Best Set for a Druid (not Aldurs)

Nesjan

Aug 8, 2017
Hello there, me again working on my project to complete Hell with the 5 best builds for each character. I have also decided to incorporate the character specific Sets to go with one build. Example i am currently working on building an Avenger to go with Griswolds Legacy. Im planning Phoenix Striker Assasin with Natalya's Odium, Trangouls with Venomancer and etc you get the point.
Anyways my problem is Aldurs sucks really bad and by no means am getting through Hell never mind players 8 Hell with it on a Druid. So im wondering what everyone thinks i should use in place of Aldurs and with what build. I was thinking The disciple with Windy or a physical build of some sorts, but after doing some research it seems a lot of people think The Disciple sucks. So any input would be awesome!! Best Set to go with a build for a Druid! Thanks

For physical, Orphens Call.

Complete Set Bonus
+85 To Life
Attacker Takes Damage of 5
All Resistances +15
+100 Defense
+10 To Dexterity
+20 To Strength
80% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

+A GREAT SHIELD

+Open weapon slot :p

For caster setup I'd go with Naj's.

Whether you decide on being a wind or fire druid, both will benefit tremendously from Naj's teleport charge as well as the other additional benefits it provides. Furthermore, as Naj only require 3 items to complete, it can be easily supplemented by other items to fill in its gap.

With a bit of theorycrafting, my proposed setup will allow you to hit 7-8 frame fhr bp allowing you to bypass getting locked in recovery animation hell, and 12 frame fcr bp which will allow you to spam your spells at an adequate rate. The setup will also provide you with ample amount of life, mana, resistance not to mention defense to allow you to safely traverse through your playthrough with little to no hassle. Lastly, I'd like to mention that aside from the arachnids and sandstorms, the entirety of the setup is rather cheap to field.

As for the details:

Naj's Set
helm (PRuby)
armor (PRuby)
main/off (Jewel: Fhr)

Boots
budget - aldurs: can't go wrong with this; tons of hp, res, and r/w (be sure to have a 5% fhr sc in inventory to meet 7 frame fhr bp)
ideal - sandstorm trek: will let you hit 7 frame fhr bp; res, stats, r/w and high def is a nice addition

Belt
budget - crafter caster: ≥ 8 fcr/res/hp/str
ideal - arachnids

Gloves
bloodfist: great hp and fhr

Ring1
crafted caster/rare: fcr/res/hp/str

Ring2

Amulet

For a melee build you could use the IK set; choose those items that help you accomplish goals and hit it hard. Maybe go with a big Ribcracker Stalagmite instead of IK Crusher, altho the crusher adds elemental damage too. Perhaps stay with Jalas for helm.

I think the biggest problem with Aldur's (and all the original sets) is that the weapon isn't elite. There was a big debate over on the battle net forums awhile back. A bunch of people were asking Blizzard to add a recipe to upgrade set items, similar to the unique/rare. If that was the case you could up Aldur's weapon to a Devil Star, which would do almost 2x average damage and might be more hell viable.

I think the biggest problem with Aldur's (and all the original sets) is that the weapon isn't elite. There was a big debate over on the battle net forums awhile back. A bunch of people were asking Blizzard to add a recipe to upgrade set items, similar to the unique/rare. If that was the case you could up Aldur's weapon to a Devil Star, which would do almost 2x average damage and might be more hell viable.

I get that. However, you could use fire claws, rabies or elemental skills. You could even supplement with a grizzly.

problem with aldur's set is you can completely outclass it by much easier to attain items that can be worn much sooner which would provide arguably better bonuses.. off the top of my head for melee: insight (for the price to make it has everything you can ask for for a melee), lore pelt, smoke, goblin toes and likewise for caster: insight (what with its fixed 35% fcr, with 2 fcr rings and magefist/trangs, you can easily attain your druid's 68% fcr bp, it'll also allow free up your merc to wield more useful polearms like random 5% amp spear/reapers/kelpie/etc), lore pelt, smoke, rare/crafted boots.

problem with aldur's set is you can completely outclass it by much easier to attain items that can be worn much sooner which would provide arguably better bonuses.. off the top of my head for melee: insight (for the price to make it has everything you can ask for for a melee), lore pelt, smoke, goblin toes and likewise for caster: insight (what with its fixed 35% fcr, with 2 fcr rings and magefist/trangs, you can easily attain your druid's 68% fcr bp, it'll also allow free up your merc to wield more useful polearms like random 5% amp spear/reapers/kelpie/etc), lore pelt, smoke, rare/crafted boots.

I'm not saying that you can't, but that doesn't mean that Aldur's can't be used to get through Hell - that is what I'm saying :p

IK fury Druid.

I’ve done this one and it’s pretty good.

Me too, works pretty well with Jalal’s. only trouble is you don’t complete the set.

The Disciple is good for melee, the fact that it includes Laying of Hands and leaves weapon choice completely open is awesome.

@okey Insight sucks on a melee Druid - no on weapon IAS.

I would go:
Ethereal Oath Feral Axe
The Disciple
Jalal’s / Cerebus’ Bite
Ravenfrost
Dual Leech ring

Last edited:
not really. take a moment and consider that insight consists of only low runes. look at all the mods it has to offer, then look at the runes needed to make it.

for what it has to offer, no runewords comes close to what it provides.

sure it lacks ias mods but for what it has to offer, that is very reasonable.

i mean in a single pass i can easily make 7+ insights perhaps even more (this is not even considering the fact you can cube up amns to sol).. and with all the possible socketed white/eth polearms you pass by you can easily make more than enough to go through the entire game at a comfortable pace with out worrying about lack of damage.

whereas if you stick your hopes on a unique or something like oath, you will have to pray really hard for that specific midrune to drop in order to up that unique/make that runeword that may or may not drop for you.

For physical, Orphens Call.

Complete Set Bonus
+85 To Life
Attacker Takes Damage of 5
All Resistances +15
+100 Defense
+10 To Dexterity
+20 To Strength
80% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

+A GREAT SHIELD

+Open weapon slot :p

For caster setup I'd go with Naj's.

Whether you decide on being a wind or fire druid, both will benefit tremendously from Naj's teleport charge as well as the other additional benefits it provides. Furthermore, as Naj only require 3 items to complete, it can be easily supplemented by other items to fill in its gap.

With a bit of theorycrafting, my proposed setup will allow you to hit 7-8 frame fhr bp allowing you to bypass getting locked in recovery animation hell, and 12 frame fcr bp which will allow you to spam your spells at an adequate rate. The setup will also provide you with ample amount of life, mana, resistance not to mention defense to allow you to safely traverse through your playthrough with little to no hassle. Lastly, I'd like to mention that aside from the arachnids and sandstorms, the entirety of the setup is rather cheap to field.

As for the details:

Naj's Set
helm (PRuby)
armor (PRuby)
main/off (Jewel: Fhr)

Boots
budget - aldurs: can't go wrong with this; tons of hp, res, and r/w (be sure to have a 5% fhr sc in inventory to meet 7 frame fhr bp)
ideal - sandstorm trek: will let you hit 7 frame fhr bp; res, stats, r/w and high def is a nice addition

Belt
budget - crafter caster: ≥ 8 fcr/res/hp/str
ideal - arachnids

Gloves
bloodfist: great hp and fhr

Ring1

Ring2

Amulet

For a melee build you could use the IK set; choose those items that help you accomplish goals and hit it hard. Maybe go with a big Ribcracker Stalagmite instead of IK Crusher, altho the crusher adds elemental damage too. Perhaps stay with Jalas for helm.

I think that you are being harsh on Aldur's. I mean, it isn't amazing, but for a four piece set I don't see why you can't get through Hell with it? With the exception of the armour's level, it isn't so bad as to make it unusable.

IK fury Druid.

I’ve done this one and it’s pretty good.

Me too, works pretty well with Jalal’s. only trouble is you don’t complete the set.

The Disciple is good for melee, the fact that it includes Laying of Hands and leaves weapon choice completely open is awesome.

@okey Insight sucks on a melee Druid - no on weapon IAS.

I would go:
Ethereal Oath Feral Axe
The Disciple
Jalal’s / Cerebus’ Bite
Ravenfrost
Dual Leech ring
Thanks everyone for your input and ideas!! I like the IK Fury Druid idea but im trying not to use the same set twice in my project. I think i am going to go for either Orphans Call with a physical build, Najs with a caster build, or The Disciple with a physical build. I am weighing the pros and cons for each and think it will be one of these three.

PurePremium
Estimated market value
Low
High