[2005] Gambler's Delight Tournament [by Humphrey]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by Humphrey on Sep 17, 2005. The last post was made Mar 20, 2006.
(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

The Gambler's Delight Tournament

Updated rules:

Equipment rules:
1. You may only equip your starting equipment and stuff you have gambled (you can pick up and sell anything. You can gamble all you like, and use everything you gamble), with the exeptions below.
2. You can equip items given to you as a quest reward, and you can use your imbues. You can only socket items you could already equip.
3. You can buy potions, books, scrolls, arrows, and bolts, and you can repair stuff.
4. Half of the items (you can send more than half, but you must send at least half) that cannot be gambled (ITCBG, see next section) (minimum 10 per act) that you find must be picked up and sent in to me at the end of each act (=selling them). You may then request as many of these items as you sent in (=gambling them), you may do what you like with the items you get back (sell them, equip them, whatever). You can only ask for items that you can equip, the rest will be random. While all classes can equip Staves/scepters/wands only sorcs/pallys/necros can ask for them (because of the high selling value), unless you can convince me that your character is going to use them ('drummer' barb etc). The other half of the items can be sold. Please don't sell/leave on the ground any +2/3 SM +2/3 RS +2/3 something else or +2/3 bone armour +2/3 bspear +2/3 bspirit necro wands or heads, it would make me cry.
5. Socket fillers and charms can be used.
6. Your merc's equipment is subject to the same rules as your equipment.
7. You can craft/reroll/make runewords in/etc any item you could already equip, and use the result.

Items that cannot be gambled (thanks to jiansonz for the clearer explanation):
Definitions:
"M+" is read "Magical or better", i.e. magical, rare, set or unique
"ITCBG" is read "Items That Can't Be Gambled" and that includes wands, staves, scepters, orbs, druid pelts, barb helms, amazon-only javelins/spears/bows, necro heads and pally shields

Half of these should be sent in:
1. ITCBG that are M+ and have staffmods
2. ITCBG that are M+ and don´t have staffmods
3. Non-magical white/gray ITCBG, if they have staffmods
4. Normal quality amazon weapons and pally shields

These may be sold:
5. Non-magical white/gray Superior ITCBG
6. Low quality white ITCBG

Character build rules:
1. Your character class will be chosen randomly.
2. You will have 4 skills you have to get to 15 chosen randomly. These will be chosen from two random trees except for Barbs and Paladins, where all trees will be used. Once you have got these skills to 15 you may spend your other points as you wish.
3. All random skills must always be within 2 points of each other (until they all get to 15, when you can increase them how you like), unless you have not reached the level requirement of a skill. Once you have reached the level requirement you must put all future points into that skill until it is within 2 points of the rest.
4. Once you have put at least one point in each random skills and their pre-reqs (or saved enough points to do this if you haven't reached the level req) you may put up to 5 points in whatever skills you chose.
5. You have one mulligan.
6. Your character's name will have to begin with a letter that is randomly chosen.
7. If you die you can restart with a different randomly-chosen character, you will not be allowed a mulligan for this character even if you did not use the first mulligan.

Other rules:
1. You must get all waypoints and comlete all quests (apart from imbue and socket) before moving on to the next act, but you don't need to do them in order.
2. SC, when you die you are out. If you must, you can play HC, but SC is preferable.
3. 1.10, 1.11, or 1.11b. RRM and/or RWM.
4. Atma use: you can mule items off, and back on all you like.
5. Trading and MP are not permitted.

Scoring:
1. 1 point for each WP and quest (2 for halls of the dead in NM and hard. 2 for Great Marsh). The Rogue Encampment wp does not count when adding points.
2. 10 for finishing each act
3. 10 for each set/unique gambled
4. 5/4/3/2/1 for best/second best etc item gambled (again decided by vote)
5. 10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1 if your build is judged (I'll hold a vote to decide which) most useless, second most useless, etc.
6. 5 point to someone randomly.
7. If you die to hell Baal you get one point in compensation (instead of the 10 you would have got for finishing Hell), and a chance at a special prize (warning, it may not be very good :p).

Prizes:
(As my self-found grail stash on this PC consists of 3 crappy items, any donations to be given as prizes would be good.)
1. Mule off into a prize stash all sets/uniques (expect ones that you want to keep for yourself, ie grail stuff), flawless and pGems, and good items that you find. At the end, send in the 10 best items you have to form the prize stash.
2. Everyone will get at least one item, winner gets first choice and the most items. When I know how many items there are, I'll post exactly how many everyone gets. I'll keep the different version stashes seperate.

Rules violations:
There is a fine system for small mistakes (such as auto-equipping an item and killing something), first one costs you 1 PGem, second 2 PGems, third 4 PGems, 4th 8 PGems, and so on. I'll split the PGems out between the people who made no mistakes at the end.

My e-mail (to send the class-specifics to, please say what mods/version you are using in the e-mail): w*(at) *(dot) com
Name your stash files fourmname(or character name)actversionmods when you send them to me (example: humphrey1SC1.11)

Sign up in this thread, and you may start playing as soon as you get your random class, skills, and letter.
The tournament will run until the 30th of January 2006

Sub-tourney - 'Merciful Fate'
If you wish, you may continue (using tourny rules) with a dead SC character. If the build is useless enough, and you pat/mat it, you will be entered into a prize draw to win a good item (found by my MF tourney character in un-modded 1.11 SC).

I think that's everything! Good luck!

original rules said:

Here are the rules:

[highlight]NOTICE: Rules were updated 21-Sep and are found here. - AE[/highlight]

Equipment rules:
1. You may only equip your starting equipment and stuff you have gambled (you can pick up and sell anything.), with the exeptions below.
2. You can equip items given to you as a quest reward, and you can use your imbues. You can only socket items you could already equip.
3. You can buy potions, books, scrolls, and you can repair stuff.
4. All staff-modded, magic, rare, set or unique items that cannot be gambled (Class-specifics etc) that you find must be picked up and sent in to me at the end of each act (=selling them). You may then request as many of these items as you sent in (=gambling them), you may do what you like with the items you get back (sell them, equip them, whatever). You can only specifically request items your character can equip. (you can't ask for class-specifics that your character cannot equip, but you can ask for random items)

Character build rules:
1. Your character class will be chosen randomly.
2. You will have 4 skills you have to get to 15 chosen randomly. These will be chosen from two random trees except for Barbs and Paladins, where all trees will be used. Once you have got these skills to 15 you may spend your other points as you wish.
3. All random skills must always be within 2 points of each other, unless you have not reached the level requirement of a skill. Once you have reached the level requirement you must put all future points into that skill until it is within 2 points of the rest.
4. Once you have put at least one point in each random skills and their pre-reqs (or saved enough points to do this if you haven't reached the level req) you may put up to 5 points in whatever skills you chose.
5. You have one mulligan.
6. Your character's name will have to begin with a letter that is randomly chosen.
7. If you die you can restart with a different randomly-chosen character, you will not be allowed a mulligan for this character even if you did not use the first mulligan.

Other rules:
1. You must get all waypoints and comlete all quests (apart from imbue and socket) before moving on to the next act, but you don't need to do them in order.
2. SC, when you die you are out. If you must, you can play HC, but SC is preferable.
3. 1.10, 1.11, or 1.11b. RRM and/or RWM.
4. Atma use: you can mule on and off all you like.
5. Trading and MP are not permitted.

Scoring:
1. 1 point for each WP and quest (2 for halls of the dead in NM and hard. 2 for Great Marsh)
2. 10 for finishing each act
3. 10 for each set/unique gambled
4. 5/4/3/2/1 for best/second best etc item gambled (again decided by vote)
5. 5/4/3/2/1 if your build is judged (I'll hold a vote to decide which) hardest, second hardest, etc.
6. 5 point to someone randomly.

Prizes:
(As my self-found grail stash on this PC consists of 3 crappy items, any donations to be given as prizes would be good.)
1. Mule off into a prize stash all sets/uniques (expect ones that you want to keep for yourself, ie grail stuff), flawless and pGems, and good items that you find. At the end, send in the 10 best items you have to form the prize stash.
2. Everyone will get at least one item, winner gets first choice and the most items. When I know how many items there are, I'll post exactly how many everyone gets. I'll keep the different version stashes seperate.

My e-mail (to send the class-specifics to, please say what mods/version you are using in the e-mail): w*(at) *(dot) com

Sign up in this thread, and you may start playing as soon as you get your random class, skills, and letter.
The tournament will run until the 30th of January 2006 (if you think this is too long/too short post and say so, I'll change it if enough people think it should be changed)

I think that's everything! Good luck!

Last edited:
Note: These are posts #2-20 from the original thread.

Sounds fun, sign me up 👍 .I will be playing vanilla 1.11, softcore - can't wait to see what cards I get dealt so to speak :)
How I am picking the classes and skills:

I'm using http://www.random.org to generate random numbers
Get a random number between 1 and 26 for the first letter in the name
Get a random number between 1 and 7 for the class (in this order:
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress)
If class is not barb or pally, get a number between 1 and 3 to chose unused skill tree (1 is top one, 3 is bottom one)
Get 4 numbers between 1 and 20 (30 for barb and pally) to represent the 4 used skills (I'm calling the first listed skill for the first tree (on arreat summit) 1, the second 2 and so on.)

Shadow Druid's class and skills:

Letter: D
Class: Amazon
Skills: Critical Strike, Decoy, Cold Arrow, Multiple Shot

Could be a lot worse! Have fun!
@Humphrey: Do you make a character for me? Or I can do it myself? If A), do it please, let's see if I will give this tourney characters some time.
Hrus said:
@Humphrey: Do you make a character for me? Or I can do it myself? If A), do it please, let's see if I will give this tourney characters some time.
Yep I make one. Could you (or whoever reads this first) make one for me please (to make sure I don't cheat :p).

Here's yours:

Letter: A
Class: Necromancer
Skills: Raise Skeleton, Golem Mastery, Blood Golem, Dim Vision

Umm, err, lucky you!
Humphrey said:
How I am picking the classes and skills:

I'm using http://www.random.org to generate random numbers
Get a random number between 1 and 26 for the first letter in the name
Get a random number between 1 and 7 for the class (in this order:
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress)
If class is not barb or pally, get a number between 1 and 3 to chose unused skill tree (1 is top one, 3 is bottom one)
Get 4 numbers between 1 and 20 (30 for barb and pally) to represent the 4 used skills (I'm calling the first listed skill for the first tree (on arreat summit) 1, the second 2 and so on.)

Shadow Druid's class and skills:

Letter: D
Skills: Critical Strike, Decoy, Cold Arrow, Multiple Shot

Could be a lot worse! Have fun!
👍 Oh man did I get lucky or what! I can just go with a cookie cutter MS build with those skills!

Ok, I will name her... Danika
Shadow Druid said:
👍 Oh man did I get lucky or what! I can just go with a cookie cutter MS build with those skills!

Ok, I will name her... Danika
Luckier than poor Hrus for sure. 15 points in decoy at least gives more valk life, and the other skills are actually useful.
I'll make a pretty table to list builds and progress later after I have slept.
Ok Humphrey - here is yours:

Letter: W
Character: Assassin
Non used skill tree: Shadow Disciplines
Skills: Dragon Tail, Dragon Flight, Phoenix Strike, Blade Sentinel

:( Sorry man, pretty poor rolls there.

edit: on reflection it's not too bad, you have a decent charge up and finisher at least but the Blade Sentinel is fairly useless.
gib character?
1.11 SC
meh, i hardly have any access/time for D2 and am not a hardcore style player, but i loved the idea.

please sign me in. 1.10 unmodded SC
Enrol please.
1.10 Unmodded SC.

Change of plans - I'll just stick to 1.10 - can't be bothered fiddling with atma.
I'll roll the dice as well. I'll be softcore, 1.11 vanilla. Gamble me a character.
Lady Luck has charmed me once again! A character please, dear Humphrey! 1.11, SC
corax:
Letter: H
Unused tree: Curses
Skills: Poison Nova, Bone Spirit, Poison Dagger, Bone Spear

Llathias:
Letter: Y
Class: Assassin
Unused tree: Martial Arts
Skills: Claw Mastery, Fade, Mind Blast, Wake of Fire

#endgame:
Letter: U
Class: Barbarian
Unused tree: N/A
Skills: Battle Cry, Increased Speed, (Throwing Mastery) replaced with whirlwind, Mace Mastery

I think if 2 barb masteries or 2 druid sprits or two other mutally exclusive things are rolled the second should be re-rolled. If the same skill is rolled again the other one will be re-rolled. You got Mace Mastery again when I re-rolled, so I re-rolled Throwing Mastery and you got Whirlwind.

Quickdeath:
Letter: P
Unused tree: Passive and magic
Skills: Freezing Arrow, Lightning Strike, Lightning Bolt, Plague Javelin

Edit:
Spludge:
Letter: A
Unused tree: Curses
Skills: Bone Spirit, Golem Mastery, Bone Wall, Bone Prison

Could someone re-roll me, I'm using my mulliagan (already got a horribly crippled 'sin on the go, don't want another one!!)
Being we have some time until the tourney completes, I'll enroll. Got the two other tourneys, so....... My HC one could end anytime, naturally, though. :scared:

Basically, sign me up!
Billybgame said:
Being we have some time until the tourney completes, I'll enroll. Got the two other tourneys, so.......
That's why I left so much time, because there are quite a few going on atm.

Letter: S
Class: Assassin
Unused tree: Traps
Skills: Cobra Strike, Fists of Fire, Dragon Flight, Blades of Ice
Billybgame said:
said:
Being we have some time until the tourney completes, I'll enroll. Got the two other tourneys, so....... My HC one could end anytime, naturally, though. :scared:

Basically, sign me up!
Sign me up, my HC tourney could be over in the blink of an eye. lol

1.11 SC Vanilla
Semarin said:
Sign me up, my HC tourney could be over in the blink of an eye.
Letter: B
Class: Sorceress
Unused: Cold
Skills: Static Field, Nova, Blaze, Enchant

Interesting. You'll have a nice radius on static field at least.
Aww. Semarin, at first glance, got lucky, and me...? Well, then again, I don't know. Even though my HC tourney character is an assassin, it's my first, and she is limited to the Shadow Disciplines. So, I'm very ignorant about Assassins. Did mine get ok results? I'm thinking of also pulling a mulligan.
Looks like a very interesting Tournement, but I got a question.

I'm known for asking questions that appear on the rule page, but, do you 'have' to pick up ever single class speficific or just the ones your would feel could be useful, to give you to?

No matter the answer, I'm still in.

EDIT: I'll be playing SC 1.11 unmodded.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High