2-socket Tombreaver good enough?

ares

Dec 22, 2008
2-socket Tombreaver good enough?

I want to make a WW barb, and I recently found a 2-socket Tombreaver.
Is it good enough?
I can't make any of the top-tier rune words. (Highest rune I have is an Ist)
here's my planned gear:

Weapon: Tombreaver
Switch: N/A
Helm: Arreat's / Halaberd's
Armor: Duress in a Wire Fleece
Gloves: Soul Drainer (for dual leach)
Boots: Gore Riders
Belt: String of Ears
Jewelry: Ravenfrost and some rares (Maybe a Crescent Moon Ammy for more leach?)
Charms: N/A

read out for the Tombreaver
Code:
[B]Tomb Reaver[/B]
Cryptic Axe
Two-Hand Damage: 102 to 466
Durability: 50 of 65
Required Dexterity: 103
Required Strength: 165
Required Level: 84
Polearm Class - Fastest Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 99
Fingerprint: 0xf70a6658
+211% Enhanced Damage
All Resistances +35
71% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+14 Life after each Kill
+4 to Light Radius
60% Increased Attack Speed
199% Damage to Undead
+279 to Attack Rating against Undead
10% Reanimate As: Returned
[B]Socketed (2: 0 used)[/B] :(

Re: 2-socket Tombreaver good enough?

Yeah, use it. :) Admittedly, the resist and %ED rolls are on the low end, but despite that, it's still the best polearm to whirl with. The only other unique polearm that comes close is Bonehew, which is similar in terms of damage range but needs to use both sockets on shaels (or jewels of fervor) to hit the 4fpa breakpoint and doesn't have the resists and MF. The Tomb Reaver just needs one JoF or shael for 4fpa, so the other sockets are gravy anyway.

So I would say use it, but don't use an ultra-rare valuable jewel in it (like a ruby JoF), since you could potentially find a better Tomb Reaver later on.

cool. Thanks! I don't have a JoF, so I'll just Shael it.
Never noticed Bonehew did as much damage.
I have another Tombreaver but only 1-socket, but it has 275%ED, and similar resists.
Which one should I use?

Hmm, tough decision. I would probably use the 2-socket one and put an Eth in the second socket--whirlers usually don't have the greatest AR so the -25% enemy defense may help your damage more than the extra %ED.

If you have a Highlords wrath, use that over Crescent moon. If you don't have that, maybe angelic ammy+ring? Ravenfrost isn't necessary with a whirler, so you could use angelics+rare ring with resists and life leech. I'd also use Arreats over any other barb helm.

don't be so hasty in disregarding some of the common runewords. Tombreaver is very nice, though. But there are some cool things on the common runewords such as: voice of reason, Lawbringer,...and for a polearm one stands out above all else: Obedience (RWM only).

30% Chance To Cast Level 21 Enchant When You Kill An Enemy
40% Faster Hit Recovery
+370% Enhanced Damage
-25% Target Defense
Adds 3-14 Cold Damage
-25% To Enemy Fire Resistance
40% Chance of Crushing Blow
+200-300 Defense (varies)
+10 To Strength
+10 To Dexterity
All Resistances +20-30 (varies)
Requirements -20%

resistances, massive crushing blow (less useful for WW but still...), base defence, massive AR from enchant, FHR...however you would need life leech from rings and so on.

Also, depending on which version you are playing, WW is now effected by weapon speed. You may want to consider 2 2-handers.

Biggest problem with Tomb Reaver--Lvl 84. I too plan to make a polearm whirler, but you could finish hell before you can use it.

Why isn't Ravenfrost necessary?
I don't have Highlord's :(, but I do have Atma's, Mara's and Cat's Eye. Which one would be better?

@Cor Blimey thanks for bringing up Obedience. I do have it on a Thresher weilded by my Fishymancer merc. But it doesn't have IAS?

yeah the level req of Tombreaver sucks. :(

I'm planning on doing a Doombringer/Grandfather or Bul-Kathos whirler next, that is when I find a Grandfather or BKSC.

Being chilled doesn't affect your attack speed while in a whirl, only your movement speed, so you actually stay in range of your target longer.

From the three amulets I'd pick Mara's, or Angelic, if you have problems with attack rating.

Obedience is no good, since it has no IAS. It's not a bad idea to keep it on switch just for the enchant, though. IIRC, the breakpoints for non-sword 2hander are -60, -30 and -10? That means Obedience would hit-check once only 8 frames, or about 3 times per second.

Attack speed when using whirwind is only dependant on IAS on the weapon, meaning being chilled doesn`T slow you down when attacking:) However, it makes you run like an old man and I believe in mobility, so +1 for Ravenfrost here. Your Atma`s is a bad choice for a WW barb since the CtC amp won`t trigger during WW. Angelics are a fine choice since you don`t have highlord`s, but it puts a strain on your other equipment. You basically need Mana Leech from your Gloves or Belt (not easy to get) and Life Leech from at least one of those slots as well if you decide to use Ravenfrost in addition to Angelics:( Blood Crafts might help you out, but Soul Drainer + String of Ears is very solid if you got them.

I had the same problem before I found Highlord`s, it`s very difficult to find a good amulet for a WW barb.

The level req for Tomb Reaver is annoying, but you will have the opportunity to run pits for a while when you`re leveling so you might find some good stuff. Angelics (you will need the AR without a mastery) and Ribcracker followed by Bonehew and it shouldn`t be hard to get to lvl 84.

Double-shael'd Bonehew will get you through Hell just fine while you're waiting for level 84. It does about as much damage so you'll be killing fine--the advantage of the Tomb Reaver is the great resists and MF, which makes it easier to gear up for MFing.

I think BotD is the only RuneWord that 1) is makeable in a polearm, and 2) has enough IAS to reach 4fpa whirl in a polearm. :p

Personally, I used Ravenfrost while questing because it sucks to be chilled by something that runs away from you, but I took the Ravenfrost (and all other sources of cold damage) off for MFing because you can't hork the shattered corpses.

Personally, I used Ravenfrost while questing because it sucks to be chilled by something that runs away from you, but I took the Ravenfrost (and all other sources of cold damage) off for MFing because you can't hork the shattered corpses.

Good point. It depends on where you MF, though. If you`re running the pits, the shattering isn`t really a problem. Half the boss packs are CI and you don`t shatter all that many of the other half either considering they are Cold Enchanted sometimes and the merc gets a couple of kill every now and then.

Add in the fact that Pits is a relatively large area and being chilled is slowing you down considerably, I think it makes sense to use Raven Frost there.

For Pindle it seems like a huge waste, though.

Good point. It depends on where you MF, though. If you`re running the pits, the shattering isn`t really a problem. Half the boss packs are CI and you don`t shatter all that many of the other half either considering they are Cold Enchanted sometimes and the merc gets a couple of kill every now and then.

Add in the fact that Pits is a relatively large area and being chilled is slowing you down considerably, I think it makes sense to use Raven Frost there.

For Pindle it seems like a huge waste, though.
Given that Pindle is an enormous glass cannon, I'd just use Nagels here (alternatively dwarf stars to deal with his uber-bolts). You get mana leech from Ghoulhide and Life Leech from SoE and Arreat's.

just reached lvl 56 and using my upped Ribcracker. Having second thoughts about the Tombreaver. lol. This weapon is seriously overpowered.

Why that? It's a fast hitting skill. Or is CB nerfed for WW?

No, it isn`t nerfed. I have no idea about that quote either.

Just to start a debate here:) I find Crushing Blow to be one of the most overrated things in this game. It doesn`t do all that much against regular monsters since you`re killing them in 5 hits anyway. The only fights it actually helps alot in are against Act bosses and those aren`t exactly the most dangerous monsters in the game. I know you usually don`t have to choose between damage and CB, but if you have to.......Damage>>>>>>CB.

Edit: If you don`t agree, I think you should start a Hunger druid with 100% CB and tons of elemental damage. It is one horrible experience, I can tell you:)

Only noobs* play on p1, normal people play p8 all the way. And on p8 crushing blow is pretty useless. It's nice to have for Baal though.

*sarcasm

tldr: I agree with thomh.

I find that CB makes an enormous difference, in [highlight]particular[/highlight] on p8. Since the percentual damage is lower, the total damage racks up to far more than on p1.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High