[2004] A Quick Tournament (Remake) [by bradley_turner]

Jan 3, 2007
DISCLAIMER: Please do NOT post in this thread yet. We still need to migrate all posts from the old thread on diabloii.net to this thread. If you want to help, feel free to do so :)

To migrate a post, use the "multi-quote" function in the original thread for all posts of one page, insert the quotes, then copy and paste the text into this thread and insert quotes from original posts (i.e. quoted quotes) manually. Take a look at the latest post in this thread to see how migrated posts should look like. Once all posts from this thread have been migrated, the disclaimer will be removed and the thread open to new posts.

This tournament has already ended. It was originally started by Bradley_turner on Oct 22, 2004. The last post was made Feb 10, 2005. (link to original thread on diabloii.net)

A Quick Tournament (Remake)

You see, I really loved the last one, although technically I dont think it ever ended... and I've wanted to make it over again, because I'd love to make a new char like it, but don't think that playing chars like this alone would be as much fun

El Communisto said:
I feel the need to build a short lived HC character, but I want others to do it too so we can tell war stories at the EMB.

A quick tournament with only a few rules:
1 - HC only.
2 - No save & exit except in town.
3 - Muling off is ok, muling on is forbidden. When you die, email the prizes to el**@**.net and I will distribute them to the winners.
4 - MP only among other tournament participants.
5 - No townportal scrolls in the belt, hotkey ok.
6 - All waypoints must be collected, but you can skip any quests you feel like.

Oh, and the three rules that make this difficult.
7 - You may NOT use a shield of any type for any reason!
8 - You may NOT put ANY points into vitality! EVER! You may, however, use equipment that boosts your vitality if you get that far.
9 - You must use either an A1 or A3 merc!

Any build is allowed, even energy shield sorcs. I find it unlikely that most people will get far with 10-25 vitality, and I seriously doubt that an ES sorc will find enough +skills equipment in her travels to ger her the coveted 95% damage absorbed.

The tournament will end when everyone gets bored, dies, or someone reaches Guardian. Feel free to run areas as much as you like, as you are taking your own very fragile character into your own hands.

As usual, post your updates and such here. You may start as soon as you feel like it. I'll keep it open for a week or so. Might close it sooner if nobody wants to play, or keep it open longer if I get a big response.

Remember to have fun!

EC

Are the rules from the last tourney, and the only one I'd like to change is :
El Communisto said:
3 - Muling off is ok, muling on is forbidden. When you die, email the prizes to el**@**.net and I will distribute them to the winners.

because he stated later in the thread after someone asked that this meant that you are not even allowed to transfer stuff found by the char back on after putting it on a mule, and I'd like to make it so you can, if anyone is interested I'll try my best to keep track of everything and keep it organized, although I have no experience in the matter ;) Well, I'm rambling now, so I'm gonna stop, please tell me what you think, and if you want to join, post char name and class. Instead of emailing things to his address though, you should email them to b**@**.net, because otherwise he will become very confused :D

edit : You don't need to get Halls of Vaught waypoint

Note: These are posts #2-20 from the original thread.

Well, my other HC tournamenter died, so this will fill the hole nicely. Count me in.

How do we know who wins?
First person to become a guardian, next by the farthest quest completed, and finally by experience I think :p well, since it's my tourney now, I know that that is how it is, don't I? ;)

I'll probably start my character later tonight, or tomorrow

Jesus-II

Either going to be a barbarian or a druid
looks like its just me and you. I'm starting dw - the FA zon
sure ill join too. ill start probably tomoro or the day after though if thats ok

someoneorother
amazon
i think
Don't forget that assassins are limited to 1 claw or no claw blocking. No claw blocking means no shadow!!!
Why do all the [HC] untwinked tourneys force the winner to be a guardian? It ends up that half the participators die. The other half get bored of playing weak chars and go back to SC. Why not end the tourney when someone kills NM Baal? Then people don't get bored and you can go start a new tourney.

I vowed never to play another HC tourney that forced the winner to kill Hell Baal. The Shadowsin Tourney is supposedly still going but I don't know a single participant other than myself that has even reached Destroyer. Weak chars get real boring in NM. Also, I had an ATMA stash set aside for my Shadowsin, but after 2-3 months I tend to delete stuff like that.

Just a thought BT. I would consider joining if Conqueror was the goal. Maybe you might even have a winner this Tourney. I highly doubt even the first Tourney you revived has an official winner yet.
Pyrce said:
Why do all the [HC] untwinked tourneys force the winner to be a guardian? It ends up that half the participators die. The other half get bored of playing weak chars and go back to SC. Why not end the tourney when someone kills NM Baal? Then people don't get bored and you can go start a new tourney.

I vowed never to play another HC tourney that forced the winner to kill Hell Baal. The Shadowsin Tourney is supposedly still going but I don't know a single participant other than myself that has even reached Destroyer. Weak chars get real boring in NM. Also, I had an ATMA stash set aside for my Shadowsin, but after 2-3 months I tend to delete stuff like that.

Just a thought BT. I would consider joining if Conqueror was the goal. Maybe you might even have a winner this Tourney. I highly doubt even the first Tourney you revived has an official winner yet.
My mastery sorc tourney is softcore and only requires beating nightmare baal. The problem with HC tourneys is you have to have a winning for lack of a better term measuring stick. distance in game is an easy stick to measure. if you pick some other point you have to have a way to pick from all those that get to that point. sometimes clvl is used to give points sometimes items found is used. The problem is that make for a challenging problem for tourney makers. How would you handle the situation?
Pyrce said:

I had a level 69 shadowsin (from another tourney) sitting in act 1 hell, but since the shadow and mercenary do all the killing (with some mind blast and cloak of shadows help), it feels like I'm playing a fishy with less damage and no corpse explosion.
Well, I never got bored of my guy last time, in fact it was a bragging point among my local friends who play D2, that I could get so far with the given restrictions :winner:

Oh yah, what Uzziah said, I knew I was forgetting something :grrr:

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to start yet, I'm gonna try to get some local friends involved, although I doubt they will
I might join in if I get my d2 running properly under linux. But be warned I'm a slow player.
It's no problem, I like to play tourney chars realllllly slowly, cause death = bad >.>

Pealse join!

And I've decided not to name this char Jesus-II, mainly because I already have a character by that name :p, so he'll be Rising-Fury instead, and it'll be a druid, since I used a barb last time.
Well I got d2 running under linux so i'm in I'll start the char in a while. This will be a good way to test how well d2 will run for me in linux.
This sounds too tempting to pass up (and it probably will be a VERY quick tournament for me.) I'll probably start in the next day or two. (My sorceress has a date with a certain lord of destruction that must be seen to first.)

Elmer
Druid

-Cattleya
Another one of these? The last one was lots of fun... In the end I just stopped playing my Pally after he'd gotten halfway through act1 Hell, because I'd gotten attached to him, and noone else seemed to be playing anymore, but I suppose another char (one with a summonable minion :uhhuh: ) could get even further... I'll join in here too, but I don't know what char yet. Think I'll make a zon or an assy... I will get back to you all.

P.S. And I hope more people join in... It isn't as hard as it looks, believe me. Rubies can go a long way in the terms of extra life! :lol:
I'm intrested. But I'm worried. I've never played a Hardcore character before. :p Also, the character that I normal play (single tree sorceress) would not seem to be viable in this... *ponders*
Rising-Fury
Druid
Level 22
act 2, full staff retrieved

come on people, join up! tell your friends! ;) my friend bryant is also going to play, he's not a member on the forums however, so ill probably be posting his updates when he tells me them
I started my druid today I'm not sure what level he is etc right now (I'm not in linux and I'm keeping my linux and windows games completly seperate to prevent any accidents plus linux can't write to ntfs and windows can't read from linux's file system)

I think he's a level 11 Druid Named Mishra.
Summoned said:
I had a level 69 shadowsin (from another tourney) sitting in act 1 hell, but since the shadow and mercenary do all the killing (with some mind blast and cloak of shadows help), it feels like I'm playing a fishy with less damage and no corpse explosion.
And the problem would be...?
jiansonz said:
And the problem would be...?
Maybe he doesn't like playing summoners?

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High