Issues with D2 after windows update

T72on1

Feb 12, 2016
This night I had a big windows update. This morning, after I had booted up my computer and the update had finished, I started D2, and suddenly had major loading issues. Starting up the game takes very long, even between some of the startup screens (the Blizz logo and such) it takes really long, loading a new game takes very long, same for S&E.

Also, when I try to go to BNet, I'm stuck at the 'checking versions' screen.

I did some googling and checked the official forum, but haven't got a clue what to do to be honest. I tried shutting down the computer and starting back up, but to no avail. I'm inclined to do an uninstall and then a fresh install, in the hopes of solving the problem, but thought I'd post here first. Maybe anyone here has an idea what I can do?

Just for the sake of being complete: the only other thing I also did before starting D2, besides the win update, was finally installing winzip, zipping my D2 folder and adding that to my Google Drive, instead of just putting a backup on the HDD of my computer. I wouldn't know how that would cause my issues, but I thought I'd mention it here anyway, because you never know.

Thanks !!

Do you run as Administrator mode and in compatability mode Win XP (service pack 2)?

No. But I also didn't do that before. And I tried both after the troubles. But no difference.

Not that I can necessarily add anything but Windoze 10 and 1.14d? Can you roll back the service pack?

And it did for me as well.

I still can't understand how a win update can mess it up like that.

Does your backup version of d2 on ur hdd run normally or just as slow?

Do you have a separate hdd as ur 2ndary drive? Perhaps ssd on main and hdd as the other?

Edit: jusy following my train of thought, with winzip and zip files in general, can you play the game without unzipping the game files? Im imagining a scenario where the game files were zipped, and when it tries to play, it sort of zips and unzips when tries to open and save. But im not sure if thats even possoble lol

Edit2. Can you mount google drive as a vietual drive? And play from there? I can also imagine a scenario where one plays from a virtual drive with pings that could delay loading and saving. Again, im not knowledgable enough to know if its possible, im just commenting with a 'perhaps'.

Last edited:
Well.. my win 10 also updated last night and I've just discovered I have the same problem. Looks like it's universal.

By the looks of it, it's got issues with resolution switching during load screens (they are completely blank for me). You can use -w for windowed mode as a temporary solution because it works just as well as before. Apart from being tiny..

Edit: Gynli, that thought crossed my mind, loading issues == zipped chars, although it's really farfetched :D But we've ruled out winzip as I do not have it installed.

I had considered a problem with the files being zipped, but since @Albatross is having the same issue it can more than likely be ruled out. You gotta love software updates that for some reason screw things up that didn’t even have anything to do with the update. Kinda makes me glad that I reverted back to Win7 after the Win10 upgrade was installed without me prompting it to be installed.

I hope you guys can figure out what’s going on. Anything I can think of I am sure you guys have tried. Before 1.14d came out I could not get D2 to run at all, and with some patience I got the game and GoMule working. There is one weird thing that happens though, when I take a screenshot. At S&E a quick flash of the last screenshot I took shows, probably less than a second, and the game goes back to the main screen as usual. When I start a new game, the same thing happens, a quick flash of that same screenshot, and the game launches. If I completely exit out of the game and restart it, this does not happen, unless of course I take another screenshot. Weirdness in these old games for sure.

Just got back and tried D2 myself cause I had an update just the other day as well; and it runs fine without any noticeable lag.

For reference, I am running Win 10, 1.14d, with Glide Wrapper, on 1024x768 windowed. Oh and as administrator.

I've tried using windowed mode from the glide wrapper, that also runs normally, but I can't stand the glitchy mouse pointer on stretched windowed mode.

there is a fix for that... second let me check the glidewrapper settings...

View attachment 9616

disable that yellow one for glytchy mouse pointer modus off (it worked for me) did a lot of good things for me!!

I first de-installed the two updates from yesterday. That didn't help, so then I rolled back to the previous build. That solved my problem !!! :)

Only strange thing is that I still can't get on BNet. Still stuck at the 'checking versions' screen.

I could not connect to Bnet either, so I downloaded the latest 1.14d patch and installed in manually. After that, I can connect to Bnet

I am glad that you can run D2 smooth again!

there is a fix for that... second let me check the glidewrapper settings...

View attachment 9616

disable that yellow one for glytchy mouse pointer modus off (it worked for me) did a lot of good things for me!!

Definitely trying this when I get home, thanks a lot!

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High