Time to stop lurking

Bobbo

Sep 22, 2018
Well hello there.

Off-and-on long-time lurker here. Well, back in the day somewhere around the time when synergies came out (1.09/1.10 ish?) I was mostly reading guides and never fully grasping some of the finer concepts of the game, guess I should have had a look at the SPF. Just running b-net trying to trade to get up to speed, and just running meph for days. Never had anything fancy except for full tal's and full IK.
Over the years I came back from time to time but always got bored as soon as the ladder reset. Back in those days I had no idea there were such things as RWM... Frankly, I never knew there were all these fancy runewords apart from enigma and hoto. Both of which were way out of my league.

Fast forward until this year and I installed the game yet again, finding the RWM and all the fun that brings. I can't quite grasp how I missed such gems as spirit etc.
Anywho, I installed, and started running SP, found some things i'd never found before, like a Cham. However, lurking these forums I had one problem, I had installed the game with a certain mod that won't be named, let's say it can unlock things that are not allowed here, i didn't run those things though, I just wanted a bigger stash and RWM.
As time went on, I started feeling dirty running that mod, so I reinstalled, got rid of wine and started running natively on my mac, and installed rwm and gomule instead.
Bad news, lost my Cham.. Too bad, but on the other hand, that was in SC and I had moved on to HC anyway.

So now I'm running a HC blizzy. She's lvl 85 and running pindle for items and exp and LK for runes. I guess she's still considered untwinked since she's my only character even though I mule stuff off and on her, meaning, if I can keep her alive, she might get entered into the untwinked 99 challenge... Not sure where i'd find the time for that though ;)

So yeah... sorry for the wall of text... If you got this far, i'll just conclude this with saying that looking at other intro threads, I've done my homework, the shin guards are strapped on and my wallet is secured so good luck with the kicking and stealing.

Bobbo

Nice of you to get into delurk mode :). Welcome here. O hey, what's that there, behind you? ***manages to steal wallet anyway, but hurts his own shins in the process***

Good luck with the Blizz Sorc !! Had any luck running Pindle yet? I recommend making a CtA as soon as you can, so hopefully LK will be kind to you. O yes, and join that untwinked 99er challenge anyway. It's too much fun not too, and you don't have to see 99 as a goal, it's all just one big journey.

Do you have any other characters as well, or any plans in that direction?

What lovely pants you have. Well sure, I'd love to have them. *steals pants*

A point of interest... Although it is traditional to swipe the pants of a newcomer, in the UK 'pants' are actually underwear not trousers. Thus, every time I do this, I feel just a little bit like I should be arrested for it.

Also, join the untwinked 99er challenge or the squid shall visit. Oh, and welcome to HC, I feel like we are a little closer to 50:50 on the forum now :p

Welcome, @Bobbo, from another recent delurker. :)

One thing I've learned in my long time lurking / short time posting is, the SPF means never having to say you're sorry for a wall of text. :D

Another is that, if you go to the [Guide] SPF Mat/Pat/Guardian Build Compilation v5 pinned at the top of the Index page, and go to the Hardcore section, and read the posts with asterisks, you'll find all sorts of ways you can set yourself free from the perpetual struggle to find Stuff You Have To Have. Besides, reading these posts will give you something to do while your mouse hand is recovering from the RSI sustained in Pindle/LK runs. :D

Full Tal's and Full IK set are still great, even for B.net. They're solid, strong setups for their respective builds, but a lot easier to get on B.net than SP. They're good enough, although typical enough, to be obtainable on B.net, although very different mindset from the SPF.

Welcome to the SPF. You obviously know to protect your wallet, but... That won't be enough. We also like pants, or, in @Kitteh 's preference... Underpants.?

*steals key to unlock shinguards*

Don't mind us. You have lurked enough to know that we mean well. The less pants and wallet you have, and the more your shins hurt, the more likely you will sit down to recover, relax and play D2!

+1 to reading the Mat/Pat/Guardian compilation thread.
+1 to HC Blizzy sorc (best of luck with farming some more items!)
+1 to post as many wall of texts in the EMB (our bar,) ITF threads, and casual threads as well.
Please feel free to PM the mod if you have any questions regarding mod status/the mod who must not be named. Thyiad and other mods know of this very well, and are actually very friendly and welcoming. The SPF has been an amazing community, and we have stuck around for the community and bonds we have built here! (Now playing PoE, and no longer spamming D2 stuff. XD)

Again, welcome, please spam up the EMB as much as you'd like, and enjoy yourself!

Welcome @Bobbo!

What lovely pants you have. Well sure, I'd love to have them. *steals pants*

A point of interest... Although it is traditional to swipe the pants of a newcomer, in the UK 'pants' are actually underwear not trousers. Thus, every time I do this, I feel just a little bit like I should be arrested for it.

You should be arrested @Kitteh, let's hope nobody steals his trousers since he is effectively going commando because of you!

If Kitteh puts all the pants he steals over his head when we are having our weekly group game, preventing him from singing, I'm completely fine with him stealing them.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! And thanks for all good tips!

@T72on1 have fun with that decoy wallet ;)
And @Kitteh, nice pants-stealing technique there, but geez, that wedgie though.

@T72on1 not much luck with Pindle no, but I dit get rewarded by LK for going legit and dropped a Ber rune. Feels like that makes up for the lost Cham.
I think I should be doing more meph runs instead, but I rolled a pretty nice LK map at the cost of a shitty meph map, so Pindle will have to do :) I think things will pick up when I get a bit more MF.
When I have a bit safer gear I think i'll go on to AT, but I wouldn't dare go near that place yet :)

No other characters yet, they were all wiped when I reinstalled to get rid of the nasty mods, but more characters are always part of the plan but we'll see when. I will probably let the drops from the sorc dictate what comes next. I'll have to reorder my stashes as well to make sure I don't mix in gear from other characters with the sorc to keep her eligible for the 99er challenge.

With a titans revenge in my stashes an LFzon is looking like the next step if nothing else comes along.

You guys failed to notice he was equipped with a chain drive wallet. Whilst the removal of the shin guards and subsequent kicking was going on, I made my way into the fray and unsnapped the chain from the wallet. Of course this was before @Kitteh stole his trousers only to come up empty handed in his attempt at the wallet. At this point I noticed the wallet was indeed a fugazi and figured out the OP was wearing one of those chest harness style carriers under his shirt that contained yet another false wallet. After all that work, I was still empty handed because his money was in a zippered pouch on his shoes. The younger kids here may not remember a cool thing back in the 80’s were shoes with a zippered pouch on the side. I did get a couple twenties and his Diners Club International card.

@darkstarhub between you and @Kitteh, you'll have the poor guy stripped down to his Birthday Suit.

*surreptitiously hands @Bobbo some of Ormus' Robes*

Welcome to the SPF. Since you have basically been stripped of all worldly possessions and your shins are sufficiently bruised, I will just offer a friendly hello.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High