[2005] "Rare Pleasure" Tournament [by skunkbelly]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by Gaz on Apr 27, 2005. The last post was made Jul 1, 2005.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

"Rare Pleasure" Tournament

OK, the last tournament idea fizzled completely... but now that FB's Zod tourny has ended, perhaps there's enough air in the room for another effort. I know I have time for another challenge, now.

Drum roll please.....

THE RARE PLEASURE TOURNAMENT

Once upon a time in a land called Sanctuary, there were some serious snobs walking around. It wasn't enough for them to fight evil with magical weapons, or with powerful runewords that just anybody could use, or even so-called unique items that everyone seemed to have¦ they needed to be special. They would only fight the minions of the Prime Evils with rare equipment¦ nothing else would do under any circumstances. If they couldn't use something truly rare, then they'd go nekkid.

RULES, Part One: characters

1. HC characters only. You must get all WPs and complete all quests before moving to the next act.

2. The following builds are disallowed. However, banned skills may be used as synergies for non-banned skills.

a. The following Sorceress skills are banned (except as synergies): blizzard, frozen orb, fireball, meteor, chain lightning. Other sorceress builds are permitted.

b. Lightning Fury is disallowed for Amazons.

c. Skeletons and Revives are not permissible for Necromancers (bone skills *are* allowed).

d. All Druid Elemental Skills are disallowed, except for Cyclone Armor (and as synergies).

e. Assassin Traps are forbidden, except for the Blade Skills.

f. Blessed Hammer, Holy Bolt, and Fist of the Heavens are disallowed (except as synergies).

g. Barbarians may not use Throwing Mastery or Double Throw.

RULES, Part Two: equipment

3. Untwinked. You may mule items off to your other characters. Otherwise, no use of ATMA is permitted.

4. Your character may only use RARE items. If you do not have a rare item for a particular equipment slot, you may not have an item in that slot. The following exceptions (and *only* these exceptions) apply to the rares only rule:
a. You may use the weapon that your character is generated with, until you find your first rare weapon. Upon finding your first rare weapon of any sort (even if you cannot yet use it due to item requirements), you must discard your birth weapon.

b. All quest-related items can be used, obviously. You may also equip wuest-related weapons. You may not, however, take such weapons past the act in which they spawn (i.e., no hellforge hammer in act 5).

c. You may use the magic ring that Akara gives you for saving Cain in Normal difficulty, and you may use it until you have two rare rings in your possession (once you find a second rare, however useless it may be, you must discard the magic ring).

d. Potions, scrolls, and tomes of all sorts are permitted.

e. Sockets in items can be filled¦ but only with RARE jewels :)

6. Obviously, there are no rare charms in the game, so charms are not allowed under any circumstances.

7. You may kill the following monsters no more than twice in each difficulty level: Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Hephaesto, Diablo, Pindleskin, Eldritch, Shenk, Nihlathak, Baal.

8. You may gamble for items; however, once you have equipped a gambled rare item in a particular slot, you may never gamble for that item type again. (This means that two rings may be gambled, and in the case of dual-wielding barbarians, two weapons). If you find something better than the gambled item, you are free to use it... but you still may not gamble for that item type in the future. Gamble wisely!

9. Because Charsi's imbue quest reward generates a rare item, those items may be used. However, you must use your imbue quest reward *before* moving onto the next difficulty.

10. You may create 1 crafted item in NM difficulty, and 1 crafted item in Hell difficulty. But you may only make one attempt each time... if you get junk, you get junk, and that's your fate.

OTHER DETAILS

1. This is a quick tournament. It will begin on Sunday, May 1, at 7:30 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. It will end on Saturday, May 28, at 7:30 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

2. Players must make an update upon the completion of Normal difficulty, NM difficulty, and upon the completion of each act in Hell difficulty. Of course, everyone is welcome to post more frequently, if they desire.

3. Scoring will be determined as follows:

a. 2 points will be awarded for each quest completed.

b. 1 point will be awarded for each WP gathered.

c. 3 points will be awarded for killing the Cow King in each difficulty.

d. 1 point will be *subtracted* for each character level gained (yes, a negative score is possible).

e. Achieving Guardian status gives a bonus of 20 points.

f. In the highly unlikely event of a tie, the winner will be determined by a forum vote… whoever is democratically determined to have the lamest gear will win the tie.

THE PRIZE: The winner will receive an ATMA stash containing the complete proceeds from 100 hardcore Hell Mephisto runs, to be completed by my sorceress, who wears about 400% MF. So the prize could be great, or it could be lots of breast plates and keys. You’ll have to win to find out!

To enter, add your name and character class to the sign-up table below. Remember, no starting until 7:30 a.m. EST on May 1.

Code:
Name            Build            Level    Act/Difficulty        Forum Name     Points
Rare-Skunk      bowzon            1        1/Norm                Skunkbelly      0

Note: These are posts #2-20 from the original thread.

This sounds like fun, count me in. I'll start with a Bowazon, named, Sceptrana.
i'm in, although this will be my first serious HC character, so I doubt I'll go very far
I think that I'll go with either a Poisonmancer, or a Kicking Sin

P.S. I know no skelies or revives, so I assume that golems and Shadow's are ok?
Anyone who wants to sign up, just add your name into the table at the bottom of my first post.

Three Rule Additions:

1. Any type of mercenary may be used, but they must adhere to the same equipment rules: rares only (or the items you craft, if you don't use them yourself).

2. Remember, you may use the six perfect skull recipe to reroll rare items. And you may also use the cube recipes to upgrade the item quality of rare items (i.e., ghost armor to dusk shroud).

3. All summonable creatures not listed above are OK. That includes valks, decoys, druid summonables, shadows and golems... all are fine. Just no skeletons or revives.
Code:
Name            Build         Level    Act/Difficulty        Forum Name    Points
Undead-WingWong Bonemancer    1    1/Norm            Starving_Poet    0
Rare-Skunk      Bowzon          1       1/Norm            Skunkbelly      0

I'm in. I might be a slow start with finals starting next week, but this looks like it will be great.
I would like to join, but I have a lot of other D2-related projects. Maybe if the tournament would be longer. I can't get anywhere in 4 weeks with my play-time in May. BTW - The rule #8 is so cruel....
Arg, I'm gonna have to withdraw, I forgot that I cannot yet make a HC character b/c I just started lol, oh well.
GodofWar said:
Arg, I'm gonna have to withdraw, I forgot that I cannot yet make a HC character b/c I just started lol, oh well.
You can in ATMA, even if youve never completed normal in SP. I dont know how people would react to this though, but shouldnt be a problem, lets face it, its only making it harder for you.
farting bob said:
You can in ATMA, even if youve never completed normal in SP. I dont know how people would react to this though, but shouldnt be a problem, lets face it, its only making it harder for you.
I have no problem with this whatsoever... as long as the character is HC, I don't care how it came to be born that way ;)

@ hrus: yep, that's a cruel one. :) Though I should make clear: you may gamble a thousand of a particular item, if you wish, and save as many as you can hold in your stash... you are only prohibited from gambling an item after you have *equipped* a gambled item in that same slot. So you could gamble a decent circlet, save it in your stash without using it, and hold out for something better. But the temptation to put it on may be too great...
Code:
Name            Build         Level    Act/Difficulty        Forum Name    Points
Undead-WingWong Bonemancer        1     1/Norm                Starving_Poet     0
Rare-Skunk      Bowzon            1     1/Norm            Skunkbelly        0
Inferno       HolyFireadin        1     1/Norm                  SuperSavage       0

Well, Inferno the holyfireadin has arised.... never made one before and I see why not now. :)

Looks like fun, I have plenty of playing time as well. I think we should get to start now, those extra days always suck, and don't have an end date until no updates or a winner.
Code:
Undead-WingWong Bonemancer        1     1/Norm                Starving_Poet     0
Inferno         HolyFireadin      1     1/Norm                  SuperSavage       0
LuckyCharm      ConcBarb          1     1/Norm                  OpethAZ           0

I agree on going now. I have a wide open evening and this sounds great... went with the Barb to hork, hork, hork!!!
Code:
Inferno         HolyFireadin      1     1/Norm                  SuperSavage       0
LuckyCharm      ConcBarb          1     1/Norm                  OpethAZ           0
Fred            Zealot+           1     1/Norm                  jjscud            0

Well, I've got several other projects going and I've never played a true melee build or a paladin. Sounds perfect, I've been tempted to try a zealot/sacrifice/other non-banned skills pally. Haven't decided on a name yet.
Must resist... Must resist... Must resist...
Aw, crap. :)

Code:
Fred            Zealot+           1     1/Norm                  jjscud            0
Jonathan    Hunter Druid      1    1/Norm            Cattleya      0
I'm in... I just don't know how to work the code thing. Explanation, anyone?

EDIT: I may end up having to drop from the tourney, 'cause my grades aren't exactly great at the moment.
Feceset said:
reply to the last person to have the code, then remove the quote but not the code marks, add your self in, it's all good.

Question on eight, when you say type to you mean type as in circlet or type as in helmet?
Feceset said:
1) Do "reply with quote" for the last person that has the table in their post/
2) [highlight]Important Step![/highlight] Remove the quote tags. If you don't do this, the next person won't have access to the code tags to update.
3) Add your information.
4) Preview the post. Use tabs and spaces to get your info to line up properly. Keep previewing and fixing until it is right.
5) Submit the post.
This sounds really interesting, but I can´t accept a fixed "end date" for the tournament, especially not so early.

When I want to play D2, I don´t want anything other than my desire to play a certain character influence my choice of which character to play.

If I get far, I might need up to a year for this...
4. Your character may only use RARE items. If you do not have a rare item for a particular equipment slot, you may not have an item in that slot. The following exceptions (and *only* these exceptions) apply to the rares only rule:
a. You may use the weapon that your character is generated with, until you find your first rare weapon. Upon finding your first rare weapon of any sort (even if you cannot yet use it due to item requirements), you must discard your birth weapon.
Basically this means all characters will go fisting their way as soon as they find any rare weapon. Are you sure about this?
Take a bowazon for example: she starts with javelins and must drop them as soon as she finds ANY rare weapon, no matter if she can use it or not. Then she would have to fist her way through.
farting bob said:
I'm not quite understanding this. If you haven't killed Baal in normal level, you can't create a hardcore character? But you can with the help of ATMA whether you've killed Baal or not? Or do you have to Mat/Pat a character before you can create a hardcore character?
jrlafrance said:
I'm not quite understanding this. If you haven't killed Baal in normal level, you can't create a hardcore character? But you can with the help of ATMA whether you've killed Baal or not? Or do you have to Mat/Pat a character before you can create a hardcore character?
it must be normal Baal, we had HC open before we had a mat or pat.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High