginning you select the character type that you are going to play. {Well, that is not so unusual!}

(2) Then you select a skill that you want to max out. You must put all points into:
- that skill (you must max it out)
- its prerequisites (only 1 point per prerequisite unless it is also a synergy!)
- its synergies (you must end up maxing out all synergies)
- the prerequisites of the synergies (Only 1 point per prerequisite unless it is also a synergy!).
Note: Even though this may result in investing skill points into several skills, only the obsession skill can actually be used!!!

When your first obsession skill and all its synergies are maxed, you select a second skill to max out. Your second skill must be from a different skill tree. Again, you must put all points into either that skill or one of its prerequisites (only one point per prerequisite!), and then max all of its synergies.

When your second skill and all its synergies are maxed, you select a third skill to max out. Your third skill must be from the unused skill tree. Again, you must put all points into either that skill or one of its prerequisites (only one point per prerequisite!), and then max all of its synergies.

When that skill and all its synergies are maxed, you are free to use any other skill points that you acquire in any way that you want:rolleyes: .

See the section on equipment to understand how skill obsessions impact your equipment.

(3) Then you select an attribute (Strength, Dexterity, Vitality, Energy). Every time you level up (or receive your reward of 5 points from Alkor in Kurast dock area), you must spend four of your five points in that attribute. The fifth point can go to any attribute of your choice. {even an obsession must have some limit!} See the section on equipment to understand how this impacts your equipment.

(4) Then you select an element (fire, cold, lightning or poison). See the section on equipment to understand how this impacts your equipment.

More on SKills:

Remember, the only skills that you are allowed to assign to the left or right buttons are your obsession skills (maximum of three, and maybe only one or two depending on how you select your obsession skills) and the simple attack or throw skills. If some of your prerequisites or synergies are passive skills, they will be used at all times.

WARNING: Think long and hard about your three skill obsessions and the order in which you take them. This is one of the keys to the tournament!!
NOTE: The sorceress mastery skills are to be considered synergies for their respective skill trees. Therefore, if your sorceress obsesses on a cold spell, she must maximize Cold Mastery, as well as any other synergies, before going to a second obsession.

Equipment:

You can acquire equipment by finding it in the field, buying it, gambling it or receiving it as a quest reward. However, you are only allowed to wear equipment, wield weapons, or carry charms that have a reference to one of your obsessions.

Therefore, there are three ways that a piece of equipment may be declared usable:
For the elemental obsession, your elemental word (either fire, cold, lightning or poison) must appear in the description of the item. One exception is that items with “resist all†are always usable.
For the attribute obsession, your attribute word (either strength, dexterity, vitality or energy) must appear in the description of the item. One exception is that items with “+ to all attributes†are always usable.
For the skill obsessions, the exact skill must be on the item as a skill mod or a Chance to Cast (CTC).

In addition, when you get to NM difficulty, you are limited to the following item types for all equipment:
- Any Set Items with some reference to one of your elemental obsessions.
- Any Unique Items with some reference to one of your elemental obsessions.
- Exceptional Items with some reference to one of your elemental obsessions.

Finally, if you get to Hell Difficulty, you are limited to Elite items and exceptional (or elite) set or unique items. Again, these items must have some reference to your elemental obsession.

It is perfectly allowable to socket an item with a gem or rune (or rune word) that results in an item that contains your elemental obsession. For instance, a Stealth Armor has +30 poison resist and would qualify if your obsession was Poison. Another example would be to use a chipped ruby in a weapon to get fire damage when your obsession is fire.
{Also, don’t forget upgrades and crafting.}

Mercenaries:
Any mercenary may be used, but you are not allowed to revisit previous acts to change mercenaries. The mercenaries must also conform to your obsession as far as their equipment is concerned.

Scoring:

One point for every way point that you activate (including the town way points).

Two points for every quest completed.

Five bonus points for completing a difficulty level wearing an equipment item in all slots (including the merc and the switch weapon!). The one exception is the shield. If you do use a shield, it must conform to the requirements, but a shield is not needed to receive the five point bonus. {Note: if your shield does meet the requirements then give yourself an extra point!!}

Ten bonus points if you complete a difficulty level having assigned all of your attribute points to your obsession attribute. That means that all five points would always be assigned to the single attribute of your obsession during all five acts of that difficulty level. {Note: you can collect this for NM without having collected it for normal difficulty}

Every time you max out an obsession skill (including all of its synergies), you receive 10 points.

Other basic rules:
1. HC only.
2. Version 1.11 and 1.11b are permitted. The Rune Word Module may be used.
3. No Multi-Player permitted. No trading permitted.
4. You may play on any players setting you wish, and change that setting as you see fit. Please do NOT engage in cheesy “kill monsters on players 1, open chests on players 8†tactics.
5. You may not use the escape key to bail out of a rough battle. If you cannot run away or portal out, RIP.
6. ATMA is permitted to extend your stash, but no items may be used except items that you find in this tournament, buy at stores or gamble in this tournament.
7. You do not have to solve all quests or activate all WPs. Of course, you won’t get the score points!
8. You are not allowed to rerun any areas. When you must quit and return later, do not abuse this necessity by picking up any items or opening any chests in the area that you may have to revisit to get to your previous stopping point. Kill whatever you must kill to stay alive!
9. You are not allowed to go back to previous acts or previous difficulty levels for any reason.
10. The tournament will begin immediately and continue until there are no posts for 30 days. At that point, the best score will be declared the winner.

Replays:

Replays are allowed, but you must select a new character type. That means that you are limited to 7 attempts.

Signing Up:

To sign up, enter a post that looks something like this:

Forum name: Wolron
Character Type: Barbarian
Character Name: Clobber
First Obsession Skill: Mace Mastery
Elemental Obsession: Fire
Attribute Obsession: Vitality

Required Posts:

Provide an update at the end of each act that includes level and any choice tidbits of information on how things are going. Begin by replying to the last post with the table in it. Erase everything before the table’s "Code" (in brackets) command and everything after the /code (in brackets) command. Update the table with your new score and location. Then include your new information in front of the table. It might look like this:
Georgia has completed Act 4 and killed Diablo. She is playing on P8 and using her original weapon (a simple Javelin) because she has not found a spear or javelin with the required Cold element of her obsession. Her best find so far was a three socketed large shield that she put three perfect diamonds in to get +57 resist all. Her first obsession skill (Jab) is at level 20. Her second obsession skill (Valkyrie) is at level 8.

Score:
31 Way Points: 31
21 Quests: 42
1 Obsession Skills maxed out: 5
Total Score is 78
[then the table will appear here]

You must post to announce your second and third skill obsessions as soon as you finish (max out) the previous skill obsession and all its synergies.

When you die or retire, notify via a final update.

A table is provided to facilitate your updates:

Code:
ALIVE
Character          Class             Forum Name    Level   Act       Last WP         Score
Trinity          Amazon         Wolron        36        A5         Harrogath       78

DEAD/RETIRED
Character          Class             Forum Name    Level   Act       Death Site         Score
Trinity           Assassin          Wolron         46        A5         Ancients          51 RIP

Last edited:
I intend to develop seven guardians in this tournament (or die trying!). Thus, I will begin with what I believe to be a rather easy choice. Not necessarily easy to succeed in, but at least easy to select a first skill. The mastery skills are available immediately and have no synergies that cause me to have to wait too long before starting on my second skill. Therefore, I will begin with mace mastery. Vitality is the way of the timid, and that is certainly me. Fire seems right, but cold is a temptation. Meet "Clobber":

Forum name: Wolron
Character Type: Barbarian
Character Name: Clobber
First Obsession Skill: Mace Mastery
Elemental Obsession: Fire

Code:
[b][U][I]ALIVE[/I][/U][/b]
Score Character      Class         Forum Name      Level  Act    WP
   1   Clobber        Barbarian     Wolron          18     A1     Rogue Camp       

[B][I][U]DEAD/RETIRED[/U][/I][/B]

I will definately be joining this, though I'm going to be thinking long and hard about what char and obsessions to pick before I do. I know it is possible to get to level 30 using nothing but prereq skills, but to do that under all the other restrictions in this tourney should be extremely difficult. Do you ever get to change your element and attribute obsessions? If no, I'm going to need to think of a char than can use an attribute other than vita or doesn't need good armor.

Forum name: Tartanasia
Character Type: Assasin
Character Name: HoldYourColour
First Obsession Skill: Lightning Sentry
Elemental Obsession: Lightning (duh)

Not sure if the tables a pilot or youve ahd a head start, I think its kinda unfair if youve ahd a head start TBO. Let the games begin, (im having a bad hc streak at the mo 55,16,20,23 all rip so lets hope this one lasts)

skoolbus said:
I will definately be joining this, though I'm going to be thinking long and hard about what char and obsessions to pick before I do. I know it is possible to get to level 30 using nothing but prereq skills, but to do that under all the other restrictions in this tourney should be extremely difficult. Do you ever get to change your element and attribute obsessions? If no, I'm going to need to think of a char than can use an attribute other than vita or doesn't need good armor.
You can never change your attribute or your elemental obsession. Remember, there are other ways to get strength if you pick vitality as your obsession attribute. Of course, one point out of every five can be spent as you like. In addition, + attribute items can be found. Good Luck!

Last edited:
tartanasia said:
Forum name: Tartanasia
Character Type: Assasin
Character Name: HoldYourColour
First Obsession Skill: Lightning Sentry
Elemental Obsession: Lightning (duh)

Not sure if the tables a pilot or youve ahd a head start, I think its kinda unfair if youve ahd a head start TBO. Let the games begin, (im having a bad hc streak at the mo 55,16,20,23 all rip so lets hope this one lasts)
I fixed that. The level 18 was left over from whatever table format I copied this table from. I am starting at level 1 like everyone else. But of course, it does help to start soon. Of course, that means that I will simply die with my first attempt sooner than others. :cry: I think that I will leave the forum now and actually see what playing this tournament is like:wink3:

Last edited:
I am just cleaning up the table a bit and adding those that have entered.

Code:
  1   Clobber        Barbarian     Wolron           1     A1     Rogue Camp       
  1   HoldYourColour Assassin      Tartanasia       1     A1     Rogue Camp

tartanasia said:
Starting gear, Should it be thrown on floor at start? So ur naked? Need a quick reply wanna start my char
You can use the starting gear, but not the skills on it unless you have that as your first obsession skill. Example is the fire skill staff that the sorceress receives. You can wield the staff, but you cannot use the skill unless it is your obsession.

then you must pick werewolf as your first one me thinks. Then go onto feral rage as your second. Quite simple.

I think im going to have to forefit also. Only obssesion skills to be used, which will mean none of the syenergies can be used. That means I cant use death sentry and thus will not enjoy playing this char. Secondly that means I should have chosen BoS first not lightning or even fade. Thirdly no re running areas = a big problem for me. I dislike full clears, I hate progress that takes forever, I am very impatient and I like rerunning areas for runes etc. This also effects me becuase i play like a perfectionist, I keep my tomes full at all time, only use mana potions when needed and like to keep my belt full. What Im getting at is a no rerun never being a no rerun You will always have to S and E and were you begin most of the time means re running. Being a perfectionist I will feel like im cheating every time I restart and I dont like the idea of that This is a very nice idea for a tourny and I got really excited when I saw a new hc nicely planned out tourny. Thing is Im looking for a tourny to start my hc wealth, thus moving me into hc rather than sc. This tourny doesnt allow that from what I can see. I wish other comeptitors the best of luck and I may rethink the tourny over night after I see a few other opnions. Other things that I didnt understand include the armour rules. Does it mean that if you can only equip set and unique going into hell, that you cant use runewords. I might have missread that wrong but either way may be something to take a look at.

Naab said:
What about the shapeshifting skills?Lets say i choose my first obsession feral rage,but i cant use it without shifting to wolf you know.
Good question. You would put one point in Werewolf. Then you would max out Feral rage. To use feral rage, you would have to use werewolf even though it is not an obsession skill. This is allowed.

A similar exception would be made for werebear and the skills used by werebear (Maul for instance).

You are correct in that you can only obsess on one skill in each tree.

tartanasia said:
then you must pick werewolf as your first one me thinks. Then go onto feral rage as your second. Quite simple.

I think im going to have to forefit also. Only obssesion skills to be used, which will mean none of the syenergies can be used. That means I cant use death sentry and thus will not enjoy playing this char. Secondly that means I should have chosen BoS first not lightning or even fade. Thirdly no re running areas = a big problem for me. I dislike full clears, I hate progress that takes forever, I am very impatient and I like rerunning areas for runes etc. This also effects me becuase i play like a perfectionist, I keep my tomes full at all time, only use mana potions when needed and like to keep my belt full. What Im getting at is a no rerun never being a no rerun You will always have to S and E and were you begin most of the time means re running. Being a perfectionist I will feel like im cheating every time I restart and I dont like the idea of that This is a very nice idea for a tourny and I got really excited when I saw a new hc nicely planned out tourny. Thing is Im looking for a tourny to start my hc wealth, thus moving me into hc rather than sc. This tourny doesnt allow that from what I can see. I wish other comeptitors the best of luck and I may rethink the tourny over night after I see a few other opnions. Other things that I didnt understand include the armour rules. Does it mean that if you can only equip set and unique going into hell, that you cant use runewords. I might have missread that wrong but either way may be something to take a look at.
The easiest comment to respond to is the armor question.

In NM you can use any item as long as it is exceptional. In addition, you can use any set or unique item. Of course, the items must have reference to one of your obsessions.

In Hell you can use any item as long as it is elite. In addition, you can use any set or unique item that is exceptional or elite. Again, they must have some reference to one of your obsessions.

To use a runeword item in NM, you would have to find a plain old socketed exceptional item (like a ghost armor) and apply the correct runes. "Presto" you have an item that you can use if it has reference to one of your obsessions.

To use a runeword item in Hell, you would have to find a plain old socketed elite item (like a Dusk Shroud) and apply the correct runes. "Presto" you have an item that you can use if it has reference to one of your obsessions.

As for the concern about death sentry: If you want to use it, make it your obsession. However, it has so many synergies that you could never use any other skill. A better selection might by Dragon Talon to get started. That will be maxed when you get to act 2. Then begin developing a shadow master. That would probably not be complete until well into Act 5. Then begin developing the death sentry. By the time you get to NM, it might be useful. I suspect that such an assassin would be a real challenge. But of course, that is what the tournament is all about.

As for the concern about rerunning areas: The reason for the prohibition is that some people are patient enough to invest hours into running a particular area for runes/equipment. Obviously if a person has that kind of patience, they could simply take forever to play their character and have a huge advantage over impatient people who cannot put up with that sort of boredom. In any event, saving/exiting and then coming back in at the nearest Waypoint is no problem. We have to do it all the time unless we decide to never eat/sleep/work/etc.

If you want to continue with a different character design, do so. Call it a mulligan!

Clobber has cleared the Cold Plains and is going to go through the underground passage in his quest to free Cain. He currently has every slot filled except the amulet and one ring. As a result, he has 74% fire resist. At this stage of the game, fire resist is the most common way for a fire obsession character to find usable equipment. Clobber's weapon will be enhanced by a chipped ruby that was recently found, but he has not found the right socketed club yet.

The early going is easy, but it will get rough soon enough.

Score:
2 Way Points: 2
2 Quests: 4

Total Score is 6

Code:
  6   Clobber        Barbarian     Wolron          11     A1     Cold Plains

Not sure how much devotion I will have to this, but it is highly creative.

Class: Assassin
Name: Clean_Hands
Skill Obsession: Claw Mastery
Element Obsession: Lightning
Stat Obsession: Vitality

Code:
ALIVE
  1   Clean_Hands    Assassin       JoeBruce        1     A1     Rogue Camp
DEAD/RETIRED

I'd like to join in as well. Just a quick question on the synergies. When I chose and obsession skill and it has multiple synergies, do I have to max out each synergy one at a time or in any order? Or can you spread out the points unitl they are all maxed out?

Class: Zon
Name: FoulKrack
Skill Obsession: Magic Arrow
Element Obsession: Lightning
Stat Obsession: Dexterity

Code:
ALIVE
  1   Clean_Hands    Assassin       JoeBruce        1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   FoulKrack      Zon           Saucy            1     A1     Rogue Camp
DEAD/RETIRED

Class: Paladin
Name: Ned
Skill Obsession: Charge
Stat Obsession: Strength
Element Obsession: Fire

... with Vigor as a Charge synergy from a different tree, I assume it's ok if I choose that as my second obsession skill? I understand that I'll need to max it and Might before I can use Vigor, but I just want to make sure that you don't find this too cheesy...

Also, the unable to re-run areas rule kindof sucks for non-cookie cutters - I would have thought that sticking with the tourney theme, each character can pick one (and only one) monster that they can run - but if you do, you must perform some ridiculous number of runs (200, 500, etc.) and you can't quest beyond that until the runs are completed... :evil:

Code:
ALIVE
  1   Clean_Hands    Assassin      JoeBruce         1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   FoulKrack      Zon           Saucy            1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Ned            Paladin       'poops           1     A1     Rogue Camp
DEAD/RETIRED

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium