MFO Summer 2020 Signups and Running Thread

Alright, I'm in officially with my HC Singer barb, just have to roll a decent Pit map now...

-------------------
Baal
-------------------
Vildecor [1.14d SC FAM]
Friiser [1.14d SC FAM]

-------------------
Pindle+
-------------------
Kstil3227 [1.14d HC FAM]
jjscud [1.13c FAM]

-------------------
Level 85 Areas
-------------------
Trim [1.14d SC FAM]
Swamigoon [1.14b SC vanilla]
ffs [1.14b SC FAM]
Albatross[1.14d SC FAM]
QueenEm [1.14B SC FAM]
art_vandelay [1.14d SC FAM]
Luhkoh [1.14d SC FAM]
Nagisa [1.14d SC FAM]
LiquidClear [1.13d SC FAM]
Pb_pal [1.13d HC FAM]

-------------------
Teams
-------------------

--------------------
Available for teams
--------------------
Baal
Vildecor

Pindle
Kstil3227

A85
Luhkoh
LiquidClear
Pb_pal

I haven't played in a couple months so keeping it simple this time around. Going to run pindle with my UT99 Nova sorc. Should at least make some progress on my grail :)

-------------------
Baal
-------------------
Vildecor [1.14d SC FAM]
Friiser [1.14d SC FAM]

-------------------
Pindle+
-------------------
Kstil3227 [1.14d HC FAM]
jjscud [1.13c FAM]
CaseyJones [1.14d SC FAM]

-------------------
Level 85 Areas
-------------------
Trim [1.14d SC FAM]
Swamigoon [1.14b SC vanilla]
ffs [1.14b SC FAM]
Albatross[1.14d SC FAM]
QueenEm [1.14B SC FAM]
art_vandelay [1.14d SC FAM]
Luhkoh [1.14d SC FAM]
Nagisa [1.14d SC FAM]
LiquidClear [1.13d SC FAM]
Pb_pal [1.13d HC FAM]

-------------------
Teams
-------------------

--------------------
Available for teams
--------------------
Baal
Vildecor

Pindle
Kstil3227
CaseyJones

A85
Luhkoh
LiquidClear
Pb_pal

Reactions: Pb_pal and Luhkoh
@Pb_pal I can only assume that I'm sucking up all the bad map rolling luck around here, so hopefully you'll get a good one quickly. Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: Pb_pal
Honestly, while migrating the old MFOs it was apparent to me that although that tradition no longer really happens it was a huge part of the MFOs from the 'olden days'.

I think most people play self-found now, but I think we should keep that rule in and encourage new players to take part in it if they want to. A large part of our culture in the SPF revolves around helping newer players (or forum members, if not actual new D2 players), and I think this is a good way to do that in the new 'era' of single-player d2 playing of today where people don't all have endless days to grind for elusive items. A significant portion of us have all (or most) of the big name items, and it wouldn't hurt us to give them up to someone who otherwise might never have a DWeb/Fathom/etc.

I get that it's typically un-used, but it doesn't really hurt anyone to keep it in other than saying "I'm not claiming items" if you happen to place in a high spot.

Maybe if we amend it to better reflect the times or something (say, 1 item claimed maximum for each top 3 spot?), and give people an opt-out option where they can not claim items themselves, but also cannot be claimed from, that could work. This could easily be reflected in the sign-up list as well. I for one would be more than happy to step in if somebody wants to claim an item from somebody that opted out and I've got an extra one lying around collecting e-dust, especially if it helps someone get an item they need to try out a cool build they might not be able to otherwise. It's a way to keep the tradition alive, and allow people access to rarer items in the age of leaner playing time.

Likelihood of someone totally fresh to the game getting top place in MFO is so small that it's out of the question imo. On top of that, most new players would think something like: "I would like to join that MFO, but damn what if i get something good and some top player wants to take it from me?". I personally would be pissed if i get -20/+15 griffon's or 30% Fathom and i have to give it to somebody... I am strictly against trading in single player, cause it doesn't fit it to me at all. I will seriously think if it's worth it to join or not.

btw., what happens if somebody doesn't want to give his item away? He gets banned or what?

Last edited:
Reactions: Peytron
Likelihood of someone totally fresh to the game getting top place in MFO is so small that it's out of the question imo.
Fresh to the game, maybe not. Fresh to the forums and SP, or even a SP veteran new to the SPF, it's very possible to finish top 3, especially since our number of sign-ups is much lower now. It's easy to level up a blizz sorc and hit the tunnels with decent gear, and all it takes is one or two lucky ones to rocket up the standings.

Gone are the days of people putting 100 hours into an MFO, so the playing field is much more level now.

I personally would be pissed if i get -20/+15 griffon's or 30% Fathom and i have to give it to somebody... I am strictly against trading in single player, cause it doesn't fit it to me at all.
Hence the suggestion of being able to opt out of claiming.

btw., what happens if i somebody doesn't want to give his item away? He gets banned or what?
I don't believe this has ever happened, nor do I think it would now. That's part of the risk you sign up for inherently. The ability to opt out would fix potential problems here as well.

--

On a general note; I just migrated and read through all previous MFO results threads and never once came across any sort of problem between forum members with regards to claiming items. This is also why I offered to step in if someone wants to claim an item from an 'unclaimable' member. This whole thing is about fun, and nobody should miss out on that from either side of the fence.

This is likely all moot anyways since people haven't claimed in years, but I do think they should have the option of being able to do it if they desire.

I guess this is a good time to formally ask. Would people be open to adding a 'claimable/unclaimable' designation to each of the runners? If it allows for more people to sign up and run (without having to worry about their hard-found items) that wouldn't have otherwise, it seems to me like a good thing to do.

If the vast majority sign up as 'unclaimable', then it makes sense to just scrap it anyway. For the record, I will not be claiming items (I'm fully self-found), but I don't mind if someone claims one from me. You'll have to beat me first, though ;)

Well, it's up to the tournament host right. I'm indifferent about it tbh:
If the vast majority sign up as 'unclaimable', then it makes sense to just scrap it anyway. For the record, I will not be claiming items (I'm fully self-found), but I don't mind if someone claims one from me. You'll have to beat me first, though ;)
This. :)

Reactions: PhineasB and ResTTe
I took a random look into an MFO (Winter 2011) and it looks like most people either reimbursed (claimed an item but offered the same type back), straight up claimed something OR wanted nothing. To a selffound player the first option is impossible while the second is basically throwing a top tier item away.

In a world where everyone is open to trading and follows the sportsmanship rules (or you know, is just friends with the other runners) claiming is a great idea but currently with the amount of selffound players it's not viable anymore in my opinion. I don't want to claim anything and would be for an opt-out.

On a related note I don't think the rules even specify what is allowed when it comes to taking items. Does it have to be a top 5 item or could somebody take a high rune, an eth Oculus or a 3os eth Tomb Reaver? (Ordered from 'whatever' to demoralising to just downright cruel)

Reactions: ResTTe
I’ll weigh in and say i don’t think it matters at all because people on the spf are nice, which is why I like it here. But I do remember being a new player (last year lol) and it was somewhat scary joining. But either way, note to anyone on the fence: do join! It’s great fun and nobody’s gonna snatch you first griffons or somesuch.

I don't plan on claiming items from anyone (in fact, I don't plan on placing high enough to enable myself the option to do so). Not out of respect of self-imposed self-found rules, but more because it was YOU put in the time & had the appropriate luck to find whatever you got. That's YOURS to keep, not mine to claim because I got luckier. On the flip, I'm also resigned to my fate if someone places higher than me and claims an item. I knew the rules beforehand and opted in, so take whatever you fancy. It's just a thing that I can find again later.

Regardless, even if I did want some kind of trophy as proof of victory, I wouldn't dream of taking something of even middling value from someone if they had any reason to want to keep and use it somewhere down the line. Same if it filled some grail hole. Sure, if someone said they had half a dozen Stormlashes sitting around and didn't care to lose one, I might consider plucking it. But if someone said, "Here's my top five scoring items -- please don't take x, y, or z," I'd totally respect that.

If an amendment were added to say that players could opt out of either side of the prize pool when signing up, I wouldn't be upset in the least. Or modify it to say that any player has ultimate veto power to prohibit claiming a single one of their items, something that locks it to them and can't be taken away at the end of the tourney. Whatever the end result of this discussion may be (which, by the way, is super cool that this topic is even open for discussion -- we're a good bunch), my opinion is it seems inherently wrong for people to be afraid to enter a tourney if they feel as though they're going to be punished for not doing well or getting lucky enough.

Further, just because something has been a tradition doesn't necessarily mean it must be followed blindly forever onward. Not at all saying that keeping this facet of the tourney henceforth would be a bad move, but if the trend for a prolonged number of years has resulted in no one engaging in the activity then maybe it should be abolished due to lack of popularity / interest. Call it a sign of the times and the evolution of our tight-knit community. I'd describe us as a pretty humble bunch these days, and to require people to put their hard-earned items on the line in order to participate can seem like a rather elitist standpoint, imo. Not to mention it also introduces potentially unnecessary negative consequences for what I consider a fun, light-hearted community experience. And if following unpopular tradition actively dissuades more participants from joining than it does lure others in, that's a weighty argument against keeping it as-is.

Respectfully,

My point is that the forum is basically a big group of friends nowadays and pretty much all competition is long gone. Most people play self-found therefore they will never take that opportunity to get an item from someone. It isn't worth it to keep that rule imo, cause it has very limited use if any.

Allowing people to pick if they want the claiming to occur is kinda pointless, cause majority will choose to not claim anything i think. It will limit that rule even further.

I just don't like to keep things that won't be used. Also, we wouldn't have to care about trading profiles. I know most of you have them, but why bother if you won't use it and you only need it for joining MFO. Worth mentioning is the fact that i got a message supporting my questioning that rule xD

I have no real opinion either or. There is no item I would cry over losing. If I would get an opportunity to claim an item I would be more interested in having it personilized by the giver. Not the item itself. More as a memento. Or momento?? Ah.. You know what I mean...

I have no real opinion either or. There is no item I would cry over losing. If I would get an opportunity to claim an item I would be more interested in having it personilized by the giver. Not the item itself. More as a memento. Or momento?? Ah.. You know what I mean...

Which reminds me I got these from @D2DC after the 2017 (?) MFO. We were joking if the boots would give out before the end of the competition.

Screenshot031.jpg

It's a shame you can't personalize broken items, otherwise he would have done it. I thought I could pass them over to the winner of my category (or overall if we can figure out how to determine that).

What could better represent a MFO champion than a pair of worn out War Travs? :)

You obviously can't use them so I don't see an issue for the self found / trading status.

At this point, I think a change is warranted. Especially if the way the current rules stand causes some to hesitate to participate. In my opinion, the most important aspect of the MFOs is the competition itself and the spirit that competition fosters. As far as rewards go, I think placement and your item haul are quite enough for everyone that participates.

... my opinion is it seems inherently wrong for people to be afraid to enter a tourney if they feel as though they're going to be punished for not doing well or getting lucky enough. ...

This is also my main concern, in both directions. I don't want anybody to refrain from entering in fear of losing an item, but I also don't want anyone to refrain from entering because they want a chance at snagging a top-end item from someone who is willing to give it up. I fully admit the 2nd scenario is much more unlikely, but I do believe the point stands.

Either way, being self-found and close-ish to a full grail, it doesn't affect me personally either way what happens with the rule. If the SPF collectively deems it more harmful (I use this term VERY loosely) to keep it in, I'm more than happy to see it settle into its place in the SPF legacy. :)

Reactions: PhineasB and Luhkoh
My stance is always logic>tradition about anything in life

Now, whether it is logical to change tradition of MFO or not is debatable and can be voted upon

I totally agree.

Personally I love the tradition of the MFO but could care less about the item claiming. I made a few changes here and there back in the day and they may have raised an eyebrow or two, but I think they made the experience more enjoyable and it sounds like removing the item claiming would too.

Ultimately its up to the host to decide (or decide how to decide o_O).

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High