[2004] The Septavirate Tournament: Race for the Ultimate Goal [by XorceR]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by XorceRon Jul 3, 2004.(link to original thread on diabloii.net)

The Septavirate Tournament: Race for the Ultimate Goal

After losing my lvl 84 avenger at Hell Ancients I thought about what I should do next. Should I give up HC? Start a Sc char? But after you taste the HC gameplay SC isn't exciting anymore. So I had a great idea ( or at least I think it's great :lol: ). I'll start a Septavirate. Well this isn't something new but I think it would be great to start a Septavirate Tournament. Most of you know what a Septavirate is. It's about reaching the ultimate goal of seven
guardians, a guardian from each character class. But why make something like this a tournament? Because this will encourage many people to try out this exciting form of gameplay ( I hope so), and it will motivate them. We can keep track of each others progress, and be motivated by it. Motivation is a key feature, because this tournament needs lots of time and effort to complete.
Okay let's get to the rules:
1. All characters must be hardcore.
2. You have to play them untwinked.
3. You may freely mule off items from your chars but you may only mule on:
a) 1 item in Normal
b) 2 items in Nightmare
c) 3 items in Hell
4. Of course you may only mule on items found by septavirate chars
5. Gems, runes, jewels, charms, potions don't count as items, they may be muled on/off in unlimited number but only from your septavirate stash
6.In order to make this more interesting I thought about introducing a score system. You get:
30 Points for Destroyer (1 point for each quest + 3 for killing the Cow King)
another 30 Points for Conqueror
another 30 Points for Guardian
So for ex. reaching Guardian and killing the Cow King in each difficulty will yield 90 Points.
7. If your char dies the points earned by him/she will remain.
8. Characters have to be written in your septavirate report with different colors depending on their status:
nothing - Royal Blue
Destroyer - Yellow
Conqueror - Green
Guardian - Sandy Brown
Dead - Red

I welcome suggestions for a more detailed or better score system or some modifications in the rules.
I've also thought about allowing trade between the tournament participants, but I'm not sure if this would be a good idea.
What do you think?

I will participate too on this tournament my septavirate status is:

SniPe_XR lvl 16 Sniperzon Act I Normal 4 Pts

Total 4 Pts

Note: These are posts #2-20 from the original thread.

Sounds fun...i may be interested...

i am in but i will be far behind because i wont be here :)

EDIT: I'm in!

Wind_Stroke TS/DT Level 1 Act 1 Normal

Im going to start working on her later tonight :)
Oh boy....I guess I'll have to join to. <puts HC hat back on>

This'll probably take me awhile, but I could use the motivation. At least I started an untwinked HC character yesterday!

Introducing Frost, Lvl 8 Holy Freeze Zealot, A1N.

And good luck to us all! We'll need it.
If any of you guys want a page in Butzull's Septa site that I now maintain just give me a holler.

You can check out the site here: http://www.dangreen.name/septavirate.html
This sound really interesting man! 👍 I'll Join!!! :D

When one of my chars dies, can i rebuild them to maybe gather more points? (and thus the old points fail)
TrenShadow said:
If any of you guys want a page in Butzull's Septa site that I now maintain just give me a holler.

I would love to participate but I cant. I mod'ded the FE bug out since I am not willing to die from a bug that was removed on the realms. This makes me non participant material. Aside that I think the rules on Septa's are not as they should be.

I plan to start an new 'account' (7 chars one of each class + 1 mule) on HC and use some untwinked rules. It would mean that the mule can hold gems and runes and those can be moved freely. And aside that class specific items (excluding wands since those CAN be used by other chars) can be muled between characters. Nothing else.
TrenShadow said:

I forgot I was working on that. :) Thanks. As soon as I finish my current project, I'll try working on it again.

EC
I believe I joined this tournament about nine months ago :lol: so have a bit of a head start. :D Even so, it will take another year or so to complete the quest.

I post my updates in the HCL thread, but will watch here as well.

Good luck to all!
Freekje said:
This sound really interesting man! 👍 I'll Join!!! :D

When one of my chars dies, can i rebuild them to maybe gather more points? (and thus the old points fail)
Well as I said in the rules the old points will remain, you won't lose them and you can rebuild your char and earn more points.

I'm happy that many of you are interested in this epic quest. It is certainly a very interesting form of gameplay.

My current status is
SniPe_XR lvl 25 Sept. sniperzon Act II Normal
AE: Guess I'll have to keep an eye on the HCL thread for your updates then ;)

To all: you don't have to strictly follow the prescribed rules to have your own Septavirate. A number of people have their own modified rules which are layed out on their respective pages. Just send me a PM with the name/level/build/progress of your characters and I'll get it up as soon as I can.

Malachi: Since you have a modded game, you won't be eligible to officially keep score against the other folks here, but I'm more than happy to make you a page to track your progress and just mention at the top of the page that you have modded out the FE bug.
TrenShadow said:
Malachi: Since you have a modded game, you won't be eligible to officially keep score against the other folks here, but I'm more than happy to make you a page to track your progress and just mention at the top of the page that you have modded out the FE bug.
No need I will keep track of things in my own little world, let me not stain your pages with my cheating.. however.. its kinda funny. Lets say this FE bug was a bug that gave SP an advantage over realms... you would be cheating NOT modding it and abusing a bug :scratch:
@Tren - Thanks. I've only played one char that needs an update - Cletous. He's in Hell A3, lvl83 (no items muled on :) )
Malachi said:
No need I will keep track of things in my own little world, let me not stain your pages with my cheating.. however.. its kinda funny. Lets say this FE bug was a bug that gave SP an advantage over realms... you would be cheating NOT modding it and abusing a bug :scratch:
Don't be so hard on yourself. Playing a mod is not cheating, it's just playing differently. On the other hand, playing HC with the "FE mod" does give you a major advantage in racing for the Septavirate, so I appreciate your position there.

edit: changed NM to Hell
AlterEgo said:
Don't be so hard on yourself. Playing a mod is not cheating, it's just playing differently. On the other hand, playing HC with the "FE mod" does give you a major advantage in racing for the Septavirate, so I appreciate your position there.
If I calculated the three untwinked guardians I already have, I would have a too big headstart anyway. Thing is, the FE bug really ruins melee most and I am tired of playing cookie cutter 'ranged' chars like trappers, hammerdins, wind druids, dexazons, skelemancers and such. If thats what Septavirate is about I dont miss out on it really. Other then being part of some elitist thingy. :grrr:
Malachi said:
If I calculated the three untwinked guardians I already have, I would have a too big headstart anyway. Thing is, the FE bug really ruins melee most and I am tired of playing cookie cutter 'ranged' chars like trappers, hammerdins, wind druids, dexazons, skelemancers and such. If thats what Septavirate is about I dont miss out on it really. Other then being part of some elitist thingy. :grrr:
I personally don't see this as an "elitist thingy" any more than the 7x99 quest, the item grail, the Zod club, or any other long term goal. It's something that motivates me to play, but also gives my character planning some structure.

On a side note, this is indeed a long-term goal. I predict that not many folks who start this quest will finish it. It's much tougher than first expected. 1.10 Hell is brutal. Congrats of your three untwinked Guardians!

I'm not trying to argue with you Malachi. I agree that the FE bug limits HC build choices, thus limiting the game's enjoyment for many people. I'm glad you've found a variant that works for you. 👍

If I decide to play pure melee characters, I'll just go untwinked SC. Greybeard did this very effectively and made a number of SC "Guardians".
AlterEgo said:
If I decide to play pure melee characters, I'll just go untwinked SC. Greybeard did this very effectively and made a number of SC "Guardians".
I prefer the FE mod over that SC option, SC just is not the same to me, it does not have the same tension even if you stay alive through it all. After the mod the FE still does damage, at one point I took over 600 damage (after max resists) when being too close to a boss on when killing it. Its just better scaled and not as rediculously deadly as in the bugged version of it. But then I will need to find a way to deal with Tomb Vipers too since I will clear all area's. I guess most Septavirate will probably skip that quest since doing all quests is not manditory.
I decided to drop out of this tournament because i think it is to high a goal for now...

good luck all with your septavirate's. I'll read this thread every now and then to see how you are doing!

I Just finished Act2 Normal with my barbarian Royal_Immortal. I decided to go untwinked, and dual wield with main skill Frenzy. It'll be hard to reach guardian, but i hope i will manage it... :D
Frosty, Lvl25 Holy Freeze Zealot, A3N

Ah...good old HC with a melee character. Now it seems so foolish considering I haven't even made it to Hell with a HC character yet; and better yet, the furthest I've played a paladin is in getting him to Act III (this is my 2nd time). I'm still taking the challenge though. Will have to use some sort of ranged attack in parts of hell, considering I'm using a fire rogue mercenary. I may decide to change this once I get to hell, however.

No exciting drops. Got the Angelic Mantle and Angelic Sickle. Not too bad, but am about to take them off since I just got Bloodrise from Duriel. Just waiting for a nice armor to pop up for me.
ohw so i am not the only one new to HC :) maybe i will report here how i am doing then.

My third HC-char, first for septavirate:
(first two were for tournaments and died because of weird builds...)

Royal_Immortal:
Dual wield Barbarian, Currently lvl 25
Area: Lower Kurast
Quest: Need to get the last organ (Heart?) and Khalims Flail

I am still wondering what build i should take for the Druid, i never played a druid before :D)
I'll probably be building a Wind Druid next. My goal is to try to get Guardian status with characters I don't play as often, so that getting the last few should be *easier* than the rest. Which means my last two will be Necromancer and then the Amazon.
SniPe_XR has reached level 30 and she has finally spent the first skill point on Valkyrie. I will now concentrate on maxing it. I will soon reach Normal Meph and I will farm him a bit for som edecent gear. I have also thought about what builds should I try out with each character class. I am planning to build the following chars:

Barbarian: berzerker w. two handed weapon
Druid: Windy Druid
Necro: Bonemage
Assassin: hmmm, I don't know yet
Paladin: Frost Zealot
Sorceress: CL/FO

Last edited:
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High