RFL 2021 When?

Based on the feedback, I'd like to try the Friday 0:00 to Sunday 23:59 format, which still allows three weekends to be captured within each round as a reasonable timeframe for a 20-hour set.

The RFL format is lengthy with the full three weeks per round and then 7 days between, and my sense from prior years is that those last four weekdays generally have mattered more to people running multiple sets (or three sets, ahem, @art_vandelay :)) than those who might not enter at all due to concerns about finishing a full 20-hour set. This basically ends up as a compromise between the original format in 2017 and the longer format used since then. Depending on how it goes, we can reassess for future years.

Given the interest in earlier start, let's aim for March 5 start date, which would give the following timing:
  • Round 1 (Cows): 0:00 Friday, March 5 through 23:59 Sunday, March 21
  • Round 2 (Travincal): 0:00 Friday, March 26 through 23:59 Sunday, April 11
  • Round 3 (Areas): 0:00 Friday, April 16 through 23:59 Sunday, May 2
And let's open up other versions, given that v1.07 has already been included. @art_vandelay I don't understand the v1.07 numbers, but I'll PM you to sort it out.

Looking forward to it, @all. I'll post the Round 1 thread next weekend or so. Moo!

March 5th?! Better get working on that trav zealot!

So, the question remains.
Dual-Dream conviction zealot? (I have *just* enough HC runes left over to make both Dreams)
Standard-gear conviction zealot?
Pure physical Fanat-Zealot?
Some weird other variant?

Is the extra damage from dual-dreams worth it? Or should I focus on physical damage/survivability with those two slots? Hmmmmmm

Last edited:
Reactions: Luhkoh
March 5th?! Better get working on that trav zealot!

So, the question remains.
Dual-Dream conviction zealot? (I have *just* enough HC runes left over to make both Dreams)
Standard-gear conviction zealot?
Some weird other variant?

Is the extra damage from dual-dreams worth it? Or should I focus on physical damage/survivability with those two slots? Hmmmmmm

If I could, I would personally try an absorb jewelry build (fire + lightning, alongside Raven frost), and work with the Dual Dream + Grief, CoH (not sure absorb is enough to allow Enigma...counting on charge!). Well...Maybe I'll have my HC Zealer out for this round again, even if I'll be that poor running guy! #decisions

• Love
Reactions: Pb_pal
@ffs yeah I was messaging art_v today about what clvls the exp method for cow counting works with, and then remembered the runcounter works for this! Should be good for everything except wraith counting in round 3. Now i'll know for sure the depressing truth on my cow running efficiency :D.

@Pb_pal Definitely physical imo. With half the council being breakable light immune, even with cmoon, physical damage blows it out of the water. Not to mention physical damage is leechable ;). I ran some calcs on that a long time ago. The dual dream zealot will still be effective though according to those calcs, just not as good. Interested to see what you go with!

@Vildecor now THATs a starter kit. A 3/15 blizz ormus in there?! But a 34fcr spirit shield haha. pb_pal is the man!

Last edited:
@Pb_pal Definitely physical imo. With half the council being breakable light immune, even with cmoon, physical damage blows it out of the water. Not to mention physical damage is leechable ;). I ran some calcs on that a long time ago. The dual dream zealot will still be effective though according to those calcs, just not as good. Interested to see what you go with!
Okay that makes sense. I think I'm more comfortable with a physical-based build as well, so the leech can help keep him alive reliably.

Loose plans so far will just be your standard Fanatical Zealot, loads of CB/DS, an inventory filled with fine/sharp charms, and hopefully an Enigma if I can get the resists I need elsewhere (I think I can).

Guillaumes
Enigma
Grief
HoZ
Highlord's
Raven froat/Dwarf Star
LoH
String of Ears
Gore Riders

Merc:
Reapers
Steel Shade
Fortitude

I won't bother with MF, instead I'm going to opt for kill-speed and survivability. Fill some sockets for resists where I need them and go from there.

Now I just gotta create the guy. Oh, and level him. And roll a map..

@Pb_pal excelllent. I tested out a couple of setups back in that runefinding tour thread i made here, but many were definitely not hc appropriate. Could always just respec ned for trav, but that does seem a bit blasphemous :p. Also you need the GA, kiras setup on the merc if you arent running your own conviction aura, and might want a smidge of mana leech somewhere (I ran a dual leech rare ring with AR instead of dwarf). Have fun! My zealot was enjoyable but nothing amazing in speed (though his map wasnt that good). Hope you enjoy him!

EDIT: iirc @b1ur did a lot of hc trav zealot running. And I want to say he used grief/hoz, but maybe he can confirm?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pb_pal
Time-table seems good. Now to pick what&when to run. Maybe 1.07, since I'll probably be running cows in there for experience; or perhaps LK for charms and jewels?

I have my pure Nova Sorc for 1.13 Arcane Sanctuary, and I think there's some real potential in there. Particularly with good map. Maybe she's a candidate? Who knows. Looking forward for this, but hard to promise that I will actually have any time to play.

Would someone please share a link to the new run counter we may use for the upcoming RFL?

Is that what you are looking for?
Yes, that's what I was looking for. Now I have to figure out how to get it to work. I can't run it or even delete it after the download - It behaves as if my antimalware quarantines it.

@ffs @art_vandelay or anyone else. How are you guys planning on accounting for raka's pack with the new runcounter? I was thinking about just doing like 50 wirt's leg runs to start the set, and deduct the average of the monsters killed from the cows from then on, but s/e lag after the leg costs a nontrivial amount of time that I wouldn't get with a tp. So maybe I'll just do 30 runs before the set starts and not keep the legs? Either way sort of annoying it wont be exact unless you batch run all the legs.

I'd take the same approach, used the same when I estiated kills with XP method. Just run Rakanishu 20 times and deduct average kills (instead of XP). Doesn't need to be with the RFL timer running, could just do that before it starts. Maybe even 50-100 times if you want to be more thorough. :)

Considering that I'm running 1.09 cows and Raka + pack at p9 gives about 3k XP at clvl 91 or higher while a single p9 Cow gives about 4 to 10 times that (depending on character level) I'm not gonna bother with calcing him out.

A shame that modern Rakanishu gives "decent" XP. But maybe one can still ignore him if the build only needs to kill a single minion to make him scatter or none at all. Works well with fire based builds where the merc can easily get a kill when you telestomp the red portal.

For modern Java you have to include him I guess...

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High