[2004] Random Skills Banned (SPHC) Tournament [by Hrus]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by Hrus on Nov 27, 2004. The last post was made Feb 10, 2005. (link to original thread on diabloii.net)
Random Skills Banned (SPHC) Tournament

Hey new tournament to sign-up !!!!
Dont know what build to play? Let the fortune decide...

I was looking for some tournaments to sign-up, but there is no one right now.
So despite I am not an old member here in SPF, I decided to make a tournament on my own.
Oh I hope there will be some competitors...

RSB - Random Skills Banned Tournament
1. Hardcore Single Player, no Multiplayer allowed

2. strictly untwinked, however, you can mule the items off to special stash, from which you can mule back on your char. No trading.

3. All items can be used including those with +skills, charges etc.

4. Use Random character 1-7:
1-Amazon
2-Assassin
3-Barbarian
4-Druid
5-Necromancer
6-Paladin
7-Sorceress
You can use a reroll option, if you don't want to play that character.

5.Choose 10 skills at random. They will not be allowed for your character. You can't put points there even if they are prerequisities.However you can use this skills if you have them granted by items.
Do this that way:
a)Assign numbers 1-30 to all skills your char has .
b)Choose at random among them.
c)Chosen skill is not allowed (banned) for your character. You can use 1 of your reroll options now, but ONLY if this skill is prerequisite for others (for example you cannot reroll Sorc Masteries, Frozen Orb etc.)
d)Assign numbers 1-29 to all skills your char has - skip the number for previously chosen skill . (Even if you can't use some of skills, because of the previous "banned" skills are prerequisite for them, assign them.)
b)..
c)..
e)Assign numbers 1-28 to all skills your char has...
and so on...

6. Choose one obligatory skill at random from the skills your character can use. Assign only skills that are not "banned" or skills where the banned skills are not prerequisites.
You can use the rest of your reroll options for obligatory skill now.
In this obligatory skill you must place 20 points as soon as possible. (If your obligatory skill is lvl 6, it must be maxed on lv 25, you must give a point in prereqs before you reach 6th lvl).
The rest of skill points (included those from quest) can be placed at your will.

7. Only 3 REROLL OPTIONS

8. You can skip or repeat any area at your will, however completing quests and killing superuniques will increase your score.

9. You can use any player settings.

10. SCORES:
2 points for every completed quest. (you are not forced to collect rewards - Imbue quest is done when you return Malus to Charsi)
(100-Character lvl) points for defeating Baal on Hell difficulty.
1 point for every superunique killed (1st time). Act bosses are not considered superuniques, the list of superuniques will be posted later
x points for your best item found by this char. List of values of items posted later.

11. Prizes:
You can donate anything you want you have found with your character. But this tourney should take you at least to nightmare, so don't donate pathetic rares from normal difficulty. Only decent rares, very decent grays (generally no grays without good automods), very decent blues (charm skillers), all uniques / sets, runes above SHAEL.
When tourney ends, all prize stash will be divided between players acording to their tournament rankings.
The best item from your stash will earn you some points to your rankings. That item cannot be from a dead character.

12. Each player can have two characters. It's not allowed to mule between them. Scores are independent for those two.

13. Tourney will start at 27.11.2004

14. When the interest becomes low, or most of the participants die, the deadline will be declared.

15. The Winner is the player, who's character has gained the hisghest score up to the deadline.
If there will be two with the same score, they will share prizes and glory.

16. My mail: h*@**.net

Point value of items:
uniques: TC 3-18: 1 point, TC 21 - 81: TC/10 points, TC 84: 9 points, TC 87: 10 points, Rings&Amulets: qlvl/10 points, Gheed Charm: 5, Facets: 5
sets: TC 3-27: 1 point, TC 33-87: TC/10 -1 points, rings&amulets: 1 point except for Tal Rasha's Amulet - 6 points
rares,crafts: 0-8 points individually. (8 for 400%ED,40%IAS) Master of the tourney decides.
runes: SHAEL: 1, DOL+HEL 2, IO+LUM 3, KO+FAL 4, LEM+PUL 5, UM+MAL 6, IST+GUL 7, VEX+OHM 8, LO+SUR 9, BER+JAH 10, CHAM 11, ZOD 12
blues: 0-7 points individually (7 for best 40ED/15IAS Jewels, 6 for Skillers with good suffix...) Master of the tourney decides.
Example: Doombringer (Champion sword - TC 78) - 7 points

Note: These are posts #2-20 from the original thread.

It seems fun, but if we have to pick 10 banned skills, out of a potential 30, its basically going to mean we wont be able to use most skills, with a 3rd being blocked, and then all skills that need that as a synergy blocked. Its possible to cut off 2 or even all 3 skill trees if you get lvl 1 skills blocked, and you can only reroll 1.
I would compete, as it looks fun, but i really dont have the time, too many commitments (D2 and RL)
3 rerolls - they can be used 3 times for rerolling the banned skill. Or 2 times for banned skill and 1 time for Obligatory skill. Or ... Or you can spent a reroll for rerolling a character (I advise not to do that - all three rerolls are worth keeping for skills picks)
I wanted this tournament to be challenging and have tried the char creation several times...
In most cases it will not end with desparate no-real build. Once I get a Meteor Sorc - (Meteor obligatory, Fire Mastery allowed)...
Ahh, thought you could only have 1 reroll. i guess that makes it more do-able.
I decided to create my own character as an example how to create yours.
Character Roll: 1 - Amazon
Banned skills:
1) Avoid
2) Explosion Arrow
3) Multiple Shot (I thought about reroll, but being it only 3rd skill I decided not to do that)
4) Fire Arrow
5) Charged Strike
6) Evade
7) Immolation Arrow (I couldn't reroll it - it is not a prerequisite for anything, I wouldn't do that even if i could because i already gave up this part of bow tree)
8) Slow Missiles
9) Lightning Bolt - REROLL (I decided to have reroll here to have possibility of Javelins throw, thinking about 2 possibilities - Freeze arrow tree and Poison Javs hopefully with Fury)
9*) Impale
10) Fend (couldn't be rerolled)
Obligatory Skill - Freezing Arrow

I named my character Milwa

OK - this one was very, very lucky; those Necros and Sorcs will have it harder, but possible to get good builds too. And if those Babas will roll 4 times Bash - i would say be a man and try them. Just to see how far they can go.
BearShifter - Druid

banned skills:

hurricane,
armageddon,
artic blast,
werewolf,
feral rage,
rabies,
carrion vine,
heart of wolverine,
dire. wolf (rerolled to this from oak sage - i'm using werebear form constantly so extra hp is a must)

Damn - what a bummer this build will be. I won't have access to lynacpy or whatever its called.

Obligatory skill: Oak Sage

I'm aiming to play as a werebear with oak sage constantly out.

Estimated end result:

20 Oak Sage
20 Werebear
1 Raven
1 Maul
20 Shockwave (stun dur. increases constantly, mana cost stays same)
=63 points - leaves me rough 40 points for elemental however I want no stat points in energy so I will choose the 'constant mp cost' spells:

Firestorm 20,
Molten Boulder (rarely used - synergy for firestorm) 20

(+skills for hunger)
Hopefully there is more interest - I don't wanna play a gimpy hc char for nothing :D
Hi Bugzy, you listed only 9 Banned Skills. Choose the 10th one.

with your skill selection I would consider a fire elemental tree...
Hrus said:
Hi Bugzy, you listed only 9 Banned Skills. Choose the 10th one.

with your skill selection I would consider a fire elemental tree...
Nice to see my arithmetic ability is at its finest.

My tenth banned skilll was...spirit wolf.

And I was leaning towards a elemental druid but I felt like a challenge so I decided to have a werebear without lycan.
Interesting idea - never seen this one done before 👍

I already have three tournay characters going, and don't put enough time into them already - so I'll have to pass.
I am going out of town tonight, BUT I am interested in competing in this when I get back. I'll do the rolls now, and post my banned skills (Editing this post) when I do them. Nice idea 👍
mine is an sorc with these skills banned
fire mastery
enchant
blaze
chain ligthning
shiver armor
meteror
nova
inferno
lighting
cold mastery
probaly going to make and blizz and minor fireball sorc
Just A Guy said:
mine is an sorc with these skills banned
fire mastery
enchant
blaze
chain ligthning
shiver armor
meteror
nova
inferno
lighting
cold mastery
probaly going to make and blizz and minor fireball sorc
You have to choose the obligatory skill. Your character will be challenging to play.
web application

I have uploaded the test version of application where you can update your character progress and see the rankings. It's a very test version, so report bugs here in the forum. Here is the link
That application is IE only, other browsers are not supported yet.
It definitely doesn't run properly under Mozilla browser.

For having an option to create the new character, just register yourself.
Hrus said:
I have uploaded the test version of application where you can update your character progress and see the rankings. It's a very test version, so report bugs here in the forum. Here is the link
That application is IE only, other browsers are not supported yet.
It definitely doesn't run properly under Mozilla browser.

For having an option to create the new character, just register yourself.
Very nice work there :)

Gives the tournament a very professional feel.
Rolled a Barbarian (oh joy).

Banned Skills:
Polearm Mastery
Double Throw
Bezerk
Throwing Mastery
Sword Mastery
Whirlwind
War Cry
Mace Mastery
Leap Attack
Spear Mastery

All 3 ReRolls used for skills that could be Banned: Bash, Shout, Howl.

Obligitory Skill: Bash.

It looks like Kodak is going to be an Axe (hopefully one handed) wielding Concentration Barbarian.

Good luck to everyone, and I am about to put my D2 disk into my drive to start him going.

And that website is very nice, it will help doing this tournament fly by without having to calculate my own score or anything 👍

[Edit]Just a question. It says you must get your obligetory skill up to level 20 ASAP, but you can use skill quest points any way you want. So does that mean that the Den skill point (I just got) doesn't HAVE TO go into Bash (which has gotten all 5 of the points from me leveling) but can go into Axe Mastery instead?
Bull(R) said:
[Edit]Just a question. It says you must get your obligetory skill up to level 20 ASAP, but you can use skill quest points any way you want. So does that mean that the Den skill point (I just got) doesn't HAVE TO go into Bash (which has gotten all 5 of the points from me leveling) but can go into Axe Mastery instead?
All skill points that could be placed into obligatory skill must go there. However skillpoints from quest may be placed anywhere you want.
BTW: How did you feel when you faced obligatory skill roll without reroll option? Imagine - Find potion, Find Item, Grim Ward, Leap and all the higher Masteries...
Hrus said:
All skill points that could be placed into obligatory skill must go there. However skillpoints from quest may be placed anywhere you want.
BTW: How did you feel when you faced obligatory skill roll without reroll option? Imagine - Find potion, Find Item, Grim Ward, Leap and all the higher Masteries...
Well, I NEEDED to reroll Bash (or else I would have had none of that tree).
I needed to reroll Howl for warcries, and Shout for warcries...

So I just hoped for the best, and got Bash; not bad... I could have gotten a lot worse

[EDIT] Well I'm done for a bit. I have to do a Physics lab, so I've quit playing Kodak for now. Got him up to level 14, just finished taking out Griswold. So far, haven't had any NDE (near death experience), which I do admit is because I'm taking it slow and letting my merc take damage if need be (albeit she hasn't died either).

When I restart later (maybe later tonight) I'm hoping to finish up the latter part of Act 1, at least up until the Inner Cloister WP. We'll see how well that goes.
I will play.

My character is a Druid (re-rolled from a Necromancer).

My banned skills are:

Molten Boulder
Oak Sage
Raven (too early to re-roll)
Spirit Wolves
Firestorm
Feral Rage (re-rolled from Fire Claws - Ouch!)
Solar Creeper
Armaggedon
Shock Wave
Carrion Vine

That leaves me 10 skills I can use:
Arctic Blast, Cyclone Armor, Twister, Tornado, Hurricane
Werewolf, Lycanthropy, WereBear, Maul
Poison Creeper

For a preferred skill I rolled a WereBear. Pretty lucky, but those wind skills looked tempting and Bugzy is already doing a Werebear with Maul. So in a moment of quiet drama, I did my last re-roll - and rolled Tornado! Yess!!

I have to admit, that if I had rolled Arctic Blast, given its bug, or Poison Creeper I probably would not have played.

And, my Druid's name will be Mariah. I've never played a wind druid before! I know my rolls were lucky -but I'm not a good HC player. I'm too aggressive, I've never made it past Duriel Normal! So, I'll just plan to have fun.
Bugzy - Level 16 - Black Marsh

So far life has been very easy. I found a socketed club which i stuck 2 sapphires in for cold damage and then upgraded to a scimitar with two rubies in it. Just finished killing Countess who gave me no problem what-so-ever. I've had no NDE's much because of my 350 (!!) life in werebear form. I just maul them down and when I have shockwave it'll be so much easier.

I managed to pick up a helm with +skills to lycanthropy so I last 100 seconds in werewolf form instead of 40. I also got Artic Furs Quilted Armour which if I read correctly gives me an extra point but there is no option to get that extra point on the ranking site?

Only problem I'm facing at the moment is my attack rating - it is incredibly low. I'll aim to get a blessed aim merc as soon as possible to boost my AR.

My first Druid and I must say I'm loving it :)

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High