[2005] SPUMF (Single Pass Untwinked Magic Find) Tourney [by Cattleya]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by Caatleya on Oct 29, 2005. The last post was made Mar 14, 2006.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

SPUMF (Single Pass Untwinked Magic Find) Tourney -- Progress Thread

[highlight]SPUMF (Single Pass Untwinked Magic Find) Tourney Rules[/highlight]

Versions and Builds
  • Characters may be either SC or HC. This should be declared when entering the tourney.
  • Players can use any version of the game they would like. This should be declared when entering the tourney.
  • Players may use any of the RTB mods (FE, RRM, RWM). This should be declared when entering the tourney.
  • Characters may use any build they wish. (Synergy bug in 1.10 and Ethereal Armor bug in 1.11 are fair game.)

Playing Rules
  • Characters only have one chance in each area to collect their shiney pixels. You may not rerun any areas at all. If you need to get from a WP in an area you have cleared to the next area, you may kill any monsters you have to, but you may not pick up any items that drop. [*1]
  • You may not kill the monsters in an area on one player setting, then increase the setting to pop chests or hork corpses.
  • You may use ATMA (or Fast User Switching) to mule items that have been found by the character on and off the character.
  • Players need to declare if they will be participating in the prizes when they sign up. Players that decide to opt-in for the prizes need to understand that they may lose some of their items. Players who opt-out of the prizes get to keep all of their stuff, but they may not choose items at the end.
  • You are not required to complete quests/collect WPs. Keep in mind that since re-running areas is forbidden, you may not be able to go back and do a quest that you skipped at a latter time.
  • You may go back to any Act (or difficulty) you wish to shop/gamble.

Tournament Timeframe
  • This tournement will go until February 28th, 2006. At that point, your character's score must be submitted.
  • You can sign up a new character any time before the end of the tourney.
  • If you want to restart with a new character, your old character must be retired. Their score will be whatever it was at the time they retired. Only one character per player is eligible to be a winner in the tourney, but winners may choose items from any of your characters.

Side Contests

Side Contest - The Most Common S/U
So, what is the most commonly found set or unique? Is it that green breast plate, or that darn green ring? Keep track of the item that you have found the most of, and the person who collects the most of one single set/unique object wins this contest.

Side Contest - The Most Stylish Item
Each player may submit one item for this contest. We will all vote for the winner at the end. Be creative here, it could be a godly rare, a ridiculously named item, or an ilvl 87 ethereal Lenymo. ;)

Side Contest - Rune Hunt
The person who finds the highest rune (including Hellforge drops) wins this one. The prize for this contest will be a trophy. (It will be some sort of personalized novelty item.)

Side Contest - Biggest Pile of Gold and Green
It's not the quality of items that you find, it's the sheer number that counts, right? Every set and unique item you find (including duplicates) gets one point for this contest.

Scoring
The score will be made up of four numbers that will be added. Score sheets can be found here. Dead HC characters do not count any items that were on the character at the time of death.
  • Grail Points (GP): You will score one point for each set and unique item the first time you find it. Each type of rainbow facet counts separately.
  • Ethereal Grail Points (EGP): You will score 2 points for every ethereal set/unique you find. Both normal and ethereal versions of items count separately, so if you find a normal and ethereal Venom Ward, you will have 3 points total added to your score.
  • Elite, jewelry, and class specific items score(EJCS): You will add up the points for your top 5 items in this catagory. You may count duplicate items in this score.
  • TC3 item score (TC3): You will add up the points for your top 5 TC3 items. You may count duplicate items in this score.

Prizes
  • Players may opt-out of the tourney prizes. They will not have to give up any items, but they will also not be allowed to pick any items if they win a category.
  • Players may set aside 2 items of their choosing to keep safe from being taken.
  • Winners may choose their items from any participant that they want who has not opted out of the prizes. Keep in mind that moving items from one type of character to another (such as modded to unmmoded or HC to SC) could affect your trade/MP status.
  • Prizes will be chosen as follows:
    Ist Place: 5 items from any player (no more than 1 item from one player)
    2nd Place: 3 items from any player except the 1st place winner. (no more than 1 item from one player)
    3rd Place: 1 item from any player except the 1st or 2nd place winner.
    The Most Common S/U winner: 1 item from any player except the 1st, 2nd or 3rd place winner.
    The Most Stylish Item winner: 1 item from any player except the 1st, 2nd or 3rd place winner.
    The Biggest Pile of Gold and Green winner: 1 item from any player except the 1st, 2nd or 3rd place winner.
    The Rune Hunt winner: The winner of this contest gets bragging rights and a trophy.

Notes
[1] If you have cleared WSK2 already, and in running from the WP to WSK3 something like a gold sacred armor drops, you don't have to abandon it. Just make sure that your character doesn't use the item, and of course it won't count towards your total in the tourney. Use your common sense here. :)

Note: These are posts #2-20 from the original thread.

Here is the table to sign up. Make sure when you sign up to include whether or not you will be participating in the prizes at the end.

Code:
[highlight]SPUMP Score[/highlight]

GP = Grail Points (1 point for each item the first time it is found
EGP = Ethereal Grail Points (2 points for each ethereal item the first time it is found
EJCS = Score from top 5 elite, jewelry, and class specific items
TC3 = Score from top 5 TC3 items
Total Score = GP + EGP + EJCS + TC3

Scoring Table is [url=http://www.twilightdesert.com/d2/SPUMFscores.txt]here.[/url] 

Forum Name    | Character Name | Class |     Version     | GP | EGP | EJCS | TC3 |Total Score|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cattleya       Alexa             Sorc   1.11b HC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0
Code:
[highlight]Side Contests Scoreboard[/highlight]

Most Common Item is the Set/Unique item you have found the most of.
Biggest Pile is calculated by scoring 1 point for every set and unique found, including duplicates.

Forum Name    | Character Name | Class |     Version     |Most Common Item   |Best Rune|Biggest Pile
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cattleya       Alexa             Sorc   1.11b HC, no mods        ---             ---        ---

I took a while to decide, but I have settled on a FO/CL sorceress. I haven't tried it before, and if she survives to guardian, it could be fun to do some cow runs with her. :) I will be opting out of the prize pool.
Code:
Forum Name    | Character Name | Class |     Version     | GP | EGP | EJCS | TC3 |Total Score|
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cattleya       Alexa             Sorc   1.11b HC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0
Tasdaz         SirRoldar         Pala   1.11 SC, no mods    0    0     0      0        0
Code:

Biggest Pile is calculated by scoring 1 point for every set and unique found, including duplicates.

Forum Name    | Character Name | Class |     Version     |Most Common Item   |Best Rune|Biggest Pile
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cattleya       Alexa             Sorc   1.11b HC, no mods        ---             ---        ---  
Tasdaz         SirRoldar         Pala   1.11 SC, no mods         ---             ---        ---

Gone for a melee build to whack things instead of frying or freezing them with magic. I present the Noble SirRoldar, the Zealoted Fanatical Paladin. 👍

I will be participating in the prizes, but I won't be taking any prizes.

Edit: They're hell tables to edit! I hope I win the prize for biggest pile, it just sounds so wrong!
Code:
Tasdaz         SirRoldar         Pala   1.11 SC, no mods    0    0     0      0        0   
Halcdaddy      TreeHugger        Druid  1.11b SC, RRM/RWM   0    0     0      0        0
Code:

Tasdaz         SirRoldar         Pala   1.11 SC, no mods         ---             ---        ---
Halcdaddy      TreeHugger        Druid  1.11b SC, RRM/RWM        ---             ---        ---

Man, that VBcode stuff took a while to get the hang of. I can see this is going to be tough on single pass w/o using a fishy, but I'll give her hell. I will be participating in the prizes.
Code:
Quickdeath     Tilman            Barb   1.11 SC, no mods    0    0     0      0
Code:

Quickdeath     Tilman            Barb   1.11 SC, no mods         ---             ---        ---

From beyond all logic, I present Tilman the Conc Barb. I will opt out of the prizes.
Code:
Hrus           Kitana            Sorc  1.11b SC, no mods    0    0     0      0        0
Code:

Quickdeath     Tilman            Barb   1.11 SC, no mods         ---             ---        ---
Hrus           Kitana            Sorc   1.11b SC, no mods         ---             ---        ---
I will be participating in the prizes.
Code:
Halcdaddy      TreeHugger        Druid  1.11b SC, RRM/RWM   0    0     0      0        0     
Hrus           Kitana            Sorc   1.11b SC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0 
Zatlaren       Unrak             Barb   1.11b SC, RRM       0    0     0      0        0

Code:

Halcdaddy      TreeHugger        Druid  1.11b SC, RRM/RWM        ---             ---        ---     
Hrus           Kitana            Sorc   1.11b SC, no mods        ---             ---        ---       
Zatlaren       Unrak             Barb   1.11b SC, RRM            ---             ---        ---

I will not be participating in the prizes.
Hrus said:
I will be participating in the prizes.
Runs around looking for small charms of MF to try and have a chance. Your participation in prizes usually means taking items from others :lol:

Good luck all. Cleared Cold Plains & Stony field with no drops. Zealot killing power is a nice change from casting & the might aura really helps the merc. Can't wait to switch to fanatacism and get that might merc 👍

My silly Blood Raven drop
Cleared Blood Moor, Cold Plains and all sub areas. Had a stroke of luck in the Den of Evil with Corpsefire dropping a Biggins Bonnet. No other drops though.
Code:
Hrus           Kitana            Sorc   1.11b SC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0 
Zatlaren       Unrak             Barb   1.11b SC, RRM       0    0     0      0        0 
Cassandra      Sal-Ronya         Amazon 1.11  HC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0

Code:

Hrus           Kitana            Sorc   1.11b SC, no mods        ---             ---        ---       
Zatlaren       Unrak             Barb   1.11b SC, RRM            ---             ---        ---
Cassandra      Sal-Ronya         Amazon 1.11  HC, no mods        ---             ---        ---

I probably won't get much chance to play until christmas, but I'm on leave from work after that, so hopefully I'll find time to play then.

I'll try some kind of lightning fury amazon. I haven't played any amazon beyond my very first character (which was a bow amazon back in 1.03), so I don't really have any idea if I'll get along with her or not, but time will tell.

I will not be participating in the prizes since I only play self-found anyway.
Code:
Cassandra      Sal-Ronya         Amazon 1.11  HC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0
Erimatbrad     Eyvi              Amazon 1.11b HC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0

Code:

Cassandra      Sal-Ronya         Amazon 1.11  HC, no mods        ---             ---        ---  
Erimatbrad     Eyvi              Amazon 1.11b HC, no mods        ---             ---        ---

Eyvi is actually a variant on my old TWD2 Amazon, Liselle, who was saved in Hell Ancients by her PJ charges on her Gargoyle's Bite. (Or whatever that thing is called. I'm too lazy to look it up now). She's put 20 points in PJ and PJ, and then the rest into D/E/A and her trusty Valky sidekick. I'm a little concerned about being pure poison, but I'll make up for it with all the snazzy equipment I'll find.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not participating in the prizes.
Code:
Erimatbrad     Eyvi              Amazon 1.11b HC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0
jjscud         Tempest           Druid  1.11b SC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0

Code:

Erimatbrad     Eyvi              Amazon 1.11b HC, no mods        ---             ---        ---  
jjscud         Tempest           Druid  1.11b SC, no mods        ---             ---        ---

I went ahead and started my first Druid, Tempest will be a wind druid, though with the very frist windy spell being at lvl 18, I think he'll have a melee career early on. Cleared blood moore and and cold plains plus the burial grounds, I'm astounded at reaching lvl 11 without repeating anything and not setting foot yet in Stony Fields. Well, here we go, I'm hoping to follow up on my sucess in Hrus tourney, I didn't win anything but I did complete the build in good shape and Pat the guy.

I will be participating in the Prizes.
Tilman, my Barb, has progressed to the Outer Cloister. Act 1 Normal really sucks for Magic Finding. I now have +60 MF, thanks to some +24MF gloves and 4 chipped topazes and my Merc is sporting a + 18 MF skullcap. I have full cleared everything and had zero drops.

Tilman does have a Tal from his encounter with the countess. So at least I'm in the early leader in the Top Rune side countest. Wooo-hooo!
Quickdeath said:
Tilman, my Barb, has progressed to the Outer Cloister. Act 1 Normal really sucks for Magic Finding. I now have +60 MF, thanks to some +24MF gloves and 4 chipped topazes and my Merc is sporting a + 18 MF skullcap. I have full cleared everything and had zero drops.

Tilman does have a Tal from his encounter with the countess. So at least I'm in the early leader in the Top Rune side countest. Wooo-hooo!
Act 1 has been pretty quiet for me so far too, no finds until I hit the Tamoe Highlands and then I got my first set item, the my second in the Pit, no TC3 though :(

Highest rune is an Eth dropped by the Countess. Clearing the side caves, etc really helps levelling. Each one is almost worth an extra level. I'm currently 17.
Code:
jjscud         Tempest           Druid  1.11b SC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0 
Moar           Frances           Barb   1.11 SC, no mods    0    0     0      0        0

Code:

jjscud         Tempest           Druid  1.11b SC, no mods        ---             ---        ---       
Moar           Frances           Barb   1.11 SC, no mods         ---             ---        ---

I entered my Barb into the table. It might take a while until I start him though.
I will contribute to the prizes and most likely also take some should I be eligible. :)
Where *are* those pesky S/U items?

Eyvi has cleared the Countess out of her tower (but left her neighbors in her area to kill with the next session). She's a whopping level 16, and her PJ does 530-580 damage (over a looong time). It's a lot of fun to throw a bunch of them in a Carver camp. :uhhuh:

She's gambled javelins twice, and both times got replenishing rares. That's 120 javelins of poisony goodness. The countess gave an Eth rune, which isn't the Tir I was hoping for. With a Tir, I'd gain so much mana back with every kill, I should bottle the excess and sell it to Akara.

So, no S/U, no TC3... :( But we're alive and well, and we're packing 50% MF, which will certainly double once I hit act 2.
Code:
Tasdaz         SirRoldar         Pala   1.11  SC, no mods   4    0    0.9     0       4.9
Quickdeath     Tilman            Barb   1.11  SC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0
Moar           Frances           Barb   1.11  SC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0

Code:

Tasdaz         SirRoldar         Pala   1.11  SC, no mods        ---             Eth         4       
Quickdeath     Tilman            Barb   1.11  SC, no mods        ---             ---        ---
Moar           Frances           Barb   1.11  SC, no mods        ---             ---        ---

Just killed Andariel, she dropped all rares :mad: . For the entire act I got 3 Set Items & 1 Unique (Crushflange - 33% CB 👍 ). The only rune I found was the Eth from The Countess. Currently level 20. Played players 8 all the way through.
Code:
Tasdaz         SirRoldar         Pala   1.11  SC, no mods   4    0    0.9     0       4.9
Quickdeath     Tilman            Barb   1.11  SC, no mods   1    0    0.7     0       1.7
Moar           Frances           Barb   1.11  SC, no mods   0    0     0      0        0

Code:

Tasdaz         SirRoldar         Pala   1.11  SC, no mods        ---             Eth         4       
Quickdeath     Tilman            Barb   1.11  SC, no mods        -1-             Tal        -1-
Moar           Frances           Barb   1.11  SC, no mods        ---             ---        ---

I too have also just killed Andariel; I am also at level 20 after having played at players 8 all the way through. I had only one item drop, but it was a Nagelring!!!! It's an MF=20 Nagelring, but I was plenty glad to see it. I also have a Tal from the Countess.

Its been a long time since I've played The Hole - I notice that its one level lower than the Black Marsh that you access it from. How weird!
Code:
Zatlaren       Unrak             Barb   1.11b SC, RRM       3    0     0    16.4     19.4 
Quickdeath     Tilman            Barb   1.11  SC, no mods   1    0    0.7     0       1.7

Code:

Quickdeath     Tilman            Barb   1.11  SC, no mods        -1-             Tal        -1-
Zatlaren       Unrak             Barb   1.11b SC, RRM             1              Eth         3

Finished Andariel and she only dropped rares. Found 2 more items on the way to her Arctic Furs from the tower and Gorefoot from somewhere in the Jail. So a total of 3 items and an Eth for act 1.
Code:
Zatlaren       Unrak             Barb   1.11b SC, RRM       3    0     0    16.4     19.4 
ShadowStalker  Shadowreaper      Sin    1.11  SC, no mods   0    0     0      0

Code:

Zatlaren       Unrak             Barb   1.11b SC, RRM             1              Eth         3
ShadowStalker  Shadowreaper      Sin    1.11  SC, no mods        ---             ---

Tasdaz convinced me to join this tourn...its my first and I hope my details line up in the boxes.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High