[2005] The Zod tourney [by farting bob]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by farting bob on Feb 28, 2005. The last post was made Apr 26, 2005.
(
link to original thread on diabloii.net)

The Zod tourney - sign up for the tournament with a truely godly prize!

So it has come to this. Ive been wondering what to do with my zod, at this rate it'll just gather virtual dust in my stash. So i need to off load it now.
The best, fairest way to do this is with a tourney. And im not talking about a normal style tournament. No, im thinking mean, punishing, near-impossible tourney. I figured you guys can suffer a bit for this one.

The rules
  • You must be HC.
  • You must be a melee build.
  • You must all use the same kind of weapon from start to finish...
  • The weapon is a personal favourite of mine...
  • Yes, it's wirt's leg.:cool:
  • You must not twink.
  • You must not MP.
  • You must complete every quest in an act before moving onto the next one.
  • You must get every waypoint on the way, not in any order, but you need all of them before moving onto the next act.
  • You may not use any charms at any time.
  • You may mule off, not on.
  • You may begin again if your character dies in normal, but once baal is dead is dead, there is no restarting. no points can be carried over from dead characters.
The scoring

• for every act completed, you recieve 5 points
  • You must remain in these level bounderies.
normal: 45 or lower
NM: 70 or lower
Hell: 84 or lower (when completed)
  • For every level you go over these boundaries, you will be deducted 4 points. (eg: if you finish normal at lvl 47, you will lose 12 points from your total score)
  • for completing normal, you are awarded a 10 point bonus, which can be doubled with killing the cow king to 20 points.
  • For completing nm, you get 15 points, which can be doubled to 30 by killing the cow king.
  • making guardian will mean you get 30 points, 50 after killing cow king.
  • The maximum points score is 185. if more than 1 person achieves this, it will be decided by whoever has the lowest lvl character to have completed the tourney succesfully.
The prize
Yes, its what you've all been waiting for. The winner of this tourney will get hold of just 1 item. my Zod. to do with as they wish. do i have to say any more?

The dates
The tourney will begin saturday 5th march as soon as it hits 0:00 in your part of the world. You will then have until my birthday on tuesday 26th april to finish the tourney as far as you can. that leaves you with about 8 weeks to see how far you can get.

You must register yourself here to be in with a chance of getting the prize. to do so, please fill out this form.

forum name:
Initial build idea: (can be changed later, i just want to see what people are planning on using)
Why is Farting bob is so god-like?:

Other stuff
There is no entry fee's, you may sign up until the 5th march, there will be another thread to post your updates and current scores in, this is just to ask questions and sign up.
Any queries, please ask before the 5th, i will repost the rules then, and they will be final.

Good luck, j00 n00bs!

Note: These are postst #2-20 from the original thread.

Just one question: do the participants fight bare-handed untill they have Wirt's Leg or are they allowed to mule it on...?
farting bob said:
normal: 45 or lower

For every level you go over these boundaries, you will be deducted 4 points. (eg: if you finish normal at lvl 47, you will lose 12 points from your total score)
according to what you said if you finished normal at lvl 47 you'd only lose 8 points, no? unless you meant under lvl 45 for finishing normal. either way i pwn j00!

i'm in btw. I think i'll go a....MELEEMANCER!!
Sidhe: prepare for some bare knucle boxing to begin with yes. no muling on your legs.
Corax: you are correct, you amy finish normal at lvl 45 and not recive any penalties, then for every 1 lvl over that you start getting 4 points off.
skoolbus

Zodded_Wirt
fireclaw wearbear
Farting Bob is so god-like because he gives away zod runes out of the goodness of his heart.
so are we allowed to use melee bulds that rely on elemental dmg froms skills? I can only think of a telsa/freeza/firadin or a fireclaws wb atm, but these would kinda defeat the purpose. A freezadin can get through the whole game using just his fists
This may get me to play again.

Gabriel74
Holy Freeze Zealot. (possibly an avenger instead)
FB is godlike in that he likes to watch the little people fight and die for his amusement (greek god-like).
I'll give this a try for my first tourney.

Forum name: erics
Character name: Prosthetic Pete
Initial build idea: Paladin, Vengeance
Why is Farting bob is so god-like?: The green gasseous aura swirling around his "nether regions" creates an euphoria-like state when inhaled resulting delusions on non-grandure when compared to others of egg shaped appearance...or 'just because' like my daughter says.
shermo said:
so are we allowed to use melee bulds that rely on elemental dmg froms skills? I can only think of a telsa/freeza/firadin or a fireclaws wb atm, but these would kinda defeat the purpose. A freezadin can get through the whole game using just his fists
Yep, you'll have to define melee in a very strict sense for your original intention (which is clearly to make people suffer) to work. A meleemancer, for instance is pretty much just a summon necro that also uses items to up his physical prowess. Zeal/Holy Aura paladins don't really suffer from Wirt's in a big way. Smiters would probably do okay without a decent weapon. Kicksins are melee builds but they don't even use the weapon. Can my werewolf druid also use armageddon or poison attacks? And how are you going to prove somebody only used Wirt's? Are there log files or something?

This tourney would require a pretty huge comprehensive list of do's and don'ts. You might just want to restrict it to Barbs and not allow War Cry beyond 1 point.

Or simply, no summons and no damage causing attacks that aren't delivered by Wirt's of any kind (this would rule out holy auras since they also do radius damage as well as damage return builds relying on iron maiden, attract, and/or confusion since these curses cause monsters to hurt each other). At least that way we'll all be running to calculate vengeance stats from Wirt's. :)

Although, quite frankly, monster regen makes it such that if you get too strict, it's simply going to be impossible to kill any uniques in Hell.

With a necro, you can go a long way with curses, but without corpse explosion you're kind of screwed.
I would like to see you post some more rules there farting bob then Ill join up hehe
This is sick just sick!!!

I will not participate in such dribble, If I really want a Zod I could "create" my own. Sick sick I tell you.

On second thought telsadin would be my build of choice, that or the enchantress/energyshieldress. Tis too bad charms are not allowed. You should have made this a D2 classic tourney.
I'll chip in my understanding from previous Wirt's Leg events: you have to hit things with the leg (Smite bad, Holy Shock good). Kickers strike me as alright too. Sure Paladin Holy Auras do passive damage, but it doesn't really even damage monsters in Hell, so that's no big advantage. I'd also point out Holy Aura paladin do suffer a major loss using the leg - they basically can't leech. Summons are an interesting question, I'll leave that for FB to answer. A Skellymancer standing around with a leg sounds awfully cheesy though.

To clarify some Wirt's Leg facts for me (and others, who have never been foolish enough to use it for a weapon):
Up to 3 sockets, but *no* runewords will work in it?
Can it be imbued?

I might be interested, haven't gave HC a go in awhile. Holy Freeze pally I'm thinking.
Pherdnut said:
. A meleemancer, for instance is pretty much just a summon necro that also uses items to up his physical prowess.
that's a commandomancer, not a meleemancer. A meleemancer is his own main source of damage whereas a commandomancer just supplements his summons.
ph34r!!!1!!!!!

However i do agree with you. Builds should be limited to physical damage based melee.

btw vengeance is based on weapon damage for ED so it'd be really weak with wirts.

gohanman said:
Kickers strike me as alright too.
You are against smiters but have no problem with kickers? neither should be allowed as neither uses the leg for damage

gohanman said:
A Skellymancer standing around with a leg sounds awfully cheesy though.

lol. that just struck me as really funny.
Can we use other weapons to prebuff? Can we use non-melee skills to kill things. If I make a kicker, can I use DS?
forum name: Crazy Runner Guy
Initial build idea: Gotta be an avenger...
Why is Farting bob is so god-like?: Because he's running this tourney!

crg
corax said:
You are against smiters but have no problem with kickers? neither should be allowed as neither uses the leg for damage
I thought that weapon damage affected the charge ups, which the kick released. I mean, I've seen kickers walking around with 2-handed mauls before, and I assume there's a good reason for it. I've never actually played a kicker though, so if the weapon has no effect on the kick damage, then I'd place it in the same category as smite.
Gohanman said:
To clarify some Wirt's Leg facts for me (and others, who have never been foolish enough to use it for a weapon):
Up to 3 sockets, but *no* runewords will work in it?
Can it be imbued?
i'm pretty sure it can be imbued. It can be up'ed too
shermo said:
i'm pretty sure it can be imbued. It can be up'ed too
What does it upgrade TO?
Forum Name: Stupidgreen
Initial Build: Green Beret Kicker
Why FB is so cool: It's gotta be the egg avatar. Or eggatar.
Gohanman said:
What does it upgrade TO?
hand axe.

i don't think the charge up weapon would affect the kick damage. but i'm not sure

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High