[2004] The Jack-Of-All-Trades-Tournament [by Summoned]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by Summoned on Jul 28, 2004. (link to original thread on diabloii.net)

The Jack-Of-All-Trades Tournament

Seeing as some of the tourneys are ending, I'd like to start one. This tournament is created solely because I want to see if non-specializers can still make it in 1.10. These characters are meant to be able to kill any and all monsters (given enough time/patience), but may die in the process.

Rules:

- General -
1. Hardcore 1.10 only.
2. You may mule off at will, but may only mule on items previously muled off by the same character.
3. You may not use more than 1 item from any set. (no Sigon Gauntlets + Belt + Boots) Furthermore, if you find more than 1 item from any set, keep one, but the other must be put into the stash. At least one item of the set has to be sent in after the tournament. This applies even if you find the same set item twice.
4. You may not use a mercenary, if you accidentally get one... kill it.
5. You must have at least 15 skill points into one of each of the three categoried skills defined per class before putting more than 5 points into a different skill. This means that if you are a sorceress and have chosen Frozen Orb, Hydra, and Thunderstorm as your three skills, you may not put more than 5 points into Warmth until all of the three have at least 15 skill points.
6. You may rerun areas as many times as you wish.
7. You must kill all of the Super Uniques in the order specified. It's listed by region, so you'll pass the region of one Super Unique before reaching another. The only exceptions are the Super Uniques listed in the same regions, you may kill them in any order.
8. If you die once, you can enlist another character. If you die twice, sorry.
9. Send all prize stashes to D*@*.net
10. The winner is the one who kills the most Super Uniques, excepting act bosses. (Which, by the way, is a tremendous feat in and of itself, but that's not the point.) The top three in the tourney will receive items from the stash, which will be divided biased toward the winner.
11. The point system is simple: 1 point for every Super Unique killed.
12. Report with the character name, the level, and the last Super Unique killed.
13. You may MP/Trade with other players in this tournament.
14. Any players setting is allowed.

- Characters and Skills -
1. You are advised to pick three skills from the start and stick to it.
2. You must pick exactly 1 skill from each of the 3 categories you choose.
3. After that, you may not put more than 5 points into any other skill until you have 15 in each of the three that you have chosen.
4. You may change your primary skills, but must have no more than 5 points in them if you want to change.
5. Banned skills may not be used by any means, but you may put points in them for synergies or prerequisites. (For example, a sorceress cannot use a lower resist wand.)

Amazon
Physical - Jab, Impale, Fend, Multiple Shot, Guided Arrow, Strafe, and Valkyrie
Fire - Fire Arrow, Exploding Arrow, Immolation Arrow
Cold - Cold Arrow, Ice Arrow, Freezing Arrow
Lightning - Power Strike, Charged Strike, Lightning Bolt, Lightning Strike, Lightning Fury
Poison - Poison Javelin, Plague Javelin
Banned Skill(s) - Magic Arrow

Assassin
Physical - Tiger Strike, Dragon Talon, Dragon Claw, Dragon Flight
Fire - Fists of Fire, Fire Blast, Wake of Fire, Wake of Inferno
Cold - Blades of Ice
Lightning - Claws of Thunder, Shock Web, Charged Bolt Sentry, Lightning Sentry
Poison - Venom
Magic - Mind Blast
Banned Skill(s) - Phoenix Strike, Death Sentry

Barbarian*
Sword Mastery
Axe Mastery
Mace Mastery
Spear Mastery
Throwing Mastery
Polearm Mastery
Banned Skill(s) - None

Druid
Fire - Firestorm, Fissure, Fire Claw
Cold - Arctic Blast, Hurricane
Physical - Twister, Tornado, Raven, Spirit Wolves, Dire Wolves, Grizzly Bear, Feral Rage, Hunger, Fury, Maul
Poison - Poison Creeper, Rabies
Banned Skill(s) - Molten Boulder, Volcano, Armageddon

Necromancer
Physical - Raise Skeletons, Clay Golem, Blood Golem, Iron Golem, Revive
Fire - Fire Golem
Poison - Poison Dagger, Poison Explosion, Poison Nova
Magic - Teeth, Bone Spear, Bone Spirit
Banned Skill(s) - Raise Skeleton Magi, Amplify Damage, Decrepify, Lower Resist, and Corpse Explosion

Paladin**
Physical - Might, Concentration, Fanaticism, Thorns, Sacrifice, Smite, and Charge
Fire - Holy Fire
Cold - Holy Freeze
Lightning - Holy Shock, Fist of the Heavens
Magic - Blessed Hammers
Banned Skill(s) - Vengeance, Conviction, Salvation

Sorceress
Fire - Any from Fire Tree except Warmth and Fire Mastery
Cold - Any from Cold Tree except Frozen Armor and Cold Mastery
Lightning - Charged Bolts, Nova, Lightning, Chain Lightning, and Thunderstorm
Banned Skill(s) - None

*Since Barbarians lack a type of damage other than physical and magic, they are the only class that can use a mercenary, but it must be from act 3. To compensate, they must have 15 points in three masteries before going beyond 5 on anything else (like battle orders).

**Zeal is not listed in physical because any of the elemental auras can be used with it to great effect, and it does not do enough physical damage (by itself) to be considered.

- Enemies -
You must defeat all of these critters, in order, except for those listed in the same area, those you may kill in any order.

Act I:
Den of Evil - CorpseFire
Cold Plains - Bishibosh
Cave Level 1 - Coldcrow
Burial Grounds - Blood Raven
Crypt - Bonebreaker
Dark Woods - Treehead Woodfist
Tristram - Griswold
Forgotten Tower Level 5 - The Countess
Barracks - The Smith
Jail Level 2 - Pitspawn Fouldog
Cathedral - Bone Ash

Act II:
Sewers Level 3 - Radament
Stony Tomb Level 2 - Creeping Feature
Halls of the Dead Level 3 - Bloodwitch The Wild
Far Oasis - Beetleburst
Maggot Lair Level 3 - Coldworm The Burrower
Lost City - Dark Elder
Cave Viper Temple Level 2 - Fangskin
Palace Cellar Level 3 - Fire Eye
Arcane Sanctuary - The Summoner
Tomb of Tal Rasha (one of them) - Ancient Kaa The Soulless

Act III:
Spider Cavern - Sszark The Burning
Flayer Dungeon Level 3 - Witch Doctor Endugu
Flayer Jungle to Lower Kurast - Stormtree
The Ruined Temple - Battlemaid Sarina
Bazaar Sewers Level 1 - Icehawk Riftwing
Travincal - Ismail Vilehand, Geleb Flamefinger, and Toorc Icefist
Durance of Hatred Level 3 - Bremm Sparkfist, Wyand Voidbringer, and Maffer Dragonhand

Act IV:
Plains of Despair - Izual
The Hellforge - Hephasto The Armorer
Chaos Sanctuary - Grand Vizier Of Chaos, Infector Of Souls, and Lord De Seis

Act V:
Bloody Foothills - Dac Farren
Bloody Foothills to Frigid Highlands - Shenk The Overseer, Eldritch The Rectifier
Frigid Highlands - Sharptooth Slayer
Frigid Highlands to Arreat Plateau - Eyeback The Unleashed
Arreat Plateau - Thresh Socket
Frozen River - Frozenstein
Glacial Trail - Bonesaw Breaker
Nihlathak's Temple - Pindleskin
Halls Of Vaught - Nihlathak
Icy Cellar - Snapchip Shatter
Arreat Summit - Talic, Korlic, and Madawc
Throne Of Destruction:
Colenzo The Annihilator
Achmel The Cursed
Bartuc The Bloody
Ventor The Unholy
Lister The Tormentor

The Secret Cow Level (a.k.a. The Moo Moo Farm):
The Cow King

Any questions and/or comments are welcome. You can start as soon as you sign up.

Note: These are posts #2-20 from the original thread.

okay.. I'm in =)

edit:haven't yet tho decided what class to do, after all
San said:
okay.. I'm in =)
so, is this okay, if I make a hammerdin with bhammer, vigor and blessed aim?
if yes,...
his name shall be..
Darren_Hammerdin (if it fits. if not, Darren_Hammer)
You have to pick 3 categories, like Magic, Physical, and Lightning, and then choose one from each, like: Blessed Hammers, Concentration, and Fist of the Heavens.
GRRR..
I can't think of anything fun..
not entering
hmmm. i might join if i find the time to.
but if i may make a suggestion i believe it would be more fun if you have to max one skill from each skill tree on a character before putting more than 1 point into any other skill. less confusing that way
Ok, I'm a sucker, count me in. I will however be focussing on my tourneys in the order they arrived, therefore until my No-vit Druid dies in EC's tourney, my progress here will be slow.

To make life tough for myself I'm going to make a Zon. Tough because their strength comes later. For now I have NO idea how I'll get past normal Duriel without a Merc, but I'll make a plan and we'll see how we go! If I can get past him I should be ok (in theory).

Initial thoughts (subject to change of course):
Phys: Valkyrie
Lightning: LF
Either a Fire or Cold Arrow type attack as the third...perhaps Freezing Arrow.

Oh, and nice tourney, I like the incorporation of a number of quirks without making it ridiculously underpowered.

Butz. :teeth:
I've wanted to try another tri-sorc since the 1.10 beta, when mine got stuck in A1 hell... so count me in with a ts, hydra, fo sorc... Normal Dury will be my toughest fight, since it'll just be me waiting for ts to hit him... countless times before he dies while running in circles praying he never touches me.
Damn, I really want to enter this but I need to get on with my wirtadin.

If only this was 1 or 2 weeks later...

If I do enter Id probably go for the physical/cold/fire druid, when do you want to start this tournament Summoned?
Update time:

CName: Freezer_Burn(trisorc)
Clvl: 12
Last SU: Rak isn't listed... so Bonebreaker

Going is relatively easy even on /players 8 so far. My basic tactic is to use frost nova to slow enemies and to bash them with a scepter until they are ded. :uhhuh: Occasionally static and ice blast come into play. I definately need to get to lvl 24 quickly, cause this tactic won't last me too long, esp. without a merc. Good luck to everyone else joining the tourny :howdy: Have fun, I know I will even with my unoriginal build.
madmaxxam said:
Update time:

CName: Freezer_Burn(trisorc)
Clvl: 12
Last SU: Rak isn't listed... so Bonebreaker

Going is relatively easy even on /players 8 so far. My basic tactic is to use frost nova to slow enemies and to bash them with a scepter until they are ded. :uhhuh: Occasionally static and ice blast come into play. I definately need to get to lvl 24 quickly, cause this tactic won't last me too long, esp. without a merc. Good luck to everyone else joining the tourny :howdy: Have fun, I know I will even with my unoriginal build.
Rakanishu was supposed to be listed, sorry I forgot. Add him in before Treehead Woodfist.

Stony Field - Rakanishu

@corax - they're not all skill trees, though, but I guess you understand the idea. I just think that the 5 points here and there might help to start people up before they incorporate their primary level 30 or so attacks.

@colony - you can join once your Wirtadin contest ends, and best of luck in making Guardian. :) This tournament will remain open for the duration of it, anyone can join whenever they want, it just gives the early birds a lead.

Minor update on rules: I thought long and hard on this, but I decided to ban Shadow Master, since it almost always uses Phoenix Strike and Death Sentry. Shadow Warrior, however, is allowed.
I am also in another tournament but I am interested in starting this one as well. From the options I will choose an Assassin. I am thinking it will be a Wake of Fire, Mind Blast and Venom. If this changes before I start the character I will post the change. She will be named -- Wamive.
I already started my Sorc. cuz the forum wouldn't let me post earlier.

Name: Jenna
Lvl: 9
Last SU: Blood Raven

Just curious. What do you guys ussually mule for the prizes? I'm wondering cuz I've never won a tourney and never really lived that long either.(still need to learn not to charge in there in HC) I'm not sure the quality of items I should be saving.
If you find any unique or set items with the character that you're not planning to use, put it in the prize stash. And then there's the set item that you have to place in as long as you found more than 1 item from the same set, so that should cover it.

I've started a pure javazon for myself. The early parts of act 1 for a javazon were very easy, just poking things to death and throwing sticks at those that don't die fast enough.

Kaya
Level 15 (Fend, Plague Javelin, Lightning Fury)
Last Super Unique: The Countess

Double post.
You know, I don't quite understand the prohibition of using more than 1 item from the same set. What's the reasoning behind this, just curious? Is it to prevent people from becoming too powerful? Well, it's a moot point for my character so far with her 0 set finds up till now.
Rosita, L12 Amazon, Rakanishu (6pts)

New experience brought about by this tournament: I've never been in the Cave in 1.10, so have never fought Coldcrow since she was changed from being a crow. :)

Butz. :teeth:

P.S. Still worried about Duriel, but formulating a plan!
madmaxxam said:
You know, I don't quite understand the prohibition of using more than 1 item from the same set. What's the reasoning behind this, just curious? Is it to prevent people from becoming too powerful? Well, it's a moot point for my character so far with her 0 set finds up till now.
Part of it is to make sure that there are at least some items in the stash for the winner. The other part is because this tournament is about non-specialization, and most sets make you specialize (sigon -> melee, cathan -> fire, Bul-Katho's -> dual-sword), not the mention the class-specific sets with weapons already given to you.

Kaya stood toe to toe with the Smith and he only managed to hit her once before dying.

Kaya
Level 17 Javazon
The Smith
Count Time:
madmaxxam -> Freezer_Burn, Level 12 Sorceress, Rakanishu (6)
Kronian -> Jenna, Level 9 Sorceress, Blood Raven (4)
Butzull -> Rosita, Level 12 Amazon, Rakanishu (6)
Summoned -> Kaya, Level 17 Amazon, The Smith (10)
I'm in.

Class: Assassin.
Skills: Fists of Fire, Blades of Ice, Claws of Thunder. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even though I can't USE Phoenix Strike, I can put points to it to synergize, yes?

If so, hopefully I'll rock through normal with this build.
I'm in but I have a history of getting bored with these things before I'm out of act 1.

EDIT: I'll go with a necro instead. skelly/Fire golem/poison something or other

EDIT2: and InDaBox the necro is born

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High