OT: The Daily Thread

Wow, this was buried a few pages down and no post in over a month!

RL: Hanging my radiant tubing underneath the floor this morning, then staining my kids bathroom walls, then starting on the wall to our foyer with a target of putting all the wood around the closet so we can use it today.

D2: not today.

OVG: Found an amazing game on steam called Dark Bestiary which has been sucking up my gaming. A bit of D3 mixed in as a I finish along the path to get the new pet.

RL: UK is under lockdown 2 until Wednesday. Still working from home.

D2: Running 1.00 Normal Cow King for boots. I finally get Treeharl’s guide. Some OK finds so far but nothing in the good category.

OVG: Not at the moment.

Bought a new mouse for my laptop, it has a button when pushed the wheel is rolling without stop.

for what is this??
Scrolling pRons real fast?

• Haha
Reactions: Pb_pal
Bought a new mouse for my laptop, it has a button when pushed the wheel is rolling without stop.

for what is this??
IDK. Maybe so it doesn't do the 'click'? I don't like it.

RL: Daughter turned 1 a few days ago! Exciting! Thanksgiving was relaxing this year. Maybe because I didn't have to rush everywhere and wasn't around a lot of people?

D2: Maybe? Maybe OVG:

OVG: Been playing the Project Diablo 2 mod. It's pretty fun. Enjoyable for now. Was playing online, but realized I didn't want to just rush to baal each game and do runs. The default drop rate is p5, so that may change when I get to hell to start MFing for gear. Not sure. I enjoy questing P8 just b/c of my time in the SPF, and getting to Andy at level 12 instead of 18 just feels wrong.

Reactions: Vang
RL: Was unofficially told I was in the running to be groomed into a lead role at the new (about 2 months now) job. Not sure yet if it comes with a significant pay increase, I will absorb the training first regardless. The job is going quite well, it's a great fit for my work ethic, and I seem to be appreciated and am on the right path to big things. Exciting times! I've also made a new friend quite recently, and I'm just in very high spirits! That pendulum swing has started back towards the growing side, and I'm loving the ride!

D2: Doubtful.

OVG: What are those? I found a 20-something year old source book for Star Wars RPG, I might thumb through it. Looks neat! I guess that would fall under "NVG" or, Not Video Games 🤣

RL: moved back to Missouri. Accepted new job in private sector. Also got my medical Marijuana card. Just because I could. Thats been way cooler than I anticipated. Not really a fan of smoking it. I found these low dose edibles that are pretty good. Pop one in the morning and my overall mood throughout the day is way improved. Beats anxiety and depression pills. Would recommend.

D2: Pally and necro are running untainted and both are sitting in Act 1 hell. Going to spend a few hours today leveling a sorc.

OVG: using Shadow PC to play some AAA games at ultra settings. Its pretty awesome. I think I'll probably move away from building another gaming pc and stick to this

Reactions: Swamigoon
Hello, i'm back. May I know why we migrated here from diabloii.net? thank you, kind regards.

RL: Was unofficially told I was in the running to be groomed into a lead role at the new (about 2 months now) job. Not sure yet if it comes with a significant pay increase, I will absorb the training first regardless. The job is going quite well, it's a great fit for my work ethic, and I seem to be appreciated and am on the right path to big things. Exciting times! I've also made a new friend quite recently, and I'm just in very high spirits! That pendulum swing has started back towards the growing side, and I'm loving the ride!

D2: Doubtful.

OVG: What are those? I found a 20-something year old source book for Star Wars RPG, I might thumb through it. Looks neat! I guess that would fall under "NVG" or, Not Video Games 🤣
Glad to hear life is showing its bright side again!

OMG, you don't mean the pre-D20 Star Wars RPG? I still have some stuff from it around, but sadly it wasn't continued... I think it has been at least 20 years since I played it?

RL: yesterday started quarantine for my 5 yo daughter - one child from kindergarten had a positive covid test. Guess who has to stay at home with her while working from home? Good thing is - if she is negative we can visit my parents on Christmas.

D2: no D2 the last few weeks.

OVG: About to finish Witcher I. Some MTGA now and then. Got sidetracked by discovering Broken Sword I was available for mobile.

NVG: played the Dark Eye (German fantasy RPG) again thanks to video call technology. Also, played the same RPG wit my 8 yo daughter and a friend of hers again - they are having a blast!

@Uthanak: The old site has been neglected for months by the owners. A bug prevents people from joining the site since Nov 19 or so etc. Basically it seems like a matter of time till the old site gets shut down for good. There is also a post by Rush in the general forum where he explains some of it.

RL: Finished the electrical in the foyer yesterday. Not hard, but ran into a problem with the light and couldn't figure it out for around 2 hours (the negative wire was broken at the power somehow, cut the cable down some hooked it up and bam worked) Good thing is the (future) room/loft above it will be ready for power from the breaker as well. Now to finish the walling around it today.

D2: Nope.

OVG: More Dark Bestiary. Got to level 52 after a run this morning. Not sure I want to hit 100, but the uniques I find are cool and want to see what type of character to make next. Maybe HS to clear out my weekly/daily quest.

OMG, you don't mean the pre-D20 Star Wars RPG? I still have some stuff from it around, but sadly it wasn't continued... I think it has been at least 20 years since I played it?
Yes, the West End Games version, looks like it runs on D6.

I didn't look closely at which edition/printing it is, but it's certainly the same cover as the 1987 first edition listed on the Wikipedia page. It's currently packed up in some things I pulled from my dad's belongings that I am interested in keeping. I'll have to fetch it out and thumb through it, maybe we can talk about it, or have some remote sessions!

RL: Been keeping very busy, and thriving. Things are going so great, I'm starting to feel suspicious. What is this happiness doing, and why is it here? 🤣

D2/OVG/NVG: None to speak of. Been focusing on housework, improvements, land work, and job.

• Love
Reactions: Grisu and queenEm
I actually have Anima installed on my smartphone, but I haven't actually taken time to try it out yet. Thanks for reminding me!, @Jpy ! I also installed one called The Dark Book, and tried it a couple of times, but I haven't done much with that game either.

Reactions: Jpy
@logoutzero: hah! That's the one! Dear lord, that brings back memories... I think the last time I played it I was maybe 14? Hope that happiness stays with you!

RL: so my little one's Covid test yesterday was negative and we're enjoying the first time outside again. On the not so bright side though... My 8 yo is in quarantine now since Wednesday, because of one classmate with Covid 🙈 and a shutdown has been announced starting 16th December, the day when we could end her quarantine with a negative Covid test...

On the bright side though: my holiday started, and other than emergencies and 3 medical estimates I will have some time for my family and myself.

D2: still not playing. Will pick it up over the next few weeks again.

OVG: maybe 3 or 4 games of MTGA. No time for anything else. Still a few hours short of finishing the Witcher 1.

NVG: Well, board games with my children... If that counts?

Had an interesting listening to Limited Resources podcast (about limited play style for Magic the gathering) where LSV mentioned his top 5 impactful games on his life. Was interesting to think about it for myself and I came up with the following list:

5. Secret of Mana - I am still in love with that game and probably played it from start till finish for 5 times at least. Also, I love the music!
4. Lots of other pen and paper RGGs (the ones from White Wolf, CoC, Shadowrun and many many more!)
3. Magic the gathering - probably the best game ever invented, but I am not smart and/or competitive enough to really appreciate all its nuances.
2. Diablo 2 (no explanations needed, I guess... This community is so awesome and I am glad to be proud of it! and the amount of time invested is probably staggering...)
1. The Dark Eye (German pen&paper RPG, equivalent to D&D, but low fantasy). Started playing 29 years ago when I was 8 and it resulted in some of the best experiences in life (game wise and regarding friends, but also building creativity, character and self-confidence and much more )

So, what are your favourite, most memorable games?

First, for a specific title. Final Fantasy, the first and original for NES. This was the first action/command RPG I ever saw, and I was terrible at it. My video game experience up to that point had been all arcade, action, and puzzle games, so an open world, with a quest plot, was entirely alien to me. I worked, and worked, and played 'til my fingers bleed (okay, not literally) and could not complete it. During the rockiest time of my parents' marriage, I have very fond memories of packing up my Nintendo and spending the weekend with my father at his best friend's house. They would play wargames, and I would play my Final Fantasy. I lucked into finding the Nintendo Power strategy guide for the game, and finally was able to beat it! The game solely responsible for my interest in RPGs and fantasy in general.

Magic: The Gathering also holds a very special place in my heart. I haven't played in years, the game has changed SO much, and it feels perverse to me now. I started playing right as 5th Edition came out. Back when there was a turn structure, a stack. The game was so methodical and mechanical, and and that point, there was very little power creep. I cofounded a Magic Club at my intermediate school (5th and 6th grade) and taught many people the game, including teachers. One classmate went on to open a game and hobby shop as an adult, and credits me directly for teaching him the love of the hobby. Over the years I played many CCGs, including Pokémon, Star Wars, and Dragonball Z. None ever came close to the class and sophistication I felt with MTG.

Starcraft was the first computer game I got very serious about. Introduced to me by the same friend that later went on to open Game On Chattanooga, I loved the animations, the sounds, and the story. I burned through seemingly countless America Online free trials (each disk of the software came with usually 80 free hours of connectivity) just playing on B.Net. I eventually played BroodWars and enjoyed the story, but competitively it was an entirely different game, and went on to become quite the player. Never to the level of the Koreans playing professionally, but I was able to deploy several micro and macro strategies. I lived on B.Net. Met my first love on StarCraft. Moved to California, got engaged, bought a house, the whole nine. That's about the time I found the SPF...

Diablo actually deserves more of a memorable mention than D2 for me. I installed the shareware version (came with StarCraft I think?) on my computer one day, and I became hooked. I swear I must have made it to level 12 clearing out those first two dungeon levels. When I heard about Diablo II (a friend's little brother was playing it) I burned copies and went to town. I wasn't able to play on B.Net because using his CD-keys, but I remember feeling like I beat the game when I bested Andariel for the first time. Then, what's this? Another level?! ZOMGS!!!! That's when D2 took over.

I played many MMOs as well, but the best for me was always Final Fantasy XI. World of Warcraft felt very childish and gamey to me; where FFXI felt like chess. The combat reminded me of MTG quite a lot. Slow paced, and methodical. Mages starting spells that come at the end of a combo before the combo even started, because the spell charge time was so long. The subjob system was phenomenal to me, I loved the flexibility to mix and match, even if a handful of combinations were more meta than others. I did spend the better part of a decade active on Entropia Universe (started when it was known as Project Entropia) and eventually had a slew of people essentially employed under me. Had I not moved out to the country a few years ago (remember? I told logette the only way we could move was if there was high speed internet, the cable company said they serviced the address, but were mistaken...) I'm certain I would be able to generate a full time, livable income from playing that game alone.

There are several extremely memorable titles from my childhood and young adult life, Final Fantasy IV, VI, VII, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG(can you tell I fell in love with JRPGs?). I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas one year, and pretty much the only RPG worth playing in my book was Phantasy Star IV. I surely spent a lot of time with Sonic the Hedgehog, then sort of re-discovered Megaman. So many IPs and games have come and gone, but these are most of the memorable ones I can think of.

IRL: More decorating, cleaning, and working on a special gift for a friend.

D2: My poor Randoms probably feel like I've abandoned them...

O/NVG: Probably not.

Reactions: Grisu
Had an interesting listening to Limited Resources podcast (about limited play style for Magic the gathering) where LSV mentioned his top 5 impactful games on his life. Was interesting to think about it for myself and I came up with the following list:

5. Secret of Mana - I am still in love with that game and probably played it from start till finish for 5 times at least. Also, I love the music!
4. Lots of other pen and paper RGGs (the ones from White Wolf, CoC, Shadowrun and many many more!)
3. Magic the gathering - probably the best game ever invented, but I am not smart and/or competitive enough to really appreciate all its nuances.
2. Diablo 2 (no explanations needed, I guess... This community is so awesome and I am glad to be proud of it! and the amount of time invested is probably staggering...)
1. The Dark Eye (German pen&paper RPG, equivalent to D&D, but low fantasy). Started playing 29 years ago when I was 8 and it resulted in some of the best experiences in life (game wise and regarding friends, but also building creativity, character and self-confidence and much more )

How can you not put D2 first? Do you have any idea where you are? *kicks Grisu in the shins*

RL: Not really. No sports and since i refuse to put something that doesn't help and restricts my breathing in front of my face i can't even get groceries. Have to order them in.

One more week of work (from home) and i'm done with work for the rest of the year (or in other words i have 2 weeks vacation).

OVG: I've taken over the guild, so i'm the guild leader now. Only spotted our previous leader online for like literally 2 mins, just a week after i did that. Since i was just in the middle of something i didn't even have the time to ask him anything, like why he left or if he was planning on coming back. And haven't seen him since.

Won't be long before i have to start thinking about kicking people. There's a limited amount of players that can join and we're nearing that. Plus there's a lot of inactive players. So if i wanna keep this active it'll have to happen (even though we're doing ok right now). Don't like it, but it'll have to be done.

As far as the stronghold goes we're at the boring part. Lvling some side buildings. But we need those lvled in order to be able to upgrade the guild hall. One more to go before we can get to the better stuff.

My cleric and rogue are progressing quite nicely. But overall i'm a bit worried. There's some massive upcoming changes to the game and i'm not sure how all that is gonna impact my chars. Just that it will. So that makes my chars a bit stagnant. Normally i'd try to get some better gear, but right now i don't know what better gear will be in like a month or so when the changes hit the live server. Highly annoying with the holiday since i get to play a lot, but can't really make any real improvements on my chars. So for now lots of it is just gathering currency and hope i have enough to make a difference when we get there.

• Haha
Interesting list @Grisu

RL: First day of kids break and it has been crazy. I've finally finished most of the Foyer and am just getting the mudroom part of it done. Work tomorrow then off for the week.

D2: None yet, no desire at this time.

OVG: Battlegrounds I'm kind of hooked on again. Started a Conan Exiles server so messing around with that and a RL buddy joined. Some Last Epoch and Minecraft Dungeons mixed in. (Bought the season pass for that)

Top 5 list of games and impact.

1. Diablo franchise. I've invested years playing since D1 came out. I can't put it at one in particular as each have had a share with D2 getting the biggest share.
2. MTG. Paper crack started it all.
3. Star Wars Galaxies, I loved that game and what it entailed, also met the man who become my best man at my wedding playing it (which in turn helped my best friend realize his life was crap and by me shafting him out of that role got his act together and he is doing well for himself now and I was honored to be his best man last year)
4. 7 Wonders board game. First non-mainstream game I played that I got hooked on. The majority of my friends in RL play board games and we game weekly (until this year)
5. My own board games I have in prototype stage. It keeps my interest in gaming to more than just a hobby, but part of my life. I'll get another on Kickstarter in the next year or so.

RL: Hanging in there, looking for the right job. Moved right before the pandemic hit which was literally the worst possible timing(n) on the plus side I have lots of free time.

D2: Still chugging along trying to complete my first ever HC Solo Untwinked run, still just farming gear.

Top 5 list of games and impact:
Diablo 2 -Not much to be said here 18 years later and I'm still playing it, on a fan message board and still going strong. I've met a lot of IRL and virtual friends through this game some of which I'm still in contact with. I think Diablo 2 is one of the greatest games ever, fantastic story, great re-playability and it aged really well.
Deus Ex (Original) - I picked this up from a $5 bin at a grocery store not knowing anything about it as a kid. Its one of the first games I can remember ever fully completing. The story is amazing, its dark and gritty and its one of the few games similar to Diablo 2 where the mood/setting/vibe can give you the willies. I was hooked on this game and spent an entire childhood summer playing it.
TimeSplitters (1 or 2) - This is a comedic FPS game. The re are 3 TimeSplitters the first one is an amazing multiplayer game there is no single player story to speak of. However if you have a friend there is hundreds and hundreds of hours in re-playability on the various challenge modes my neighbor and I spent many many hours trying to complete all the different type of multiplayer minigames. The second one has a story mode but also continues on with the multiplayer games and is probably the best aged TS game. 3 has a much bigger sprawling story but is really kind of meh overall, it was good back when the online multiplayer was active but now its kind of a shell of a game. The game is filled with references to pop culture and hilarious to boot, who doesn't love shooting a walking fishbowl.
Morrowind - The first real fantasy adventure game I sunk my teeth into, sure I had played Dragon Quest or Phantasy Star as a kid but this was the first game that really captured my full attention and I immersed myself in the world. Unbelievable game for its time and honestly even today. You put all the Elder Scrolls games in front of me and I'm tossing Oblivion into a dumpster and popping Morrowind in to play. I can remember being in school and just day dreaming about getting home and playing more.
Streets of Rage - Growing up I spent a lot of time at a family friends restaurant and they had an arcade machine with Streets of Rage. He unhooked the change thing so I could play for free I spent many many days in this side scrolling brawler and any time I see it I smell pizza.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vildecor and Grisu
Anyone tried AnimA for phone? It’s no D2 but I’ve been without a PC for a while and this was the closest I could find to something that’ll scratch the itch for mobile: https://www.animathegame.com/#
Yes, I tried it, actually have 5 chars atm all around lvl 100.

Nice graphic and some skills are exactly what D2 should be, the offline option is a great bonus and no annoying ads. Definitely worth a try.

Reactions: Luhkoh
Diablo 4 Interactive Map
PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High