Discussion What does D4 need to have for you to buy it?

In The Name of Zod

Jul 13, 2007
When Diablo 3 launched back way when there was not the level of competition on the playing field of action role playing games as there are today. Give a person choice, the ability to play prospector and suddenly our alliances to said faction can become a little foggy. The point is, many of the players who were shoe horned into D3 due to a lack of other options are now all over the place. Blizzard are going to have a much harder time filling orders for D4 than D3 simply because of the number of other arpg's out there.

So how can Blizzard make D4 the arpg that everyone wants in on? What does it need for you to pick it up for x$ over the many other arpg's out there that are cheaper or free and can introduce or improve on anything in D4 anyhow. What is the kicker that is needed to move D4 in your opinion?

Good question and I am not sure if there is one answer to this. The game's style/visuals will play a part in enticing people. D3 got a lot of criticism for that. I also think game systems like the skill tree will be important for fans, especially D2 players who were disappointed with D3. Same goes for itemisation and how that will work.

Blizzard has lost a lot of goodwill over the past few years and they won't find it as easy this time to break through but the press will play a huge part in enticing players to pick it up. That is also a real danger because let's face it, the press is not exactly impartial when it comes to anything with a Blizzard badge on it.

Yes, a lot of people use youtuber's for news too. Those viewers may not account for a many as far as unit sales goes but many of them know people who talk. That whole word of mouth thing starts to kick in here. So if the youtube media don't buy D4, well. I mention them because they do tend to represent the more critical portion of the media. We all know that the larger corporations just take some cash and give the game a tick regardless. It won't matter how bad it is. There are some youtuber's that will also fall into this category unfortunately.

Blizzard still have to claw back the gamers who left for POE and Grim Dawn or just left for whatever reason. If they fail to do that then they will be dealing with a new market that could be stolen from them again. They are going to have to spend up to pull those guys in. Either way it all equals expenditure. I just can't see a way that D4 will not be expensive to play at least for the short to medium term post release to make up for all the expenses gone into it.

Players who moved on to POE etc will be keeping an eye on how Blizzard supports the game too. If it's a one-off purchase with a couple of expansions it's not exactly enticing. With POE cranking out a few updates a year that expand the game, and unless Blizzard so something similar, it could struggle. As for Youtubers, I trust them the least of all. Having worked in sales and marketing with Youtubers on campaigns last year, they will say just about anything for a decent ad deal. It's really depressing. When they want 10K to produce three 15 minute videos, well they can GTFO as far as I am concerned :)

I think they are on the right track, but it remains to be seen. Blizzard's animations are superior above the other ARPGs out there. Gameplay for D3 is not as for me nearly ever class feels the same save a few builds and the only difference is the animations. ( I believe it is actually fixable if they wanted to do it, but it would require almost a WOW (level cap to 60, they need a capped paragon IMO) like fix in reducing how the game is interacted with and the removal of trade is another issue outright)
Players who moved on to POE etc will be keeping an eye on how Blizzard supports the game too. If it's a one-off purchase with a couple of expansions it's not exactly enticing. With POE cranking out a few updates a year that expand the game, and unless Blizzard so something similar, it could struggle. As for Youtubers, I trust them the least of all. Having worked in sales and marketing with Youtubers on campaigns last year, they will say just about anything for a decent ad deal. It's really depressing. When they want 10K to produce three 15 minute videos, well they can GTFO as far as I am concerned :)
I'll hit the Youtube thing, that is insane, then again when a few of the highest paid people are making 30-40k per sponsored post, it makes the ones not their greedy I guess. I personally don't watch any streaming of a game and if I do it usually is to figure something out. Then again I'd rather play a game than watch someone else play it.

I think your right on the updates, and not of the crap season variety they are putting out. I know if they don't have an equal playing field at the end game and are just pushing higher and higher "gear scores" over builds it will be a turn off personally.

Additionally, if the gear choices are as minimal as Primary Stat, Vit, CHC, CHD, Cooldown, and Attack Speed I fail to see how the game will gain a strong following. The amount of variety of other games is good and a game should require outside knowledge of modifiers an some character planning other than gear with basically a green is good red is bad mentality.

Last edited:
Additionally, if the gear choices are as minimal as Primary Stat, Vit, CHC, CHD, Cooldown, and Attack Speed I fail to see how the game will gain a strong following. The amount of variety of other games is good and a game should require outside basically a green is good red is bad mentality.
Yes, I agree with that in-so-far that dumbing things down past the point of D3 would be a huge mistake. We know they will do it again though because Blizzard guys can't help themselves. They will likely dumb things down and then rename whatever they dumbed to make it seem more complex or gain more attention. Just like what they've done with ancestral powers which too me made no sense all. It makes no difference to using the primary stat for equipping gear unless ancestral powers gets used for more than just equipping gear. But that would make things more complex so we know they won't do that lol. Was that too harsh? :unsure:

Blizzard don't have a chance of pulling back the stead fast crowd of POE players. That would be like expecting people who play war games with miniatures to go back to playing with their toy cars in the sandpit. Those people are happy where they are now, they have their more complex arpg.

It would appear to me that Blizzard have cut out their niche of being the makers of games for new players. Unless they step things up in trying to appeal to an older more experienced audience they will be stuck haplessly watching other game developers steal their customers one generation after another.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with that in-so-far that dumbing things down past the point of D3 would be a huge mistake. We know they will do it again though because Blizzard guys can't help themselves. They will likely dumb things down and then rename whatever they dumbed to make it seem more complex or gain more attention. Just like what they've done with ancestral powers which too me made no sense all. It makes no difference to using the primary stat for equipping gear unless ancestral powers gets used for more than just equipping gear. But that would make things more complex so we know they won't do that lol. Was that too harsh? :unsure:

Blizzard don't have a chance of pulling back the stead fast crowd of POE players. That would be like expecting people who play war games with miniatures to go back to playing with their toy cars in the sandpit. Those people are happy where they are now, they have their more complex arpg.

It would appear to me that Blizzard have cut out their niche of being the makers of games for new players. Unless they step things up in trying to appeal to an older more experienced audience they will be stuck haplessly watching other game developers steal their customers one generation after another.

I don't think they will touch the die-hard POE fans. Most people I play with are in camp 1, POE is a good game and enjoy it; or camp 2, they can't stand POE. Now POE I think is trying to solve that with 2.0 and the new campaign. (I have never finished all ten acts, my last attempt made it to 7 before I grew bored of the game) and moved on.

Reactions: In The Name of Zod
More adult story, themes, visuals, art, animation. Nudity and gore. D3 feels like a hard teen despite its mature rating. I want to be disturbed, disgusted, or otherwise outright scared to enter hell or progress forward in the game.

More adult story, themes, visuals, art, animation. Nudity and gore. D3 feels like a hard teen despite its mature rating. I want to be disturbed, disgusted, or otherwise outright scared to enter hell or progress forward in the game.
Real fear is what is needed when you enter a zone. Diablo 1 got that right in the end level against the big guy.

D2 did a pretty good job at it too. Although D2 had more unique monster packs that you would encounter along the way. It's easy to under state the importance of the random encounter. I personally wish that we might see something like L4D/L4D2's director where you will get attacked for just standing still. A hoard manager would be a nice addition to these games. We are here for the crowd control experience right?

When Diablo 3 launched back way when there was not the level of competition on the playing field of action role playing games as there are today. Give a person choice, the ability to play prospector and suddenly our alliances to said faction can become a little foggy. The point is, many of the players who were shoe horned into D3 due to a lack of other options are now all over the place. Blizzard are going to have a much harder time filling orders for D4 than D3 simply because of the number of other arpg's out there.

So how can Blizzard make D4 the arpg that everyone wants in on? What does it need for you to pick it up for x$ over the many other arpg's out there that are cheaper or free and can introduce or improve on anything in D4 anyhow. What is the kicker that is needed to move D4 in your opinion?
I need to see a proper and robust PvP implemented. It was a huge disappointment when D3 failed to deliver on its PvP promise.

I need to see a proper and robust PvP implemented. It was a huge disappointment when D3 failed to deliver on its PvP promise.
Agreed. This was also one of my biggest disappointments with D3 compared to D2. We need good PvP, but who am I kidding I'm buying it regardless...:ROFLMAO:

Agreed. This was also one of my biggest disappointments with D3 compared to D2. We need good PvP, but who am I kidding I'm buying it regardless...:ROFLMAO:
Hehe yep we still love it and will buy it....but the reason I grind in PvE and work on builds, farm gear, items, sets, etc. is to do PvP. You cannot create the same thrill in PvE. Plus Id like to see organized games in PvP...what would be the icing on the cake is if they introduce factions...for example Angels, Demons, and Humans. You pick your side, do your PvE content, however Humans have a Crusader, Demons have a Dark Knight, and Angels a Paladin...its basically the same class minus a tweak here and there but visually different.

So imagine out in open world PvP the amazing 3 way battles that could happen...or the organized games are now 3 way. Would be crazy fun and add such longevity to this game.

Reactions: MWLnGa
I'll be buying it no matter what especially seeing as I have $170 Blizzard Balance that I will never spend unless for a D2 Remaster/D4. I'd really like to see the pace of play more towards the Diablo 2 side. Although I love each Diablo game for what it is I think D1 is too slow, D3 is too fast and D2 is paced just right. This and the itemization is really important to me, I don't want a loot fiesta like POE where loot filters are needed. I'd also like to go back to the feeling of being a peasant who is tasked with saving the day not some Nephilim demigod.

I would like there to be Single Player, or at least the option to actually Pause the game.
You can pause D3 if your playing solo (Now if your talking about pausing and picking up in the morning, you are correct then you can't pause as you'll get booted offline first)

Reactions: coju
It will have to have reasonable system specs. I won't be investing in new HW for a few years yet.

Reactions: Steel Onion
You can pause D3 if your playing solo (Now if your talking about pausing and picking up in the morning, you are correct then you can't pause as you'll get booted offline first)
Oh that's neat! I did not know that. As long as that's still in, well, it is one of the two games I do plan on buying full price at release. Elden Ring being the other. I would just really like the ability to pause the game while questing solo in D4.

It will have to have reasonable system specs. I won't be investing in new HW for a few years yet.

Gotta agree on this one. Not gonna buy it if I think it's going to fry my video card and/or the lowest settings make the thing look like it released on the PS1. And no, I'm not on a potato. I just can't afford to upgrade my machine every single year.

Also, would definitely like to see the necromancer return. It's not make or break on whether I buy the game or not, but it's my favorite class by far so for me that would worth quite a few points in the "buy it" category.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High