New patch 2.4.3 - opinions?

Helvete

Mar 13, 2020
To me, it looks very promising, except maybe WW is getting to patch 1.00 levels of power - which is too much.

Every character getting a temporary 50% mf boost (I ASSUME this is like carrying a 50% mf charm which takes up no space) shouldn't matter much, and is probably not applicable to SP at all.

Seems console is getting some love. Much needed love, from what I have heard (I haven't tried it myself). Some server improvements, it seems like, which will help my current "oooo new ladder lets go"-project.

Bit worried that they touched the item code again, making us need to jump a LOT of hoops to keep our stashed stuff =/

Surprised to see WW getting messed with, I never got the sense it needed a buff.

I did only just finish getting items moved to 2.4, if GoMule compatibility gets broken again I will be... upset.

Reactions: Miron and coju
Surprised to see WW getting messed with, I never got the sense it needed a buff.

I did only just finish getting items moved to 2.4, if GoMule compatibility gets broken again I will be... upset.
WW is has been janky and can be famously hard to make work if you aren't twinking in weapons ahead of the damage curve. Once you're set up it's pretty strong, but actually playing the game with it is....not, generally speaking.

I haven't played one since like 1.10 personally, but I might if this finally smooths a lot of it out.

These will be really nice additions for console-only folks like me:
  • Added a new "Loot to Cube" skill for controllers in the general skills menu. Using this skill on an item will pick it up and place it in your Horadric Cube, if there is space.
  • Players can now bulk assign stat points using a controller.

It's also nice that Cain will be able to ID stuff in your cube.

I will be keen to test out the Whirlwind changes. I have a pretty solid WW Barb with an almost complete IK set (just missing the armor). He performs quite well already, and I'm not an expert at playing WW, but I feel like WW has some peculiarities that could be made better. I like what I'm reading in the patch notes. Curious to see how it actually plays out.

WW is has been janky and can be famously hard to make work if you aren't twinking in weapons ahead of the damage curve. Once you're set up it's pretty strong, but actually playing the game with it is....not, generally speaking.

I haven't played one since like 1.10 personally, but I might if this finally smooths a lot of it out.

I'm with you on this. My fingers are crossed that this really opens things up for a Whirlwind Barb.

As for things I wish were in this patch, mark me down for some sort of stackable runes/gems tab. I always find it funny that six gems take up the same amount of stash space as a Sacred Armor.

Reactions: snickersnack
  • Added a new "Loot to Cube" skill for controllers in the general skills menu. Using this skill on an item will pick it up and place it in your Horadric Cube, if there is space.

I will be keen to test out the Whirlwind changes. I have a pretty solid WW Barb with an almost complete IK set (just missing the armor). He performs quite well already, and I'm not an expert at playing WW, but I feel like WW has some peculiarities that could be made better. I like what I'm reading in the patch notes. Curious to see how it actually plays out.
You might consider running Trav on /players3 with a WW/hork barb. It's a good way to get runes (and other stuff, like facets), especially if LK is too dull for you. This does require a good base of items both for kill speed and keeping the merc alive.

Reactions: little birdy
You might consider running Trav on /players3 with a WW/hork barb. It's a good way to get runes (and other stuff, like facets), especially if LK is too dull for you. This does require a good base of items both for kill speed and keeping the merc alive.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably do that! My WW Barb has been quite capable, though not the fastest, doing Baal runs when I was trying to farm up some essences. I think Trav will be doable. I don't have any points in Find Item yet, though I do have some skill points to spare, and two Heart Carvers that I can put on weapon switch for horking.

I haven't played since 2.4 came out, mainly because of the disruption with GoMule. Kinda waiting for that whole thing to settle out before jumping back in, plus I played a ton from the release of D2R to patch 2.4, so I was due for a Fallout 4 break, lol.

I am very pleased that Cain will now ID items in the cube, as I generally play with a full charm setup and use the cube as a stash and I always ID everything I pick up.

Played around a bit last night, some Stoney Tombs runs with my Fireball Sorc, and then with a new Paladin that I'm questing through Normal. The above changes are all so nice. "Loot to Cube" and Cain ID'ing cube contents make life so much easier when running an inventory full of charms with an end-game character. Heck, even my Pally that's only in Act III normal has a nearly full inventory with random charms he's picked up so far. And the new buttons to bulk assign 5 stat points at a time, or all available stat points, are super helpful.

I'm confused regarding WW attack speed. Here's the passage about what's new in 2.4.3:

Changed the logic for determining how often Whirlwind attacks occur. Whirlwind now incorporates Increased Attack Speed (IAS) from all equipment. The frames between each Whirlwind attack are equal to the attack frame of a basic attack for that character (modified by increased attack speed). While dual wielding, the attack frame for each weapon will be averaged (rounding up). Overall, Whirlwind attacks should be at least as fast as they were before. Slower weapons will attack notably faster.

So it's affected by any IAS gear and that attack speed is like the standard attack. A phase blade (a weapon with a suboptimal range for WW BTW) reaches 8 fpa with 83% IAS (assuming the speed caps aren't in effect and higher breapoints are unreachable), so how can this ever be at least as good as it was before (attacks at 4th and 8th frame regardless of speed and beyond that, at 4 fpa if on-weapon IAS minus base speed >= 34)? It seems to be always worse than before!

Exactly what happens when dual-wielding? The speed of the standard attack for dual-wielding is 7 fpa at 83% IAS. That's it? Or do I need auras like fanaticism? Do I have to pump up speed with frenzy before?

The patch notes say that the speeds of both weapons are averaged. Does that apply to the base speeds? Is it applied before or after the IAS that's on the individual weapons? And when does which weapon make an attack? Or is that some redundant information that's covered with the mechanics of the standard attack when dual-wielding?

They are trying to give the casual players who will only ever make about seven builds more options. I’m not convinced they really understand what they are doing though.

I was kind of bummed by the low IAS roll on my Grief PB, since it won't hit the last WW bp, but now, that's not really a problem. =D
Any Grief PB would hit last wwbp. Are you thinking of Berserker Axes?

Whatever, I've started a barb two hours ago, but I'm not sure yet which endgame weapon(s) he will end up with. That depends on what I can figure out how WW really works. Probably not something with phase blades, as PBs are range 2 weapons (respectively rangeadder 1) which is not that good for WW... and definitely no BAs, they don't look manly enough on barbs and two-handed swords are making that nice WHOOSH sound when being swung.

I have a single Grief PB (on my zealot), but I don't like the idea of putting high-end stuff into the shared stash, in order to share it among my characters. I'm no communist !!11!

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High