The Three-Legged Race Tournament

Pb_pal

Mar 19, 2020
With the forces of evil growing in the realm of Sanctuary, people were started get become a little irritable. The resident Barbarian was refusing to share his Battle Orders, the Druid's summons were leaving droppings all over camp despite the repeated warning to have their pets kept outside, and someone was pretty sure they saw the Necromancer hanging around the graveyard last night, suspiciously poking at the dirt.

That was when Akara stepped into the firelight and made her announcement:

"Okay everyone, I know tension is running high right now and people are worried about that whole 'hordes of evil' thing, so... it's time for a little team building!"

Amidst the groans she continued:

"There's only one real way I can see of getting you guys to start working together, that that involves attaching you, physically, until you can get along. Also, we can fix the Baal issue as well so.. two birds, one stone.

That's right everybody, find a partner because we're having a race. A THREE-LEGGED RACE!

--

Welcome SPF to the Three-Legged Race Tournament!

The basic premise is to consider it as "laps" of a three-legged race, and kind of center the idea around that. Two characters bound together, gaining skill and power as you complete laps. It borrows from previous TWD tournaments, (though 2 characters instead of three) so if you've played or read along with one of those you have an idea of what's coming. Kudos to @PhineasB for the original idea and help refining the rules, and also thank you to those who gave feedback. Enough chatting, let's get to the rules:

General Rules

1. HC, or SC with disqualification upon first death (feel free to continue to update, although you cannot win the tournament.)

2. You may re-enter as many times as you wish, or enter multiple teams at once. You may sign-up any time.

3. Version 1.10+, RRM/RWM/FAM allowed. No MP, no Trading.

4. Any /players setting may be used at any time.

5. You may return to any previous difficulty/act at any time to redeem quest rewards, shop, or just do some sight-seeing.

6. Save + Exit to avoid death is NOT allowed, and results in disqualification from the tournament. (you may, however, S+E if running from a previously cleared area and you get yourself in trouble.)

Tournament-Specific Rules

1. Your team will consist of two characters of your choosing. Both characters must ALWAYS stay within 1 act of each other. For example, if one character is in A1, the other character can complete all the way to then end of A2 but cannot proceed further until the first char hits the 2nd act as well.

2. Characters begin as Single-tree with only 1 skill tree each 'unlocked'
2. a) Upon completion of Normal with BOTH characters, you unlock one further skill tree*, which can be picked at your discretion.
2. b) Upon completion of Nightmare with BOTH characters, you unlock one further skill tree*, which can be picked at your discretion.
*One means ONE. Not one for each character, only one. You can select which character and tree gets to unlock upon completion of the difficulty. This also means that if you choose to continue on after one team member dies, you are restricted to however many trees you had unlocked at the time of his/her death.

3. a) All charges and ctc items are allowed, even from non-selected trees or oskills.
b) All Staffmods or skills granted from items from non-selected trees are BANNED*. You may still use staffmods from a tree your character has selected.
This means if you want to go 'off-tree' in any way, it must be via charges (or ctc). The exception to this rule is:
c) Auras granted by items are allowed regardless of skill-tree choice.
*You may still equip items that carry a banned staffmod or charge, you just can't actually use the skill.

4. Reruns of areas are allowed (think of it like training!). You may keep all gold/items from your runs if you please. There will be a designation in the table for if you want to go Single-Pass or not.

5. If one character dies you have the option of continuing solo or bringing a new character up to join him/her. If you choose the latter, the further character may not progress until the new one is caught up.
You are not obligated to pick the same skill trees or even the same class for the new character. The only thing that carries over is the number of trees unlocked, and when they became unlocked on the old character. eg. If the dead character was a sorceress who gained her 2nd tree upon NM completion, the new character must wait until NM is finished to unlock its second tree, whatever it is.

6. Respecs are allowed, but once you pick your unlocked trees you cannot change them. You are free to respec within your selected trees.

7. The characters can share equipment between each other, as well as a shared extended stash. (Bonus style points if you skip extended stash, as always)

8. No further item, mercenary, or stat restrictions.

--

Scoring:

1 point per completed quest (reward quests do not need to be greyed out to be considered complete, simply finishing the quest and having the reward available will suffice)

3 points for finishing Normal Difficulty (making Destroyer)

5 points for finishing Nightmare Difficulty (making Conqueror)

11 points for finishing Hell Difficulty (making Guardian)

Helpful Numbers

30 points per character that has made Destroyer
62 points per character that has made Conqueror
100 points per character that has made Guardian

That's it! Get some rope, tie some characters together, and go beat Baal! Good luck!

Here's a table to keep progress:

SP denotes Single-Pass, if that's your cup of tea.

Code:
SP  Forum Name         Characters         Level  Furthest WP             Points
--  -----------------  ----------------  ------  ----------------------  -------
Y   Pb_pal             Sorc/Zon          1/1     Rogue Encampment           0

Reactions: Zyr and PhineasB
Code:
--  -----------------  ----------------  ------  ----------------------  -------
Y   Vildecor           Zon/Sorc          1/1     Rogue Encampment           0

I was almost tempted to go Zon/Necro, but figured I'd probably get exhausted using normal attack on 2 characters through normal (he'd have started with curses tree). Zon will start with P&M tree, Sorc will start out with the Lightning tree.

• Love
Reactions: Pb_pal
Code:
N   PhineasB           Necro/Druid       1/1     Rogue Encampment           0
I have also just started a second Orange You Glad Character (Pally), so I'm looking forward to the rerun-areas option here as a change up from full clears. Druid will be single-tree, pure Fire until late-NM / Hell and likely respecing to Windy after that. Nothing like another Windy to have going while I push my untwinked 99er Druid forward! Necro will go summons -> curses and end of Normal.

Code:
Y   Maltatai           Druid/Druid       8/1     Cold Plains                1
Tord and Paul, the enemies in the druid office of the Magpie circle, set out to beat one another in the race. They will fight as wolf and bear and do their best to prove the other ones tactics to be feeble and unsound. Tord will as a wolf obviously hire an iron wolf as soon as possible. Paul will have to make do with something bear-like such as a barbarian or a defiant town guard perhaps. They will focus on the physial damage attacks and devote equipment to elemental damage and defenses. Tord started first and was fortunate to stumble (literally, given the druids idea of walking) upon a pair of diamonds, hopefully a sign of savage partizans to come.

1d1.jpg

1d2.jpg

Last edited:
Code:
N   CaseyJones         Sorc/Druid        1/1     Rogue Encampment           0

The sorc, Anisor, will be starting with lightning tree.
The druid, Anidru, will be starting with the summon tree.

Will play softcore with disqualification at first death and replay of areas. Looking more for the fun of the idea rather than a difficult challenge :)

Reactions: Pb_pal and PhineasB
Well, ... since I influenced the rules I guess I'd better join :) .

This will be my first tournament attempt since 2014 so I'm not going to go with anything too ambitious. I'm thinking Trapsin and Frozen Orb Sorceress. Trap and Lightning trees through Normal adding Cold tree in Nightmare and then Shadow tree in Hell.

I'm playing in 1.11b currently so I'll stick with that because I've had real problems getting D2 and Windows 10 to play nice (I'm afraid if I touch anything ... nothing will work ... just last night I broke the game trying to get a run counter to work ... I don't even know how that's possible ... but after six hours I fixed the game and got the run counter working and that's all the tinkering I'm feeling brave enough to do right now). Anyhow, I imagine 1.11b should only make things harder with common runes like Amn and Sol being much less common. And speaking of runes, I'm running CRM (all runes set to orange). I'm assuming that'll be fine since it's allowed under SPF rules but since only RRM was mentioned I thought I'd better declare it ...

Also, (in the spirit of: 'Mordor, Gandalf, is it left or right?')
My tournament needs a score sheet.
A score sheet is a very nice way to keep the scores up to date. If you know how to work it, it’s actually quite easy and useful.
I don't know how to work the score sheet :rolleyes: . I tried to look it up but the above was as close as I got :D . Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction? :whistle:

I don't know how to work the score sheet :rolleyes: . I tried to look it up but the above was as close as I got :D . Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction? :whistle:

The easiest method is to copy the most recent score sheet into Notepad, make your changes, then copy & paste it back here in between the [ code ] tags. That way the spacing won't get messed up.

So umm..a trapper and elemental druid I guess? Kind of want do a furysin since mine died if I find the right equipment, and I haven't done an elemental druid in ages.

Code:
N   Crudesash68           Zon/Paladin     1/1     Rogue Encampment           0

I don't think I formatted the above correctly...

I was originally going to do a Zon and a Druid, but I've wanted to try my hand at a Hammerdin, so why not now?
So I don't miss anything, are there any mandatory screenshots needed as I go along in my adventures?

Also, I may wind up doing single pass, but I'm starting as a "no" in case I want to rerun later in the game.

Reactions: PhineasB
Code:
Y   Maltatai           Druid/Druid       13/1    Cold Plains                2
N   Crudesash68        Zon/Paladin       1/1     Rogue Encampment           0
Tord has had a great time in the cold plains with useful gems dropping such as some rubies that let Sharyn the cold rogue dispatch hungry dead with a fully socketed hunters bow. The wolf himself had found a sapphire for his bardiche. I have put most points into werewolf which turned out to be a good decision I think, as I'm bothered by the slow attack speed of the werewolf otherwise. It also makes sense to boost the normal attack as much as possible since it will be some time until he can support frequent feral rage. Paul is waiting meekly in the camp so far.

1d3.JPEG

So far Tord hasn't been stopped by his low life since he found a few skulls and a rare regeneration ring from Blood Raven, a great asset this early. The low life was risky at one point in a flaming house where I failed to notice the rapidly dropping life bulb due to the sun shining on my screen, a frequent problem with a game so dark. The corrupted rogue archers proved easier than expected, mostly thanks to the well armed rogue.

1d4.JPEG
An early unique dropped from Rakanishus carvers, Biggins Bonnet. Although ethereral, maybe it will be worth keeping for the hired help in early normal. Usually some gambled circlet is more useful but you never know.

1d5.JPEG

Tord is now next to the entrance to the Underground Passage where someone had conveniently built a waypoint, and poised to devour the world with feral rage and a point in hunger later on, which he will get away with thanks to the werewolf attack rating. There actually dropped a wolf head with +2 to werewolf whichw as sort of funny, but I kept his skull cap with skulls instead. Which also becomes sort of a funny helmet to wear.

The easiest method is to copy the most recent score sheet into Notepad, make your changes, then copy & paste it back here in between the [ code ] tags. That way the spacing won't get messed up.

Ah ha! I thought there was a 'pad' involved but Wordpad didn't do anything good for me ... Thanks.

The start of this tournament worked out to be well timed with the start of my weekend. So far my Sorceress has rescued Cain and cleared through the Dark Wood. The only nervous moment so far came when I entered the Cold Plains and was greeted by a ... wait for it ... Cold Enchanted Fallen Shaman. At players 7 it put up a pretty good fight against my poor chilled Sorceress who was slowly trying to whack it to death with a hand axe. As soon as I could hire merc though everything became a breeze. Normally I wouldn't update until reaching the end of an Act but I hadn't added myself to the table and I had an exciting drop I couldn't wait to show off. So without further adieu, may I present my first (and so far only ... though I have a feeling that could soon change ... set/unique:

Screenshot003.jpg

Gull
Dagger
One-Hand Damage: 2 to 19
Durability: 8 of 16
Required Level: 4
Dagger Class - Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 7
Fingerprint: 0x46061fb8
-5 to Mana
+1 to Minimum Damage
+15 to Maximum Damage
100% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

If the first set/unique drop sets the tone, I'd say things are looking really good! That dropped off the first unique monster I came across in the Stony Field :cool: .

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          15/1    Dark Wood                  3

Here we go again.

The plan is:
Dunham <Paladin> - Combat Normal; Offensive Nightmare [Fanatic Zealot]
TBA <Druid> - Elemental Normal; Summoning Hell [Fire Normal; Windy Nightmare+Hell]

This way I probably won't get bored by having to babysit a mercenary for 10 Acts :rolleyes:

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          15/1    Dark Wood                  3
Y   b1ur               Paladin/Druid     1/1     Rogue Encampment           0

Reactions: PhineasB and Pb_pal
Ding dong the witch is dead! A witch!? May we burn her? Mmm, no. She self immolated. Aaaah ...

Screenshot010.jpg

I cleared out Act 1 at players 7. No stone left unturned. No bookshelf left unrifled. No monster left standing.

As predicted, the Gull drop (and another 69 mf mostly from topaz'ed armor) led to more set/unique drops:

Screenshot004.jpg
Screenshot005.jpg
Screenshot008.jpg
Screenshot009.jpg

All items I'd regularly use :) . Furthermore, the Gull and Hotspurs are items you might find on my endgame characters. The Hand of Broc turned out to be eth (which is a bit of a bummer ... mostly for my next character) but I can't really complain coming out of Act 1 with so many nice TC3s.

Past the drops nothing very interesting happened. A group of champion goatmen surprised me in the Barracks ... I saw them coming and ran into the middle of them to start spamming static field ... and they hit much harder than I thought they would ... but it wasn't really all that close.

Next up: Sleep. Then Act 2. Before I started playing I thought I'd try and keep both my characters in the same Act. However, now that I've started, that seems like a horrible idea. What's the last thing you want to do after clearing Act 1? ... Right now I'm thinking clear Act 1 again.

So, looking forward to Act 2 and a merc that doesn't wander around circles when the going gets tough. Yeah, that'll be nice.

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          20/1    Lut Gholein                6

Joining with Zon/Necro; great classes for Single-Pass newbie like me. :)

The amazon will be a passivezon for Normal/NM; adding on Strafe/GA/MA in Hell for possible utilities (slow, knockback, open wounds etc).
If nothing of use drops, then she will stay as a passive zon with CB/OW on dagger with decrep/lifetap charges on switch.
Strength and Malice daggers should be a cheap source of CB/OW.

The necromancer will be a typical summoner; possibly adding on Corpse Explosion in Hell if drops are not in favor of the amazon.

EDIT:
Went ahead and created both chars : Amazon, OneLeg, and Necro, ThreeLeg. :p

The necro has cleared everything up to Burial Grounds and the Cave on /p8. I'm not sure how often you let slide stragglers in a Single-Pass; but so far I've double-checked every corner to make sure I haven't missed anything. Not really sure how long that'll last...

The amazon will wait until the necro has cleared all of the false tombs.

Code:
SP  Forum Name         Characters        Level   Furthest WP             Points
Y   Gynli              Zon/Necro         1/12    Cold Plains                2

Last edited:
Great progress folks and glad to see so many participants!

So I don't miss anything, are there any mandatory screenshots needed as I go along in my adventures?

Screenshots are not mandatory, no. Include them if you'd like, but simply posting about your adventures is good too. :)

Code:
N   Swamigoon          Sin/Druid         1/1     Rogue Encampment           0

Bag1.png Sack1.png
As a pun fan, of course I selected names inspired by the tournament theme. For regular difficulty, these new heroes feel just so very privileged to use Shadow Disciplines and Shapeshifting.

The assassin will bag the good loot while the druid gets the sack...:D
What will the builds be like?

Besides, what is this, the Gull finders yearly convention?

Last edited:
The big bug has been exterminated!

Screenshot026.jpg

And all the little bugs too.

Yes, that's right, Act II has been cleared at players 7 from top to bottom, left to right, and up and down.

As expected, hiring an Act II merc was a serious upgrade in quality of life. I gave him big hurty sticks, steered, and weakened foes ... he did the rest.

Here's the initial big hurty stick I managed to gamble (I went from 225,000 gold to 63,000 gold before I got it):

Screenshot011.jpg

I was really happy with that poleaxe but then managed to do a little bit better once I got the cube. Here's savage polearm attempt #2:

Screenshot018.jpg

Pretty hard to beat ...

Elsewhere on the item front there were plenty of set/unique drops but none I'm likely to use. The most interesting was when I kicked several urns in the Claw Viper temple and several flying scimitars appeared. Once defeated, one of them fell to the ground as:

Screenshot021.jpg

Blood Crescent
Scimitar
One-Hand Damage: 3 to 10
Durability: 12 of 22
Required Dexterity: 21
Required Level: 7
Sword Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 12
Fingerprint: 0xd05555a6
+15 to Life
+80% Enhanced Damage <-- A perfect roll
All Resistances +15
15% Life stolen per hit
+4 to Light Radius
15% Increased Attack Speed
33% Chance of Open Wounds

If only this had been the Sword Destiny Tournament. What an entrance that would have been!

The complete list of set/unique drops for Act II is:

Berserker's Headgear, Helm (Sewers Level 3)
Pluckeye, Short Bow (Sewers Level 3)
Isenhart's Horns, Full Helm (Sewers Level 3)
Civerb's Icon, Amulet (Dry Hills)
Civerb's Ward, Large Shield (Halls of the Dead Level 1)
Civerb's Ward, Large Shield (Halls of the Dead Level 2)
Isenhart's Lightbrand, Broad Sword (Far Oasis)
Angelic Sickle, Sabre (Lost City)
Blood Crescent, Scimitar (Claw Viper Temple Level 1)
Pelta Lunata, Buckler (Arcane Sanctuary)
Angelic Sickle, Sabre (Arcane Sanctuary)
Dimoak's Hew, Bardiche (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)
Bladebone, Double Axe (Tal Rasha's False Tomb)

And so my Sorceress is sitting on the Lut Gholein docks waiting for my Assassin to catch up.

Speaking of which ...

After finishing Act II there was still a little time left before my weekend came to a close so my Sorceress made a little package of basic items, old gemmed armors, and the Gull Dagger, and I got the Assassin out of the Rogue Encampment. With the Gull Dagger in hand she bulldozed everything this side of the Stony Field. At present she's on the board with one set/unique find:

Screenshot027.jpg

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          28/12   Canyon of the Magi         14

Next up: Work. Good thing too ... because I don't think I could sustain this pace ...

Code:
Y   Hanshotfirst       Sorc/Sin          28/12   Canyon of the Magi         14
Y   Maltatai           Druid/Druid       15/7    Dark Wood                  4
Blundering bear begins by brainlessly brawling because better best-practises becomes bolder barbarians, but basically boring beings blandly befits big B-team.
Paul the boring bear has stepped unto the moor and transformed into a lumbering oaf...sorry, transformed FROM a lumbering oaf into a hairy and overgrown lumbering thug instead. He had a less lucky beginning than Paul and found no gems of very much interest but having little fallen ones flee before the werebear is always amusing. Who is the real monster here, really?

Tord meanwhile collected a couple of more diamonds and skulls and proceeded to rescue Cain. The investment in werewolf was a good decision since he runs out of mana almost at once but can still get by decently with a fast normal attack. With feral rage and a regeneration rate of 13 not much put a dent into the werewolf. It's just a fur wound in any case.

If you leech life as the feral rage orb circles on your left it looks like the orb has a red comet tail. And apparently jumped out from the druids tail the very moment the druid slapped the smith on his face. Such a brutal and animalistic fighting style the druid have, don't you think?

1d6.JPEG

It occured to me that against more enduring opponents it is quite workable to stand still and target the area behind the enemy in order to grab a screenshot without the name of the monster. I haven't actually thought about doing that regularly before.

1d7.JPEG
Tord found another wolf head, with not only two points in werewolf but also in lycanthropy, and that is valuable indeed for a character with base vitality. Tord and Paul will attempt to wield savage partizans as early as possible but then spread some points into vitality.

1d8.JPEG

Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High