Gambling Tips

Oct 9, 2021
I’ve got all this gold I don’t know what to do with, so I figured I’d try gambling. But what could I gamble on that might be worth something, and are there any tips on what I should look for? Like, skill charms would be great, but does anyone do grand charms in gambling? Thank you.

I just use Gambling to get equipment I can't get at the time, due to the Item Level of the items being -5 to +4 from your level. That means you only need to be Level 18, easy to get on Players 7, to get Bone Helms, very good for the early game. You can get Set or Unique items from gambling as well, though they are going to be just Magical most of the time. The chance of getting Uniques is .05% and for Sets is .1%. I don't think you can get Charms by Gambling though. They aren't on the list of gamblable items on Arreat Summit.

Thank you, I had no idea that grand charms weren’t listed. My highest character is LV84 at the time of me typing this. (He’s kind of pitiful in multiplayer Hell mode though).

When in doubt:
  • Circlets
  • Coronets
  • Rings
  • Amulets

Reactions: Nokk and KremBanan
Don't gamble for circlets, but for coronets. Circlets can have no more than 2 sockets, so rolling up the artisan's or jeweler's affix on magical ones will lead to just 2 sockets while it would be 3 for a magical coronet (which could be a tiara or diadem instead).

Don't gamble for amulets because caster amulets from the cube recipe are better. They can have up to 20% FCR.

I'm gambling for coronets and rings only.

Reactions: Nokk, Rush and coju
Don't gamble for circlets, but for coronets. Circlets can have no more than 2 sockets, so rolling up the artisan's or jeweler's affix on magical ones will lead to just 2 sockets while it would be 3 for a magical coronet (which could be a tiara or diadem instead).

Don't gamble for amulets because caster amulets from the cube recipe are better. They can have up to 20% FCR.

The recipe requires Magic amulets, right? Could I use ones I got gambling?

Yes, you need a magic amulet for the recipe. You can use rare jewels or even Rainbow Facets for it, however. And yes, you can use gambled amulets for the recipe.

BTW, the best character level for using gambled ones for the recipe is L93 and higher. When gambling, its ilvl will be at least 88 then and when crafting, the ilvl will be changed to the avarage of its old ilvl and the character, leading to a minimum final ilvl of 90 which is needed to have a chance on +2 on a class skill, so you always have that chance to have it.

I disagree. You can get quite nice +2/20fcr rare circlets and +2/10fcr amus.
Yeah, one can craft +2/20fcr amulets, but those are very rare and extremely expensive if you are trading for one. When gambling for amus, you can also get alot of +1/10fcr with lvl 30 req, which are awesome to use while leveling.

So I agree with @Zaine , gamble amus rings, circlets and coronets.

Reactions: Zaine
I would also gamble boots. I have gotten quite a few good frw/fhr/dual and trires boots from gambling.
A pair of let's say 20frw/25lres/25fres and maybe some mf is very very nice for both leveling and even endgame.

Reactions: Rush

I do now agree with you @krischan :D :D
I agree on the coronets, for one reason only: Now in D2R you can just refresh the gambling until a coronet shows and just repeatedly gamble it. You couldnt do that in LoD.

I disagree. You can get quite nice +2/20fcr rare circlets and +2/10fcr amus.
Yeah, one can craft +2/20fcr amulets, but those are very rare and extremely expensive if you are trading for one. When gambling for amus, you can also get alot of +1/10fcr with lvl 30 req, which are awesome to use while leveling.

So I agree with @Zaine , gamble amus rings, circlets and coronets.
Yes, you can have +2/20 fcr circlets, but coronets han have these affixes as well, but also 3 sockets + something on coronets. OK, coronets cost 50% more to gamble, but I guess I would be pretty annoyed if I gambled a magical artisan's/jeweler's circlet with a nice suffix, leading to 2 sockets while it would have been 3 on a coronet... which is the difference between "nice" and "OMF WTF AWESOME LOLOLOL".

Okay, last question: would it be possible to roll a Mara’s or would the math put that outside my reach? I’m still just level 87 right now, so I’m still not gambling yet based on your advice.

I guess my point for the whole thread is: I have all this gold and my MF is absolute garbage, so can I use that gold to at least attempt to roll for the gear I want as well?

Man, I’m frustrated. I found little that was of any use again today. I just keep killing Diablo to see what drops in Chaos Sanctuary (as well as Andareal and the Countess to get runes for rolling up ) and my MF goes as high as 10% or so (to keep myself from getting utterly murdered there). Runes notwithstanding as I’ve heard MF has no effect on them, should I just keep fighting those three or is there something in my behavior I can change to look for gear and high runes I need to accomplish my dream Hammerdin?

Last edited:
At level 85 or higher, any gambled amulet has a chance to become Mara's, but the chance is very low. Only one in 2000 will be unique and, depending on the ilvl of the gambled item (which will be class level - 5 to +4), only a few will be a Mara's. To figure out which unique has which chance, have a look at https://www.purediablo.com/diablo-2/unique-amulets/. Add up all rarity values of those amulets that have a qlvl not higher than the ilvl of the gambling result. Let's say this sum is S. Then look up the rarity value of the amulet of your choice (which has to fulfill the qlvl resuirement as well, of course). Let's say it's R. The chance for a unique amulet being that one is R in S and any gambled amulet of such an ilvl being that is R in 2000*S

For example, an ilvl 82 amulet will have a chance of 5 in 2000*71 = 0.0035% to be Mara's. Good luck, you will need it!

BTW, the most rare unique amulet I've ever gambled was Seraph's Hymn... and it even was a +2 one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, last question: would it be possible to roll a Mara’s or would the math put that outside my reach? I’m still just level 87 right now, so I’m still not gambling yet based on your advice.

I guess my point for the whole thread is: I have all this gold and my MF is absolute garbage, so can I use that gold to at least attempt to roll for the gear I want as well?

Man, I’m frustrated. I found little that was of any use again today. I just keep killing Diablo to see what drops in Chaos Sanctuary (as well as Andareal and the Countess to get runes for rolling up ) and my MF goes as high as 10% or so (to keep myself from getting utterly murdered there). Runes notwithstanding as I’ve heard MF has no effect on them, should I just keep fighting those three or is there something in my behavior I can change to look for gear and high runes I need to accomplish my dream Hammerdin?
I presume you're farming Hell difficulty. With low MF, I wouldn't bother with that -- as you're experiencing, it's too much frustration for too little reward. Better to drop down to whatever you can still kill relatively easily while wearing a MF setup, and then tweak that build to work your way up. Like, maybe NM/Baal with...well, what's the best MF total you can manage right now?

And as far as gambling goes, you could start that now -- krischan's advice to be lvl93 or higher was specific to amulets that you then use for crafting. If you're just trying to gamble a rare to upgrade a gear slot, there's no need to wait.

The frustration was partially fueled by a particularly rough day at work so it may be that I just need to be patient and keep picking stuff up. Part of my reasoning is thatI want the odds, however small, of having a currency-level rune drop during my runs. I found a 3/25 Boneflame this morning, so it hasn’t been all bad. Plus, I’m trying to sell an Offensive Auras GC with 29 life on it, so maybe those can get me closer to the gear I want for that Hammerdin.

Reactions: Nokk
I’ve only been using my fighting gear today, but I got an Arkaine’s Valor off Nihlathak while trying to get the keys. He has yet to drop even one key but he went straight to Arkaine’s Valor.

The question I really wanted t ask was, would it help any if I put a point in Find Item?

Nihlathak won't produce extra loot when applying find item because he doesn't leave a corpse.

If you have low MF, I suggest running Hell Cows since you can find Eth Elite Polearms and Eth Elite Armor which are in very high demand for Merc runewords. The cows also just drop a lot of stuff like runes and if you aren't sure if a white/grey item is good, we can always give you a price check.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High