[2006] Obsession Tournament [by Wolron]

moiselvus said:
Killed andy, I actually expected a bit more from her ... lowered player setting there and did andy at p1.
Well, If you killed her on /p1 I would not expect too much :p

Gratz on the progress though, but in my experience rusing trough areas is a bad idea in hc, my ama almost got stabbed down in the flayerjungle last night when I looked for the wp :p

Last edited:
zarfen said:
Well, If you killed her on /p1 I would not expect too much :p

Gratz on the progress though, but in my experience rusing trough areas is a bad idea in hc, my ama almost got stabbed down in the flayerjungle last night when I looked for the wp :p
yes, i know, but as I really did low damage, i didn't want higher settings, i mean having to fight andy for half an hour extra for a bit of exp... about the not rushing, I know, but I really hated, and i was actually fighting a bosspack that killed my merc when i decided to flee from them, as i cant kill without a merc (should have gone dex rather than vita...) and when i was fleeing already, i just kept on running, and i was like: "if something gets my 370+ hp in a sec now, they deserve it..." of course I'm very happy nothing came even close to killing me...
BTW: I won't try that kind of things again now though, it is getting more and more likely to get killed while doing such a thing as I progress ^^

~moiselvus

EDIT: @wolron, I just checked the amazon forum, and saw there that it was you who made a weaponless tankazon to gardian (actually baal fell to your weapon) so I was wondering: could it be done without a decoy, if your merc can carry a weapon? If not I'll find out eventually, but what do you think?

Last edited:
Nerullan reached the Kurast Docks. At the beginning of the fight with Duriel, I almost immediately lost two skeletons, so I thought I would have to townportal out and raise some new ones, but oddly enough, those two were the only ones I lost. I've hardly gambled at all so far, have instead been looking for very good wands, with no luck, nevertheless, I really didn't feel like staying in act II just to have access to Drognan. (Ormus seems to sell only magical ones, which can be good, but I'd like the +3 skeleton mastery/+3 raise skeleton/+3 something white or grey one to make a runeword)

I must add that I'm surprised to see that BrassMonkey is even higher level at the same point, but then, I did not do full clears. I did start on the false tombs, but after two had enough and went to the real one.

Furthermore, I had my first NDE, I know The Summoner tends to deal a lot of damage and have very little life, but I was surprised to see my red bulb dropping some thirtyfive percent by his glacial spikes, especially with a lot of life. Luckily my potion reflex was good enough, I would not have survived a third one hitting. In one of the tombs I managed to maneuver myself into a nasty position, but I still managed to get back through a doorway behind my army. Even though my life had yet to start to drop, I expected deeds there, seeing quite a few burning dead coming towards me with a few unravelers spread in the room and thinking that the entrance/exit to the room, where my army was doing battle with more burning dead, was blocked by them. At least that made me more careful, raising more skellies to prevent the unravelers from raising instead of running through the doorway to lead my army.

Score:
wp's: 19
quests: 12 *2 = 24
total 43

Code:
ALIVE
Score  Character     Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP
108   Paul           Druid       Naab               46     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
 83   Clobber        Barbarian   Wolron             35     A5     Harrogath
 50   VitaForTheWeak Amazon      Zarfen             20     A3     Flayer dungeon 
 43   BrassMonkey    Paladin     waflob             28     A3     Kurast Docks
 43   Nerullan       Necromancer Sir Lister of Smeg 26     A2     Kurast Docks
 32   PosadnutaAma   Amazon      Kugel              20     A2     Lut Gholein
 22   Karmesha       Amazon      moiselvus          20     A2     Lut gholein
 22   Scorn          Druid       Spatacula          20     A2     Lut Gholein
 22   Ned            Paladin     'poops             19     A2     Lut Gholein
 21   OneTrackSkunk  Necro       Skunkbelly         19     A2     Lut Gholein
 20   mad_hatter     Amazon      skoolbus           19     A2     Lut Gholein
 14   ObsessDeeds    Amazon      EJB                18     A1     Outer Clouister
 13   Bearly_Skilled Druid       Saucy              16     A1     Black Marsh
  7   Obsessive      Assassin    OneFromBeyond      12     A1     Stony Field
  5   LiliVon        Sorceress   TrubbaNot          11     A1     Cold Plains
  1   HoldYourColour Assassin    Tartanasia          1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Clean_Hands    Assassin    JoeBruce            1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Infraction     Paladin     PsychoPath          1     A1     Rogue Camp
  1   Conny          Paladin     Docturnal           1     A1     Rogue Camp
 14   ObsessDeeds    Amazon      EJB                18     A1     Outer Clouister

DEAD/RETIRED
Score Character      Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP
 59   OCD            Paladin     pwangsta           30     A3     Durance L2
 32   FoulKrack      Amazon      Saucy              20     A2     Lost City
 23   Ungar          Barbarian   pwangsta           19     A2     Sewers L2 
 14   StaticBabe     Sorceress   Quickdeath         17     A1     Outer Cloister

OBSESSIONS
Character      C.Type    Element   Attribute  Skill 1      Skill 2     Skill 3
BrassMonkey    Paladin     
Clean_Hands    Assassin    
Clobber        Barb      Fire      Vitality   Mace Mast    Berzerk     ?   
Conny          Paladin     
FoulKrack      Zon         
HoldYourColour Assassin    
Infraction     Paladin      
Karmesha       Amazon    Lightning Vitality   Valkyrie     -           -  
LiliVon        Sorceress  Fire     Vitality   Blaze        -           -
Mad_hatter     Amazon      
Ned            Paladin   Fire      Strength   Charge
Nerullan       Necro     Poison    Vitality   Raise Skel   ?           ?
ObsessDeeds    Amazon    Lightning Dexterity  Multishot    -           -
Obsessive      Assassin  Lightning Vitality   Dragon Talon ?           ?
OCD            Paladin   Lightning Vitality   Holy Shock   ?           ? 
OneTrackSkunk  Necro   Poison   Dexterity   Skeletal Mage
Paul           Druid    
VitaForTheWea  Amazon    Lightning  Dexterity  Magic Arrow   Valkyrie   -

moiselvus said:
EDIT: @wolron, I just checked the amazon forum, and saw there that it was you who made a weaponless tankazon to gardian (actually baal fell to your weapon) so I was wondering: could it be done without a decoy, if your merc can carry a weapon? If not I'll find out eventually, but what do you think?
My merc was an Act 3 Iron Wolf with cold spells. The fact that he did not have a weapon was not a problem. Could an Act 2 merc be an improvement? Maybe, but the Valkyrie was the physical damage expert who confronted the opposition. The cold merc could freeze most of the opposition and even do some damage.

The decoy was extremely helpful. She was maxed out so she did not need replaced often. I used her to keep a few monsters busy and out of the way. It would not be unusual to place her two or three times to get the right positioning.

I believe that the biggest help would be to have the Amazon wield a good bow. I will be trying that when I play an AMazon in this tournament. I just have not decided on exactly how to sequence the obsession skills. I also would want to obsess on Dexterity instead of vitality. That is scary.

I believe the AMazon could guardian in this tournament with the right bow and with a lot of patilence.

Last edited:
Clobber has finished Normal Difficulty playing on P8 all the way except Diablo and the Ancients. There was one monster that had to be parked (Frozenstein in the ANya quest), otherwise, full clears and a lot of experience. He finished at level 48 and is about half way to 49. I will take him through the cows, but that won't help the level much.

He will not be fully clothed at the beginning of NM, but he will be wearing helm, torso armor, gloves and boots along with his jewelry. He has been using a cudgel in normal difficulty, so he will keep that for a while also. That means that he needs a shield, a belt, a merc sword, a merc armor, a merc helm (Iron Wolf cold merc), and his bow on weapon switch. But that is what makes this tournament fun, there is always a need to be filled.

Clobber's Normal Difficulty equipment looked like this:

Gemmed Fanged Helm
Defense: 15 +8 to Dexterity; +1 to Minimum Damage; +20 poison damage over 2 seconds; +1 to Throwing Mastery (Barbarian Only); +1 to Mace Mastery (Barbarian Only); +2 to Sword Mastery (Barbarian Only)
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Rune Smasher Cudgel
One-Hand Damage: 11 to 29; +24% Enhanced Damage; +23 to Attack Rating; +4 to Minimum Damage; +3 to Maximum Damage; Adds 15-20 fire damage; Adds 2-54 lightning damage; 150% Damage to Undead
Socketed (2: 2 used)

Storm Pelt Splint Mail
Defense: 121; +5 to Life; +27% Enhanced Defense; Fire Resist +7%; Lightning Resist +25%; 24% Faster Hit Recovery; 12% Chance to cast Level 4 Charged Bolt when struck

Gemmed Kite Shield
Defense: 18; Chance to Block: 33%; Fire Resist +19%; Lightning Resist +19%; Cold Resist +59%; Poison Resist +59%; Socketed (3: 3 used)

Dread Grasp Leather Gloves
Defense: 4; +2 to Dex; +13% Enh Def; Fire Resist +23%; Cold Resist +29%;

Spirit Winding Plated Belt
Defense: 10; +28 to Life; Fire Resist +8%; Poison Resist +9%; Replenish Life +5; +1 to Light Radius

Plague Shank Greaves
Defense: 20; +29% Enh Def; Fire Resist +10%; Poison Resist +10%; 10% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items; 20% Faster Run/Walk; Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds

Rainbow Amulet of the Sentinel; Magic Damage Reduced by 2; All Resist +10

Corruption Whorl Ring; +17 to AR; Fire Resist +9%; 4% Life stolen per hit; 7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Corruption Coil Ring; +7 to Life; +93 to AR; +1 to Max Damage; Fire Resist +15%; Lightning Resist +6%; 3% Life stolen per hit

Switch Weapon:
Gemmed Long Bow
Two-Hand Damage: 3 to 18; +13 to Mana; +8 to Maximum Damage; Adds 8-12 fire damage; +20 poison damage over 2 seconds; Socketed (3: 3 used)

Merc Equipment (Iron Wolf Act 3 Cold Merc):
Stone Crest Crown:
Defense: 67; +2 to Energy; +47% Enh Def; +30 to AR; Fire Resist +11%; Lightning Resist +25%; +3 to Light Radius; 12% CTC Level 4 Charged Bolt when struck

Russet Field Plate of Equilibrium:
Defense: 103; Fire Resist +12%; 17% Faster Hit Recovery

Long Sword of Flame: One-Hand Damage: 3 to 19; Adds 1-4 fire damage

Bverrit Keep Unique Tower Shield:
Defense: 82; Chance to Block: 59%; +5 to Strength; +100% Enh Def; +10% Increased Chance of Blocking; +30 Defense; Magic Damage Reduced by 5; Fire Resist +75%; +96 Maximum Durability

Score:
39 way points: 39
27 quests: 54
1 obsession skill maxed out: 10
Fully equipped at the end of normal difficulty: 5
Total Score is 108

Code:
ALIVE
108   Paul           Druid       Naab               46     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
108   Clobber        Barbarian   Wolron             48     A1NM   Rogue Encampment
 22   Karmesha       Amazon      moiselvus          20     A2     Lut gholein

DEAD/RETIRED

OBSESSIONS
BrassMonkey    Paladin     
Clean_Hands    Assassin    
Conny          Paladin     
FoulKrack      Zon         
HoldYourColour Assassin    
Infraction     Paladin      
Mad_hatter     Amazon      
Paul           Druid    

I am sitting at work right now bored out of my mind, well being able to read the forum posts makes it much more bareable. But anyway, nice work on the completion. On your previous post, going a route besides vitality is helpful, especially for use of other items, killing speed, etc. But in my case, not having the vitality early on is killing me. I have been unable to locate any useful items at the moment to boost it, making progress very slow due to having to be very cautious. Any pack of uniques and minions sends me running for cover until I can slowly kill them one by one. Very careful of extra strong ones. I am putting money down that I will be done with my Druid at Duriel for sure. If I beat him it will be a miracle, oh well I already have some ideas for my next one.

Killed radament, and took the wp, so thats 3 points more :)
I've found that my new merc kills way faster than my old one, altough that probably has something to do with the fact that he doesn't run awayevery time he stabs something ^^
got dodge at 12, and avoid at 5, dodge is at the level I want it, avoid must go two levels higher, and evade needs 12 levels, cause i want all three of them at 50%, that gives me reasonable dodging skills, while my valk can be damaging and she can have a good amount of life:laugh:
~moiselvus

Code:
ALIVE
108   Clobber        Barbarian   Wolron             48     A1NM   Rogue Encampment
 25   Karmesha       Amazon      moiselvus          21     A2     sewers lvl 2

DEAD/RETIRED

OBSESSIONS
BrassMonkey    Paladin     
Clean_Hands    Assassin    
Conny          Paladin     
FoulKrack      Zon         
HoldYourColour Assassin    
Infraction     Paladin      
Mad_hatter     Amazon      
Paul           Druid    

Just a little update here. Doing quite nicely in act 2... found the cube and killed Radament. Using a wand right now with bonuses to skeleton mastery and skeletal mages (just one each), so I'm not attacking *at all*. Boring, but it's working so far... and it's easy to eat a piece of cake or something while I play :cool: Not sure I'll be able to get past Diablo with this build, but so far it's fun... if I die early, I might have to try another mage-o-mancer on my own.

Code:
ALIVE
 29   OneTrackSkunk  Necro       Skunkbelly         21     A2     Dry Hills

DEAD/RETIRED

OBSESSIONS
BrassMonkey    Paladin     
Clean_Hands    Assassin    
Conny          Paladin     
FoulKrack      Zon         
HoldYourColour Assassin    
Infraction     Paladin      
Mad_hatter     Amazon      
Paul           Druid    

Code:
ALIVE
108   Clobber        Barbarian   Wolron             48     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
  1   Mercury        Amazon      Mursilis            1     A1     Rogue Camp

DEAD/RETIRED

OBSESSIONS
BrassMonkey    Paladin     
Clean_Hands    Assassin    
Conny          Paladin     
FoulKrack      Zon         
HoldYourColour Assassin    
Infraction     Paladin      
LiliVon        Sorceress Fire      Vitality   Blaze        -           -
Mad_hatter     Amazon      
OneTrackSkunk  Necro     Poison    Dexterity  Skeletal Mage
Paul           Druid    
VitaForTheWea  Amazon    Lightning  Dexterity Magic Arrow  Valkyrie    - 
Mercury        Amazon    Lightning  Vitality  Plague Javalin

I think I'll join this tournament. Not sure how long I'll last as it will be a new build for me, but should be fun either way.

Forum Name: Mursilis
Character Type: Amazon
Character Name: Mercury
First Obsession Skill: Plague Javalin
Elemental Obsession: Lightning
Attribute Obsession: Vitality

Code:
[highlight]ALIVE[/highlight]
[U]Score Character      Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP      [/U]
108   Clobber        Barbarian   Wolron             48     A1 NM  Rogue Encampment
 14   Mercury        Amazon      Mursilis           16     A1     Outer Cloister

[highlight]DEAD/RETIRED[/highlight]
[U]Score Character      Class       Forum Name        Level   Act    WP      [/U]

[highlight]OBSESSIONS[/highlight]
[U]Character      C.Type    Element   Attribute  Skill 1      Skill 2     Skill 3[/U]
BrassMonkey    Paladin     
Clean_Hands    Assassin    
Conny          Paladin     
FoulKrack      Zon         
HoldYourColour Assassin    
Infraction     Paladin      
Mad_hatter     Amazon      
Paul           Druid    

A little late to edit my last post, so here we go...

Mercury has had an interesting time. Not so much in NDEs, but in the fact that her mercenary does 10 times more damage than she does. So she's acting basically like a mobile decoy. Unfortunately a decoy that still hasn't found a piece of armor she (or her mercenary) can wear yet :undecided:

Nor for that matter a new set of javalins. But that doesn't matter at the moment as she is only level 16 so can't use her first obsession skill anyway, so it's purely normal attacks up to this point. Going to have to find some way to level 2 times in order to have something to use again Andariel, or this will be a very quick tournament.

Edit: Edited the table slightly if no on minds, was a bit hard to follow.

Code:
  1   Undertow       Necro       Spatacula           1     A1     Rogue Camp 

[U]Character      C.Type    Element   Attribute  Skill 1      Skill 2     Skill 3[/U]
BrassMonkey    Paladin     
Clean_Hands    Assassin    
Conny          Paladin     
FoulKrack      Zon         
HoldYourColour Assassin    
Infraction     Paladin      
Mad_hatter     Amazon      
Paul           Druid    
Undertow       Necro     Fire      Vitality   Iron Maiden

Argh, I lost my own bet. I am sad to report that deed's have been done for Scorn. Didn't even get close to making it to Duriel. Kind of glad, so I can start from scratch. Scorn met his demise just outside of Lut to a unique Scarab Beatle that was extra strong. My merc decided to tank him and all the other minions. Sent waves of lightning at my zero lightning resist wolf. Before I could even react life bulb was gone in an instant. I had a strong feeling that would happen but my own carefulness doesn't help my merc from running into battle sending swarms of beatles running at me. Oh well, what can I say.

Anyways I am adding a new one to bottom of the list

Character Name: Undertow
Class: Necro
Skill: Iron Maiden
Attibute: Vita
Element: Fire

I know that this is going to be a difficult one at the beginning but I am praying that it will pay dividends in the end. Hopefully I will find some nice resist items in act 1. If not I may be at square one again....yeah right.

Code:
 27   Ned            Paladin     'poops             23     A2     Dry Hills/Hall of Dead

BrassMonkey    Paladin     
Clean_Hands    Assassin    
Conny          Paladin     
FoulKrack      Zon         
HoldYourColour Assassin    
Infraction     Paladin      
Mad_hatter     Amazon      
Paul           Druid    

So far, so good. No real NDE's yet in Act2, as I've let my merc do 90% of the work so far; those beetles do hurt, as Spatacula found out.

Full clears so far, mostly /p7 (or /p5 for areas with lower-leech, like the sewers). I just got the cube, and managed to upgrade my few chipped skulls, and added them to my 3-socket / +2-Charge mace/scepter/thingie. I now have 5%L/3%M leech, and do ~115 average damage per charge (~35 normal attack), so my leech should hopefully be noticable now (I haven't tested it yet).

I also found the Berserker's helm as my second set item, and the first one I can use, which was a nice upgrade for my merc, and managed to score a pair of gloves with FireRes and a whopping 7% MF. I expect that'll make all the difference now :rolleyes:... I still need a second ring, but I'm hoping it'll be a Cathan's when it comes...

Code:
 27   Ned            Paladin     'poops             23     A2     Dry Hills/Hall of Dead

19   ObsessDeeds    Amazon      EJB                19     A1     Cat LvL 2

BrassMonkey    Paladin     
Clean_Hands    Assassin    
Conny          Paladin     
FoulKrack      Zon         
HoldYourColour Assassin    
Infraction     Paladin      
Mad_hatter     Amazon      
Paul           Druid    

Well, ObsessDeeds met her deeds from Andy. My poison resist was only what you get from the Antidote
potions, that and I only had 125 or so life. Was fun while it lasted...not as long as I thought
she could go.
GL all

EJB

EJB said:
Well, ObsessDeeds met her deeds from Andy. My poison resist was only what you get from the Antidote
potions, that and I only had 125 or so life. Was fun while it lasted...not as long as I thought
she could go.
GL all

EJB
Sorry to hear about ObsessDeeds.

I am thinking about trying an Amazon and was going to do about the same plan that you tried. I was worried about the vitality, but dexterity seems so important for the bow requirements. Maybe I will have to rethink that. It may be possible to play an Amazon with very little strength and moderate dexterity. I think I will try that soon.

Wolron said:
That is true, however, there are a lot of items that have a strength requirement mentioned in their description, and there are many items that have a dexterity requirement mentioned. That makes it easy to wear those items!!!!
I didn't really think about that, but the initial impression is that it is a bit 'contrived'. I'm not going to argue semantics with your tournament, but I sort of expected to see the rule being that the item had to benefit the attribute, not just be mentioned as a requirement. I hope this makes sense ...

Looking at this in this light, I would be allowed to wear an item that had ctc chain lightning, or lightning bolt, as the word 'lightning' appears. Or not ? Up until now I've been dumping gear like this, but now I'm not so sure ...

DelBoy

I think the downsides of choosing strength or dexterity easily make up for the loophole. No vitality is a hard row to hoe for almost all characters in HC. My dexterity-obsessed necro is learning that the hard way... almost anything that hits him cuts his life bulb in half. (On the plus side, he has maxed block!)

And yes, the way the rules are currently written, your ctc "lightning" gear would be permitted. The word "lightning" is in there, after all.

waflob said:
I didn't really think about that, but the initial impression is that it is a bit 'contrived'. I'm not going to argue semantics with your tournament, but I sort of expected to see the rule being that the item had to benefit the attribute, not just be mentioned as a requirement. I hope this makes sense ...

Looking at this in this light, I would be allowed to wear an item that had ctc chain lightning, or lightning bolt, as the word 'lightning' appears. Or not ? Up until now I've been dumping gear like this, but now I'm not so sure ...

DelBoy
it's been said in the thread, you can use those items...
As for the requirement thing, I myself find that quite strange, I mean: you're being so obsessive that you must have a requirement?:prop:
ofc. that doesn't even matter for me as there aren't any items that require vita :laugh:
~moiselvus

skunkbelly said:
And yes, the way the rules are currently written, your ctc "lightning" gear would be permitted. The word "lightning" is in there, after all.
Sounds just like the 'Six of One, Half Dozen of the Other' tournament rule where a factor of 6 had to be somewhere in the item description 😁 I hadn't thought about it that way before...

Ya my pal in his 2nd weapon slot has a scepter with 1 to fire resist (and fire is my obsession) so that fills that slot. I'm hoping to get a more decent weapon (found a 2 socketed scepter with 1 to might of which i socketed a ruby and a sapphire). Been doing much gambling and doing full clears on p8. I'll post my info in the code once I get home, or maybe sometime next week.

Ok Im re entering, again with an assasin but with a slightly different build.

Forum name: Tartanasia
Character Type: Assasin
Character Name: HoldYourcolour
First Obsession Skill: Burst Of Speed
Elemental Obsession: Ice
Attribute Obsession: Vitality

Blader sassy rofl should be a laugh

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High