Diablo 2 Necromancer Fishymancer Build Starter Guide

This Fishymancer Build Guide is intended to give a quick-and-easy overview of the key details on the build and pointers on playthrough/progression.

Check out the full article
Thanks for the effort, and this was good but there's some significant things you missed out which would be incredibly useful for the people that this guide is aimed at. Necessary runewords for Normal and Nightmare could have been included for new players too. Im hoping people take this build with a pinch of salt. If you want to update the Fishymancer there's a few modern meta-developments you left out:

1. Clay golem + Iron Maiden. Essential for speedrunning a necro. Pretty much means you can take down any boss up to NM I believe. Maybe a few act bosses more. This is something you should have mentioned rather than suggesting not to get decrepify for Duriel(?!) Decrep is a level 24 skill, it's pretty unlikely anyone's still needing to clear Duriel at that point lol on Multiplayer. Once you get to level 20 its ancients. Then its tombs. So you've already cleared act 3 / 4 at that point... If you were on SP and decided to farm act 2 until level 24 for decrep...oh man....you've got it all wrong lol. Just use Iron maiden and clay golem and stop wasting your time grinding xp in normal hahahahahahaha

2. WSK + Pit are great places to run necro, and you know where else? ALMOST EVERYWHERE. Fishymancer necro should clear almost anything with ease aside from Maggot Lair (LOL). If I were you, I would have suggested Cows and Chaos Sanctuary as well. All you have to do is mention: WSK = High monster density + high monster level but can be very dangerous. Cows = high density, fast clear, a good place for farming currency on a new-ish char. Chaos = high density, high mLevel + SuperUniques. Limiting yourself to just Pit and Baal is pretty trash. Baal is pretty bad if you want to find runes for example. All these areas have their strengths and weakness for the necro. In my mind, Infinity + Enigma runewords + Max CE on a necro is probably the fastest clearer of Cows. How could you not mention that?

3. Less of a big one, but also something that every modern Necro uses. AT LEAST ONE POINT INTO DIM VISION. This skill is slept on but is ridiculously useful. Souls with mana burn +++ on Hell are not fun, and can rek any char. Dim vision completely invalidates them. Archers, mages etc all get the same treatment. It has saved my ass and my entire parties ass countless time since Souls cannot do anything whilst under the effects of Dim. Yes, its a "situational skill" that you don't want to have to hotkey but jesus man, why don't you try moving your hotkeys off F1, F2 etc and then you can use more skills? Also the situation where you really really want to use Dim, if you don't you will fucking die, so to me it's not THAT situational. In my mind Dim vision is a skill you want to be ready to use whenever you can. If you play Hardcore it's even more important.

Well those few things off the top of my head, I'd say this guide needs a spruce. It's not really an update to the classic fishymancer, and some of your information is wrong at the worst of times; downright misleading at the best of times. Good writing and style though!

Last edited:
You sound like an ignorant elitist jackass. This is just a STARTER guide for reference, not the end all. It's based on HC SINGLE PASS TOURNAMENTS, so no real twinking meaning not able to super speed run with others help or a crap ton of low level uniques. Playing a fishy slow and careful will net you tons of exp and I know, because here I am playing D2R and I was EASILY level 30 before hitting A5. New game, new ladder, no help- takes time with no resources. Get off your high horse. Because others play the game differently than you doesn't mean they're wrong and you know better. Let folks enjoy it

You sound like an ignorant elitist jackass. This is just a STARTER guide for reference, not the end all. It's based on HC SINGLE PASS TOURNAMENTS, so no real twinking meaning not able to super speed run with others help or a crap ton of low level uniques. Playing a fishy slow and careful will net you tons of exp and I know, because here I am playing D2R and I was EASILY level 30 before hitting A5. New game, new ladder, no help- takes time with no resources. Get off your high horse. Because others play the game differently than you doesn't mean they're wrong and you know better. Let folks enjoy it
You sound very sensitive about this; it's called feedback or criticism. I didn't think anyone would be so butt hurt that they'd resort to ad hominem, but it serves to make your comment satirical so thanks for the sensible chuckle :D

I didn't mention anything about twinking, I simply pointed out some very useful tips that were missing from this guide. Like if you're using this guide Solo, then IM + Clay Golem is a pretty essential combo in normal. Otherwise, you just have to grind Normal XP until your summons are good enough...lol

At the least, my comment serves to be an addendum to this guide. In future, I'd try reading comments more comprehensively than reacting with unsubstantiated vitriol.

It is not what you say, but the attitude man. These 'lol" and "hahaha"s are lame. You can give feedback in a more proper way. Anyway, did not know the golem/IM combo is so good at start.

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High