Finding the Balance: MF/RF Tournament (Signup & Running)

OK here are a couple of random AT Barb runs I recorded yesterday:

Map is nothing special tbh. I'll keep it for now just to better compare run time numbers across different builds/setups. It can have quite good density (had >6 average over 20 runs before), but sometimes it's rather crappy like in this batch, and layout is not great either.

As for the build, short version: Essentially a Berserker that uses Conc only when fighting Plague Bearers. Weird weapon setup: Grief/Wizzy on main switch for 105 FCR + Berserk, and Grief/Azurewrath for Conc switch to kill Plague Bearers.

FWIW, these are the main transformations he went through before arriving at his current state:
  • Typical Conc build with normal Zerker gear (incl. Insight Merc) except swapping MF sword for Azurewrath
  • Pure Conc build that uses Reaper's on Merc to help against SS Invaders
  • Various gearing choices such as Ghoulhide vs Chancies, HLW vs craft ammy
  • Pure Conc build Grief/180 PB main switch and using Lacerator in switch to trigger Amp against PIs (but otherwise just uses Conc without Sanctuary)
  • @Gripphon's hybrid build with Berserk (but otherwise like the above, including Grief/Azure main switch)
Screenshot with run counter info from the various options I tried before:
First entry is with pure Conc build + Reaper's on Merc, otherwise the key info is included in the description:

ATbuilds.PNG

Out of those, the fastest options where either Reaper/Conc builds or Gripphon's hybrid Berserk build. Given how the above approaches compared, I figured wanted the QoL from Insight along with hybridizing with Berserk (rather than Conc/Reaper combo).

Problem with that was both used Sanctuary on main switch, but the knockback is quite annoying and I felt run times suffered from it.

At some point I realized that just using Berserk against everything except Plague Bearers worked extremely well, as in same run times as with Conc or even slightly faster at times. This ultimately led to my current build. Because when using Berserk as main skill, I saw an opportunity to get rid of the annoying Sanctuary knockback on Berserk switch. Then I realized there's basically no downside whatsoever from going for 105 FCR on Grief switch... no MF loss, even better survivability with Wizzy (75@ is godsend for AT), faster switching between teleport/hork/attack sequences, tons of life from skilled BO etc... So Wizzy moved alongside Grief on main switch, Azurewrath moved to secondary switch and was paired with another Grief. The rest fell in place naturally.

Now ironically after 4 respecs at this point, I still found it's still best to boost Conc and synergies instead of Berserk synergies, despite Berserk being his main skill. That's because otherwise things like SS or 4 champion Plague Bearer packs slow him down a bit too much. Plus maxing BO as synergy to Conc helps with life ofc. Berserk would benefit from synergies obviously, but interestingly even unsynergized 20p Berserk is similarly strong to synergized Conc, so it does quite well on its own without boosting synergies much. You can see in the vid I get numerous 1-hit or 2-hit Berserk kills. There's surely some optimization to be done with shifting those skill points around though, and ultimately differences between Zerk focus and Conc focus distribution are small either way.

@ffs ok that is kinda fun :D. So like that little easyzerker setup I was using for everything but plague bearers. You know that reduced swapping already makes the character appealing to me ;). How do you tell the difference between plague bearers and embalmeds? Are they substantially different colors? Haha hope that's not a nonstarter for AT barb for me.

Super interesting how you're finding investing more into conc than berserk might be better despite killing 3 of 4 monsters with the latter. Ok ok, maybe an interesting character after all.

EDIT: why does your video not show you talking to warriv before going to a1?

Last edited:
@Luhkoh yeah I had to think about your Lazyzerker, too. :) For AT Barb there's very different reason behind it though, and in particular there's no real downside for him to use 105 FCR on Grief switch (as opposed to Pitzerker who loses a major chunk of his MF). Honestly if AT didn't require certain adjustments, it would be best for AT barb to go with the typical Pitzerker setup with 105 FCR on switch. But given Sanctuary/similar solution is required from at least one weapon slot, I found it objectively resulted in highest efficiency to use such a 105 FCR main switch and a dedicated Conc switch.

How do you tell the difference between plague bearers and embalmeds?
They are different monster types, shape etc. :) This is Embalmed, and this is Plague Bearer.

EDIT: why does your video not show you talking to warriv before going to a1?

For some reason, since I switched to Windows, OBS always just records a black screen for several seconds once I'm exiting a game. You can see that in all of my videos in the last couple of months – no idea why that is, if anyone knows the reason for it any insight would be much appreciated!

Hello boys and girls.

My Barb Anger is 10 hours in farming away at baal.
He has done 160 Baal runs and reached level 94 with 50% left to 95.
He finally managed to find two decent items to get me some much needed points.
I hope i can finish the 20h set soon with work starting again next week.

Peace

Edit: clock paused at 17h54mn after finally an upgrade from Cow level. It had been a pretty nice double drop, the upgrade coming on the same spot than this:
4E3UkGkl.jpg

Obviously i can't disclose the armor drop recording, but it will be.

So it ends cows for now, and what i can tell is that it had been somehow nice regarding Cow king set: only piece not dropped is the hat! It lets a target for next cow killing session ;-)

Code:
Cow King's Hooves
Heavy Boots
Defense: 37
Durability: 9 of 14
Required Level: 13
Required Strength: 18
Fingerprint: 0x7d7ef62b
Item Level: 84
Version: Expansion 1.10+
+30% Faster Run/Walk
Adds 25 - 35 Fire Damage
+31 Defense
+20 to Dexterity
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

She also found a Gheed's, it is always nice to find one, even if the MF stat is below my available ones, the GF is pretty!
Code:
Gheed's Fortune
Grand Charm
Required Level: 62
Fingerprint: 0x73a7c950
Item Level: 81
Version: Expansion 1.10+
157% Extra Gold from Monsters
Reduces all Vendor Prices 14%
36% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
So it is now 2 hours left. Given the scores, i have to play with Tournamenteress to keep her on the pic, so CS it will be!

Initial post
At almost 17hrs15mnns on the clock. Finally found some valuable drop after more than 3 hours, but not an upgrade.​
Pretty sure i would have at least one more upgrade from the Pits during those three hours, given the situation.​
Time to make a break, i will probably complete the first set during the week-end, killing cows to try to have LightningRiderS back on the picture. RNG will decide..!​

Upgrades found
  • ZerkAndDestroy, The Pits (end of run 14h06)
  • LightningRiderS, Cows (end of run 17h54)
Progress table - complete
Valuable pointer found
The PitsZerkAndDestroyYes (S/U)
TravincalTraviRunnerSYes (Rune)
PindleZerkAndDestroyYes (S/U)
CowsLightningRiderSYes (S/U)
LKTournamenteressYes (Rune, 200 runs)
ATTraviRunnerSYes (S/U)
CSTournamenteressYes (S/U)

Last edited:
Reactions: PhineasB
October set is complete :)

No new upgrade from CS, but a really nice drop happened - sadly recording fcked up, at least is was neither a HR nor a top pointer, but it could have been included into the best drops final video.

I had much fun having this set amongst various locations, and even if it was not as efficient as it could have been if focusing on top areas with my best MF or RF builds, in the end it gives a pretty nice score nonetheless. My grailing status made some progress too and it is a good thing!

Let's see what would give the november set if i can complete it - this week was a particular one with a lot of available time, it won't be the same in november, but it will be a longer time period so... who knows? At least i'll take some time to think about the way i want to make it - either following the same route, or going more on one side or the other... i don't know yet. Maybe a ping pong party between Travincal and the Pits?

Upgrades found
  • ZerkAndDestroy, The Pits (end of run 14h06)
  • LightningRiderS, Cows (end of run 17h54)
Progress table - complete
Valuable pointer found
The PitsZerkAndDestroyYes (S/U, upgrade S/U)
TravincalTraviRunnerSYes (Rune)
PindleZerkAndDestroyYes (S/U)
CowsLightningRiderSYes (S/U, upgrade Rune)
LKTournamenteressYes (Rune, 200 runs)
ATTraviRunnerSYes (S/U)
CSTournamenteressYes (S/U)

6 hours of arcane light sorc done and 6 hours of p7 pitnecro done. This pitnecro has always been a sort of good luck charm for me, but it's been a dryyyy 6 hours. Gonna run him for 4 more hours, so still some time to turn it around, but I'm definitely complaining. Motivation is running low. Need some drops!

6 hours of arcane light sorc done and 6 hours of p7 pitnecro done. This pitnecro has always been a sort of good luck charm for me, but it's been a dryyyy 6 hours. Gonna run him for 4 more hours, so still some time to turn it around, but I'm definitely complaining. Motivation is running low. Need some drops!
tenor.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Luhkoh
I completed 7 hours and although I had an OK start nothing extraordinary dropped after.
I managed to level my sorcy from 93 to 94 which was quite satisfying considering I died 4 times(ouch).

I am farming constantly at players 8 with 0% MF and I can clearly say now how much difference MF makes.
Literally, all the loot on the ground is white, not even blue, just white.
Getting runes is always a gamble no matter what.

20 minutes past those 7 hours and I already got 3 good qualifiers.
Just when you lose hope, the game starts pushing you back! :D

Not a whole lot to write home about. I've managed about 2 hours so far running baal p1 for waves/p3 for baal. Except when I forget to switch back to p1 after baal and my merc dies a few times and I scratch my head until I realize the mistake. Nearly died a time or two...double boss witches in throne room once and a boss pack of souls another time.

Luck has been good though with 3 qualifiers though...mostly low ones but for 2 hours in I won't complain.

Still looking for that Griffons though....

Reactions: Luhkoh
I have modified the MFO calculator spreadsheet to include the runes - MFRF Combined Calculator v1
Testers / checkers needed please!- Make sure you confirm your score manually too at this stage.

It was a wet weekend in the UK, now 13 hours in. No real improvements since the 6h mark though. (edited: 6h not 3h)

Last edited:
Reactions: Babyhell and Luhkoh
Thanks @maxicek, that will be very helpful!

Nearly done with the (first) set. Been playing AT Barb for ~10 hours now, one hour to go to finish the set. Pretty rainy days in Berlin as well, and work/home office is actually not too stressful at the moment... hmm yeah, I'll go for second set, no surprise there. :) Might just go for a full 20h with just AT Barb and see how far I can push him. After settling for his build and gear for now, I rolled a better AT map that so far seems to average 6 bosses and is reasonably fast to run, pretty nice.

Ironically, even though I only ran MF-focused builds except for the first 3-4 hours, all upgrades I got since were runes...

Reactions: Pb_pal and maxicek
Plague Bearer is Exceptional. The stat requirements are quite high so it is an easy mistake to make.

Reactions: Excalibur
Finished first set and started the second set with 100 AT Barb counting bosses. Quite OK efficiency:

AT Barb first 100 AT runs.PNG

... aaand that would have been the #1 AT score in the Hall of Records.

Didn't record the runs, but should be possible to improve it anyway.

Gear remains largely unchanged. Just moved over some of my Pit Berserker gear (better MF charms) and slightly higher rolled Griefs. Also 2 more respecs followed for a slight redistribution of stats and skill points. Overall setup now:

Shako Cham
Enigma
Highlord's
Switch 1: Grief/Wizzy Ist
Switch 2: Grief/Azurewrath Ist
Magefist
Arachnid Mesh
2x FCR rings with AR and MF, some leech
WT

Might Merc with Insight Thresher, plain IAS jewel'ed armor and plain IAS jewel'ed Kira's

Build:
Str/dex for gear, rest vit
20 Conc
20 BO
20 Mastery
20 FI
Rest Berserk (16 overall, pre-reqs, 1pt in other mastery

Next up is improving Merc setup and try stuff like Cham'ed Griffon's + Ghoulhide.

Definitely recommend giving this character a try. Pretty much middle of the road between Berserker and Singer in many ways, pretty straight-forward gameplay. When not maximizing efficiency one could even further reduce weapon swapping by using Conc on Grief/Wizzy switch (and Grief/Azure only for Stone Skin Plague Bearers).

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High