1.10s beta runeword miniguide

purplelocust

Nov 4, 2003
1.10s beta runeword miniguide

[highlight]
1.10s beta runewords summary
[/highlight]

This is a comparison of selected runewords which differ in the 1.10s beta and 1.10final and later. I will indicate 1.10 final and later (1.11, 1.12, 1.13) as 1.10+ in the following. This info used to be in the wiki but since I can't find it there, this is a summary as there have been some questions coming up. One thing to make sure to keep straight is that there are two 1.10 betas: 1.10a and 1.10s. These are the 1.10s runewords. The main attraction of 1.10a is the +2 BKWB ring, described in this other miniguide. Do not get confused between the two 1.10 betas!

There is a great deal of helpful info about earlier versions:

Jaedhann's guide to time travel which links to many resources

Thyiad's sticky about versions

There are four runewords which had much better stats in 1.10s than in the final 1.10 and later versions that people generally consider as being worth the trouble. It is much harder to get decent rune wealth in the earlier versions, so that is something to consider.

[highlight]Call To Arms[/highlight]

The big differences are in the OSkill warcry levels:
1.10s beta:
level 5-15 Battle Orders
level 5-20 Battle Command
level 10-13 Battle Cry
with a +2 to all skills (which affects OSkills, including warcries)

instead of
1.10+
level 1-6 Battle Orders
level 2-6 Battle Command
level 1-4 Battle Cry
with a +1 to all skills

Code:
Call to Arms 1.10s
5 socket Weapons 
Amn + Ral + Mal + Ist + Ohm in 1.10s (does work if brought forward)
+2 All Skills 
+40% Increased Attack Speed 
+250-290% Enhanced Damage (varies) 
Adds 5-30 Fire Damage 
7% Life Stolen Per Hit 
+5-20 To Battle Command Varies) 
+5-15 To Battle Orders (varies) 
+10-13 To Battle Cry (varies) 
Prevent Monster Heal 
Replenish Life +12 
+30% Better Chance Of Getting Magical Items

1.10+

Code:
Call To Arms final
5 Socket Weapons
Amn + Ral + Mal + Ist + Ohm
+1 To All Skills
+250-290% Enhanced Damage (varies)
Adds 5-30 Fire Damage
7% Life Stolen Per Hit
+2-6 To Battle Command (varies)*
+1-6 To Battle Orders (varies)*
+1-4 To Battle Cry (varies)*
Prevent Monster Heal
Replenish Life +12
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Note: don't get confused about 1.10a Call to Arms. That one has the same nice mods as 1.10s but requires different runes:
Amn + Ral + Mal + Ist in 1.10a. It will work fine in 1.10a (and is a lot less expensive there as no Ohm is required) but if brought forward to any later version, it stops working altogether (except for the innate rune mods, but that's not what anyone wants it for.)

[highlight]Crescent Moon[/highlight]

The big differences here are better CtC percentage:20% for Static Field instead of 7% as well as better ED% (220-260% instead of 180-220%)

Code:
Crescent Moon 1.10s beta
3 Socket Axes/Swords/Polearms 
Shael + Um + Tir 
-35% To Enemy Lightning Resistance 
Ignore Targets Defence 
+220-260% Enhanced Damage (varies) 
20% Chance To Cast Level 13 Static Field On Striking 
10% Chance To Cast Level 17 Chain Lightning On Striking 
+20% Increased Attack Speed 
25% Chance Of Open Wounds 
+9-11 Magic Absorb (varies) 
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30 Charges)

Code:
Crescent Moon 1.10+
3 Socket Axes/Swords/Polearms
Shael + Um + Tir
-35% To Enemy Lightning Resistance
Ignore Target's Defense
+180-220% Enhanced Damage (varies)
7% Chance To Cast Level 13 Static Field On Striking
10% Chance To Cast Level 17 Chain Lightning On Striking
25% Chance of Open Wounds
+9-11 Magic Absorb (varies)
+2 To Mana After Each Kill
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (30 Charges)

[highlight]Bramble[/highlight]

The huge difference here is the +poison skill damage. A huge range (+69-207%) for the 1.10s beta and a much smaller and narrower one for the final: (+25-50%)

Code:
Bramble 1.10s
Body Armor 
Ral + Ohm + Sur + Eth 
+69-207% To Poison Skill Damage (varies) 
+50% Faster Hit Recovery 
+300 Defence 
Level 15-21 Thorns Aura When Equipped (varies)
Increase Maximum Mana 5%
+13 Life After Each Kill 
+5% To Maximum Cold Resist 
+30% Fire Resist 
+100% Poison Resist 
Level 13 Spirit of Barbs (33 Charges)

Code:
Bramble 1.10+
Body Armor
Ral + Ohm + Sur + Eth
+25-50% To Poison Skill Damage (varies)
+50% Faster Hit Recovery
+300 Defense
Level 15-21 Thorns Aura When Equipped (varies)
Increase Maximum Mana 5%
+13 Life After Each Kill
Regenerate Mana 15%
+5% To Maximum Cold Resist
+30% Fire Resist 
+100% Poison Resist 
Level 13 Spirit of Barbs (33 Charges)

[highlight]Delirium[/highlight]

The biggest difference here is the CtC Confuse: 33% in the 1.10s beta version, versus 11% in the final. The other CtC are also higher, but Confuse is the main one. Given that the final version Confuse triggers pretty often, the beta one just goes off nonstop, it seems.

Code:
Delirium 1.10s
3 Socket Helm 
Lem + Ist + Io 
1% Chance To Cast Level 50 Delirium When Struck 
10% Chance To Cast Level 14 Mind Blast When Struck 
20% Chance To Cast Level 13 Terror When Struck 
33% Chance To Cast Level 18 Confuse On Striking 
+2 All Skills 
+261 Defence
+10 To Vitality
+50% Extra Gold From Monsters 
+25% Chance Of Getting Magical Items 
Level 17 Attract (60 Charges)

Code:
Delirium final
3 Socket Helm
Lem + Ist + Io
1% Chance To Cast Level 50 Delirium (morph) When Struck
6% Chance To Cast Level 14 Mind Blast When Struck
14% Chance To Cast Level 13 Terror When Struck
11% Chance To Cast Level 18 Confuse On Striking
+2 To All Skills
+261 Defense
+10 To Vitality
+50% Extra Gold From Monsters
+25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Level 17 Attract (60 Charges)

Last edited:
Re: 1.10s beta runeword miniguide

What to make these runewords in:

A common choice for beta Call to Arms is in something with low requirements, despite the big ED%. The idea there is that the runeword is very general purpose, so low requirements make it more versatile. Another possible choice is to make it in a scepter with useful staffmods, to help a paladin. A great choice there is in a +Holy Shield scepter, as Holy Shield is a prebuff and having it as a staffmod saves not only a point in Holy Shield, but also possibly in the prereqs. Since Holy Shield doesn't easily spawn on 1.10 scepters, getting one in 1.07 to 1.09 is a common choice there.

Crescent Moon works well in a Phase Blade for a tesladin. It also works very well as a merc weapon, so putting it in an ethereal 1.07 base item can give a very high damage merc weapon which is usable quite early in the game.

Delirium can be made in any 3 socket hat- common choices are tiaras, diadems or masks for low requirements. It can also be made in druid or barb pelts with staffmods, which gives those bonuses but reduces the versatility.

Last edited:

This is a draft, comments welcome! I'll try to get organized and post some ATMA readouts as examples.

Example of a 1.10s Crescent Moon in a 1.07 ethereal thresher:

Code:
Crescent Moon 
Thresher 
ShaelUmTir 
Two Hand Damage: 73 - 862 
Durability: 33 of 33 
Required Level: 53 
Required Strength: 142 
Required Dexterity: 108 
Fingerprint: 0x12b906eb 
Item Level: 87 
Version: Expansion 
20% Chance to cast level 13 Static Field on striking 
10% Chance to cast level 17 Chain Lightning on striking 
309% Enhanced Damage 
Ignore Target's Defense 
-35% to Enemy Lightning Resistance 
25% Chance of Open Wounds 
+10 Magic Absorb 
+2 to Mana after each Kill 
Level 18 Summon Spirit Wolf (4/30 Charges)
Ethereal

(that's pretty overpowering in a level 53 merc's hands, although he'll need +stat gear to equip it at that level)

Looking good! One thing that I thought about when reading it though, is that I think for a guide I would try not to put my own values on if the differences between RW versions. For example you write "nice mods", "huge difference", "huge range".

Very clear and certainly useful, thanks for writing this purple :thumbup:

Very nice guide, handy to have all of the numbers in one place for easy access.

One small nitpick though:

Delirium can be made in any 3 socket hat- common choices are coronets ...

Coronets max at 2os.

Looking good! One thing that I thought about when reading it though, is that I think for a guide I would try not to put my own values on if the differences between RW versions. For example you write "nice mods", "huge difference", "huge range".

I find some analysis in guides generally pretty helpful. The range on Bramble is indeed huge- a low roll Bramble 69% versus a high roll Bramble at 207% (where did those numbers come from?) is an exceptionally large range, particularly for such an expensive runeword. Given how much people obsess over much more minute differences in +ED% on other runewords, I think it should be mentioned. I don't know of any other runeword where the prime modifier that people care about has such a huge range. A 69% bonus to 100 poison damage gives 169, but the +207% would bring it to 307. Not quite twice as much, but almost!

I have a 1.07 Sur that I'd like to make a 1.10s beta Bramble with, but I haven't yet done, partly because such a big variation makes me nervous! Also, I have a zillion mules I still need to bring forward to 1.10 to get their forge rewards still. And I have a lot of other projects underway...

Fantastic! This is a great post - this information is often referenced but finally we have an easy, go-to source! I would like to suggest some discussion about preferred bases for these weapons.

I'm planning on CM in a PB (actually I think I'll make 2), a Legend Sword, and an eth 1.07 3os Thresher. I'm wondering if it makes sense to make it in a normal Thresher for a WereDruid.

For Delirium, I was thinking to make it in a Demonhead, but it looks like a Mask is the better base? Seems like an eth Demonhead would be a nice option for a merc.

CTA... I know a Flail or War Scepter is the prefered base (I have found a couple War Scepters with +Holy Shield staffmod), but it's a travesty how such nice melee mods are wasted - what about making it in a Divine Scepter?

I guess Bramble would go in an AP or DS?

@RobbyD: glad you like it!

I have plans for a beta CtA in a Caduceus, where the melee mods are useful. I know of some who have made it in elite bows, where the melee mods are also quite useful.

Crescent Moon is an excellent value and probably the one of the four that you are most likely to make multiple copies of. Phase Blade is a great choice for a Tesladin, and a non-ethereal elite polearm is a good option for a bear. Any fast hitter will appreciate the static going off so much.

The fact that Crescent Moon can't be made in a spear is confirmation that Amazons are still being punished for their days at the front of the pack in 1.09!

For Bramble, it's +300 defense instead of +EDef% so to my mind, there isn't much point in putting it in a high-defense armor. In general, I don't worry about defense except on melee mercs and specialized high-defense builds, so I would vote for a breast plate. That's what I made my 1.10 Enigma in, but I know opinions vary about a choice of base there. Bramble is most likely to be used either by a poisonmancer or for a poison javelin build, neither of which has a great need for high defense. A venom-based build is also a possibility, but again I don't see huge defense as being overly important there.

@RobbyD: glad you like it!

Yes I do, as I keep telling myself I'm going to move on from 1.09 one of these days.

I have plans for a beta CtA in a Caduceus, where the melee mods are useful. I know of some who have made it in elite bows, where the melee mods are also quite useful.

The melee mods ARE very good (Honor on steroids) but I guess the expense is such that it's a lot of work to just get 1. It would probably make sense to make 2 of these - one in a War Scepter or Knout, and 1 in something hard-hitting.

Crescent Moon is an excellent value and probably the one of the four that you are most likely to make multiple copies of. Phase Blade is a great choice for a Tesladin, and a non-ethereal elite polearm is a good option for a bear. Any fast hitter will appreciate the static going off so much.

My first planned 1.13 character is indeed a Teslot with a beta CM PB, with CtA in a +HS Scepter on switch.

The fact that Crescent Moon can't be made in a spear is confirmation that Amazons are still being punished for their days at the front of the pack in 1.09!

Well, I don't know about that. The 1.09 Bow runewords suck eggs (except for the prohibitively expensive Silence, and it's not technically a "Bow" RW). 1.10 did introduce actual good bow RWs.

For Bramble, it's +300 defense instead of +EDef% so to my mind, there isn't much point in putting it in a high-defense armor. In general, I don't worry about defense except on melee mercs and specialized high-defense builds, so I would vote for a breast plate. That's what I made my 1.10 Enigma in, but I know opinions vary about a choice of base there. Bramble is most likely to be used either by a poisonmancer or for a poison javelin build, neither of which has a great need for high defense. A venom-based build is also a possibility, but again I don't see huge defense as being overly important there.

Well, I agree for a Necro, but I would say that a DS/AP make sense for a Zon or (especially) a Sin. Thing is, you've REALLY accomplished something if you can make just one of these in 1.10s, so a universally available base would make sense.

Code:
Call to Arms 1.10s
5 socket Weapons 
Amn + Ral + Mal + Ist + Ohm in 1.10s (does work if brought forward)
+2 All Skills 
[highlight]+200-240% Enhanced Damage (varies) [/highlight]
Adds 5-30 Fire Damage 
7% Life Stolen Per Hit 
+5-20 To Battle Command Varies) 
+5-15 To Battle Orders (varies) 
+10-13 To Battle Cry (varies) 
Prevent Monster Heal 
Replenish Life +12 
+30% Better Chance Of Getting Magical Items
The ED can't be right. I made this yesterday, and it was a regular non-superior War Scepter:

Code:
Call to Arms 
War Scepter 
AmnRalMalIstOhm 
One Hand Damage: 35 - 59 
Durability: 70 of 70 
Required Level: 57 
Required Strength: 55 
Fingerprint: 0x32e8cbe9 
GUID: 0x9033ef07 0x29e53a13 0x0 
+2 to All Skills 
[highlight]251% Enhanced Damage [/highlight]
+150% Damage to Undead 
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage 
7% Life stolen per hit 
Prevent Monster Heal 
+1 to Conversion (Paladin Only) 
+3 to Holy Shield (Paladin Only) 
+1 to Sanctuary (Paladin Only) 
+13 to Battle Cry 
+12 to Battle Orders 
+5 to Battle Command 
Replenish Life +12 
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 5 Sockets (5 used) 
Socketed: Amn Rune 
Socketed: Ral Rune 
Socketed: Mal Rune 
Socketed: Ist Rune 
Socketed: Ohm Rune

I believe the stats posted are for the 1.10a CtA (Amn + Ral + Mal + Ist), the 1.10s CtA (Amn + Ral + Mal + Ist + Ohm), has the same stats, but gets the 50%ED from the Ohm, resulting in +250-290%ED.

WoRG

The ED can't be right. I made this yesterday, and it was a regular non-superior War Scepter:

Code:
Call to Arms 
War Scepter 
AmnRalMalIstOhm 
One Hand Damage: 35 - 59 
Durability: 70 of 70 
Required Level: 57 
Required Strength: 55 
Fingerprint: 0x32e8cbe9 
GUID: 0x9033ef07 0x29e53a13 0x0 
+2 to All Skills 
[highlight]251% Enhanced Damage [/highlight]
+150% Damage to Undead 
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage 
7% Life stolen per hit 
Prevent Monster Heal 
+1 to Conversion (Paladin Only) 
+3 to Holy Shield (Paladin Only) 
+1 to Sanctuary (Paladin Only) 
+13 to Battle Cry 
+12 to Battle Orders 
+5 to Battle Command 
Replenish Life +12 
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items 5 Sockets (5 used) 
Socketed: Amn Rune 
Socketed: Ral Rune 
Socketed: Mal Rune 
Socketed: Ist Rune 
Socketed: Ohm Rune

Well, well, well - it looks like the one downfall of making this in 1.10s - the lower ED range - is wrong, or at least not as bad as the sources list. I really REALLY want to make this in a viable melee weapon.

@WoRG - That simple, logical explanation has, of course, never crossed my mind.

@LFD - sorry about the epic bad roll on your CtA - yeah you got +12 BO, but the bottom of the ED range!

Yeop, WoRG is right. My 1.10s CtA has 271ED.

No problem. As you mentioned, people usually make it for the oskills, not the ED. So I can live with the crappy ED roll and I'll get over the perfect low Battle Command roll, too ;).

P.S.: Thanks for the guide. Always good to have a place to look up the stats for those runewords.

sorry for bringing this thread up, but I have googled for a while and not gotten an answer to a question I have.
I am intending to bring some chars from 1.07 to 1.10s, but I cannot find a guide as to all the available runewords in this patch. My current source is the wiki, where it lists available runewords in 1.09, 1.10, and 1.11+.
My question is: are all the runewords available in "1.10" available in all the 1.10 versions (including 1.10a, 1.10s, 1.10 final)? e.g. is "spirit" possible in 1.10a or 1.10s?
thanks for any replies!

Ladder runewords aren't available in the beta 1.10 patches - those were SP only. So no Spirit, Grief, etc. But you can make HoTO, CoH, etc.

thanks for the quick reply robby. so does that mean I cannot install RWM and make use of that?

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High